blueboss
04-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Just saw a headline Prince found dead. I have no further info.... Yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
04-21-2016, 12:54 PM

KSRBEvans
04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
What a loss. What an artist. The word "genius" gets overused, but he's one of the ones it truly applies to. RIP.

blueboss
04-21-2016, 01:15 PM
He was a musical genius and often overlooked as one the best ever guitarists...butter.

His work with upstart musicians was tireless too. He made a lot of careers in the music world, or at least gave a lot of musicians a shot.

badrose
04-21-2016, 05:00 PM
The guy could tear up a guitar. It's a great loss. RIP

PedroDaGr8
04-21-2016, 07:18 PM
I didn't know this but this is an interesting little factoid:

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/music/prince-may-have-helped-save-louisville-library-from-closure/

Doc
04-21-2016, 08:08 PM
I didn't know this but this is an interesting little factoid:

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/music/prince-may-have-helped-save-louisville-library-from-closure/

Pretty neat.

Saw him in concert back in December of 1982 on the 1999 tour in Rupp. Was at in his hay day. Was a unique individual, and this world needs uniquiness, otherwise its pretty damn boring.

kingcat
04-21-2016, 10:01 PM
What a loss. What an artist. The word "genius" gets overused, but he's one of the ones it truly applies to. RIP.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I read somewhere that he had been asked to change the lyrics on one of his songs from rebelling against the devil and he substituted the word elevator for devil..retrospectively odd I thought.

There will no doubt be some conspiracy theories because of his independent way of doing business

Doc
04-21-2016, 10:40 PM
I too think genius is over used, thus would be hesitant to consider him one but do find him an exceptional talent. In honor of his passing, my top 10 Prince songs

10. “1999” - Album: “1999”-the title song off the album the sent him to the big time. Had all the things that make a song great in the 80's.

9. “Raspberry Beret” - Album: “Around the World in a Day”-Catchy tune that resparked a career that was about to fade into nothing. Probably the most important song as far as keeping him relevant.

8. “Purple Rain” - Album: “Purple Rain”-Theme song from his big him movie and most will have it as the top song. I didn't because I'm difficult. Enough off the beaten path to be unique which is what was his "things", being different.

7. “I Would Die 4 U” - Album: “Purple Rain”-another catchy tune complete with the hand gestures made popular in the movie. Probably the best "pop song" in the movie.

6. “Cream” - Album: “Diamonds and Pearls”. Pure Prince. Loaded with sexual innuendo

5. “Kiss” - Album: “Parade”-Prince or Tom Jones? You make the call

4. “When Doves Cry” - Album: “Purple Rain”-best song from the movie IMO. Certainlyl the biggest hit.

3. “Little Red Corvette” - Album: “1999”. His first big hit. Had the catchy riff and big cross over to "white audiences" that took him mainstream.

2."Darlin Nikki" - Album: "Purple Rain"-not a well known one but MY favorite. This song blew my mind at the time. Watching him "Stroke off" his guitar in the movie was shocking at the time. NEVER FORGET THAT!

1. “Let’s Go Crazy” - Album: “Purple Rain”-This is just a damn fun song!!!

KSRBEvans
04-22-2016, 07:29 AM
I like your list, Doc. A couple of underrated songs that warrant consideration in a top 10:

--"DMSR" from the "1999" album. Made an appearance in "Risky Business," which seems appropriate. That song gets down.

--"I Wanna Be Your Lover" from his 1979 self-titled album. That's the first time I remember hearing Prince. Very catchy hook--you could tell he was going to go places.

UKFlounder
04-22-2016, 11:02 AM
I think 1999, Rasberry Beret and Kiss are my favorites, with Purple Rain, When Doves Cry and Let's Go Crazy not far behind. Little Red Corvette is good too

Doc
04-22-2016, 01:59 PM
I like your list, Doc. A couple of underrated songs that warrant consideration in a top 10:

--"DMSR" from the "1999" album. Made an appearance in "Risky Business," which seems appropriate. That song gets down.

--"I Wanna Be Your Lover" from his 1979 self-titled album. That's the first time I remember hearing Prince. Very catchy hook--you could tell he was going to go places.

I pilfered a list off google then moved them around and tweeked it a bit.

KSRBEvans
04-22-2016, 02:37 PM
I just watched the "New Girl" episode with Prince. Very funny. Weird to watch him and think that he was alive less than 48 hours ago, but now he's dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGcASPRu0Q

MickintheHam
04-22-2016, 03:40 PM
I confess to knowing absolutely next to nothing about Prince. He never crossed my radar. I mean I could name one song, but only one song. I must admit in retrospect I am in awe of the number of songs he wrote...and wrote well. Seems like the last decade or so, he became a very decent sort of individual. I like that.

blueboss
04-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Any word on COD?

bigsky
04-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Any word on COD? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk OD on prescription meds I heard.

Vote Yes on I-182

KSRBEvans
04-25-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but a co-worker who's a Jehovah's Witness said that Prince (also a JW) needed hip replacement surgery but wouldn't do it because it required a blood transfusion. If that's the case, the OD theory seems plausible--maybe trying to control the chronic pain through overuse of prescription meds.