PDA

View Full Version : Lexington Mayor Gray running against Rand Paul for Senate seat

dan_bgblue
01-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Lexingtonians, how do you view his announcement?

CitizenBBN
01-26-2016, 06:53 PM
I don't think Gray has done a bad job, but he hasn't done a good job either, and I see nothing on his resume as mayor that makes me think he would be a good representative in the Senate. I assume he was tapped by the state party to get someone to run against Paul.

Lexington is sadly pretty liberal, so the gay thing wasn't an issue here but will be state wide, but more important IMO is the fact that he has no real policy or management he can stand on and say "I"m taking this to Washington to make things happen for you."

Paul has an ideology, and is completely committed to the libertarian cause, and is still really an outsider in some ways. Gray didn't do anything of note as mayor. didn't blow the place up either, but honestly Lexington is pretty self regulating, our tax base is large enough to pay our services without a big nightmare, and downtown has taken off in spite of the city's efforts as much as because of them.

We're the regional hub for this part of the state, You'd have to be pretty damned bad to drive off the health care and shopping and education that will naturally congregate here.

So what does he really bring? He's been largely a-political here as mayor. About the only thing policy wise they've done here that translates is raise the minimum wage for the city, which is a policy I find abhorrent.

I think given that the announcement was on the last day to file that the party was more involved in this than Gray just wanting to be a representative in DC. I could be wrong, but usually running against an incumbent isn't a move made by strong candidates, and even though Paul will wind up this Presidential thing soon his profile will only be the higher for it and I doubt he is very vulnerable.

the only thing Paul has done to upset Kentuckians is this caucus thing for the GOP, and that's only going to bother Republicans.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2016, 07:02 PM
I should add that on the "not done anything good" part I have to list the lack of a Rupp project against him, even though Capiluto is the man behind killing that deal. Those two are both responsible for some chilling in relations between the city and the university, which were very good in the past. Most of it is on Capiluto not Gray, but Gray hasn't adjusted or found new places to lead on issues.

And that's the crux of it, he hasn't lead us anywhere. The convention business thing has languished, we got the Breeder's cup but that was on Keeneland and I dont' see us building on it by encouraging the equine industry here or in the region or in Frankfort, we're just going along.

I'd love to see the mayor of the city in the heart of horse country pushing the state to support the industry and not tax it, b/c states like New York and Florida are coming hard for our business with all kinds of incentives.

So I'm not saying he did bad, but if you're running for Senate I want to see something different. Paul at least has a vision, not sure Gray has anything.

dan_bgblue
01-26-2016, 08:46 PM
I found this to be a very interesting and valuable point...........

And that's the crux of it, he hasn't lead us anywhere. The convention business thing has languished, we got the Breeder's cup but that was on Keeneland and I dont' see us building on it by encouraging the equine industry here or in the region or in Frankfort, we're just going along.

A good leader does not sit idle and let the community develop on it's own.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Dan I think that's esp. true in a city that frankly has that luxury. We aren't facing disasters on a regular basis or the kind of debacle we see in Detroit or Chicago. Things basically run pretty smooth, the coffers are generally in good shape, we have the luxury of the time that our city should be building and developing and promoting and moving forward b/c they aren't tied up all day putting out fires, and we really don't do those things.

The city could take the lead on equine issues. We are working on a convention thing but we haven't made anything happen there to date. We could work on bringing in tech jobs and such.

We do some of that, but nothing inspired, and most of what is making the city better is simply people investing in downtown despite the city, not b/c of anything they've done.

In fact the only big thing the city has done downtown during his tenure has been to let Dudley Webb put a big honkin' hole in the middle of it on the promise of a secret investor. They put some restrictions on it, that the city can basically force them to fill it in if they stop work, but that's still pretty iffy.

I'm not laying all of that on him, I'm just saying I can't really point to anything where he took the bull by the horns and made a big thing happen for the city.

dan_bgblue
01-26-2016, 09:21 PM
How big of a hand did he have in the traffic snarling cluster road construction project that involves new circle, and a feeder street extension running north and south?

