PDA

View Full Version : Good Afternooon B-Hamomians!!!

blueboss
05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Just a quick howdy, I'll be sliding through in about an hour... I'll honk!!

Hole'n up in Clanton. Any word on that BBQ?

Check that. I65S is a parking lot 50 miles north of the Ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 03:32 PM
I'll check again--

I just had BBQ for lunch at Shane's BBQ with my school's athletic boosters board--excuse for a two hour lunch and barbecue. Hard to miss that.

Little joint off Valleydale Road in north Shelby County. Trying to watch what I eat (somewhat) because I have so many bad eating events coming up, and had the grilled chicken, with their medium hot BBQ sauce, which was plenty hot enough for me. Very, very good. Nice change for me and a different sauce.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 03:39 PM
"Hickory Chip for sit down. Smokin Ts for fast."

I assume they are both good? I asked--

"Delicious! Ate at the chip while there and worked at Ts back in the day but wasn't sure they were still open. They are. all their pork is roasted in an old ass brick oven."

Those are the text messages I received. Reliable source from Clanton.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 03:48 PM
My second source (who warned me not to let anyone know I had Chilton County sources) -

There's a place called Smokey T's that's really good.

Here's the address 404 7th St N, Clanton, AL. 35045

blueboss
05-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks!! I made a pi&& poor job of time management and am creeping through bham right in the middle of rush hour.

Stop and go and stop and stop and stop and go stop.

I also did a pi&& poor job of driver scheduling. Mrs. boss driving in bham rush hour 😳. I need an air sickness bag.

I have her talked into BBQ, can you eat in at Smokey T's?

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm at a soccer field but I think there is a tiny dining area at Smokey T's, but most get takeout. Hey, in Clanton that might not be a bad idea anyway lol.

blueboss
05-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm starting to worry, is Clanton safe??

We went with The Hickory Chip...it was pretty good. Had the ribs, but I would have to say Jim'n Nicks is better.... but I'm not complaining.

blueboss
05-10-2016, 07:54 PM
The other thing is Durbin Farms has some really good looking strawberries. I asked the guy if they'd still be in in two weeks and he said he doubted it. He said if they did they wouldn't be "Chilton County" berries. What I'm hearing is Chilton County berries are world renown.

You Bhamians better get over here quick.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 09:37 PM
You're not going to find me recommend ribs at any barbecue place in Alabama (but that could be my bias). Dreamland is the popular choice, but when I think of Alabama BBQ I think of pork. I even wince when my wife orders BBQ chicken barbecue chicken, although that's what I ordered today myself.

Glad they were OK though. Appreciate the tip on the strawberries. I'm generally all about the peaches, but I like the strawberries, too!

blueboss
05-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Side note:

We survived through the night in Clanton...

Darrell KSR
05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Side note:

We survived through the night in Clanton...

They make T-shirts for that. Proud Chilton County Survivor!

It's fine. Has a reputation for being inbred a little. It's not East St. Louis.

CitizenBBN
05-11-2016, 08:16 PM
It's fine. Has a reputation for being inbred a little. It's not East St. Louis.

If it were East St. Louis he wouldn't have posted that he survived. Maybe a brief "HELP!" or something requesting the National Guard.

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Are peaches selling yet in Clanton? If so, I may have to stop and get some tomorrow on my way back to KY. Peach enchiladas sound great this weekend.

dan_bgblue
05-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Trucker, a brief online search indicates they are still 2-3 weeks from the peach harvest and sale at roadside stands

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Are peaches selling yet in Clanton? If so, I may have to stop and get some tomorrow on my way back to KY. Peach enchiladas sound great this weekend.

Always a summer thing for me. I think it starts in June.

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Always a summer thing for me. I think it starts in June.

Thanks D and Dan. I'll get some eventually this summer. Have you ever made/tried peach enchiladas?

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 05:53 PM
I have not, but they sound intriguing.

Here's a pretty good story on Durbin Farms from Southern Living magazine...

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-central/best-peaches-in-alabama

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-18-2016, 06:09 PM
I have not, but they sound intriguing.

Here's a pretty good story on Durbin Farms from Southern Living magazine...

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-central/best-peaches-in-alabama

Same recipe as apple dumplings. Just a different fruit and name.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Very cool.

Heading back through Clanton tomorrow, eh? My plans are to travel through Clanton Friday, but sometime around 10-10:30. I have to be in South Alabama around 1-ish, or I'd make it later so I could have lunch at Durbin Farms. I may do it anyway.

Same recipe as apple dumplings. Just a different fruit and name.

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
http://www.food.com/recipe/peach-enchiladas-245735

Just replace the canned peaches with fresh ones from Clanton or upstate SC and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Easy and taste amazing.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Yum.

blueboss
05-19-2016, 12:08 PM
I'll be going back through on Saturday, I'll update the peach/strawberry status,,,

Darrell KSR
05-19-2016, 12:16 PM
I clicked on the Durbin Farms website, and they talked about the peaches being almost ready, and they'd be picking them in May. Maybe they are ready earlier than I thought. I hope so; they are very good and worth the sideline trip off the interstate. Then again, a boiled peanuts stand is worth the detour as well. A CVS drugstore is worth getting off I-65. Well, you get the drift...

blueboss
05-21-2016, 01:31 PM
We screwed up and missed the Durbin Farm exit but we stopped at the 212 exit where the giant peach is. It's more of a roadside stand kind of place.

They had strawberries that the lady told me they had picked this morning.... They're delicious, they also had peaches which I haven't tried yet but the nose knows and they smell delicious.

I also picked up a watermelon, the old timer told me they were FL melons. After two weeks at the beach you'd think I'd be tired of melons....oh wait!!! I slipped off there a little bit.

Should be rolling through Bham here shortly, as always I'll honk as I go through.

blueboss
05-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Howdy Hooverites!!!

blueboss
05-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Wife's driving now, II need Dramamine, Valium, and blinders!

Fortunately traffic is pretty moderate today, for the most part. Made it through Bham!! Thanks for the peaches and berries. See ya next time through!!