PDA

View Full Version : Last 3 shows you've watched on Netflix/Amazon Prime

KSRBEvans
03-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Trying to get some ideas of new things to watch (now that UK lost :( ), so thought we could share what we've watched recently. For me:

1. The Roosevelts, An Intimate History--a documentary by Ken Burns;

2. Chef, a comedy with Jon Favreau, Dustin Hoffman, Scarlett Johannson and John Leguizamo;

3. The Layover--a travel show with Anthony Bourdain.

PedroDaGr8
03-22-2016, 12:55 PM
1. Archer - damn funny adult cartoon. I can't stress this enough that it is an ADULT cartoon. Think an alcoholic James Bond, without a filter. To give you an idea of the craziness of the shoe, the office HR head is an overweight sex-starved woman that gets addicted to cocaine and does fight club on the weekends.
2. BoJack Horseman - a strange cartoon that is very Gen X oriented, basically it picks up with a washed-out star from the 90s that is a horse, trying to pick together his life in a non-Gen X era. It was much better than I expected. Decent character development and what not.
3. House of Cards - Still trying to catch up on this.

KentuckyWildcat
03-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Do I lose my man card if I say Fuller House (wife) and LeapFrog - Alphabet Amusement Park (daughter)????

Doc
03-22-2016, 03:31 PM
House of Cards (new season is OK)
Parenthood (the TV series, not the movie)
Californication

Currently I'm rewatching LOST

TRUCKERCATFAN
03-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Recently finished off the last season of Justified. Been watching Deadwood and like it a lot so far since it has a lot of the same actors from SOA and Justified.

Another show I finished a few weeks back was The Man In The High Castle. I recommend it highly.

All of these shows were on Prime.

KentuckyWildcat if you lost your man card, then I lose mine since I binge watched Fuller House and it WASNT my wife's idea.

KentuckyWildcat
03-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Trucker, I may still lose mine, but at least you will go before me LOL

catmanjack
03-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Californication
Better call Saul season 1
Breaking bad.

Seen a new series I might check out called the ranch I believe.

catmanjack
03-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Trucker is deadwood on Netflix?

catmanjack
03-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Just seen you said it was on prime.

badrose
03-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Bosch (AP)

House of Cards (N)

Mad Dogs (AP)

Daredevil (N)

badrose
03-27-2016, 11:04 AM
I read recently that HBO is going to do a short Season 4 of Deadwood since it ended somewhat abruptly. Hope so..I loved that show.

KSRBEvans
04-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Californication
Better call Saul season 1
Breaking bad.

Seen a new series I might check out called the ranch I believe.

Mrs. BEvans and I watched that over the weekend. It's not great, but good. It's a traditional multi-cam sitcom filmed before a studio audience. Anything with Sam Elliott and Debra Winger in it is worth a watch IMHO.

badrose
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I watched that over the weekend. It's not great, but good. It's a traditional multi-cam sitcom filmed before a studio audience. Anything with Sam Elliott and Debra Winger in it is worth a watch IMHO.

Loved it!

KSRBEvans
07-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Some Prime shows I've enjoyed recently:

--Poldark: a PBS Masterpiece series that's set in late 18th century Britain and based on the "Poldark" novel series;

--Catastrophe: a Prime original series about an American businessman who meets an English woman on vacation in London, she gets pregnant, they marry and comedy ensues;

--The World At War: the epic 20-some episode documentary series on WWII, with Laurence Olivier narrating. Probably the definitive video work on WWII--I remember watching it when it first came out in the 70s, but it still holds up.

Now I'm ready to watch All Or Nothing, a multi-episode Prime documentary on the Arizona Cardinals' 2015 season. Just came out on the 1st.

bigsky
07-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Person of Interest? It's the "machine is watching you" show.

PedroDaGr8
07-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Next season of BoJack Horseman released today. I have really grown to enjoy that show, I like that the main character is tragically flawed, struggling with trying to be good but failing. I like that they avoid a lot of the typical tropes in TV shows and has interesting character development. Plus it is just a good amount of strange.

Doc
07-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Watching Wentworth now. Is an Aussie version of.Orange is the new Black without the nudity

CitizenBBN
07-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Watching Wentworth now. Is an Aussie version of.Orange is the new Black without the nudity

You picked the show with less nudity? Now that doesn't sound like you at all. :)

KSRBEvans
07-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Just finished "All or Nothing" and I highly recommend it. For those who like "Hard Knocks," it's like that but for the whole season. Every NFL fan will love this.

Now watching Ken Burns' National Parks documentary series. I have to say I've visited very few national parks, but this (and photos from a friend's road trip out west) really has me wanting to get on the road and visit.

kingcat
07-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Psych (N) Can't believe I had never watched it before. Funny show.

Houdini and Doyle (Hulu)
I really enjoy multi-plot shows like this. It is an ongoing series but I like to watch two or three episodes in succession.

And like John, I just finished off S:2 Daredevil (N) a couple of weeks ago.

