PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security

badrose
05-03-2016, 09:40 AM
I run a few programs, the newest one being an anti-ransom beta version (Malwarebytes) after being crippled a couple of times by the same a-holes who were the instigators to begin with then want money to fix it. This morning I find out my license # for AVG no longer works (even though it doesn't expire until November) and when I called them I spoke for about 20 minutes with a "support" person who said I had conflicting services and they would be happy to get rid of them for $129. When I said No they countered with "how about $49?" I said no again, ending that conversation.

AVG used to be quite a good service but after doing a search it appears they've gone downhill.

Just wondering how the gurus here protect themselves. Which services do you use?

dan_bgblue
05-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Eset Nod 32. I buy a subscription every 2 years and it runs about $65.00 for the 2 years. Unobtrusive, does not interfere with any of the other programs running on the PC, not a memory hog, and since I have been running it, about 8 years, I have not been infected with anything. I think it was either BE or CBBN that recommended it way back when.

CitizenBBN
05-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Eset smart security. I have a couple of issues with it, mostly the firewall settings bc it's like wrestling an octopus, but the protection is very good and it's not a resource hog.

I need to go back to virus bulletin and see who is doing the best currently, esp versus the ransom ware.

Sent using Forum Runner

dan_bgblue
05-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I also keep the Widows security software up to date.

CBBN am I stupid for relying on the router firewall for protection?

suncat05
05-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Don't laugh.........PC Matic

CitizenBBN
05-04-2016, 09:06 AM
I also keep the Widows security software up to date.

CBBN am I stupid for relying on the router firewall for protection?

Routers are good for blocking incoming attacks against ports and such, and I have a router firewall at every location.

But they don't typically monitor outgoing traffic, so if you get a virus that communicates with the outside world that is likely to go right through unnoticed. The firewall on the PC can monitor each application and port and watch to see what is going on.

Windows has a firewall that does some of that, but it needs to be configured to monitor things, and the third party ones are usually more complete.

Eset's is good in that it monitors every app and port and I have set it up to tell me of any communication I haven't approved. So when it first starts up I have to approve the browsers, email, etc. and then they're done, but that way if some other app gets on here and tries to talk I'll know.

It's also useful for learning what apps are doing that you dont' know about. I'm on Windows 7 and Microsoft really wants to move Win 7 to Win 10, and they have two services that go out and talk to them and gather and send data for just that purpose. I have them blocked so they can't do that. I also find unknown updater software and such that way. I don't download many programs but when I do I like knowing if they ever try to reach out past my computer I'll know about it. Without the firewall on the PC I'd never know what they are doing.

dan_bgblue
05-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Excellent info, and explained so that even a computer doofus like me can understand.

Thanks