PDA

View Full Version : Brian, Doc, Disney experts?

Darrell KSR
05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Scenario--although will be in Orlando six days (really only 5 full ones), will only have two "free" days (it's a soccer thing, combined with travel plans). Had no plans to visit Disney, but since my son and I will be there anyway, my wife and daughter may tag along. They are thinking of going visiting places they haven't visited before, like Cape Canaveral, east coast beach, etc. for two or three days, then the four of us at least visiting Disney for two days. My son may fly down to meet us as well.

So....what is your recommendation for someone with only two days to spend at Disney? I'm normally not the "fast pass" kind of person, but this would have to be an exception. Of course, I'm "frugal" if there are any deals to be had somehow, someway (unlikely, I know).

I don't even know what parks we would attend. I'm THINKING Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom? Waste of precious time to do a park hopper for a day and try to split something?

Suggestions?

Darrell KSR
05-24-2016, 12:01 PM
I don't think it matters that much, but daughter just turned 17, likes all things Disney (will be her 4th trip in the last two years), son is 15, and actually isn't a huge thrill ride kind of person. Daughter likes Harry Potter; son does not.

Son that might be joining us is a young adult, will be almost 24 by the time he visits. (And his money for the flight if he chooses).

KSRBEvans
05-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Darrell, a 2-day base ticket (no park hopper) would run you about $215/ticket. A 2-day ticket with park hopper will run you about $274/ticket.

http://www.mousesavers.com/regular-walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/

If I only had 2 days, I'd probably do Magic Kingdom and Epcot and not get the hopper because IMHO you can't do those parks justice in a half-day.

If you were thinking about Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios, you can probably do either of those in less than a day, so you could get a hopper and do them both: Studios in the morning/early afternoon and the rest of the day at Animal Kingdom, for example. But $59 extra/ticket is real money--that would pay for lunch & dinner.

I know you may not want to use FastPass, but FP+ allows you to book your 3 ahead of time, so it can be helpful in planning your day. It can also be helpful if you're not planning on being at the park at park opening. For example, you could be planning on doing 1/2 day at DHS and 1/2 day at AK. You can be at DHS early and do rides there without FP, then go to AK and use your 3 FP there, avoiding long lines at those attractions which will exist by that time. Or if your group sleeps in, you can roll in around 11-noon and plan your FPs for the afternoon.

Lots of things are opening in the parks this summer, so depending on when you're going you may see some new things. Epcot has a new ride (Frozen Ever After) in Norway (don't ask), and they're premiering a new Soarin film (Soarin Around The World) starting June 18. Animal Kingdom is adding some new shows and staying open later, and in the fall they'll be adding a new nighttime show, Rivers of Light. Not much new in MK (they just added a bunch to Fantasyland in the last 3-4 years). The Studios is pretty chewed up right now--lots of construction as they add new Star Wars and Toy Story attractions. But they have a new Star Wars fireworks show.

Hope that helps--if you have more specific questions feel free to ask.

Darrell KSR
05-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks, that's a great start and appreciate the tips. It's the middle of July when we'll be going.

Doc
05-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Parkhopper is worth it. If one park is packed, another might not be. You can tell by the wait time (see the app below)

First, are you staying on Disney property? If so then you can do "extended hours". Each day one park open early and another closes late. If staying on property you can go to that park for those extra hours with your park ticket at no extra charge. You need to check which park is open early and which is late. THIS IS A HUGE PERK! We have annual passes and sometimes spend the night rather than drive home just to get access to the extended hours. You must be staying at a Disney hotel to get this. Also there is a Disney app. You can get your fast passes on it and can be done MONTHS ahead of time. (Keep in mind that Disney fast passes are FREE, even to frugal people). Also has wait times which are constantly updated and accurate and all parks have free wifi access so accessing it in the park is not a problem. DOWNLOAD IT! If you are going to Hollywood Studios then you need to do Toy Story Fast Pass now as they fast pass won't be available for weeks ahead of time and that ride will have a 2 hr wait. Magic kingdom, its the 7 dwarf mine ride that has a similar requirement but its not as bad. Disney does not sell any "cut to the front of the line" passes which is great! I applaud them for that! Everybody gets a certain number of "fast passes" with their ticket. Use the app to manage them, but you can't buy an extra skip the line pass like you can at other parks.

I would caution you that Hollywood Studio has been redone and is nowhere near as good as it was in the past. Its now mostly "Star Wars" stuff and much smaller. They took out a large portion of the park and are redoing some stuff. If you like star wars then fine but if not, skip it. The Studio was my favorite park but not now. Its my least favorite. Animal Kingdom is doable in less than a day. You can do AK and Hollywood Studio in a day especially if one has early extended hrs and the other late extended hours....but you need a park hopper and staying on disney property. Also if on property, you tickets, room keys, etc will all be linked to a wristband. Its a neat idea but spending can get away from you pretty quick if not careful.

They have upgraded Disney Springs which was downtown Disney. Its restaurants, stores, shopping, bars, etc....Still expensive but is a nice place to people watch. Can rent Amphicars, bowl, movie theater, hot air balloon, etc..... Is a nice way to spend a day w/o going to the park, or an evening dinner then strolling.