PedroDaGr8
07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Finished watching the new season of BoJack Horseman, I REALLY enjoyed that season. He continues on down his path of self-destruction, as they keep his character evolving. If you came of age in the 90s then it really resonates with you, it has that 90s GenX nihilism. You can tell the writers lived in the 90s. For example, they call one of the characters an Asian Daria. A character from a cartoon in the 90s.

Just started watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix, only in episode 2 of 8, but holy crap has it started REALLY damn well. Good acting, good period appropriate music, good writing. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it has a bit of an X-Files meets Stephen King meets an early Stephen Spielberg meets the Goonies kinda feel. They are themed in the early 80s and it really works well for this show. Not sure how else to describe it, without giving away some of the plot. If you enjoy sci-fi thrillers I REALLY HEAVILY encourage you to check it out. It is the kinda show best watched at night in the dark. It has an astounding 9.2 out of 10 rating on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/?ref_=nv_sr_1) and a crazy 93%Critic/97% Audience score on RottenTomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/stranger_things/).

I have to say, Netflix is absolutely KILLING it with their original programming. "Stranger Things" is the type of show that would get lost on broadcast television. The commercials would break the necessary suspense, plus each episode is 50+ min long (not enough time for commercials). It is dark, kinda brooding and very story focused. It would work on HBO but certainly not one of the big three. Whomever is at Netflix picking the programs they greenlight, they are exceptional and worth their weight in gold. From House of Cards, OitNB, Stranger Things, BoJack Horseman, etc. etc. etc. they are just killing it with quality left and right.

EDIT: Here is the IMDB Synopsis of "Stranger Things", they did a MUCH better job at describing the show than me:

In a small town where everyone knows everyone, a peculiar incident starts a chain of events that leads to the disappearance of a child - which begins to tear at the fabric of an otherwise peaceful community. Dark government agencies and seemingly malevolent supernatural forces converge on the town, while a few locals begin to understand that there's more going on than meets the eye.

Here is the rotten tomatoes synopsis as well:

A love letter to the '80s classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

badrose
07-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Longmire is sort of a modern day western set near a reservation. Start watching it now and a new season will there about the time you're done. Four seasons currently running (IIRC). I've enjoyed it.

dethbylt
07-24-2016, 10:14 PM
1. Orange is the New Black

2. Metallica's Through the Never - a half concert/half drug fueled trip by a roadie meeting the band's request. SQUEEEEE!

3. Rewatch of Justified. Raylan is da man.

ukblue
07-26-2016, 12:33 AM
I really loved the series about the travels and life of Marco Polo.

badrose
07-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks to PedroDaGr8 for the tip on Stranger Things. Just finished it and it was top notch fun. I went to IMDb and gave it a 10. If you're 40-60 it'll bring back memories.

KSRBEvans
08-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Currently watching "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" on Netflix. I'm not usually into musical shows, but it feels a lot like "Scrubs," which had comedy mixed with musical numbers from time to time. Very funny.

Also, "5 Roger Ebert-Approved Movies Coming To Netflix This Month":

http://mentalfloss.com/article/83873/5-roger-ebert-approved-movies-hitting-netflix-month

Doc
08-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Well, just "binge watched" Stranger Things. Sort of if Poltergist and Alien had a baby and it was adopted by Goonies and raised by the Cohen Brothers.

bigsky
08-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Well, just "binge watched" Stranger Things. Sort of if Poltergist and Alien had a baby and it was adopted by Goonies and raised by the Cohen Brothers. I liked it

Doc
08-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Psych (N) Can't believe I had never watched it before. Funny show.

Got to agree. Just watched the Pilot. Looks like 8 seasons worth of something good to watch.

kingcat
08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Well, just "binge watched" Stranger Things. Sort of if Poltergist and Alien had a baby and it was adopted by Goonies and raised by the Cohen Brothers.

I finished it last week, and really liked it.

Currently we have started watching "Chuck" which is sort of similar to Psyche. Won a couple of Emmy's I hear.

I'm a like'n it so far

Digging on some Marco Polo too in my spare viewing time.

uklandrn
08-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Are you watching Justified on Netflix? I can't get it.

KSRBEvans
08-22-2016, 12:52 PM
^I don't know about Netflix, but Justified's available on Amazon Prime:

https://smile.amazon.com/Fixer/dp/B003AZCYCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1471888352&sr=1-1&keywords=justified

badrose
08-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Not exactly related but, I loved Band of Brothers and was wondering if The Pacific was as good. Anyone?

KSRBEvans
08-22-2016, 09:44 PM
I really liked it but it was different from Band of Brothers.

bigsky
08-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Not exactly related but, I loved Band of Brothers and was wondering if The Pacific was as good. Anyone? Not AS good, but good. Robert Leckie wrote the Win Hadley" series of sports books for (I read them in elementary school, but then I read the entire school library in the 2nd grade) pre-teens.

He wrote several war books and one based on his time with The Marines in the Pacific. Robert Leckie is in the series.

