PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day: any Irish ancestors?

KSRBEvans
03-17-2016, 08:50 AM
On St. Patrick's Day everybody's a little Irish, of course. Anybody in your lineage who's Irish?

On my father's side it's mostly English and Welsh. On my mother's side we have lots of Irish: O'Briens, Murphys, McGuires. As best as I can tell they didn't come over in the wave of immigration associated with the Irish potato famine, but came in the Scots-Irish immigration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Americans#17th_to_mid-19th_century) in the 17th and 18th centuries.

On my bucket list is researching where my Irish ancestors came from in Ireland, then visiting Ireland and seeing those places.

MickintheHam
03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Do you think Mick is Irish??

Irish and English/Welsh on my mother's side. The Irish Mannings were from County Cork. I always remember my dad's good friend Johnny O'Dea. Johnny loved St. Patty's day as much as anyone I ever knew. He was the one who recommended me as a Kentucky Colonel and presented me the certificate on St. Patty's Day 42 years ago!

UKFlounder
03-17-2016, 08:42 PM
All I can find is a census record that says my 3x great-grandfather's father was born in Ireland. A re or don ancestry.com from a distant cousin says that one of my great-uncles said our family was Scottish but came through Ireland. That seems to be reasonable for the name McCormick.

I have not found my 4x great grandfather's name or any other details other than he was born in Pennsylvania.

CitizenBBN
03-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Oh, lots of Irish in my family. Like Flounder, supposedly my family is from Scotland but migrated to Ireland like a lot of Scots as things got worse in Scotland, and then from Ireland came to the US.

A lot of Scottish folk went to Ireland, many others to Nova Scotia, during that period. They did that only to then have thing in Ireland get even worse than they were in Scotland.

dan_bgblue
03-18-2016, 09:54 AM
I really like shepherds pie, and Irish whiskey

PedroDaGr8
03-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Maternal grandmothers maiden name was Phelan, about as Irish as it gets, otherwise all German. Needless to say there is a LOT of alcohol consumption at family get togethers.