PDA

View Full Version : When2Leave.com

Darrell KSR
05-09-2016, 09:30 AM
I follow LifeHacker, which has some pretty cool articles daily. One of them was on this new website. My son was starting a new job today downtown, and I thought it would be kind of cool to plot the time necessary to commute the house to his job. I also did that for both of my offices, the school and which I sometimes teach, and my children's high school.

I don't know that it is all that different from Google Maps and Google now, but they claim it varies in some small respects and eventually a nap will be billed for it. It is ideal for those with a flexible schedule, as it has a feature where you can be alerted when the commute time reaches a certain point. Anyway, I thought it was kind of cool.

This morning it took 34 minutes for him to commute to work at 7:30, but it was 26 at 7:00. At 7:11 it was still only 28, which seemed to be the prime time to beat. (After that, the minutes started increasing quickly.) At 6:49 it was 25 minutes.

My office today was 7 minutes at 6:49, 7:15, 7:30, 8:00 and every time in between I checked. Nice to work close!

Critter
05-09-2016, 02:27 PM
I know people in Atlanta and other large towns that say you'll arrive at the same time with an hour to an hour and half leave window just because of traffic.

Darrell KSR
05-09-2016, 02:59 PM
I used to say that when I worked downtown, I had to leave before 7 or after 8. I didn't put in my old office address, but I suspect that hour would be the worst of the day, easily, headed that direction. But I used to say it would take 20-25 minutes before 7 or after 8, and an hour in between. That was probably a little exaggeration, but whatever time it did add, made it a miserable, miserable drive.

MickintheHam
05-10-2016, 09:07 AM
I remember the days of working in The ATL and living in Birmingham. Sometimes I would commute on a daily basis. Other times I stayed in Midtown Atlanta and walked 6 blocks to work. Many times I would hold a 9:00 am meeting with a group of my peers to discuss progress on completing a large special project for our common supervisor. Whether I drove 150 miles or walked I was always on time. But it always amazed me how people would drag into the meeting between 9 or 10. (posted work hours began at 8:00am) No one thought anything of it. It was very normal in Atlanta. But I suspect few of them ever thought of adjusting their commute schedules to be on time. That's one of many things I hate about the ATL.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Bless your heart for working in Atlanta. I had a job interview there coming out of school and declined the job offer when it took me 90 minutes to make it to the interview. When I mentioned the transit time to one of the guys during my interview process, they acted like that was normal and I knew it wasn't for me.