PDA

View Full Version : Free Experian FICO score

PedroDaGr8
05-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Discover is now giving away your monthly Experian FICO score for FREE even if you are not a Discover card customer. This is a REAL FICO score (not sure if it is FICO 8 or 9) from Experian.

https://www.discover.com/free-credit-score/

I use CreditKarma to receive their two Vantage 3.0 scores as well. Vantage is sometimes used instead of a FICO score, but more importantly by using two different score types you can get a better handle on how you will score across the over three dozen other private scores that FICO and others give out. Both FICO and Vantage can have blind spots and the results can be a score that varies positive or negative by up to 100 pts. My score actually only varies by 5pts across all three scores as expected though I am looking for ways to get my score into the 800s. Additionally because this is your score based on Experian data, while Credit Karma gives you scores based on your TransUnion and Equifax data it is a convenient way to monitor ALL THREE credit reports regularly. If one drops abnormally, then it might be due to an error that you can take care of.

KSRdallen
05-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Great summary, Pedro. American Express also offers the Experian FICO score, at least with the Delta Skymiles AmX card I use. Being knowledgeable about ones credit ratings is critical.

I like that Credit Karma shows ratings in the various categories and their impact on your scores. There are "High Impact Factors" and "Other Factors" that are shown with the TransUnion and Equifax scores.

Stay vigilant!

EDIT: As Predro points out, Discover offers this even if not a cardholder. AmX offers the score to cardholders, not everyone. Just wanted to be clear. Thanks again, Pedro, for great information!