PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

Darrell KSR
03-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Just post something you remember from the past. It can be something fun, something we miss, or something that we are thankful is gone.

I've got millions of them. And they are not all "get off my lawn" types, although admittedly, many are.

I will post one after this. Please join me.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Remember when....

There were phone booths on most streets?

blueboss
03-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Remember when...

There were only three television stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeepcat
03-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Remember when...

You used to listen to the radio all day to catch your favorite song just so you could record it to a cassette...

Jeeepcat
03-17-2016, 12:48 AM
...you used to wait for the Cats Pause to arrive so you could catch up on all the recruiting news...

Padukacat
03-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Kids played wiffle ball

ShoesSwayedBlue
03-17-2016, 06:46 AM
There were no passwords?

Padukacat
03-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Basketball Shorts looked like this...

cattails
03-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Remember when gas was $.25

My dad had a gas station or 2 and as a young kid I would pump gas

suncat05
03-17-2016, 08:15 AM
When White Castle hamburgers were $.15?

Terminus
03-17-2016, 08:22 AM
When kids went outside and you could actually yell at them to get off your lawn.

dan_bgblue
03-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Remember when there were no divided interstate highways of 4 lanes or more?

UKHistory
03-17-2016, 09:01 AM
There was such a thing as regular gas.

suncat05
03-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Remember when you buy a bottle of Coca-Cola, Pepsi Cola, or RC Cola for a nickel? And they had real sugar in their ingredients, not high fructose corn syrup?

HCCATFAN
03-17-2016, 09:04 AM
You went out for Halloween after sunset instead of midday.

ETWNAPPEL
03-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Madonna was actually hot?

MickintheHam
03-17-2016, 09:25 AM
There was such a thing as regular gas.

The other choice wa Ethyl.

MickintheHam
03-17-2016, 09:27 AM
There were gas wars on Dixie Hghwy in Louisville.

suncat05
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
There were local neighborhood "Mom-n-Pop" grocery stores with actual butchers at the meat counter?

dan_bgblue
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Remember when gas was $.25

My dad had a gas station or 2 and as a young kid I would pump gas

There were actually "service" stations in every town in America?

dan_bgblue
03-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Cars did not have seat belts and people used to ride in the back of pick up trucks?

blueboss
03-17-2016, 10:03 AM
When you went to the record store, and there were records... When you referred to a 45 it was a record not a gun.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Remember when...

"near letter quality" was a 9-pin dot matrix printer setting. And letter quality was a 24-pin dot matrix printer.

KSRBEvans
03-17-2016, 10:28 AM
they had those old soda machines where you put the money in, opened the door and pulled the bottle out? Or the ones where you bent over, opened the lid, put the $ in and slid the bottle down and pulled it out?

StuBleedsBlue2
03-17-2016, 10:50 AM
they had those old soda machines where you put the money in, opened the door and pulled the bottle out? Or the ones where you bent over, opened the lid, put the $ in and slid the bottle down and pulled it out?

That's a good one. How about remember when you used to load the car up with returnable soda bottles, load them up in a grocery cart at the store and slide them down the roller racks.

MickintheHam
03-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Lotus 1-2-3 was the spreadsheet of choice and everyone used WordPerfect.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Remember when....

Telephones were attached to the wall?

KSRBEvans
03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
That's a good one. How about remember when you used to load the car up with returnable soda bottles, load them up in a grocery cart at the store and slide them down the roller racks.

Yes! We had a retired guy who lived next door when I was growing up. He paid me to cut his grass and wash his cars, and he also gave me his bottles to return to the store. I made about $15/week from all that, which was a lot of money for a kid in the 70s.

suncat05
03-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Do you remember when you actually went to the local public library and withdrew an actual book made out of paper and the due date was marked on your library card?

dan_bgblue
03-17-2016, 04:07 PM
What is a library card?:evilgrin0007:

dan_bgblue
03-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Do you remember when Saturday mornings on the TV were all about cartoons for about 3 or 4 hours?

Jeeepcat
03-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Dimmer switch on the floor, as it should be :-)

Doc
03-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Darrell had hair? Me neither. :tongue08:

To get on the internet you had to put your phone in a cradle and it made that go awful sound
Remember when AL Gore invented the internet?
There wasn't a magic money card
Beer cans had pull tabs
You respected politicians

blueboss
03-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Remember when...

This thread was on the premium board??

I do!!!!

CitizenBBN
03-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Do you remember when Saturday mornings on the TV were all about cartoons for about 3 or 4 hours?

Greatest travesty of all. How do kids learn anything without a good 90 minutes of Looney Tunes?

PedroDaGr8
03-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Greatest travesty of all. How do kids learn anything without a good 90 minutes of Looney Tunes?

What is amazing to me is how SCREWED traditional broadcasters are going to be in about 10 years as these kids come of age. When I think of my friends kids, ALL of them have been raised on childrens programming on Netflix or Amazon. Why? Because it is perfect for parents. No waiting until 10am Saturay morning, it is ready when you need it and the kids want to watch it. As a result though, the kids have almost no tolerance for ads. One friends kids were VERY confused the first time they saw an ad. They kinda freaked out and thought someone changed their show (to them, they were watching their show and all of a sudden new video is there which is not their show). Even the older kids don't tolerate them well, especially in comparison to how we grew up being trained to tolerate commercials.

