PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins suspended two games for confronting Spurs announcer

ColonelSteve
11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
The Sacramento Kings’ DeMarcus Cousins has been suspended two games without pay for confronting Spurs announcer Sean Elliot in a hostile manner following San Antonio’s 97-86 over Sacramento November 9 at Sleep Train Arena, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President Basketball Operations.

Cousins will serve his suspension tonight when the Kings play the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center and Tuesday against Portland at Sleep Train Arena.

According to the San Antonio Express-News blog, “Apparently informed postgame of Elliott’s remarks, Cousins appeared on the court in his uniform and confronted Elliott after he and broadcaster Bill Land completed their postgame show. “I was wondering why Cousins was out there in his uniform waiting for them to finish his postgame show,” said Bill Schoening, who does the play-by-play call on radio broadcasts of Spurs games. “Then I saw them in an animated conversation out on the court. “I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene, but I couldn’t hear what was being said.”

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11430#ixzz2BxkPLSq5

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
He's got more guts than me to badmouth Cousins. Wonder what he said about Cuz.

ColonelSteve
11-11-2012, 07:20 PM
He's got more guts than me to badmouth Cousins. Wonder what he said about Cuz.

IDK but apparently a couple years ago he wouldnt stop referring to Lamar Odom as Mr. Kardashian so its obvious he loves to push buttons

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
IDK but apparently a couple years ago he wouldnt stop referring to Lamar Odom as Mr. Kardashian so its obvious he loves to push buttons

Wow. Yeah sounds like he's that type. If they fire coaches for not getting along with star players, do announcers think they're indispensable ?

Pushing Cuz's buttons isn't a smart move. Great kid, but do not poke him.

Darrell KSR
11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
First, Boogie has to reign it in. Inappropriate to do what he did. (I might've done the same, but I'm immature, and not making what he's making.)

Having said that--the story goes like this, as I've read it. Elliot (who got Jeff Goodman's stamp of approval immediately as nothing but class--seriously) said something about Cousins and Duncan trash-talking each other. Cousins didn't respond, and they played thereafter. Duncan blocked a shot, and Elliot said some stuff about shutting up Cousins...well, here's what he said, quoted:
Elliott responded with this little tirade in defense of his former teammate (via Spurs Nation):

"That's why some humility is in order,” Elliott said on the air. “You think you're dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn't like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he's going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I'm not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclub should learn from this. Don't start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He's going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”

I thought CBS Sports Zach Harper had the right outlook. Harper said nothing would happen from the confrontation (he obviously said he was wrong thereafter), but this is what he wrote about it--

The Kings big man can be a very unfiltered stream of consciousness on and off the court, especially when he gets going. Elliott is the same way at the broadcast table when his Spurs are playing, well, poorly or even just breathing. Put the two together, and you get a very awkward combination.

Correct.

Interestingly, even after all of it took place, and somebody went and told Cousins about it, Cousins just responded that the announcer was "immature."

Had he left it there, Elliot would've looked like an idiot, and Cousins very mature for handling it that way. Alas, Cuz did not handle it that well, and created the problem that you now see by confronting him thereafter.

As I said on twitter, put somebody else's name on the jersey, and it's not news. But Cousins did not handle it well; another black mark on the guy who already has a very thin margin for error.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20939193/nba-will-review-the-exchange-between-demarcus-cousins-and-sean-elliott

Again, I'll quote from the article and think this guy is dead on--

Cousins is a guy who just says whatever comes into his mind, or so it seems. This isn't a bad thing for the league, necessarily. It's just something that he and his team will have to deal with from time to time. As long as he's producing and the Kings are winning, it won't really be an issue; it'll just be a fun side story on many nights. Unfortunately for the Kings, they're 2-4 this season so it ends up looking like more of a distraction than it probably is.

Elliott is a pretty big homer for the Spurs by broadcasting standards on the local telecasts you'll find on NBA League Pass. He seems to often be rooting for the Spurs, which makes sense when you factor in that he played for the organization for 11 of his 12 seasons in the NBA. He was teammates with Duncan, played for Gregg Popovich and is essentially paid to talk about the team that he's rooting for.

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
He shouldn't have done it, but two games seems silly even for Cuz. he didn't punch him or anything did he? You get less than that for going after an official.

He was doing great as you said by just saying it was immature and moving on. I still wouldn't have the guts to poke him like that, and clearly Elliott is as immature or more immature than Cuz.

Darrell KSR
11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ko0U8B0WSc#!

CitizenBBN
11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I love Cuz. He's a good guy who feels very picked on. He loved being at UK b/c he wasn't here, which he said very matter of factly. He's emotional and doesn't have the polish of a politician but he's also sensitive about having bad things said about him that aren't justified. Sometimes that comes out like that piece where he's down about it, sometimes he's mad about it.

He needs to not take idiots like Elliot personally, but he does take things personally and then of course has a personal emotional reaction. Nothing will fix that but time.

He also made the mistake here of getting caught. You have your words with him with no one else around where there are no witnesses.