PDA

View Full Version : Kasich out

Doc
05-04-2016, 12:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGA9xN7X4nM

LINK (http://www.wsj.com/articles/kasich-cancels-campaign-event-plans-to-deliver-statement-1462376975)

So it looks like its going to be Donald "making America Great" Trump vs Hilary "what, those weren't top secret e-mails" Clinton because Ted "I've got a VP candidate but nothing else" Cruz has nobody else to tag team with

KSRBEvans
05-04-2016, 01:25 PM
IMHO Trump was a stalking horse for Hillary, and Kasich was a stalking horse for Trump. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kasich dropped out only after the last Trump opponent conceded, even though it's been clear for at least 3 months that he had 0 shot. Mission Accomplished, John.

I'm starting to talk myself into voting Libertarian this fall. I think I'll get there by November. I have some problems with some of their policy positions, but I'm pretty confident their candidate will be preferable to either Hillary or Trump.

Doc
05-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm starting to talk myself into voting Libertarian this fall. I think I'll get there by November. I have some problems with some of their policy positions, but I'm pretty confident their candidate will be preferable to either Hillary or Trump.

But they have zero chance of winning. For me, its once again voting for the least objectionable which means I'd vote for Clinton only if the GOP put up Lucifer or OBL. Of course I would have voted for her over Obama (and said that 8 years ago to anybody who would listen) which tells you what I think of him and his policies.

Darrell KSR
05-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I can't vote for either candidate. I just can't. There's no way I can vote for either. I find both candidates so reprehensible that my conscience will not allow me to vote for the "lesser" of two evils.

Frankly, I don't think it matters which piece of crud is President. I'll complain regardless, and I won't listen to anyone who says I have no right to complain because I didn't vote for/against the one who is elected. When forced with this choice, it's impossible.

bigsky
05-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Classic south park conundrum.

Darrell KSR
05-04-2016, 06:01 PM

CitizenBBN
05-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Im' going to pull for Trump for two reasons:

1) Trump has a host of issues, but he will not sell the country down the river to our enemies for personal gain. Hillary is already doing it. He may do 1,000 other crazy things, and I don't think he's some ethical pillar of his community, but he'll be so busy with all the other fires he started he won't get far down that road.

2) I just want to see what happens. Hillary's term will be totally predictable and horrid, whereas Trumps will be utterly unpredictable and horrid but for less serious ways.

It will be many things if he wins, but it wont' be boring or politics as usual. If nothing else his style will do little real damage, whereas Hillary could actually accomplish things, all of them going in the wrong direction.

Seriously guys, try to imagine the fun side of a Trump Presidency. We haven't had someone this crass and tasteless in office since the early 1800s when Andrew Jackson's supporters partied so hard in the White House and wouldn't leave that they finally carted the booze onto the lawn so everyone would go outside and they locked the doors.

This could be a lot more fun than you think. It's not like anything will get done, and that's a good thing too! :)

CitizenBBN
05-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Oh, and I predict this will be the lowest voter turnout election in a long while. If that happens it favors Trump, his base is smaller and his negatives are big, but his base is energized.

I'm not sure people will show up to vote against Trump even as unlikable as he may be, they just wont' show up.

Doc
05-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Way I look at it, the country survived 4 years of Jimmy Carter and 8 years of Barack Obama. No reason it can't withstand 4 years of Trump

KeithKSR
05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
But they have zero chance of winning. For me, its once again voting for the least objectionable which means I'd vote for Clinton only if the GOP put up Lucifer or OBL. Of course I would have voted for her over Obama (and said that 8 years ago to anybody who would listen) which tells you what I think of him and his policies.

I told a co-worker on 2008 that she would regret voting for Obama, told him all the things he really stood for. By 2010 she told me I had nailed his political agenda and she wouldn't make that mistake twice.

Like you, I do not see a reason to throw a vote away on a third party candidate who is going to fail to get 5% of the vote.

KeithKSR
05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
With Trump I don't see politics as usual, and both parties will be struggling to react.

DanISSELisdaman
05-05-2016, 08:19 AM
The biggest problem with voting for Hillary, is that during her term, there could be enough liberals appointed to the Supreme Court, that this country will never dig it's way out of the dump they will drag it into. We "MIGHT" survive 4 years of Hillary, but the aftermath will take this country down.

CitizenBBN
05-05-2016, 02:03 PM
The biggest problem with voting for Hillary, is that during her term, there could be enough liberals appointed to the Supreme Court, that this country will never dig it's way out of the dump they will drag it into. We "MIGHT" survive 4 years of Hillary, but the aftermath will take this country down.

