PDA

View Full Version : Oh good god, another George Bush getting into politics

ColonelSteve
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Like we need another one to fail

The Associated Press ‏@AP

Ex-Florida Gov. Jeb Bush writes letter saying his son George P. Bush may run for Texas Land Commissioner: http://apne.ws/U0tM5h -RAS

jazyd
11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
got a problem with it? Do you live in Texas? If you don't, then you have no complaints because he wont' affect you at all.

Like we need another one to fail

The Associated Press ‏@AP

Ex-Florida Gov. Jeb Bush writes letter saying his son George P. Bush may run for Texas Land Commissioner: http://apne.ws/U0tM5h -RAS

CitizenBBN
11-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Since Obama blamed Bush for stuff again today, I'd say the White House is happy b/c otherwise they might run out of Bushes to blame for everything.

ShoesSwayedBlue
11-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Republicans had better hope so. The GOP hasn't won a presidential election without a Bush or Nixon on the ballot since 1928. :confused0053:

CattyWampus
11-15-2012, 06:10 AM
got a problem with it? Do you live in Texas? If you don't, then you have no complaints because he wont' affect you at all.

I rarely see a post from ColonelSteve that I can remotely respond to in a positive way, but I can on this one. I don't live in Texas, but I do have concerns with another Bush getting into politics. I really like George W as a person, but I recognize that he had a number of failings as a POTUS. George HW moved us away from Reagan, and George W continued that slide. If Jed were ever able to get power within the GOP, he'll take us even further away from Reagan. I don't have anything against George P, but I think that when it comes to the Bush family, there's always a political agenda that seems to be the purpose of anything they do. George P may be one of the finest men ever, but for me, it seems like a Bush family reboot. Also, considering how Texas politics is run by crony capitalism, this may be the ideal way for George P to amass his own fortune.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the male Bushes have lined up to suck off the government teat except Neil, and he'd probably be in jail or would have served time in jail if his name wasn't Bush. George P seems to be the next teat sucker.

For me, this just seems to be part of a matriarchal power grab to ensure ongoing political prominence for a family that maybe should just sit down and shut up.

jazyd
11-15-2012, 07:21 AM
He is running for Land commission or something like that, this isn't Governor, senator, even state congress, just land commission.

Personally I give him some spunk for putting the Bush name out there after what the media and this idiot of a president we have has done to the family name. I know this, he coulnd't be any worse than another Clinton or Obama.

I rarely see a post from ColonelSteve that I can remotely respond to in a positive way, but I can on this one. I don't live in Texas, but I do have concerns with another Bush getting into politics. I really like George W as a person, but I recognize that he had a number of failings as a POTUS. George HW moved us away from Reagan, and George W continued that slide. If Jed were ever able to get power within the GOP, he'll take us even further away from Reagan. I don't have anything against George P, but I think that when it comes to the Bush family, there's always a political agenda that seems to be the purpose of anything they do. George P may be one of the finest men ever, but for me, it seems like a Bush family reboot. Also, considering how Texas politics is run by crony capitalism, this may be the ideal way for George P to amass his own fortune.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the male Bushes have lined up to suck off the government teat except Neil, and he'd probably be in jail or would have served time in jail if his name wasn't Bush. George P seems to be the next teat sucker.

For me, this just seems to be part of a matriarchal power grab to ensure ongoing political prominence for a family that maybe should just sit down and shut up.

CattyWampus
11-15-2012, 07:47 AM
He is running for Land commission or something like that, this isn't Governor, senator, even state congress, just land commission.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I see this as the camel's nose under the tent. Why is a Floridian running for Land Commissioner in Texas? Could it be because the Bush clan still has big footprints in the Texas political landscape? Maybe my cynicism also leads me to believe that the position of Land Commissioner in Texas lends itself well to building up political chits through cronyism.

Personally I give him some spunk for putting the Bush name out there after what the media and this idiot of a president we have has done to the family name.

Is he "putting the Bush name out there" or is he trading on the Bush name in a state that is still controlled by the Bush family?

I know this, he coulnd't be any worse than another Clinton or Obama.