Darrell KSR
08-23-2016, 08:40 PM
I had Band of Brothers on my DroidTV app, and then HBO made them cut ties.

Does Amazon Prime have it?

uklandrn
08-23-2016, 08:51 PM
I loved The Pacific. My grandfather fought in the Pacific theater and the show really brought home how horrific it was. I read "With the Old Breed" which was written by E.B. Sledge - who is one of the people shown in the series. I recommend the book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Pacific theater. War is hell.

KSRBEvans
08-23-2016, 10:09 PM

Yep.

Darrell KSR
08-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Fantastic. You made my day (night?)
Yep.

badrose
08-26-2016, 09:04 PM
A bit off topic but I got a little nostalgic and watched some light-hearted comedies from the 70's and 80's, a binge of sorts.

The Burbs

The Dream Team

Silver Streak

Stir Crazy

See No Evil, Hear No Evil and

Midnight Run

Nothing Oscar worthy, just some good chuckles and a remembrance of simpler times.

badrose
08-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Just saw Gene Wilder died today. Weird, having just watched 3 of his movies. RIP

CitizenBBN
08-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Just saw Gene Wilder died today. Weird, having just watched 3 of his movies. RIP

If you follow my auctions please turn the audio off. :)

KSRBEvans
08-29-2016, 10:22 PM
I love Midnight Run. Great writing & chemistry between DeNiro & Charles Grodin. Very underrated movie IMHO.

badrose
08-29-2016, 10:37 PM
I love Midnight Run. Great writing & chemistry between DeNiro & Charles Grodin. Very underrated movie IMHO.

The Litmus Configuration :671:

badrose
09-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Watching The Pacific now. Can't believe I put it off this long. Very well done.

ETWNAPPEL
09-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Loved "Stranger things"

Now watching "Narcos" and its mind blowing.

PedroDaGr8
09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Loved "Stranger things"

Now watching "Narcos" and its mind blowing.

OK, I have to watch Narcos now. I keep forgetting about this show. On my list it goes. I can use it as background while I study Project Management.

PedroDaGr8
10-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Just watched the first episode of Westworld on HBOGo, it was a really excellent first episode. Very high energy, very violent, NOT for kids (blood, full nudity, excessive violence, etc.). The story is an interesting blend of a Western, Jurassic Park and a Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Very strange but interesting combination.

Doc
10-07-2016, 07:26 PM
I just started GOTHAM. Looks good enough. I started Quantico but it was too boring and so far fetched I had to nix it

CitizenBBN
10-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Watching Firefly again. Best show ever.

What does that make us?
Big Damn heroes sir.
Ain't we just?

PedroDaGr8
10-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Just finished the second episode (that is all that is published so far) and it was just as good, if not better, than the first. Really intense, graphic, violent, well written, intriguing. Very strong mystery in the story, several ongoing story lines, that are very intriguing. The characters are fleshing out very well, there is a lot going on and you are left wondering how will things connect next.

Watching Firefly again. Best show ever.

What does that make us?
Big Damn heroes sir.
Ain't we just?
I am watching the first episode of Firefly now. It is one of those shows that were always on the back burner. Time to check it off the list.

I can say, based on the first episode of Firefly, it clearly influenced Westworld, both share the Wild West/Sci-Fi blend. Though one could argue that shades of the idea extend back to The Dark Tower Series from King, Dune from Herbert and the Hyperion Cantos from Simmons. I think you might enjoy WestWorld more than you realize. Keep in mind, this is based on the first episode of Firefly, but from what I have seen so far there is a lot you would like. It is not a palace drama based series (which you said you hate).

I have to say, we really are in the golden era of TV now. Intricate stories, creativity galore, everything that was lacking in regular Television.

CitizenBBN
10-07-2016, 10:28 PM
By the first episode I assume you mean in the proper order, not the way Fox did them. Episode 1 is Serenity, then Train Job which was shown first (the pilot was never aired) is episode #2. Im sure you are, but thought I'd mention it for others.

I don't really "hate" palace based stuff, I'm just not as into the kinds of dynamics that are typically in such shows. I like good characterization, but more as depth to the person a la Star Trek versus the complex interpersonal dynamic stuff that is in most of the most popular TV today. In everything from game of Thrones to Walking Dead, so much of the show is about those dynamics, and some of that I find interesting but most of it I don't.

All that complex intrigue stuff just feels tedious to me, I keep wanting to fast forward to the end to see how it turns out so I can move on. I've always found a lot of the most popular TV to not really suit me. SciFi is mostly what I like, I think b/c a lot of the focus is on socio-political issues and such versus intricate sub-plots and such.

It's like Walking Dead. I really want to like that show, and I appreciate how well its done, but I just can't sit through it very easily. It's outstandingly well done, no doubt.

KSRBEvans
10-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Starting the Sopranos again. Haven't watched it since the finale. (I liked the finale, just never felt like going back & starting it over.) Man, that 1st season is awesome.

Just binged Last Man On Earth on Hulu. So funny-can't believe I missed it for so long.

