PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a mechanical keyboard yesterday for my surface pro/docking station

Darrell KSR
03-18-2016, 10:58 AM
I think I got "the loud one," the blue switch, but as long as it is made for typing, I'm happy.

$35 at Monoprice. Pedrodagr8 created a monster when he first revealed this site. I'm sure I'm not even a desired customer of their's, but I have bought many charging cords, adapters, car plugs, headphones, keyboards, surge protectors, and the like from them over the last couple of years.

Only thing I didn't like yesterday was the shipping, which was $10 to ship a keyboard and surge protector. But since my total was $50 (the surge protector is really cool--2160 joule protection, and the various outlets rotate around the protector, so if you have those block plugs--as I do--you can position them in ways where they don't interfere with each other), and because I paid with Paypal, I got $10 off with PAL10 as the code, so it was free shipping after all.

PedroDaGr8
03-18-2016, 01:20 PM
I think I got "the loud one," the blue switch, but as long as it is made for typing, I'm happy.

$35 at Monoprice. Pedrodagr8 created a monster when he first revealed this site. I'm sure I'm not even a desired customer of their's, but I have bought many charging cords, adapters, car plugs, headphones, keyboards, surge protectors, and the like from them over the last couple of years.

Only thing I didn't like yesterday was the shipping, which was $10 to ship a keyboard and surge protector. But since my total was $50 (the surge protector is really cool--2160 joule protection, and the various outlets rotate around the protector, so if you have those block plugs--as I do--you can position them in ways where they don't interfere with each other), and because I paid with Paypal, I got $10 off with PAL10 as the code, so it was free shipping after all.

That keyboard looks interesting, it uses Gaetron knock-offs of Cherry MX Blue key-switches. General reviews I have seen of the Gaetron switches is that they perform EXACTLY like the Cherry MX blues, down to how they sound and how they last. From what I here, these are NOISY keys, think early-80s PC keyboard noisy. That being said, they are really good at letting you know by ear if you actuated the keys. The MX Blues are intended for typing. Good choice for a typist friendly keyboard (as long as you don't need quiet).

Darrell KSR
03-18-2016, 04:03 PM
I hope it's going to be ok, but it's in a room in my house where I placed the docking station, where there is no door--there is a partition, which works well for me in blocking out noise coming in, but who knows if it will do the same going out.

Then again, when I normally use it is once or twice a week, from 7 to 5 or so, and nobody is around anyway. So it should be fine.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Good stuff here if anyone wants to try one.