That's exactly the problem. I don't know who Trump will appoint, but between him and the senate I bet it's better than anyone she'll appoint.

suncat05
05-05-2016, 03:40 PM
The one thing I do like about Trump is that in some matters he very well could be totally unpredictable. Now that is certainly a good thing when it comes to dealing with troublemakers like Iran, or that little turd in North Korea. And I also think his unpredictability will make the Chinese & the Russians very uneasy too.
While I am not a Trump fan, his approach to some problem solving and his negotiating acumen may be exactly what we need at this point in history.
And I firmly believe that he will surround himself with very politically knowledgeable people who will give him good advice, unlike the disaster that sits in the Big Chair for the last 7+ years and just will not follow any advice given because, you know, he's the smartest guy in the room..........

suncat05
05-05-2016, 03:50 PM
And Congress.......he needs to be willing to reach out, but also willing to slap some faces if he needs to. JMHO.

KeithKSR
05-05-2016, 08:32 PM

We definitely don't need to tilt SCOTUS anymore to the left.

KSRBEvans
05-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Can anyone really say that Trump wouldn't do that? He's gone on record as saying his sister, who stood in favor of partial-birth abortion, would make a great SCOTUS justice.

CitizenBBN
05-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Can anyone really say that Trump wouldn't do that? He's gone on record as saying his sister, who stood in favor of partial-birth abortion, would make a great SCOTUS justice.

No I can't, but I know what Hillary will do for sure, and there will be a lot more leverage with Trump than Hillary.

KeithKSR
05-06-2016, 06:16 AM
No I can't, but I know what Hillary will do for sure, and there will be a lot more leverage with Trump than Hillary.

Definitely agree. We know Hillary will nominate some one on the far left. Trump at least says he will nominate justices in the mold of Scalia.

One thing is definite, whoever is running as the Libertarian candidate won't get a chance to make a selection.

Catonahottinroof
05-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Not sure why people think Trump is conservative, he's not.

CitizenBBN
05-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Not sure why people think Trump is conservative, he's not.

I'm certain he's not, but if it's between him and Hillary, who is WAY not, then he wins that contest.

Dont' get me wrong, I think this election more than any other since maybe the 1800s shows just how failed we are as a nation and as a political process. But that's still going to be the choice, and with SCOTUS nominations and some other serious questions facing us it's still an important decision.

In truth he's not a conservative, but she's not a liberal. They're both just opportunists. I find Trump more palatable than Hillary, but I most definitely don't like my choices.

I'll be curious who Trump names as running mate, who he puts forth as a Cabinet. IMO that's a bigger deal than usual, and will tell us some things.

KeithKSR
05-06-2016, 03:20 PM
I'll be curious who Trump names as running mate, who he puts forth as a Cabinet. IMO that's a bigger deal than usual, and will tell us some things.

I saw an interview with Trump yesterday. He was asked about possible Dem running mates, he nixed that quickly. Said his running mate would be a Republican. There were some names tossed out by the media, all have been conservatives.

Doc
05-06-2016, 08:52 PM
I saw an interview with Trump yesterday. He was asked about possible Dem running mates, he nixed that quickly. Said his running mate would be a Republican. There were some names tossed out by the media, all have been conservatives.

I suspect it will be Chris Christie

badrose
05-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I suspect it will be Chris Christie

Christie is not a conservative. He'll need a conservative to shore up the base.

KeithKSR
05-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Christie is not a conservative. He'll need a conservative to shore up the base.

Rumor has it Christie would be the AG in the Trump administration.

Doc
05-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Rumor has it Christie would be the AG in the Trump administration.

I could see that as well, and likely a better choice for him. Kasich delivers OHIO which is key for the GOP. Rubio can deliver FL but I don't think that will happen with the bickering that went on between the two. I don't think Trump needs Cruz to pull Texas because that's going to the GOP anyway. Kasich is the most logical pick. Him or "the Admiral"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1w3FgB0Ohc

PS: yes, I know Stockdale is dead

KeithKSR
05-09-2016, 03:40 PM
I could see that as well, and likely a better choice for him. Kasich delivers OHIO which is key for the GOP. Rubio can deliver FL but I don't think that will happen with the bickering that went on between the two. I don't think Trump needs Cruz to pull Texas because that's going to the GOP anyway. Kasich is the most logical pick.

I think the reason Kasich stayed in the race so long was to be considered for VP.

badrose
05-09-2016, 03:45 PM
I think the reason Kasich stayed in the race so long was to be considered for VP.

That would be a good move.

Doc
05-09-2016, 03:57 PM

I agree and also believe why he didn't go so negative. It would be a wise compromise to help bring back the more "establishment" aspect of the party without selling out since Kasich isn't a hard core establishment guy.

Christie was named to head Trumps "transition team" today.

dan_bgblue
05-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I think Kasich did not wallow in the mud with the rest as he knew the old adage. He did not get hammered by the press as his candidacy was considered to be a loser by the media. He presented his ideas and views hoping there were enough "normal" voters that would listen to his thoughts and support him for the nomination. Sadly we are witnessing the new normal at work. Kasich on the ticket as VP "might" help derail the Billary train

CitizenBBN
05-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I"m hoping for Kasich as the VP choice. I supported him more than any of the others and while the VP choice is a token choice, it would still make me feel better about the ticket.