CitizenBBN
10-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Oh, and death to Fox network and all those who cancelled Firefly.

TRUCKERCATFAN
10-17-2016, 01:44 AM
I just started GOTHAM. Looks good enough. I started Quantico but it was too boring and so far fetched I had to nix it

I really liked Gotham after I watched the first season on Netflix. So much so that I preordered the entire 2nd season before it even started just so I could watch it on the road and not have to wait until I'm home on the weekend. Luckily for season 3 which just started a month ago, I've got the Fox app on my phone and can watch the day after it airs. Donal Logue is a very good actor and is really good on this show.

TRUCKERCATFAN
10-17-2016, 01:47 AM
Are you watching Justified on Netflix? I can't get it.

Only available streaming on Prime.

bigsky
10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
The entire series of Justified is 35 bucks on dvd on amazon, but 35 bucks a season to stream. I'm waiting for that to even out.

I liked "The Last Kingdom" about England and based on a series of books by Bernard Cornwell, whose books I like pretty well. They should be cheaper.

Blacklist and Persons of Interest have retained my interest.

Supergirl is superhot but the series is superbad.

"I gotta clean the second story gutters" is a very scary show I have a part in today

PedroDaGr8
10-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Just finished the second episode (that is all that is published so far) and it was just as good, if not better, than the first. Really intense, graphic, violent, well written, intriguing. Very strong mystery in the story, several ongoing story lines, that are very intriguing. The characters are fleshing out very well, there is a lot going on and you are left wondering how will things connect next.

I am watching the first episode of Firefly now. It is one of those shows that were always on the back burner. Time to check it off the list.

I can say, based on the first episode of Firefly, it clearly influenced Westworld, both share the Wild West/Sci-Fi blend. Though one could argue that shades of the idea extend back to The Dark Tower Series from King, Dune from Herbert and the Hyperion Cantos from Simmons. I think you might enjoy WestWorld more than you realize. Keep in mind, this is based on the first episode of Firefly, but from what I have seen so far there is a lot you would like. It is not a palace drama based series (which you said you hate).

I have to say, we really are in the golden era of TV now. Intricate stories, creativity galore, everything that was lacking in regular Television.

Finished watching Firefly, certainly an enjoyable show. Would have been interesting to see where they would have taken it if they had a few more seasons. Many of the characters were just hitting their stride at that time. Almost didn't recognize the Inara (sp?) as the same actress that played the love interest in Deadpool.

Westworld Ep. III came out last night, starting to see more "cracks in the armor" if you will. Much like Jurassic Park, which isn't surprising since Michael Crichton is listed as a writer, "nature finds a way". Really really well written, Anthony Hopkins character is really starting to gather some depth and we see a bit more of the "real world" in this episode. Still violent as all get out, but we are starting to see fragments of what might be going on.

Doc
10-24-2016, 09:19 PM
So I finished season 1 of Gotham. How did nobody recommend this? I love this show. I'm not a comic book person but this show is fantastic. So.many subplots and background into the characters. You see the development of Commissionerror Gordon, the Penguin, Bruce Wayne plus trying to figure out who becomes who (which character will be the Joker, the Riddles although that one is obvious, catwoman, etc). It's a dynamite show even for non comic book/super hero geeks

suncat05
10-25-2016, 08:37 AM

Yes

suncat05
10-25-2016, 08:41 AM
1)Bosch
2)The Americans
3)Vikings

badrose
11-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Goliath, on Amazon Prime. Great series/8 episodes. Might be Billy Bob Thornton's best work.

KSRBEvans
11-02-2016, 01:07 PM
^Thanks for the recommendation, badrose. It looked interesting but hadn't started it yet.

KSRBEvans
11-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I just started "The Crown," a Netflix original mini-series on Queen Elizabeth. It starts in 1947 and so far (episode 3) has up to the mid 50s. It also has a great deal of Churchill in it, which I find very interesting. John Lithgow does a great Churchill. Well worth the look.

PedroDaGr8
11-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Still watching Westworld, it is getting better and better each episode. Really intriguing how they are developing the characters. Thandie Newton is like the british Halle Berry. Though Thandie is proving to be an exceptionally good and deep actress as well as being VERY easy on the eyes.

catmanjack
11-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Pedro where are you watching west world?

PedroDaGr8
11-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Pedro where are you watching west world?

Oddly enough, Comcast included HBOGo with my internet package. So I watch it on HBO's streaming site. Really really worth it if you can find the show.

catmanjack
11-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Thanks!

Doc
11-28-2016, 11:34 AM
right now I'm watching "THE RANCH". Is one of those sort of funny sitcoms. Its OK but not great. Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson (from That 70's Show) along with Sam Elliot and Debra Winger star in it so it has talent but its mostly stupid one liners.

KSRBEvans
11-28-2016, 11:51 AM
^That was my opinion, too. With talent like Sam Elliott and Debra Winger, I was hoping they could do more with it.