I am not saying the work did not need to be done, but a lone contractor will soon have 70 miles of construction completed on 1-65 between BG and Etown in about the same amount of time it has taken the worst road construction crew in KY to complete the project in Lex.

IMO somebody's brother in law got the road contract in Lex.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2016, 09:59 PM
it's a good question Dan. the new circle road work may not be done till the next Presidential election.

There are other projects I can point to that don't impress. The way Newtown Pike's extension was handled has been silly. I won't go into details, but it's been silly. That isn't all on him, it's been a long and dumb process, but again I can't say he did anything to help it get better either.

CitizenBBN
01-27-2016, 10:51 AM
HEard today the idea that he should have run for Governor, and that makes more sense to me. it's much more about administration and he's been solid there and the experience as mayor can translate more.

Not saying Paul showed up with the credentials for the Senate per se, but he has an ideology and that's far more important on the legislative side. You're voting for the agenda they'll support, not how we'll they'll manage their office staff.

OTOH maybe I'll run for mayor with the space opening up. :)

suncat05
01-27-2016, 11:16 AM
The equine industry here in Florida is thriving. Governor Scott is very, very pro-business and pro-economic growth. Florida is ranked 2nd only to Texas in economic growth the last 5-6 years. And yes, the state of Florida has been active in courting the equine industry to come here. There are some beautiful horse ranches around the Ocala area.

Kentucky would probably be well served to stop electing Democrats to the Governor's mansion, but that's just my opinion, which means little because I don't live there anymore.

CitizenBBN
01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
What happens in every government, and even big companies, is they get spoiled by their golden geese and start putting more and more on them not thinking that the goose may stop laying.

States start putting on more and more taxes, people talk about "paying their fair share", and other states then sometimes get smart and start offering the discounts. that's how the South got into the auto business, where northern states and their unions made it tough to operate but states like KEntucky offered big tax incentives and willing workers to come here.

Same thing with horses. Kentucky needs to be offering tax breaks and incentives, but they aren't, and Florida and New York are offering breaks for studding and other things.

The county has worked to preserve the farms, but we need to fight to preserve the industry and make sure we stay the center of the equine universe. It's as clean an industry as you'll find, and while it can go up and down it's a good one for us and employs a decent number of people and adds a lot to the appeal of the region to attract other high end industry like tech and research.

I'd also like to see more bridge building with UK, though that can be a challenge.

PedroDaGr8
01-28-2016, 07:49 AM
It seems like everybody has the same view of Jim Gray: Ho-hum, nothing good about him but nothing bad either. I have never seen a politician be THAT capable of eliciting NO response.

As for building bridges with UK, how does Todd compare to the current head? Being long removed from the area it seems like the dialogue between city hall and UK has gotten MUCH worse.

KentuckyWildcat
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm a fan Rand Paul. I don't know Gray at all, but we need Paul in the Senate JMO.

MickintheHam
02-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Well if I am Rand Paul I take a picture of that big hole in the middle of downtown Lexington and put it in every email inbox in Kentucky, and every print and video ad I ever create. That failed project is testimony to a failed stewardship.

CitizenBBN
02-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Well if I am Rand Paul I take a picture of that big hole in the middle of downtown Lexington and put it in every email inbox in Kentucky, and every print and video ad I ever create. That failed project is testimony to a failed stewardship.

Can't argue. I told everyone at the city I knew to NEVER approve that demolition, that it was a huge boondoggle. They didn't listen.

The project made no sense, and didn't have the financial support. I told them all they were going to do is lose those buildings and businesses, and have a parking lot. It has ended up worse, b/c they dug a hole instead of just paving it over, so now we have a pit. The numbers never made sense, they had a "secret" supporter. Come on.

Jeff Ruby was ripping him on twitter. he'd supposedy signed to go in there, wants to be downtown. Now I blame him for being suckered by Dudley too, but the mayor needed to stop that plan and had the power to do it.

PedroDaGr8
02-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Can't argue. I told everyone at the city I knew to NEVER approve that demolition, that it was a huge boondoggle. They didn't listen.

The project made no sense, and didn't have the financial support. I told them all they were going to do is lose those buildings and businesses, and have a parking lot. It has ended up worse, b/c they dug a hole instead of just paving it over, so now we have a pit. The numbers never made sense, they had a "secret" supporter. Come on.

