PDA

View Full Version : N Carolina to begin ticketing for 1 mph over speed limit

KSRBEvans
03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
http://abc11.com/travel/speeders-beware-law-enforcement-is-cracking-down/1257209/

I say everybody go way, way under the speed limit--you know, just to insure you don't get ticketed due to a calibration error on your speedometer, or the radar, or something.

A little civil disobedience could go a long way.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2016, 12:32 PM
http://abc11.com/travel/speeders-beware-law-enforcement-is-cracking-down/1257209/

I say everybody go way, way under the speed limit--you know, just to insure you don't get ticketed due to a calibration error on your speedometer, or the radar, or something.

A little civil disobedience could go a long way.
Great. They did that on I-459 here in Birmingham one week, and it was a nightmare to travel. They had good reasons, with several fatalities that had occurred and a strong reason to have drivers focus, but it did make travel an issue.

suncat05
03-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Just don't drive through North Carolina.........

Darrell KSR
03-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Doc
03-23-2016, 02:23 PM
I got no issue with that so long as its well know. Never understood calling it the SPEED LIMIT if they allow you go go 10 miles over the speed limit. Isn't it then the "10 miles under the speed limit" that is posted?

Heck, I'd prefer they post the speed limit at 80 and ticket you if you go 81. To me, that makes sense.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2016, 02:33 PM
I got no issue with that so long as its well know. Never understood calling it the SPEED LIMIT if they allow you go go 10 miles over the speed limit. Isn't it then the "10 miles under the speed limit" that is posted?

Heck, I'd prefer they post the speed limit at 80 and ticket you if you go 81. To me, that makes sense.
I'd love that idea. I prefer to get where I am going as soon as safely possible, but without subjecting myself to the long arm of the law. It's always this game - will they allow 75? 77? 79?

I always assume +5 is OK, and think 10% is fine in a 70mph zone (so 77). And my understanding is many/most will give you that single digits variance.

But why do I have to guess at what the real limit is? Just tell me. If you say, well, they need to give some leeway over to take care of differences in car speedometers, or going down a hill, or whatever, aren't you just deflecting responsibility? It's my car. I'm responsible for making sure the vehicle is traveling at the correct speed. If my speedometer is broken, my fault, my responsibility. If I can't keep the car at a certain speed going downhill, again, my fault, my responsibility.

But they'll never do that. So I'll keep guessing.

bigsky
03-23-2016, 02:38 PM
"Reasonable and Prudent"

dan_bgblue
03-23-2016, 03:09 PM
I find the fact that North Carolina is do it to be a bit humorous. This is the state that has signs on every entry highway that say, "burn headlights when using wipers". A fellow I used to work with swears that the first couple of times he visited NC he looked for piles of burnt headlights along the sides of the road.

PedroDaGr8
03-24-2016, 09:41 AM
I'd love that idea. I prefer to get where I am going as soon as safely possible, but without subjecting myself to the long arm of the law. It's always this game - will they allow 75? 77? 79?

I always assume +5 is OK, and think 10% is fine in a 70mph zone (so 77). And my understanding is many/most will give you that single digits variance.

But why do I have to guess at what the real limit is? Just tell me. If you say, well, they need to give some leeway over to take care of differences in car speedometers, or going down a hill, or whatever, aren't you just deflecting responsibility? It's my car. I'm responsible for making sure the vehicle is traveling at the correct speed. If my speedometer is broken, my fault, my responsibility. If I can't keep the car at a certain speed going downhill, again, my fault, my responsibility.

But they'll never do that. So I'll keep guessing.

What about the fact that your speedometer versus your actual speed can be vary by up 3-5mph based on how worn your tires are?

Anyways, they just made a decision easier for me. I was debating when I head home for easter, do I drive down through Greensboro and on over or do I travel through the mountains in VA. The difference in time is about 20 minutes but the Greensboro route is a much easier drive. Not now, I am definitely going through the mountains. I already had one speeding ticket recently. That is enough.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
What about the fact that your speedometer versus your actual speed can be vary by up 3-5mph based on how worn your tires are?

Anyways, they just made a decision easier for me. I was debating when I head home for easter, do I drive down through Greensboro and on over or do I travel through the mountains in VA. The difference in time is about 20 minutes but the Greensboro route is a much easier drive. Not now, I am definitely going through the mountains. I already had one speeding ticket recently. That is enough.
And the size of your tire. All personal responsibility issues, not someone else's, of course.

PedroDaGr8
03-24-2016, 09:47 AM
And the size of your tire. All personal responsibility issues, not someone else's, of course.
That's a different issue, you can get that calibrated out. But the fact that it varies based on tire wear means it is functionally impossible to know your exact speed unless you are going and having your speedo recalibrated every few months to a year. Now you can argue that someone should keep that in mind and drive slower to compensate.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 09:48 AM
That's a different issue, you can get that calibrated out. But the fact that it varies based on tire wear means it is functionally impossible to know your exact speed unless you are going and having your speedo recalibrated every few months to a year.
All are personal to the owner of the car. His/her personal responsibility, nobody else's.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 09:50 AM
By the way, I also disagree that it is impossible to know the speed. I have two different GPS devices, plus my phone, in addition to my speedometer. You can concoct some crazy theory that I don't know how fast I am going based on any number of variables, but I do. Very close. If I choose to drive exactly at the very limit, and there's an issue with my calculation, or my devices, that's on me.