Doc
11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Mostly its raunchy sex jokes and lots of F-bombs. And Kutscher's character is the same "pretty boy, sexaholic" that he was in pretty much every show. He has the acting range of Jim Carey.

catmanjack
11-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Currently watching shameless and wow is that group ever!

badrose
11-30-2016, 01:41 PM

Yeah, dysfunctional doesn't begin to cover it.

catmanjack
11-30-2016, 11:20 PM
That show is a mess but interesting

PedroDaGr8
12-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Still watching Westworld, it is getting better and better each episode. Really intriguing how they are developing the characters. Thandie Newton is like the british Halle Berry. Though Thandie is proving to be an exceptionally good and deep actress as well as being VERY easy on the eyes.

Well, season finale was last night. It did NOT disappoint at all. Anthony Hopkins delivers an exception performance. Meanwhile, the writing was nothing short of incredible. The way the story plays out, the hidden themes in the story, the big reveals, etc. Between WestWorld, Stranger Things, Black Mirror, etc. soome of the best story telling in my life PERIOD!

Doc
12-06-2016, 07:06 AM

Just finished watching the pilot. Looks interesting enough that I'll hang with it. I'm a big William Macy fan so it has that going for it

KSRBEvans
12-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Goliath, on Amazon Prime. Great series/8 episodes. Might be Billy Bob Thornton's best work.

Well, I'm into Episode 3 and already sad it's only 8 episodes. It almost feels like a Grisham book adapted for the screen. The characters are interesting and the legal stuff is almost secondary to the story, which I like because I hate when they get the legal stuff wrong and/or wrap a case up nice & tidy in an hour.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Ooh, I love Billy Bob Thornton; I love Grisham books. That sounds like something I would enjoy.

badrose
12-06-2016, 01:05 PM
IMdB has this at the top of the Goliath page: TV Series (2016– ) Hopefully there will be more.

Doc
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM

I'm officially HOOKED on this one. I'm half way thru season 2. One of the best shows out there.

PedroDaGr8
12-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Watching The White Rabbit Project on Netflix. This is the new show by the build team of MythBusters (Grant, Tory and Kerri). A good start, very reminiscent of the old show. Kinda like MythBusters meets a tradition science program.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

bigsky
12-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Blacklist

badrose
12-19-2016, 11:14 PM
The Man In High Castle is pretty good. Season 2 just came out. It's predicated on what it might be like in our country if the Axis powers had won. Amazon.

KSRBEvans
12-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Tried to watch Fleabag on Amazon Prime, Love on Netflix and You're The Worst on Hulu and couldn't make it through the 1st episode for any of them. The characters are all so self-involved and unlikeable that I just couldn't get into them.

Doc
12-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Finished season 6 of Shameless which is all that is currently available on Netflix. Season 6 "jumped the Shark" IMO.

I'm onto a new one that was just released 3days ago, Travelers. Started the pilot today and its quite interesting thus far. Four people die but they don't die, rather their bodies are taken over by people from the future, or that's my assumption at this point.

badrose
12-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Sneaky Pete, the full season is coming up in a couple of weeks. The pilot was very promising and Giovanni Ribisi plays the lead role.

catmanjack
12-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Just finished the Ranch, was good but not great.
Waiting for the following to start back up.
Better call Saul
The walking dead
Feed the beast
All on AMC

Very excited for season 7 of shameless.
Keep posting some of your favorites.

catmanjack
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Would like to go back and watch sapranos, weeds, dexter and entourage at some point.

catmanjack
12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Started sons of anarchy, really liking the show so far.

KSRBEvans
01-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Here's a map of the most popular Netflix show in each state:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1a_FAgUUAAaX1Q.jpg:large

http://mentalfloss.com/article/90538/most-popular-netflix-show-each-state

Doc
01-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Watching The White Rabbit Project on Netflix. This is the new show by the build team of MythBusters (Grant, Tory and Kerri). A good start, very reminiscent of the old show. Kinda like MythBusters meets a tradition science program.

On episode 8 or there about. Just finished tech we love to hate. Is quite good. Different from Mythbusters but similar. I like the formate but it took some time to get used to it.

CitizenBBN
01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
I didn't even know about that show. I am so all over that. I'd heard through the con vine that they were doing a show, didn't know when or what.

badrose
01-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Billy Bob won a Golden Globe for Goliath.

Doc
01-09-2017, 09:51 PM
started Sense8 which I'm watching on streaming. Its a weird one. On the pilot now and trying to determine if I'll like it.

Watching Death in Paradise on disc. Its a good one! Its a British show. Recommend it.

KSRBEvans
01-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Billy Bob won a Golden Globe for Goliath.

Glad to see that. I thought he did a really good job--pretty nuanced. Not just the usual "renegade lawyer" type they throw in those types of legal dramas.

Also saw that Claire Foy won for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth in Netflix's "The Crown."