CitizenBBN
03-17-2016, 07:55 PM
lol, good point. For us commercials are like a circadian rhythm. they're a natural pausing spot for us for a bathroom break or get a drink, b/c we didn't have pause.

But what bothers me is that kids to today are socialized largely on an ideal plane that frankly I find almost sickening. Everything in the programming you're talking about is a message of cooperation and tree hugging. That's fine and wonderful, but I hate to tell everyone, the world doesn't yet work that way.

The old cartoons were great b/c they weren't written for kids, they were written for adults with a very wry sense of humor. I like stuff that isn't written down to kids but written with layers. I had no idea who Wendell Wilkie was. :)

UKFlounder
03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Staying up for a 10:00 basketball game was fairly easy, even routine?

MickintheHam
03-17-2016, 08:52 PM
You watched Bob Schreve and the Schoenling All Night Movie

Darrell KSR
03-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Do you remember....one of these?

dan_bgblue
03-18-2016, 09:47 AM
I have some in my freezer for those days when I want to remember those good ole days

dan_bgblue
03-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Remember when tattoos were only for sailors and outlaw bikers?

Darrell KSR
03-18-2016, 09:53 AM
I have some in my freezer for those days when I want to remember those good ole days
They're not good, but heck, they're edible. It makes me want to go buy a couple myself.

CitizenBBN
03-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm enjoying this thread. I think about several of these things from time to time, esp. riding in the back of the pickup as a kid. safety was that the young kids had to sit all the way down in the bed, only the big kids could ride on the wheel well. Of course growing up riding on the fenders of tractors the pickup was easy.

Remember when you got in your car to go somewhere and if someone called it was just tough? You might call in when you got somewhere, otherwise that was about it.

dan_bgblue
03-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Remember when you got in your car to go somewhere and if someone called it was just tough? You might call in when you got somewhere, otherwise that was about it.

And I long for that day to return. Blow up all the cell phone towers in one day is my wish. ;-)

I fondly remember that when I was on the road, I would call into the office 3 or 4 times a day to get my messages and spend a few minutes on the phone, land line of course, returning the calls if they were important enough to tend to right away. Then back in the truck to the next stop. It was very relaxing compared to having a dang cell phone ringing or a text buzzer going off, or an email notice pinging at me all dang day long.

blueboss
03-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Remember when...

You had to have a bottle opener to open your sodie pop, and it was just about the coolest thing I ever saw when my dad opened one for me off the edge of the picnic table.

Darrell KSR
03-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Remember when...

You HAD to wind your watch. No batteries. And no digital.

kingcat
03-19-2016, 10:35 AM
it's cliché I know, but I remember always going out to pee, and in to eat.

Weekend keg parties

Doc
03-19-2016, 02:57 PM
When a DUI got a few hours in jail and a $100 fine?

kingcat
03-20-2016, 11:34 AM
When a DUI got a few hours in jail and a $100 fine?

That's back when you could not accidently murder someone, nor intentionally murder someone and get away with it on a technicality.

https://openclipart.org/image/90px/svg_to_png/62989/scales-of-justice.png

Darrell KSR
03-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Do you remember when....

A good defense to killing someone was "they needed killin'"?

Oops. I see that in certain Alabama counties today.

blueboss
03-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Do you remember when....

A good defense to killing someone was "they needed killin'"?

Oops. I see that in certain Alabama counties today.

Does "they had it coming to'em" count?

blueboss
03-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Remember when...

Clothes were hung outside on the clothes line and how great the sheets felt and smelled when the bed was made with sheets fresh off of the line.

Padukacat
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Remember when kids all had a sand box in their yard to play in...and stray cats pooped in it

dan_bgblue
03-22-2016, 02:51 PM
I remember the sand pile, we did not have a box for it, but cat poop in the pile? Nope, cats either stayed at the barn, or they went missing almost as soon as they showed up.

UKFlounder
03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
What about being excited about going to the video store to get the latest movie on VHS?

I was cited when I finally got a CD player and no longer had to listen to cassettes.

blueboss
03-22-2016, 05:09 PM
What about being excited about going to the video store to get the latest movie on VHS?

I was cited when I finally got a CD player and no longer had to listen to cassettes.

How'd you feel about 8 track tapes? I thought that was the craziest thing ever, just pop it in and would keep playing forever.

UKFlounder
03-22-2016, 05:49 PM
I barely remember them I know I listened to be once in my grandpa's car and that my dad talks about having a garbage bag full of them that he wishes he still had, but I came around in the age of boom boxes nd cassettes. I think the first story my parents got me was "50's Dance Party" while they got a Pointer Sisters one for my brother.

I actually remember listening to records more than 8-tracks. My brother and I especially liked "The Devil Went Doen to,Georgia" because it said "don of a bitch" though I think our mom tried to annoy us either "Don't it Make my Brown Eyes Blue." I don't know why I remember that

Doc
03-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Remember when you could sit in your dads lap and drive the car.

