PDA

View Full Version : How ESPN ditched journalism and followed Skip Bayless to the Bottom

ColonelSteve
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Long but GREAT read

http://deadspin.com/5929361/how-espn-ditched-journalism-and-followed-skip-bayless-to-the-bottom-a-tim-tebow-story?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

KSRBEvans
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I read the oral history of ESPN, "These Guys Have All The Fun," (http://www.amazon.com/Those-Guys-Have-All-Fun/dp/031604301X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352834513&sr=1-1&keywords=these+guys+have+all+the+fun) this summer. It was a very interesting read, especially about how they transitioned from being primarily a news reporting organization to being a company that started chasing ratings.

To me the switch was epitomized by their decision to throw David Aldridge aside for Steven A. Smith in 2004. Aldridge was a solid, well-respected reporter without any pretenses. Steven A. Smith puts his pants on his head, sets them on fire and runs around yelling, "Look at me! Look at me!" Ditto Bayless. People like that make me change the channel, but apparently I'm in the distinct minority, because ESPN keeps them gainfully employed.

CatinIL
11-13-2012, 09:51 PM
As far as ESPN goes, for me, if UK isn't playing on one of the ESPN channels, then I really don't watch the network.

BarristerCat
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I had intentions of posting that very article. I'm glad somebody wrote it all down because I've been arguing this for quite a while. There is very little meaningful analysis on ESPN at this point. Their analysis segments all revolve around staged disagreement for the purposes of gathering ratings. So, I don't really get it when folks get upset because whichever ESPN analyst says something nonsensical about UK. They're being told to take outlandish and contrarian positions by their producers. It's not like they actually believe half of the stuff they say.

bigronhahn1011
11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
I can remember a time, long ago, when ESPN actually talked about sports kinda in the same way that MTV actually played music videos. Or did I just dream that happened.........

ColonelSteve
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I read the oral history of ESPN, "These Guys Have All The Fun," (http://www.amazon.com/Those-Guys-Have-All-Fun/dp/031604301X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352834513&sr=1-1&keywords=these+guys+have+all+the+fun) this summer. It was a very interesting read, especially about how they transitioned from being primarily a news reporting organization to being a company that started chasing ratings.

To me the switch was epitomized by their decision to throw David Aldridge aside for Steven A. Smith in 2004. Aldridge was a solid, well-respected reporter without any pretenses. Steven A. Smith puts his pants on his head, sets them on fire and runs around yelling, "Look at me! Look at me!" Ditto Bayless. People like that make me change the channel, but apparently I'm in the distinct minority, because ESPN keeps them gainfully employed.

Stephan A Smith is one of the dumbest people I have ever seen, The Onion...for those who dont know writes nothing but satirical articles...wrote a story about how it was time for him to scream the talk about the birds and the bees to his son...not getting the joke, he completely melts down on Twitter about it, making sure people knew he didnt even have a son and didnt understand why people would attack him with such vicious lies...then when he got completely destroyed by it, he just goes "oops, oh yeah, I knew it was a joke, I was laughing the whole time" Guy is a huge moron

fastkat
11-14-2012, 06:47 PM
So, I don't really get it when folks get upset because whichever ESPN analyst says something nonsensical about UK. They're being told to take outlandish and contrarian positions by their producers. It's not like they actually believe half of the stuff they say.

When it comes to Bobby Knight I'm sure he believes everything he says about that SEC team.

BarristerCat
11-14-2012, 11:39 PM
When it comes to Bobby Knight I'm sure he believes everything he says about that SEC team.

I didn't think I had to spell out the fact that I wasn't really talking about him. Obviously he has an actual anti-UK agenda.

CitizenBBN
11-15-2012, 02:09 AM
ESPN is to journalism what sitcoms are to journalism. They aren't reporters or analysts. They're reality TV personalities.

They've even tried to build up this hip image of Bilas. I like Bilas but he's about as hip as drywall. He's one of the few on there who still kinda talks about actual facts.

It's not just ESPN though. What passes for journalism everywhere would make Hearst blush. You've got Larry and those few who follow his example of actual journalism, then you've got a bunch of carnival acts doing goofy stuff to get web hits instead of getting you to buy tickets to see the show.

ColonelSteve
11-15-2012, 04:56 PM
RIP CNN, former ESPN top executive and the genius who hired Rush Limbaugh for Monday Night Football is taking over the top position at CNN...was a good run while it lasted

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-mark-shapiro-candidate-cnn-20121115,0,4384661.story

CitizenBBN
11-15-2012, 11:46 PM
RIP CNN, former ESPN top executive and the genius who hired Rush Limbaugh for Monday Night Football is taking over the top position at CNN...was a good run while it lasted

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-mark-shapiro-candidate-cnn-20121115,0,4384661.story

CNN died as a sound news agency a long time ago IMO, this is just them getting fully off the fence. Talking heads and bluster and far less objective than they were in their very early days.

Though I do miss what's his name hiding under the table in his hotel room in Baghdad. That was high entertainment.

SalsaKat
11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
They've even tried to build up this hip image of Bilas. I like Bilas but he's about as hip as drywall.

Which is what makes it hilariously awesome. I love seeing Mr. Buttoned Down White Man quoting Jeezy lyrics in his Buttoned Down White Man Voice.

You're right about the death of journalism though. It's been buried and rotted away for some time. I'm not really sure how we ever got to a point where agenda > truth but it's scary.