Doc
01-31-2017, 09:26 AM
Trailer Park Boys...wow, this is yet another messed up show. Started watching on Sunday morning. I'm now halfway thru season 4. Its sort of a low brow Its always Sunny in Philadelphia kind of show. Funny as crap if you have a warpped sense of humor.

suncat05
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Speaking of British shows, I am currently into Season Two of a CineMax series named "Strike Back". The story line is about a disgraced former Delta Force operator that gets involved with British secret anti-terrorism task force that goes around the globe attempting to save the world from the bad guys. It's pretty good. Not great, but better than some stuff along the same vein. And many of the characters are some of the actors from "Game of Thrones".

catmanjack
02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Just finished sons of anarchy! Strongly recommend!

PedroDaGr8
02-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Watched Luke Cage recently, really enjoyed it.

catmanjack
02-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Thought about Luke cage, need to find something decent.

PedroDaGr8
02-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Thought about Luke cage, need to find something decent.
It's really really well done, it had a few cheesy parts but for the most part was damn good.

catmanjack
02-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Thanks will check it out.

ukblue
02-27-2017, 11:33 PM
256 days to new Strange Things episodes start

Doc
03-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Started that today. On episode 2. Actually a really good show. I'm a fan of Mahersala Ali. He plays Remy Danton on House of Cards. Nice to see him play the "bad guy", or I guess a "badder guy".

KentuckyWildcat
03-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Is it slow? I'm okay with slow, but now a days, I don't get to watch shows until later in the night and slow and late night do not mix for me.

PedroDaGr8
03-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Is it slow? I'm okay with slow, but now a days, I don't get to watch shows until later in the night and slow and late night do not mix for me.
It has parts with story line and parts with action. I definitely would not call it slow. I just started watching Daredevil, 8 it is interesting to see the shared characters between the two series (they supposedly occur in the same universe and I believe the same time frame).

KentuckyWildcat
03-02-2017, 07:08 AM
It has parts with story line and parts with action. I definitely would not call it slow. I just started watching Daredevil, 8 it is interesting to see the shared characters between the two series (they supposedly occur in the same universe and I believe the same time frame).

I enjoyed Daredevil. But did struggle thru a few episodes. I may give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KSRBEvans
03-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Noticed on Instantwatcher that This Is Spinal Tap (http://instantwatcher.com/) is now available on Netflix. Enjoy.

Doc
03-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Finished Luke Cage. Good show. Strongly recommend

No watching Hell on Wheels. Another good one. Should take a while to get thru

catmanjack
04-01-2017, 11:39 PM
Hell on wheels was a major favorite!
Just started into the badlands, really liking so far!

KSRBEvans
04-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I are binge-watching Parenthood, a show that apparently ended 2 seasons ago but we didn't start watching it on Netflix until a couple of weeks ago.

badrose
04-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Jessica Jones isn't bad either.

KSRBEvans
04-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Just finished Parenthood and it was very good. Done by the same guy (Jason Katims) who was also the showrunner for Friday Night Lights, one of my all-time favorite shows, so I'm not surprised I enjoyed it. Great finale, too. Actually they had a season 5 finale that felt like a series finale (probably because they weren't sure it would return for a 6th season), but then had a series finale at the end of season 6, so it was like 2 series finales. Highly recommend it, especially if you like family dramas (a dying genre) or were a FNL fan.

Doc
04-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Mrs. BEvans and I are binge-watching Parenthood, a show that apparently ended 2 seasons ago but we didn't start watching it on Netflix until a couple of weeks ago.

Double thumbs up on that show.

Doc
04-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Just released the next season of "Death in Paradise" I like the show as a light watcher

Doc
04-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Just finished season 1 and 2 of Better Call Saul as a refresher for the season 3 premiere which is Monday. One of my favorite TV shows

badrose
04-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Just finished season 1 and 2 of Better Call Saul as a refresher for the season 3 premiere which is Monday. One of my favorite TV shows

The guy is resourceful isn't he?

KSRBEvans
04-09-2017, 08:30 AM

Love that show, especially what they're doing to flesh out Mike Ehrmentraut's backstory. Excited for season 3.

CitizenBBN
04-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I"m going to get on Netflix in order to watch the Mythbusters Build team's new show. It's called the "White Rabbit Project". They have 12 episodes up from December.

I don't know why but it still bothers me that show ended. Maybe this will help. Sounds like it's a good shot they'll keep it a while, the cost is lower than their other original works and it should draw enough. I sure hope so. I'll miss Jamie and Adam, esp. Adam, but I like them all, so I'll be good with the Build team.

badrose
04-10-2017, 07:13 AM
I'm currently re-watching Justified in a binge sort of way. Great story-telling and acting and better flow not having to wait so long between seasons.

PedroDaGr8
04-10-2017, 10:35 AM
I"m going to get on Netflix in order to watch the Mythbusters Build team's new show. It's called the "White Rabbit Project". They have 12 episodes up from December.

I don't know why but it still bothers me that show ended. Maybe this will help. Sounds like it's a good shot they'll keep it a while, the cost is lower than their other original works and it should draw enough. I sure hope so. I'll miss Jamie and Adam, esp. Adam, but I like them all, so I'll be good with the Build team.