Cigarette commercials on TV

Darrell KSR
03-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I barely remember them I know I listened to be once in my grandpa's car and that my dad talks about having a garbage bag full of them that he wishes he still had, but I came around in the age of boom boxes nd cassettes. I think the first story my parents got me was "50's Dance Party" while they got a Pointer Sisters one for my brother.

I actually remember listening to records more than 8-tracks. My brother and I especially liked "The Devil Went Doen to,Georgia" because it said "don of a bitch" though I think our mom tried to annoy us either "Don't it Make my Brown Eyes Blue." I don't know why I remember that
I wasn't a Chrystal Gayle fan. Til she came to campus for a concert in the basketball Coliseum and I saw her up close. Ahh, that long hair...

suncat05
03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Does "they had it coming to'em" count?

The last murder trial we had here the defendant took the stand to testify. I about fell over when he turned to the jury and told them "the SOB was just begging to be shot, so I did it!".
Not surprisingly, the jury found him guilty.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Now, now.. Let's be careful and air on the side of caution. No need to be their escape goat.

Padukacat
03-26-2016, 06:43 AM
Remember when you could eat an entire box of cereal and not gain a pound? I can still eat a box of cereal, just killed some Cinnamon Toast Crunch!

Padukacat
03-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Remember the Dukes of Hazard, my favorite show of all time? "just a good 'ole boys, never meanin no harm. Beats all they ever saw been in trouble with the law since the day they were born".

Heard that coming on one time as a kid and took off running from the kitchen to our "garage converted to a den" and tripped on a threshold and fell headfirst on the brick steps. Trip to the ER.

blueboss
03-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Remember when...

Turns were signaled by sticking your arm out the window, arm straight out was a left turn, and arm bent upward hand open was a right turn.

They had signals before I started driving but I remember my grandfather signaling out the window with his arm

dan_bgblue
03-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Remember when elevators had operators and they had scissor style gates instead of doors?

Doc
03-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Remember the Dukes of Hazard, my favorite show of all time? "just a good 'ole boys, never meanin no harm. Beats all they ever saw been in trouble with the law since the day they were born".

Heard that coming on one time as a kid and took off running from the kitchen to our "garage converted to a den" and tripped on a threshold and fell headfirst on the brick steps. Trip to the ER.

More like "Remember when watching that didn't get you labelled as a racist?"

ukblue
03-26-2016, 07:15 PM
When you first got hooked up to the phone company you had to hook up to a eight party line.

BigBluePappy
03-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Area Code
Exchange
Trunk

Thanks for the memory ukblue.

blueboss
03-27-2016, 12:23 AM
While we're on the subject of phones

Remember rotary phones? At one point we had a horrible number to dial

897-0003.... It took forever to dial.. If it had been 0009 nobody would have ever called us.

dan_bgblue
03-27-2016, 10:58 AM
That gives new meaning to "speed dial"

blueboss
03-27-2016, 07:43 PM
That gives new meaning to "speed dial"

I was the happiest guy ever when touch tone phones came out.

I actually used the excuse to my parents when asked why I didn't call and tell them I was going to be late was because it would take too long.

ukblue
03-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I still have a rotary dial phone. Can't tear it up and works if the power is off.

dan_bgblue
03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
I have an early touch tone phone that does the same thing. Can't think of even going back to rotary, as I would never be able to call blueboss.

MickintheHam
03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
remember when............

there was no air conditioning

blueboss
03-28-2016, 09:39 PM
remember when............

there was no air conditioning

I remember when we got air conditioning in our house, and when we got a car with air conditioning

Remember when

Businesses had the polar bear sign on the front door advertising their business was air conditioned

They always said "Brrrrrrrr come on in it's cool inside"

MickintheHam
03-29-2016, 10:26 AM
I remember when we got air conditioning in our house, and when we got a car with air conditioning

Remember when

Businesses had the polar bear sign on the front door advertising their business was air conditioned

They always said "Brrrrrrrr come on in it's cool inside"

I remember when our family got the first air conditioner. It was a window unit. It served the dining room and living room, but the kids were never allowed in those rooms. We never ran the unit all that much. My mother believed the air conditioner was the source of her sinus problems.

UKHistory
03-29-2016, 04:03 PM
That's back when you could not accidently murder someone, nor intentionally murder someone and get away with it on a technicality.

https://openclipart.org/image/90px/svg_to_png/62989/scales-of-justice.png

That is when cars were made of steel and had chrome that would protect folks more so than today.

PedroDaGr8
03-29-2016, 09:34 PM
That is when cars were made of steel and had chrome that would protect folks more so than today.
Haha, you are being sarcastic I hope.

suncat05
03-30-2016, 12:44 PM
My Dad had an old Buick, early 50's model, and it had an A/C unit in it. You had to put a big chunk of ice in the side opening port. Do any of you guys here remember anything similiar to that?

blueboss
03-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Remember when

A&W was a drive in sodie pop shop, and they gave you those little plastic monkeys hanging on the side of the mugs??