PDA

View Full Version : Best wishes to one of my original Navy Blue Angels

Darrell KSR
05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
To Kelly. She's getting married this weekend.

Kelly was one of my favorite players ever. Hard headed, smart, determined, you name it. In second grade we had to split teams and I "recruited" her from the other team. Her parents were not happy and I had a long telephone conversation with them to explain how it occurred and what the school's policy was. Before the 2nd game they had already apologized to me and thanked me for guiding their daughter.

Over the years we became great friends with the family. Their daughters matched up with our two oldest daughters, and the third daughter was just a year different. Kelly became my team captain, and if I needed to get the team's attention, all I had to do was to tell her, and she had the respect of her teammates.

In 4th grade, our school's athletic director approached me during the summer at a basketball camp my son was attending and asked if I would coach for him during the coming year. I said of course, John, I always coach basketball. He said, no, I need you to coach volleyball.

After my protests of not knowing anything about the sport fell on deaf ears, I became the 4th grade volleyball coach. Then 5th, 6th, etc., although I recruited a stellar coach in the 7th grade to help me (read-coach the team, while I watched). Kelly was a better volleyball player than a basketball player, and she became a very good high school player. Her parents asked me about playing in college. I had to give a pretty blunt opinion, that although she could play in college, it would not be at any school on her dream lists, and her social life would be volleyball as well. Nothing wrong with it if you love it, but she made a mature decision to abandon official sports in college and went to Auburn - where she met a young engineering student, fell in love, and will be married this weekend to him.

In the "small world" category, he was good friends with a girl I used to coach, and who was on Kelly's team, who moved away in the 6th? grade. Allie became reacquainted with Kelly when they both went to Auburn and just happened to bump into each other on campus after not seeing each other for six years. Allie introduced her to Michael, and the rest is history.

Kelly asked my daughter to be a bridesmaid, and my son to be a groomsman, and invited all 7 of us to the rehearsal dinner, with my wife being invited to anything the moms are invited to, as well as to the bridesmaid luncheons. She tells everyone that we are her true second family.

We've been through practices together, through many games throughout the years, through girl scouts, school plays, and science olympiad competitions. The kids have been to school together, to church together, and celebrated every major event in each others' lives.

Kelly, you're a special lady, and Michael is lucky to have found you. I have become acquainted with Michael over the last two years, and he's a special young man as well.

May you both enjoy the love and happiness that you are experiencing now for the rest of your lives, and thank you for including us in your lives.

And this is why I'll never regret always saying "yes" when I've been asked to coach kids. Kelly enriched my children's lives, and my entire family's lives, with her very being. It is an honor, indeed, soon-to-be Mrs. Navy Blue Angel, that I was allowed to coach you in school. You're a terrific young lady. Best wishes to you and Michael.

kingcat
05-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Great story D. I wish them a lifetime of happiness too.

Darrell KSR
05-13-2016, 11:43 AM
I may try to sneak a pic here of the happy couple. Rehearsal dinner tonight is at Vulcan, Birmingham's iron statue that oversees the city, and maybe I can get a pic of them with Birmingham in the background.

CitizenBBN
05-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Just a shame she had to go through all that mediocrity with what should have been the gold standard navy blue angels.

;)

I miss that thread.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
05-13-2016, 09:29 PM
We're about to leave, but wanted to post this bad pic of Kelly when I coached her. They included this pic in the ones on the projector tonight.

Darrell KSR
05-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Kelly and Michael were married off to each other Saturday night in a glorious and elegant wedding. We had church pictures made with them immediately after the ceremony, and I felt like I was giving away my own daughter. Almost. :)

I needed a break from the reception, and walked outside about 10:30 Saturday night where their 1954 Rolls Royce was waiting to carry them away, and talked with the owner (who was very protective of his gorgeous baby). They came out a few minutes later to have some pictures made with the car before they "escaped," and the bride hugged me and told me how happy she was that we were a part of her life. What a tremendous young lady. I know she was happy then, and probably would have hugged the light pole and told it she loved it, too, but just a great weekend.

EDIT--here's the car. Pretty elegant, I thought.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53442c49e4b070c12a6b407b/t/5344692be4b06157f446a4dc/1396992305974/Helen+1954+Rolls-Royce+Silver+Wraith+James+Young+Birmingham+Bridal+ Carriages

CitizenBBN
05-16-2016, 07:36 PM
I was going to ask how they talked you into loaning them your car.

Darrell KSR
05-16-2016, 10:34 PM
I offered my 1974 El Camino, original rust and 311,000 miles, but they turned me down.

CitizenBBN
05-16-2016, 11:09 PM
I offered my 1974 El Camino, original rust and 311,000 miles, but they turned me down.

Turned down riding out of there in the back of an El Camino? man, they missed their shot at the brass ring for sure.