PDA

View Full Version : Question for any Florida residents

Padukacat
03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Wanted to see if anyone here could give me some feedback on living in central to north Florida. I have a job opportunity that may have presented itself and I'm of the mind to consider moving for the first time. I would likely be asked to live around Orlando for one job and the other would likely put me north of there an hour or so. Any feedback on cities, schools, and general way of life would be appreciated. Also any feedback on leaving behind friends and family which is the hard part for me. I believe my wife and I both would enjoy the challenge of changing careers but we have it awfully good now, just want a new challenge and were limited here. Kids would be open to it but my family and friends would hate it. Anyone that has made a similar change I'd love your thoughts, and people who know The state.

Padukacat
03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
And jazy if you read this don't mention it to my dad yet it's way early! Ha

suncat05
03-03-2016, 01:31 PM
My daughter was just home this past weekend, and indicated to me that she's seriously looking for work in the Orlando area. Says the money in her occupational specialty pays better than it does in Gainesville.
I have spoken with several people recently that live in that area, but no real specifics or details. But I can tell you this because I have seen it with my own two eyes...........traffic in the Orlando area is terrible. ALL YEAR LONG! You can thank Mickey Mouse for that. But aside from that, property values are decent(although taxes are a bit high there), there is plenty to do, shopping is very good, and because of its very central location in Florida and the highway hubs that pass through the area, you can get just about anywhere in Florida from the Orlando area in a decent amount of time. But traffic in the Orange/Osceola/Seminole county areas is terrible all year long.

Doc
03-03-2016, 02:08 PM
We were in your boat 23 years ago. Moved from KY to FL. Left family and my wife changed jobs, etc.....

Was a great move for us financially. Cost of living is much higher in FL so expect that. A $500,000 home in KY and a $500,000 home in FL are two totally different things! Of course no state income tax is nice but the higher cost of living won't make up for it. Schools will be an upgrade for the most part but it is dependent upon county and location w/in county. I've had two go thru public schools and can say their educations were excellent, but we lived in a small town that is fairly affluent so the expectation had much to do with it. As for Orlando, obviously lots of opportunity there and lots of things to do. Being Northern FL gives you options as far as travel goes too. As Suncat says, the traffic in Orlando is pretty messed up but once there you can figure it out. It's not Chicago bad but it can be irritating at times. Obviously with all the theme parks (Disney, Universal, SeaWorld) you have plenty of entertainment options, plus Tampa is only a short trip (an hour), Miami is 4 hrs and Atlanta not too far (6 hrs). Major airport right there making travel easy. Drawbacks are no seasons. We miss that but then we try to travel every winter to see snow (skiing or something with a winter). Orlando doesn't have coastline but its not too far from the ocean so if that is of interest, you have it too.

Padukacat
03-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the input

Darrell KSR
03-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Just be ready to embrace a lifestyle change. It could be good, bad, or just different, but it is guaranteed to be different than what you do today. I've gone from relatively small towns like Monroe, LA, to New Orleans and Miami, then back down to Montgomery, Alabama, and then back up (mostly) to Birmingham. Each has been a change in our lifestyle. It changes you, too. That's not necessarily bad, but just be aware that it's not just the job that will present a change in your life, but the whole enchilada.

KentuckyWildcat
03-05-2016, 07:16 AM
I don't have any input, I just feel the need to talk :)

My boss is going about an hour south of Orlando to retire. She can't wait to go as they visit her brother in law often and love it. But she hates winter here. Me personally, I would miss the seasons. Fall in Kentucky is amazing to me. But I do hope to someday snowbird the month of February. I actually like most of winter, but when it becomes a muddy mess I could go away for a few weeks and never miss it.

If I could be within driving distance of Siesta Key, I'd probably consider it. But it would take a big raise for me to do it. As I don't think my wife's salary would really increase down there. Mine definitely could, but not sure how much (never looked). Assuming her salary would not increase, I would probably need to double mine. But as you know it is about doing what is best for your family.

Good luck in your decision.

KentuckyWildcat
03-05-2016, 07:22 AM
I will add my friends took what appeared to be a lateral move financially near Jacksonville. They seem to enjoy it a lot...

MickintheHam
03-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Florida is a long way from anywhere. #1 consider the kids. If they are old enough to stay by themselves, you have few problems. Otherwise you and your wife will spend more time at home together than if you had family and friends nearby. Good luck!