PedroDaGr8
03-24-2016, 10:38 AM
By the way, I also disagree that it is impossible to know the speed. I have two different GPS devices, plus my phone, in addition to my speedometer. You can concoct some crazy theory that I don't know how fast I am going based on any number of variables, but I do. Very close. If I choose to drive exactly at the very limit, and there's an issue with my calculation, or my devices, that's on me.

GPS is a good approximation, it usually is excellent, if not near perfect, on perfectly flat surfaces and can be significantly off on sloped surfaces. Your phone uses a GPS also.

I agree with your premise in the end that it is on you, I think my issue is more with the current surprise implementation without creating the infrastructure to allow people to calibrate their systems properly. Even in the system where there is the appropriate infrastructure it is on the end user to properly calibrate their systems. If the systems were in place to allow one to monitor their speed to within 1mph at all times, then I would actually support this system.

This doesn't get into my hatred of speed limits used as revenue generation and not as safety devices.

KSRBEvans
03-24-2016, 10:57 AM
All are personal to the owner of the car. His/her personal responsibility, nobody else's.

But that's where common sense comes into play (or should). Do we want people constantly having to get their speedometer recalibrated to account for various issues which could cause your speedometer to be off by 1 mph? Better to give a little leeway IMHO.

This decision should be called "The North Carolina Revenue Generation And Mechanics' Full Employment Initiative of 2016."

Doc
03-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Well lets see, it the road markers are every mile and it takes me exactly 1 minute to go from mile marker 100 to mile marker 101, I know I'm driving 60 mph.

or

If I'm at mile marker 100 and 30 minutes later I'm at mile marker 145, I'm pretty sure I'm driving 90 mph. I don't give a rats ass what size tires I have or how worn they are.

Personally I'm waiting for the day when they ticket you at the turnpike toll booth for speeding. They know when you get on the turnpike and they know when you exit the turnpike, hence they can figure out the MINIMUM speed which you drove. If it takes me an hour to go 90 miles, you have to figure I drove at least 90 mph at some point.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 12:24 PM
GPS is a good approximation, it usually is excellent, if not near perfect, on perfectly flat surfaces and can be significantly off on sloped surfaces. Your phone uses a GPS also.

I agree with your premise in the end that it is on you, I think my issue is more with the current surprise implementation without creating the infrastructure to allow people to calibrate their systems properly. Even in the system where there is the appropriate infrastructure it is on the end user to properly calibrate their systems. If the systems were in place to allow one to monitor their speed to within 1mph at all times, then I would actually support this system.

This doesn't get into my hatred of speed limits used as revenue generation and not as safety devices.
Agree completely.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 12:48 PM
And it begins.

Doc
03-24-2016, 12:53 PM

The infrastructure is there. Road mile markers mark every mile of interstate highways. Of course it requires drivers to be able to do simple math and there is the question of is the typical driver capable of doing simple math.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm not buying any excuse that relates to someone not knowing how fast they are going. It's your obligation to know.

The thing in North Carolina is a crock, but that's another argument.

Doc
03-24-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm not buying any excuse that relates to someone not knowing how fast they are going. It's your obligation to know.

The thing in North Carolina is a crock, but that's another argument.

I agree. When I'm speeding I know it. Usually its because I'm passing all the other cars. That's usually the first hint. The second is the guys who are flipping me off when I pass them. The third is when the car is shaking. The fourth is when I see a cop up ahead, I slam on my brakes and my anal sphincter tightens up.

bigsky
03-24-2016, 01:53 PM
I know I'm going too fast when the MHP pulls me over and gives me the $20 ticket. Used to be five bucks, for " waste of a resource" darn that inflation

Doc
03-24-2016, 02:00 PM
That's a different issue, you can get that calibrated out. But the fact that it varies based on tire wear means it is functionally impossible to know your exact speed unless you are going and having your speedo recalibrated every few months to a year. Now you can argue that someone should keep that in mind and drive slower to compensate.

Except as your tires wear they get smaller and your speed would DECREASE. Thus band new tires are going to go the fastest. Your speedometer should be calibrated to new tires, hence the largest diameter, the fastest speed. As they wear, you go slower than your speedometer would read.

KSRBEvans
03-24-2016, 02:16 PM
And it begins.

:lmao:

Notice the "Heavy Traffic Jam" icon in the midst of all those PoPo icons.

CitizenBBN
03-26-2016, 01:30 PM
And it begins.

Thank goodness. I'm sure NC has eliminated actual crime and risk to public safety so now all those officers have something to do with their time.

If I'm a robber I'm happy as a clam. Look where all the cops are today, let's go hit some houses with recent obituaries, the coast should be clear.

badrose
03-27-2016, 09:16 AM
I agree. When I'm speeding I know it. Usually its because I'm passing all the other cars. That's usually the first hint. The second is the guys who are flipping me off when I pass them. The third is when the car is shaking. The fourth is when I see a cop up ahead, I slam on my brakes and my anal sphincter tightens up.

Is there another kind?

badrose
03-27-2016, 09:22 AM
BTW the enforcement of this only goes through April 3rd. Here in the Pinehurst area the senior citizens help prevent speeding but gives me some hellacious road rage. 25 MPH my ass!

Doc
03-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Is there another kind?

Actually there are. Several in fact but its a pretty boring discussion.