PDA

View Full Version : The NON Gun Free Zone

dan_bgblue
02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Oklahoma staffers allowed to carry on campus (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/05/some-oklahoma-schools-display-signs-warning-staffers-could-be-armed.html?intcmp=hplnws)

CitizenBBN
02-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Love it.

KeithKSR
02-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Eliminates those schools as soft targets.

KentuckyWildcat
02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
We have 2 that carry on our campus. I wish a few more could.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

suncat05
02-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Outstanding! :sFl_america2:

Doc
02-07-2016, 01:31 PM
imo its sort of dumb to have unarmed security people. sort of defeats the purpose. But reading the article, it sounds like this goes a step farther and allows faculity to carry if trained and authorized. To me that is an excellent idea. The issue to me would now come down to the training and checking of who has the authorization. Of course you would hope that a teacher or school faculity member would be thoroughly background checked anyway.

As an aside, my wife worked at the V.A. in Muskogee OK for several months in 1990. I spent 2 of the coldest weeks of my life there in December of that year. I was in my Sr year at Auburn when she was transfered there so we spent Xmas break together. (Coincidentally our daughter was born early Oct of the next year-----). Anyway, Muskogee is in the middle of NOWHERE. Its just a city in the middle of nothing. So if there was an incident it wouldnt shock me if it took an hour for a police officer to arrive. Makes something like this logical.

CitizenBBN
02-07-2016, 07:51 PM
lol Doc.

Your point is a good one. There are a lot of places in the country that the cops aren't next door, and to go further the adage of "when seconds matter the police are just minutes away" is cheesy but true. When a bad guy goes after a target like this he can do a lot of damage before anyone can get there from another location. Our schools need to be able to defend themselves on their own.

Absolutely those who carry should be trained, but as you said hopefully the existing pool of teachers and administrators in a school is a good one from which to choose.

KentuckyWildcat
02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
I would consider it if allowed. I wish we were at least armed with something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Doc
02-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Back in my days, this worked

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1419399154ra/13057616.gif

Not any more. Times have changed.

suncat05
02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Jesus, Doc, you just made me have a Catholic grade school flashback! Good Lord, Sister Mary Magdelen was brutal with that damn ruler!

elicat
02-23-2016, 09:08 PM
And now students in Texas. (http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/UH-faculty-may-drop-topics-from-curriculum-as-6849002.php)

For the first time ever in the history of the world, students will be showing up to class in Texas (!) carrying, so nothing will ever be the same as it was, say, yesterday, when they were doing exactly the same thing.

The only question is why the Texas legislature felt they had to weigh in on this at all, when they could have achieved their goals by quietly letting what was already happening keep happening.

CitizenBBN
02-24-2016, 09:18 AM
And now students in Texas. (http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/UH-faculty-may-drop-topics-from-curriculum-as-6849002.php)

For the first time ever in the history of the world, students will be showing up to class in Texas (!) carrying, so nothing will ever be the same as it was, say, yesterday, when they were doing exactly the same thing.

The only question is why the Texas legislature felt they had to weigh in on this at all, when they could have achieved their goals by quietly letting what was already happening keep happening.

With students potentially carrying weapons after Aug. 1, University of Houston faculty members may want to avoid sensitive subjects or drop certain topics from their curriculum altogether, a forum of professors suggested recently.

This just highlights what is wrong with education in this country, and just how dominated universities are by left wing fools. Do they think that anyone who is going to pull out a gun and shoot someone over a class discussion is NOT carrying a gun in the past only b/c of a carry law? Or that once carry is allowed the very act of carrying will turn normal students into raving lunatics who pull their guns in those situations?

That's so classically leftist thinking, this notion that once the government passes a law that fixes everything. There has been a ban on carrying so of course no one will, esp. someone unstable enough to shoot a teacher over a class assignment.

Not to mention 20 years of empirical evidence that these doomsday predictions about carry are utter nonsense. I do find it funny that Texas is just as infected by this kind of thinking as the rest of the country.
The Austin campus President is trying to figure out how to skirt the law and ban guns in dorms, etc. Yeah, they can carry on campus so long as they don't have it in their room. And where do these guns go the rest of that time? seriously they are considering some kind of separate storage lockers. Yeah, that's not a safety problem.

Once again the expansion of Texas' carry laws shows that there is no Wild West event when you let people carry in order to defend themselves. Americans aren't the helpless sheep the Left thinks us to be, the vast majority are perfectly capable of carrying a gun and not losing our minds at the same time and the few who aren't are going to carry and do deranged things whether there is a law permitting carry or not. Decades of empirical evidence has shown both to be true.