I think it is HOW it ended rather than that fact that it ended. The White Rabbit Project is good, it is different, so don't expect straight MythBusters but they are clearly trying to define their own niche (in the MythBusters realm but in its own style).

badrose
04-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Just watched the first episode of Marvel's Iron Fist. So far so good. Different and better than I thought it would be.

CitizenBBN
04-14-2017, 11:35 PM
I think it is HOW it ended rather than that fact that it ended. The White Rabbit Project is good, it is different, so don't expect straight MythBusters but they are clearly trying to define their own niche (in the MythBusters realm but in its own style).

It's both for me.

I don't know why, but apparently unknown to me consciously I found the existence of that show reassuring in some way.

First I really liked it and looked forward to it. I have a hard time turning my brain "off" from my work and responsibilities, and I've realized that when I watched Mythbusters I was totally engrossed, more than most anything else I watch. It was just that interesting and appealing to me b/c I like the science of it but I also love tinkering and engineering and the whole idea of just going out in the shop and building something as an average Joe.

Second, I think the show did in fact encourage people to look at science and engineering and made those things just a bit more cool, and that's good for all of us. My niece really likes the show, she's 13 now, and went to Adam and Jamie's traveling road show and really enjoyed it. I just find it cool that kids like her also found the show interesting and that it connected with some of them.

I wasn't as much into the big explosions and such, though they're cool, I just liked how they'd say "we need a rig to do X" and they'd go weld something up and see what happened. I grew up on a farm where that's what we'd do too, just a little skill, sweat and ingenuity, and not running to someone and paying them but just doing it yourself and figuring it out as you went, and I guess I miss that. I don't have time to do that stuff now, but at least I could watch them do it.

catmanjack
04-16-2017, 01:10 AM
Watching into the badlands not bad.

catmanjack
04-16-2017, 01:10 AM
Of course Better call Saul is back on.

Doc
04-26-2017, 07:24 AM
I'm going to add "The OA". Have to finish episode 2 before you decide to bail on this one (you won't because that's when it gets interesting). If you like Stranger Things, you will like this one.

KSRBEvans
04-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Some Prime shows I've enjoyed recently:

--Poldark: a PBS Masterpiece series that's set in late 18th century Britain and based on the "Poldark" novel series;

--Catastrophe: a Prime original series about an American businessman who meets an English woman on vacation in London, she gets pregnant, they marry and comedy ensues;

--The World At War: the epic 20-some episode documentary series on WWII, with Laurence Olivier narrating. Probably the definitive video work on WWII--I remember watching it when it first came out in the 70s, but it still holds up.

Now I'm ready to watch All Or Nothing, a multi-episode Prime documentary on the Arizona Cardinals' 2015 season. Just came out on the 1st.

The new season of Catastrophe is now available on Amazon. 1st 2 seasons were funny.

badrose
04-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Binge-watched Bosch yesterday.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2017, 09:51 PM
I have still never watched anything on Amazon Prime. Have had it for years. Having DroidTV has spoiled me; I always have had plenty to watch.

I do want to watch Band of Brothers, which I think somebody said was on Amazon Prime, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

catmanjack
04-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Currently watching weeds! Pretty good.

Doc
04-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Currently watching weeds! Pretty good.

Good show. I enjoyed it.

Doc
04-27-2017, 12:11 PM
I'm going to add "The OA". Have to finish episode 2 before you decide to bail on this one (you won't because that's when it gets interesting). If you like Stranger Things, you will like this one.

Just finished episode 5. NOW you figure out what the hell is going on. No spoiler here, but a recommendation for sure.

KSRBEvans
04-27-2017, 12:40 PM
I have still never watched anything on Amazon Prime. Have had it for years. Having DroidTV has spoiled me; I always have had plenty to watch.

I do want to watch Band of Brothers, which I think somebody said was on Amazon Prime, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Now's a great time to jump into Band of Brothers, coming up on several relevant dates (VE Day 5/8, Memorial Day and D Day 6/6). I guarantee you're going to love it, but be prepared to devote some time to it because it has a high bingeability quotient. :D

Another good war miniseries by HBO you can catch on Prime is The Pacific, which was kind of like the Pacific War counterpart to Band of Brothers but also different (and a little darker and more graphic).

badrose
04-28-2017, 09:28 AM

After that you'll want to watch The Pacific. Another Hanks and Speilberg collaboration. Brokaw nailed it when he said that was the greatest generation.

badrose
04-28-2017, 09:59 AM
House of Cards starts a new season on May 30th.

Doc
04-29-2017, 08:37 AM
"13 Reasons Why"..... just started it and it's pretty good. Dead HS girl leaves about her death. Just finish first episode. Predict I'll be thru 13 episodes by the end of the week

Darrell KSR
04-29-2017, 11:42 AM
After that you'll want to watch The Pacific. Another Hanks and Speilberg collaboration. Brokaw nailed it when he said that was the greatest generation.
Sounds great.

catmanjack
04-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Can anyone tell me if the sopranos is on anywhere or entourage?

badrose
04-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Can anyone tell me if the sopranos is on anywhere or entourage?