"I'm not Bush" worked in 2008, and to some degree in 2012 because the media pushed that meme. "I'm not Obama" won't work, partially because the media won't engage. Even a sandwich made with green bologna is better than a crap sandwich, but I still ain't eating eat..

KSRBEvans
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I like Jeb alot. He's much more conservative than either 41 or 43, and he may end up being the best of the bunch. But we've got such a severe case of Bush Fatigue in the country that he may never get a shot on the national stage.

As for George P, I remember hearing him do some interviews at the 2000 and 2004 GOP conventions and thought he was a bright, articulate guy. I'm glad to see he's willing to give it a shot in politics. It's such a bloodbath that I'm sure it turns off a lot of people who would be good candidates.

Why's he running in Texas? Maybe the same reason Bobby Kennedy and Hillary Clinton ran in New York. The voters there decided they wanted them, and Texas voters will get the same chance to decide on George P.

CattyWampus
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I like Jeb alot. He's much more conservative than either 41 or 43, and he may end up being the best of the bunch.

I guess that's why he keeps preaching that the GOP needs to be less conservative.

KSRBEvans
11-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Link? I've never heard him say that. I have heard him say the GOP needs to expand its base. Ronald Reagan said that (http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/govspeech/04011967a.htm), too--the "big tent" theory.

EDIT: Here's Jeb in August (http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/08/jeb-gop-needs-to-change-tone-to-reach-new-demographics-133237.html):

"I'm concerned over the long haul, for sure," Bush said in an interview aired Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press." "Our demographics are changing. And we have to change not necessarily our core beliefs, but the tone of our message and our message and the intensity of it, for sure. ... This is going to be a close election. Long-term, if conservatives principles our going to be successful and implemented, there has to be a concerted effort to reach out to a broader audience than we do today."

Sounds a lot like Reagan in that transcript I linked:

We must keep the door open – offering our party as the only practical answer for those who, overall, are individualists. And because this is the great common denominator – this dedication to the belief in man’s aspirations as an individual – we cannot offer them a narrow sectarian party in which all must swear allegiance to prescribed commandments.

Such a party can be highly disciplined, but it does not win elections. This kind of party soon disappears in a blaze of glorious defeat, and it never puts into practice its basic tenets, no matter how noble they may be.

The Republican Party, both in this state and nationally, is a broad party. There is room in our tent for many views; indeed, the divergence of views is one of our strengths. Let no one, however, interpret this to mean compromise of basic philosophy or that we will be all things to all people for political expediency.

CattyWampus
11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Link? I've never heard him say that. I have heard him say the GOP needs to expand its base. Ronald Reagan said that (http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/govspeech/04011967a.htm), too--the "big tent" theory.

EDIT: Here's Jeb in August (http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/08/jeb-gop-needs-to-change-tone-to-reach-new-demographics-133237.html):

Sounds a lot like Reagan in that transcript I linked:

Perhaps I could have worded my sentence a little better. No, Jeb hasn't come out and said "The GOP needs to be less conservative", but over the years, he has addressed and supported the concept of his brother's compassionate conservatism. That may be a good bumper sticker, but it's hardly conservative. Adding programs that have no business on the federal level and have no ability to fund themselves isn't being conservative. That's being less conservative.

If you look at Jeb's words in the quotations you provided, it seems that he's bought into the "the GOP is not inclusive" meme. Unfortunately, the GOP has allowed the left and the media to frame these issues. He talks about being inclusive but he doesn't seem to be enamoured with being inclusive when it comes to social conservatives. He seems to be too eager to jump on the bandwagon to bash those dastardly "wingnuts". He seems to think that primary voters don't have the right to nominate who they want and at the same time he seems to be comfortable when they become the target of a dishonest media. The media spent 100x more ink and airtime on Mourdock's position on rape/abortion than they did on Benghazi. It didn't help that Dick Lugar worked hard to see Mourdock defeated.

What I'd like to hear from Jeb Bush is which of those principles are important and which are not. How does becoming more like liberals benefit the party or the country?

The failing of the GOP is not it's lack of inclusion, it's the inability to take control of the message. We can reach out to the various ethnic and socio-economic groups, but it doesn't need to be done by pandering. It needs to be done by finding ways to get through the filter of a lying media. The GOP leadership can't even reach out to its own constituents. The GOP leadership is a bunch of political incompetents and they all should be thrown to the curb, and that includes the Bush family and its acolytes.

