PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner opens fire on home invasion this afternoon

Darrell KSR
01-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Not a huge story, this kind of thing happens more and more often. Here, there were three creeps who broke into a man's home around 4 p.m. The owner confronted them, shot and hit one of the guys in the leg, and the other two fled.

Police nabbed the one bleeding on the kitchen floor, but the other two got away.

Not a great area, but not that bad, either. Lower middle class, blue collar type area, if I have the area right. I know the area generally.

I respect the heck out of my friends who are not gun owners, and do not want guns in or around their house, but I probably have more friends who would do just like this homeowner did. I hope I never have to, of course.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/01/jeffco_homeowner_shoots_wounds.html

CitizenBBN
01-28-2016, 05:57 PM
You raise an interesting point. The poll on the percentage of people who feel safer with a gun in the home has done a 180 in the last 10+ years. From the pew research:

And among the public at large, the latest Gallup survey finds that 63% of Americans now say having a gun in the home makes it a safer place (http://www.gallup.com/poll/179213/six-americans-say-guns-homes-safer.aspx?utm_source=gun%20safer%20place&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=tiles) compared with 30% who say it makes a home more dangerous. Fifteen years ago, more said the presence of a gun made a home more dangerous (51%) than safer (35%).

The study is really good, and in essence shows that in the early 90s people who saw crime as an issue wanted MORE gun control, and now that has reversed and people see the answer to the crime risk as being armed to defend themselves. I think they figured out that gun control only keeps it way from honest people, not criminals, so the answer is to be armed and able to provide one's own defense.

That parallels the move to expanded carry options and the castle doctrine of home defense. People want to be able to legally defend themselves. They see the adage as true: when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

The laws esp. up north where you are supposed to retreat even to the point of leaving your home rather than harm a burglar just took it too far, and now it's swung the other way (thank goodness).

here's the whole summary. Great data in it:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/17/despite-lower-crime-rates-support-for-gun-rights-increases/

Doc
01-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Not a huge story, this kind of thing happens more and more often. Here, there were three creeps who broke into a man's home around 4 p.m. The owner confronted them, shot and hit one of the guys in the leg, and the other two fled.

Police nabbed the one bleeding on the kitchen floor, but the other two got away.

Not a great area, but not that bad, either. Lower middle class, blue collar type area, if I have the area right. I know the area generally.

I respect the heck out of my friends who are not gun owners, and do not want guns in or around their house, but I probably have more friends who would do just like this homeowner did. I hope I never have to, of course.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/01/jeffco_homeowner_shoots_wounds.html

And I'm one of those. I likewise have no issue with a homeowner having a gun and using it to protect their home and possessions. Clearly a citizen have every right to do that. Gun ownership for protection of property is NEVER an issue with me. Use by responsible law abiding adults will never ever draw criticism from me. In fact it would not surprise me that once my home is empty of children that I don't purchase a gun for protection. I just don't want one around the home when there is a chance that it could end up in the hands of somebody less responsible. And in full disclosure, we do have several weapons in our home, courtesy of "Tommy" who lives with us. He is my daughter boy friend who resides in our home for the last 4 years. He just completed the police academy and of course has a weapon, kept in a locker in his room. My daughter has one as well althought not as well kept. Last time she took her car into the mechanic, I got a call informing me that here was a pistol in the back seat. Not too smart....but I digress and am off topic

Personally, I would have a hard time having killed anybody, even somebody breaking into my home. Its a tough thing. I'm sure there are many folks who have shooters regret but then its it them or me, I'm picking them.

suncat05
01-29-2016, 09:46 AM
If you ever do decide to purchase a handgun and have it in your home, I sincerely hope that at worst, all you would ever have to do is display biting a defensive posture, and nothing else.

MickintheHam
01-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Doc, I find your comments on your daughter and boarder very interesting. I am noticing more and more that millennials are embracing handguns for protection. Both of my kids, my daughter in law and daughter's boyfriend own weapons. I was out at a club a couple of weeks ago with some of my daughter's friends and a couple of older females. All of the women in the group (5), regardless of age, were concealed carry. Only one of the guys owned a weapon. This wasn't the case I don't believe 5 or 10 years ago.

suncat05
01-29-2016, 03:31 PM
My daughter carries hers with her wherever she goes. My wife does when I remind her. My son could care less, but he knows where to find the designated "family heater" if he was to need it.
With me, it's like American Express......I never leave home without it.

MickintheHam
01-29-2016, 04:02 PM
My daughter carries hers with her wherever she goes. My wife does when I remind her. My son could care less, but he knows where to find the designated "family heater" if he was to need it.
With me, it's like American Express......I never leave home without it.

I may be joining your ranks. On a side note our company is looking for a team building exercise. I noted that our local tactical firearms dealer has team building exercises for corporate clients. We just may try it out.

Doc
01-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Doc, I find your comments on your daughter and boarder very interesting. I am noticing more and more that millennials are embracing handguns for protection. Both of my kids, my daughter in law and daughter's boyfriend own weapons. I was out at a club a couple of weeks ago with some of my daughter's friends and a couple of older females. All of the women in the group (5), regardless of age, were concealed carry. Only one of the guys owned a weapon. This wasn't the case I don't believe 5 or 10 years ago.

Good Lord, I don't want to see Katie on the business end of a sawed of shotgun!

CitizenBBN
01-29-2016, 06:52 PM
The research I linked missed a big factor in the change in gun attitudes: women embracing guns for their own protection.

When I was growing up guns were still mostly men's things. I knew women who hunted and such, but guns were still mostly for guys. Not any more.

Also, most gun ownership then was for sporting use and hunting. That is now being overrun by ownership for self defense and home defense. . Women aren't joining in the hunting, but they do like shooting and they like being empowered with the ability to defend themselves even more.

Doc
01-29-2016, 08:33 PM

I love that Aerosmith song....Katies got a gun. Classic rock at its best!

Katie's got a gun
Katie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Now Obama is on the run

MickintheHam
01-29-2016, 09:56 PM

I should send you a pick of the 8 pointer she and her boyfriend brought home. He got the shot she found it. Deer is lucky boyfriend got the shot. Katie would have put about 6 holes in that buck!