PS--one thing to add, on Brian's suggestion above-if you split animal kingdom and Hollywood Studio in one day, do Animal Kingdom in the morning and HS in the afternoon. Animal Kingdom closes early, typically at 7:00 pm while Hollywood studio is going to be open until 9:00 pm. The one thing you don't want to miss at Hollywood studio is Fantasmic which is the fireworks/pyrotechnics that goes after dark. Doing it that way gets you more time in the park plus you can see the fireworks show. Animal Kingdom does not have a fireworks show. Something about animals and fireworks just doesn't mix.

Darrell KSR
05-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Great tips, Doc, thanks much.

Darrell KSR
06-28-2016, 01:54 PM
I understand it is Magic Kingdom and Universal, with a sad nod away from Animal Kingdom. Son is flying in to join us, and he's a big Harry Potter fan, so it got priority over Animal Kingdom, to my chagrin.

I don't think tickets have been bought yet, though. I am going to direct my wife to this thread to revisit, after talking with kids and doing whatever research she did. She told me yesterday it will be a "tough two days," because she intends to be at the parks when they open until they close, and trying to milk every ounce out of it. I've always been one to choose one or the other--be there when it opens, OR when it closes, but enjoy your day, and don't try to put too much into it. I'm losing this one, too (I do that a lot).

Doc
06-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Universal is less expensive and to me, more fun. Of course Univeral has 2 parks, Islands of Adventure which is where H Potter is, and Universal proper. Recently they put a train between the two parks but to ride you must have a park hopper since it leaves one park and arrives at the other. Also I Of A has just opened or will be opening very soon the King Kong ride. Is a 3D one that sounds fantastic.

Tickets thru AAA if a member are likely the cheapest. Can find them cheaper but strings attached ie the time share your.

Darrell KSR
06-28-2016, 02:22 PM
AAA sounds good, Doc. Also sounded good yesterday when my daughter locked her keys in the car. While the car was running. With her spare key in her purse. Also in the car. But at least the keys were air conditioned and cool.

Doc
06-28-2016, 05:09 PM
AAA sounds good, Doc. Also sounded good yesterday when my daughter locked her keys in the car. While the car was running. With her spare key in her purse. Also in the car. But at least the keys were air conditioned and cool.

Been there, done that but my daughter was in Hollywood which is 75 miles south of me.....and she had to be to work in 15 minutes. My reply was call triple A

Padukacat
07-01-2016, 07:04 AM
If i was doing Disney parks in 2 days i would definitely do the first day as Epcot and second day as Magic Kingdom. I would probably buy the park hopper and use it on the first day and finish my day up at Hollywood studios watching Fantasmic, or start there and knock out the few good rides and finish the day up at Epcot, not sure. I do know it would be about 3 hours at hollywood studios and the rest of the day at epcot. I would skip Animal Kindom it always seems to underwhelm to me. Doc is right that hollywood studios is not as good, but they do still have 2-3 of the best attractions at disney to me.

As for the fastpass, its a shell of how it used to work. The lines were increasingly long for the fastpass when we went this year, as compared to years past. You better book your rides on that app very soon if you want to get decent times, they go fast these days. I liked the old days when you could outsmart others with the fastpass. Just had to know which order to do the rides.

As for other disney tips, if you have anyone in the military in your family i would take them with you, its way cheaper with their discount to stay on property or buy tickets.

You are def smart to do universal, but you better stay in one of their hotels to get the discount on their fastpass, its much cheaper i believe and well worth it. The harry potter rides have very long lines so you better do them early. The one that floats through the air and your flying around with harry, do that ride first the line is rediculous. I mean get there early enough to stand in line as the park opens. there is no fast pass for the potter rides, which is why you have to do them first.

Have fun!

KSRBEvans
07-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Darrell, if you only have 1 day at MK these are the basic things I'd do to avoid long lines:

--Book your 3 FastPass+ attractions ahead of time, if possible;

--Arrive at least 40 minutes before the morning opening show (which is 8:40-8:45 for a 9am opening, so you'll want to be through the turnstiles between 8-8:10 if possible). Even though the park officially opens at 9, they'll let people through around 8:45-8:50. That time between park opening and 10 am will have the lowest crowd levels and will give you your best chance of getting the most done before the late risers arrive;

--Have a basic idea of what you want to do and in what order. I recommend hitting the attractions that develop the biggest lines first: 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan (believe it or not because it is a slow-loading/low capacity attraction), Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain.

--When things get to the point where you have long lines just about everywhere, go to the attractions that never have much of a wait but are still fun (IMHO). For me those are Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Carousel of Progress and Enchanted Tiki Room. The latter 2 are kind of corny but they're Walt originals and so they're fun for the nostalgia factor IMHO.

And as far as dealing with the heat, take an afternoon break if possible, or if not, afternoon's a great time to hit attractions that are indoor and air-conditioned, like the ones mentioned above.

If you want to go "next level," there's a great website, TouringPlans.com, with more info than you'd ever want to know. Of particular note are their pre-made touring plans, as well as software for you to create a personalized touring plan based on what attractions you want to do, arrival/departure times, etc. Cost is $12.95.

https://touringplans.com/