PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 soon to be made in USA

dan_bgblue
01-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Florida landed the new manufacturing facility (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/28/russias-iconic-ak-47-to-be-made-in-usa.html?intcmp=hpbt2)

KeithKSR
01-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I find it funny that Obama finally succeeds in creating private sector jobs by trying to prevent people from owning legal firearms.

CitizenBBN
01-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Maybe the only example where trade restriction may actually work out OK. lol.

That company owns the rights, but not sure who they will bring in to make them. They're a marketing/import company, not a manufacturer. I think they were importing Saiga but not at all sure. That's the main Russian maker.

Most AKs come out of Romania and the other former eastern bloc, mostly Romania. Wonder if they'll go high end and make them out of milled stock instead of stamped. I can sell milled receiver Soviet stuff all day long, much more demand in the US for the improved quality of milling.

dan_bgblue
01-28-2016, 07:43 PM
CBBN, they would be wise to build quality and build their brand on that. There is a huge market for quality if it can be found, and there are plenty of lesser quality AKs available. Why enter that market?

CitizenBBN
01-28-2016, 08:24 PM
CBBN, they would be wise to build quality and build their brand on that. There is a huge market for quality if it can be found, and there are plenty of lesser quality AKs available. Why enter that market?

I agree. Wasr 10 will go in the 500 range. A milled ak can go 1500 and up. I can get all the stamped and import parted stuff you want, harder to find good milled pieces.

They are heavier, and personally I'm good w stamped, they work great and were designed that way, but there is more market opportunity in the high end.

suncat05
02-09-2016, 12:47 PM
I saw something on the Outdoors Channel last Friday, Century Arms I think it was, and how they're building American made AK's, and I think it's here in Florida too, where they're being manufactured.
AK'S are already very sturdy, reliable, very functional weapons. Of course, if there's a way to improve them and make them better, and money to be made doing it, I am all for it.
The only thing I don't like about an AK is that after about 250 yards or so the accuracy of fired rounds takes a noticeable nosedive. Some of that might be the cheap Commie bloc ammo, the fouling of the barrel because of the dirty ammo, and problems from less than adequate barrel maintenance. I would believe that if manufactured under strict American standards using American machining that the rifle couldn't help but be a better product. But that's just me thinking out loud again.........

KeithKSR
02-09-2016, 01:03 PM
I saw something on the Outdoors Channel last Friday, Century Arms I think it was, and how they're building American made AK's, and I think it's here in Florida too, where they're being manufactured.
AK'S are already very sturdy, reliable, very functional weapons. Of course, if there's a way to improve them and make them better, and money to be made doing it, I am all for it.
The only thing I don't like about an AK is that after about 250 yards or so the accuracy of fired rounds takes a noticeable nosedive. Some of that might be the cheap Commie bloc ammo, the fouling of the barrel because of the dirty ammo, and problems from less than adequate barrel maintenance. I would believe that if manufactured under strict American standards using American machining that the rifle couldn't help but be a better product. But that's just me thinking out loud again.........

The 7.62x39 round really isn't designed for long range accuracy. It's primarily a cost effective round to send a lot of lead down range as quickly as possible.

suncat05
02-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Most of my experience with them comes from my time handling AK's while I was in the Army, mostly at the NTC in California. They're okay, but after you've handled an M16A2 or an M4 carbine, you can definitely distinguish the difference in the quality of manufacturing. And that's not to say that I wouldn't pick one up and use it in lieu of the others, because I certainly would. Whatever works to help you live to fight another day. And who knows..........there may come a day, God forbid, that you'll be able to pick one up off the street, fired very little and only dropped once, so I am thankful for the learning & handling experience I was able to get from those training times at the NTC.