The Sopranos are on Amazon. Just checked and Entourage is as well.

catmanjack
05-04-2017, 01:16 AM
Thanks!

ukblue
05-06-2017, 03:20 PM
The Last Kingdom is a nice show and Netflix original. Show is timelined when the Norse men were invading England before the country was called England.

badrose
05-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Of course Better call Saul is back on.

Loved this latest episode.

KSRBEvans
05-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Mrs. BEvans and I have been enjoying Call The Midwife, a period drama set in London in the 50s/60s, on Netflix.

KSRBEvans
05-30-2017, 11:49 AM
In honor of Memorial Day I rewatched Band of Brothers Episode 2 ("Day of Days") and am now working my way through the whole thing again. Forgot just how wonderful it is--cinematography, writing, acting, you name it.

catmanjack
06-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Watched 13 reasons, really sad and all through the shows I hoped she did not do it!

Doc
06-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I'm halfway thru the new season of house of card. Not giving it great reviews. Good but not great. Orange is the New black due out June 9th so looking forward to that. Also binge watching Big Bang via streaming. Really like that show

Darrell KSR
06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Well, watched my first Netflix thing ever last week, Stranger things. Binged watch through it all (actually, was on in the den, and I was doing something, and got accidentally caught up in it with my wife and daughter watching it, so I did as well.

Still haven't seen anything on Amazon Prime video.

Man, I must be the perfect customer for these people. If I had no wife and kids, since I don't ever use it lol.

Doc
06-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Next season of stranger things comes out soon

Darrell KSR
06-05-2017, 05:19 PM
I liked it. I liked that 80's feel to the entire thing, and they didn't try to rush anything, just sort of let the story be told the way it needed to develop. Probably weird to say that, but it felt right.

Good to hear that the new season is coming out. Of course, I don't even know how to turn on Netflix, so I'll have to get help.

badrose
06-05-2017, 05:57 PM
D, do you have a smart TV with various apps? Chances are someone in your house uses Netflix and, if so, they can give you the password to use it on the Netflix app on your TV.

badrose
06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
***Oh, and Netflix has Andy Griffith***

Darrell KSR
06-05-2017, 06:19 PM
D, do you have a smart TV with various apps? Chances are someone in your house uses Netflix and, if so, they can give you the password to use it on the Netflix app on your TV.

I saw the Netflix icon on TV before they turned it on. Just don't know how it got there. :)

PedroDaGr8
06-05-2017, 06:51 PM
I liked it. I liked that 80's feel to the entire thing, and they didn't try to rush anything, just sort of let the story be told the way it needed to develop. Probably weird to say that, but it felt right.

Good to hear that the new season is coming out. Of course, I don't even know how to turn on Netflix, so I'll have to get help.

Don't you own a chromecast? Netflix streams easily to Chromecast.

Darrell KSR
06-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Don't you own a chromecast? Netflix streams easily to Chromecast.
Yup, couple of them. What button on the remote I press, I dunno.

PedroDaGr8
06-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Yup, couple of them. What button on the remote I press, I dunno.

Pretty much the same procedure as streaming a game via WatchESPN.

Load the Netflix app on your cellphone
Turn on your TV
Press the input button on your remote control to cycle the inputs until you find the chromecast input.
Hit the cast button in the netflix app on your phone (the same button you would use for WatchESPN).
Load your media as desired.
Done

Darrell KSR
06-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Pretty much the same procedure as streaming a game via WatchESPN.

Load the Netflix app on your cellphone
Turn on your TV
Press the input button on your remote control to cycle the inputs until you find the chromecast input.
Hit the cast button in the netflix app on your phone (the same button you would use for WatchESPN).
Load your media as desired.
Done

I can do this with an app? Man that is cool. I cast with WatchESPN as well as DroidTV, so I'm pretty well-versed in that if that's all there is to it.

PedroDaGr8
06-05-2017, 07:29 PM
I can do this with an app? Man that is cool. I cast with WatchESPN as well as DroidTV, so I'm pretty well-versed in that if that's all there is to it.
Yep, install the Netflix app. Login using your account info and stream to the TV just like you would with the other apps you use. That's literally all there is to it.

catmanjack
06-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Where can I find Game of Throns?

badrose
06-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Where can I find Game of Throns?

Amazon, but you'll have to pay, either by episode or season and you'll have to subscribe to their HBO package.

Doc
06-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Next season of "Orange is the New Black" is out. I'm on episode 8. Fairly disappointed. Not as much "prison chick on chick" action as usual, and the story line is slow moving.

catmanjack
06-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Badrose thanks for the update.

catmanjack
06-24-2017, 12:30 AM
Started season 7 of shameless on Netflix, wow what a disfunctional family!

catmanjack
06-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Finally broke down and started orange is the new black.
It's entertaining not my favorite.

badrose
07-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Catastrophe, on Amazon Prime. It's hilarious.