PDA

View Full Version : Gun-store owner prevents possible mass shooting

PedroDaGr8
03-30-2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gun-shop-owner-refuses-to-sell-gun-to-eligible-customer-possibly-prevents-mass-shooting/ar-BBr5KCP

Downs, however, turned him away. "Just the look in his eye... there was something about him. I don't know. You really can't explain it. He was going to do something. He was going to do something,"

The police later found Howard's car with a gun in the back seat at a Walmart; Howard was in the process of purchasing almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition.

dan_bgblue
03-30-2016, 02:58 PM
History of mental illness and he had cleared the back ground checks? Sounds right

Doc
03-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Downs, however, turned him away. "Just the look in his eye... there was something about him. I don't know. You really can't explain it. He was going to do something. He was going to do something,"

Well, I suspect we will hear more about this. Not sure the "look in his eyes" is going to cut the mustard. I'll bet there will be some group that objects to the denying him right to purchase a gun. His eyes look normal to me.

http://www.greenprophet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/young-arab-man.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for not selling a gun to somebody who might be nuts or ready to go all JIHAD on somebody. I'm just saying that I can foresee there being a "civil right violation" claim coming down the pike when somebody elects to deny somebody their second amendment right.

CitizenBBN
03-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Doc, I agree that claim will come, but it will be bogus b/c an individual cannot deny someone a constitutional right.

A person who has a right to possess a gun isn't denied that right by someone else exercising their right to not sell them one, though I agree that will be lost on the complaint and on most people generally.

CitizenBBN
03-30-2016, 06:27 PM
History of mental illness and he had cleared the back ground checks? Sounds right

Yep, I'd like to see what that state does in their reporting. It's been such a fight to get states to do the right thing and simply report even just public records in this area.

suncat05
03-31-2016, 08:47 AM
How many times have we heard that old saying "if that little warning voice in the back of hour head starts talking to you, LISTEN TO IT!"
The gun shop owner listened to that voice, and a lot of people are alive today because of that. Kudos!

The eyes tell you a lot, if you know what you might be seeing. In my job I watch for those visual cues to tell me if something isn't right. Unusual sweating given the current environmental conditions, nervousness, sudden, furtive head movements, glancing around constantly, the "target glance", unnecessary hand movements, general fidgeting...........it all could mean something bad is getting ready to happen..........and then there's that little voice in the back of your head, and in most cases that voice is right.
If you're wise enough to listen.

PedroDaGr8
03-31-2016, 01:12 PM
How many times have we heard that old saying "if that little warning voice in the back of hour head starts talking to you, LISTEN TO IT!"
The gun shop owner listened to that voice, and a lot of people are alive today because of that. Kudos!

The eyes tell you a lot, if you know what you might be seeing. In my job I watch for those visual cues to tell me if something isn't right. Unusual sweating given the current environmental conditions, nervousness, sudden, furtive head movements, glancing around constantly, the "target glance", unnecessary hand movements, general fidgeting...........it all could mean something bad is getting ready to happen..........and then there's that little voice in the back of your head, and in most cases that voice is right.
If you're wise enough to listen.

I guess that is why I have never been able to get out of a traffic ticket. I am always NERVOUS as hell when I have gotten pulled over. Dunno, why. In real life, calm and normal; get pulled over damn nervous.:671:

Doc
03-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Doc, I agree that claim will come, but it will be bogus b/c an individual cannot deny someone a constitutional right.

A person who has a right to possess a gun isn't denied that right by someone else exercising their right to not sell them one, though I agree that will be lost on the complaint and on most people generally.

So a business has a right not to sell or provide a serve to somebody? Tell that to the photographer who recently didn't want to provide service for the gay wedding. This "excuse" was used to deny services to African Americans and it failed during segregation.

My point (which many will miss because they will want to miss) is that the slippery slope has begun. Next time this happens it will be because the guy was Muslim, or something beside "I didn't like the look in his eyes". I have no issue with a business deciding who they want to provide a service to for ANY reason. If they don't want to serve blacks, or gays or jewish people......or people with beady eyes, fine by me. State so at the door so the world knows and I won't do business with them. But that isn't allowed by law. And this guy PASSED the background check. He was legally able to purchase a gun. Perhaps the background check should have a new question inquiring about "the look in your eyes"??? That's a random suggestion
:trink39:

ETA: yes, I know the gay wedding was based on discrimination (as is denying African American, Jewish people, etc....) but if this guy is wearing a taqiyah or keffiyeh, is it suddenly because he is a muslim rather than "something about his eyes"?