PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Confederate monument to be removed after 120 years

dan_bgblue
05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
50 years from now text books will have no mention of the Civil war

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/01/kentucky-confederate-monument-to-be-removed-after-120-years.html?intcmp=hpbt3

bigsky
05-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Jefferson and Washington are next

CitizenBBN
05-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Yep.

That statue honors those who died fighting for the Confederacy, and given that all were Americans all who fought in the war should be honored.

Doc
05-01-2016, 02:44 PM

I'll assume for fathering children with slaves

WoodstockCat
05-01-2016, 04:33 PM
This is a hideous path we are treading down. No one would stand and say that America is without fault and mistakes but to literally try and erase history rather than be guided by it is just a capitulation to the loudest voices of the mob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
05-01-2016, 04:53 PM
This is a hideous path we are treading down. No one would stand and say that America is without fault and mistakes but to literally try and erase history rather than be guided by it is just a capitulation to the loudest voices of the mob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But those who object to the erasing of our history are labeled as racist. Many who fought and died for the confederacy were not slave owners or supporters of slavery.

KSRBEvans
05-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Reminds me of this discussion (http://www.kysportsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27067-Get-your-copy-of-Gone-With-The-Wind-while-you-still-can&highlight=Confederate) from last summer.

They say it's being relocated. My guess is it'll be next to (in) a disposal site soon enough.

CitizenBBN
05-02-2016, 12:42 PM
"Relocated" but with no new location chosen. Thats political talk for "removed".

I have more understanding of a statue honoring a particular person or the Confederacy in general, but this particular monument was to those who died for the Confederacy, and those were just decent folk who answered the call and did what they thought was best for their home and country. Put it next to a statue honoring those who died fighting for the Union, all of them were Americans and Kentuckians and all deserve their honor.

To me its like the anti-war effort in the 60s spitting on a soldier b/c you disagreed with the war. You can disagree with the war and the politicians, but the men serving are just doing what they feel is their duty to the country and their people, and you can't fault someone for that.

KSRBEvans
05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
1 of my favorite movies is "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon." There's a scene in that movie where a Soldier, Trooper "Smith," dies in an Indian raid. Although he was known as "Trooper Smith," everyone (including the Confederate soldiers who were now serving in the Cavalry Troop) knew he was actually a former Confederate General.

There's a scene where the Troop Commander (played by John Wayne, in one of his more underrated roles IMHO) not only permits the former Confederates to have a funeral for him rendering Confederate honors but officiates at the funeral, with a makeshift Confederate flag the Regimental Commander's wife had sewn for the occasion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5vrw3wQXc0

I just love this movie for so many reasons, not the least of which is how John Ford displays the noble idea that you can disagree with another so much about a topic that you'd be willing to go to war against them over it, but you'd still honor your opponent's personal valor and honor. To me that's one of the things that's missing from the current discussion of this issue.

CitizenBBN
05-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Great post bevans and I know that movie well, that series is one of my favorites.

That theme is also picked up in Rio lobo.

Fat too many Americans haven't watched enough John Wayne movies to learn how people should behave in decent society.

Sent using Forum Runner

suncat05
05-02-2016, 03:55 PM
We are way beyond that point in our country now. Way beyond.

dan_bgblue
05-02-2016, 03:57 PM
I have to be second to say Great Post BE, but I do not mind as it is deserving. Your words and the example from the movie are so true, and so timely in this discussion.

Thanks!

dan_bgblue
05-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Not without a fight (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/03/judge-blocks-louisville-from-moving-120-year-old-confederate-monument.html?intcmp=hpbt3)

suncat05
05-03-2016, 12:30 PM
To deny our history is to deny who we are as Americans. Be it good or bad, it is an integral part of our national heritage.

CitizenBBN
05-03-2016, 10:38 PM
To deny our history is to deny who we are as Americans. Be it good or bad, it is an integral part of our national heritage.

What I don't get is why the liberal black leadership is so intent on erasing from the collective knowledge the very hurdles their forefathers were so proud to overcome. They are in essence denying the struggles of their own fathers and mothers and dooming us to forget lessons that everyone needs to hear about and learn.

it's the exact opposite of what one would do if one was concerned about educating people about bigotry and equality. They should be insisting that we never forget, but instead they are taking the 1984 solution of simply eliminating words and concepts from the language and discussion so as to make them non-existent.