ColonelSteve
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM

This is him getting his feet wet, in a few years we'll see him run for Congress or Senate in the state or federal level...this is how it all begins

Doc
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Jeb did a fine job as Governor of FL. In fact he did a heck of a lot better handling multiple hurricanes that hit our state than any of the gov's in the northeast did or how they did in NOLA.

GWB made some errors however for well over 7 years he led a prosperous nation. So while Obama rose to become president by blaming all that is wrong with the world on the former president while quickly taking credit for anything that is good, the idea that "the Bush Family" is some type of pox upon the nation is ludicrous.

Doc
11-15-2012, 04:21 PM
This is him getting his feet wet, in a few years we'll see him run for Congress or Senate in the state or federal level...this is how it all begins

And if the people vote him in, more power to him so long as he represents their wishes and values.

CattyWampus
11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
the idea that "the Bush Family" is some type of pox upon the nation is ludicrous.

You're right, "the Bush Family" is not a pox on the nation. It's a pox on the party of Reagan. When Barbara Bush calls Bill Clinton "her son" and Jeb calls Clinton his brother from another mother (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-13/news/32667159_1_barbara-bush-jeb-bush-neil-bush), that's a bridge too far.

ColonelSteve
11-15-2012, 05:07 PM
And if the people vote him in, more power to him so long as he represents their wishes and values.

People in Texas will vote for him the same reason people in Kentucky voted for Richie Farmer...name alone and no actual research into what the candidate is really offering

CitizenBBN
11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I have no major ax to grind against the Bush family, and Jeb was a good governor by most accounts, but no doubt Bush II and the entire GOP spent like drunken sailors in an economy good enough to have afforded a chance to reign in the budget without real pain. The Bush family was never aligned with the Reagan camp in the GOP, going way back to 1980. That seems pretty evident.

I wont' go so far as to call them Rockefeller Republicans, but clearly they aren't Reagan Republicans either.

The difference for me is I want the GOP to shed a lot of their social issue stances, and the Bush family group is less tied to those issues which is a good thing in my view. There are a lot of Libertarians out there, a lot, and we don't really have an ideal home. The GOP is mine b/c I favor economic and foreign policy issues over social issues, but a lot of my friends end up voting Democratic when they feel a lot like me but the balance is slightly the other way when weighed as voting issues.

out of my wallet and out of my bedroom.

CattyWampus
11-16-2012, 06:08 AM
I have no major ax to grind against the Bush family, and Jeb was a good governor by most accounts, but no doubt Bush II and the entire GOP spent like drunken sailors in an economy good enough to have afforded a chance to reign in the budget without real pain. The Bush family was never aligned with the Reagan camp in the GOP, going way back to 1980. That seems pretty evident.

I wont' go so far as to call them Rockefeller Republicans, but clearly they aren't Reagan Republicans either.

The difference for me is I want the GOP to shed a lot of their social issue stances, and the Bush family group is less tied to those issues which is a good thing in my view. There are a lot of Libertarians out there, a lot, and we don't really have an ideal home. The GOP is mine b/c I favor economic and foreign policy issues over social issues, but a lot of my friends end up voting Democratic when they feel a lot like me but the balance is slightly the other way when weighed as voting issues.

out of my wallet and out of my bedroom.

As a pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, anti-amnesty, less-government-is-best-government fiscally conservative Tea Partier, I agree that the GOP must adjust the way it frames social issues. Social issues should be left to the governed. A politician's personal opinion on social issues should not leak into governance, especially federal governance.

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, just responding to CBBN.

ukcatlvr
11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
People in Texas will vote for him the same reason people in Kentucky voted for Richie Farmer...name alone and no actual research into what the candidate is really offering

sounds like our POTUS :evilgrin0007:

Doc
11-16-2012, 08:01 AM

The exact thing could be said about Obama. Just a little research 4 yrs ago told me exactly what type of person and president he was and would be. I'm not shocked that the economy has not recovered because I knew that his policies would slow to stall any recovery. People vote on name recognition more than anything and have little idea of how incumbent vote on certain issue, what they support or oppose, etc