PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's car with Check Engine Light Code

Darrell KSR
04-07-2016, 09:23 PM
So... Do I need to take this to the mechanic, or is it ok?

She lost her gas cap in October and got a replacement one from Autozone, and I'm wondering if it just isn't a good fit.

She's low on gas, and I seem to remember having some issue with my old Volvo when the tank got low, so just kept it full and it seemed to work. No idea if that contributes either.

Anyway, this is the Code from my handy dandy OBD II reader thing.

Catonahottinroof
04-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Replace the gas cap. It's the most common and is usually a cheap fix.

Darrell KSR
04-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Will do, thanks. That sounds great.

CitizenBBN
04-07-2016, 09:51 PM
yep, it's the gas cap 99% of the time. Replace it, ignore it, but either way curse the federal government for the heaping piles of regulations that make every car cost thousands more and then they wonder why the disadvantaged have a hard time getting by.

kingcat
04-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Try electrical tape. You know.. Put it over the check engine light.

bigsky
04-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Try electrical tape. You know.. Put it over the check engine light. This. It's generally where a guy plugs a little thingamajig in the whatchamacallit and resets it.

kingcat
04-07-2016, 10:42 PM
If not the cap the vent solenoid is usually the next on the list of likely failures.
Evap Sensors are notorious for problems too.

- faulty vent control valve
- blockage at the vent hose, vent filter or vent control valve
- open or short in the vent control valve circuit
- bad charcoal canister
- EVAP system leak
- faulty EVAP system pressure sensor
- bad vacuum switching valve (VSV) (Toyota, Lexus)
- stuck open purge valve (solenoid)

KSRBEvans
04-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Did you check the "Check The 'Check Engine Light' Light"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMhp2ShPVQw

blueboss
04-08-2016, 08:33 PM
It may need a new 710

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
04-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Id' try percussive maintenance.

KeithKSR
04-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Tank isn't holding pressure. Most likely the above mentioned gas cap. Sometimes you can just take the cap off and retighten it.

Carolinawildcats
04-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Darrell

This happened to me in a Toyota I had. I had to replace the Gas cap 3 times. I finally had to get one from Toyota for it to hold take pressure and not kick the light back on. I assume you are getting it reset after replacing the gas cap? Many times your computer will not reset itself once you make the correction.

Peace

Richard (CW)

KeithKSR
04-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Darrell

This happened to me in a Toyota I had. I had to replace the Gas cap 3 times. I finally had to get one from Toyota for it to hold take pressure and not kick the light back on. I assume you are getting it reset after replacing the gas cap? Many times your computer will not reset itself once you make the correction.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Our Buick had the Check Engine light on for over a year, no apparent problems. My daughter left the key on and killed the battery about three weeks ago. Check Engine light has been off since.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour is needed to actually reset the computer.

dan_bgblue
04-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Our Buick had the Check Engine light on for over a year, no apparent problems. My daughter left the key on and killed the battery about three weeks ago. Check Engine light has been off since.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour is needed to actually reset the computer.

It has reset the computer every time I have done that. Many times the light does not come back on for months.

Darrell KSR
04-15-2016, 10:11 PM
I reset the check engine light with the app and the bluetooth OBD II scanner I had. We had already taken the gas cap off and put it back on. I figured if the check engine light came back on after that, I'd buy a replacement cap. It hasn't come back on (yet), so I'm going to leave it alone, I guess.

KeithKSR
04-18-2016, 09:39 PM
I reset the check engine light with the app and the bluetooth OBD II scanner I had. We had already taken the gas cap off and put it back on. I figured if the check engine light came back on after that, I'd buy a replacement cap. It hasn't come back on (yet), so I'm going to leave it alone, I guess.

I've had them trigger by not having the cap snug enough.

KeithKSR
04-18-2016, 09:40 PM
It has reset the computer every time I have done that. Many times the light does not come back on for months.

Some of the sensors false fail under extreme weather conditions, especially extreme cold.