Jeff Ruby was ripping him on twitter. he'd supposedy signed to go in there, wants to be downtown. Now I blame him for being suckered by Dudley too, but the mayor needed to stop that plan and had the power to do it.

The annoying thing was, that was getting to be a happening part of town too, with the music bar and what not. With short now developed it would have really helped expand the reach of what is developed for nightlight in downtown.

I had heard some rumors that part of the reason for the lack of opposition was the objections of some of the more influential teetotalers in town to the bars that were in the old building. They wanted to see those gone. But that might have also just been the rumblings of people angry and guessing.

CitizenBBN
02-03-2016, 09:27 PM
The annoying thing was, that was getting to be a happening part of town too, with the music bar and what not. With short now developed it would have really helped expand the reach of what is developed for nightlight in downtown.

I had heard some rumors that part of the reason for the lack of opposition was the objections of some of the more influential teetotalers in town to the bars that were in the old building. They wanted to see those gone. But that might have also just been the rumblings of people angry and guessing.

Downtown is still doing great, but no doubt it has had an impact if for no other reason than we lost six or so places. Mia's, Buster's, Triple Crown. it's added to Short street becoming the epicenter of things, and fortunately downtown is only getting better, but it's absurd to have such a pretty face with this boil on the side of it.

As for the anti-bar folks that's possible, but it had no impact on the overall bar success in downtown. It did wipe out a few places that really needed the lower rents of those buildings to make it. Also the loss of parking of course.

Besides, Dudley has bought back Victorian Square and changed the rules to finally allow night spots in it other than Desha's (who is gone), and now there are a half dozen new places there, so it's not like he wasn't going to rent Centerpointe to bars and restaurants.

No, I think it was the same story as always in this city. People in charge who don't have the common sense to learn that the renderings have nothing to do with what finally may get built once you approve the zone change. it's a bait and switch that I have seen play out dozens upon dozens of times here. This time they did try to put a penalty in there if construction didn't happen as promised, but it wasn't done well enough to really solve the problem.

They need to bond out the deal so if X conditions aren't met the bond company pays up. Avoids a lot of those issues. Also just don't approve the change if they can't publicly show they have the financing.

Literally these guys came to the city and said they had a big pocket investor from out of state but they couldn't tell us who it is or provide any proof they had secured the money to build this massive project. They should have been laughed out of the room.

Not to mention the absurd "feasibility" study they presented, where every space in the place from retail to hotel rooms were going to be "super premium", and for some reason when every other building in downtown can't get more than $14-$16/sf for office space max yet for some reason this place was going to be 90% rented at $30 a foot. Hotel rooms in Lexington for $500 a night. Just stupid, flat stupid.

Even if they get it built it's doomed to flop, which is why they have had designs done at least 3 times now, all with different attempts to make it make sense and none of them with adequate parking even with the pit they are digging. The numbers don't work for what they want to put there. Something modest and within the scope of Lexington's needs would work, but so far that doesn't seem to be their plan.

MickintheHam
02-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Making deals like that, one can only wonder what great deals he could make from a platform in the Senate. Lexington has survived in spite of Gray.

I don't agree with all of your comments on Capilouto and Gray. I believe Cap figured out that Gray was a man he never wanted as a business partner (probably Dudley, too). When it comes to business acumen, Cap has it all over Gray.

CitizenBBN
02-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Making deals like that, one can only wonder what great deals he could make from a platform in the Senate. Lexington has survived in spite of Gray.

I don't agree with all of your comments on Capilouto and Gray. I believe Cap figured out that Gray was a man he never wanted as a business partner (probably Dudley, too). When it comes to business acumen, Cap has it all over Gray.

I don't doubt Cap's business acumen per se, but I will stand by the notion that he has made a mistake by making the city a rival instead of a friend.

It took years to build a positive relationship between UK and the city. pam Miller worked hard on it, and made a lot of progress, and others built on it. Capiluto came in and started burning those bridges publicly the first day he was on campus. Gray has issues but he was in favor of a partnership arrangement and working together, and Cap undid a lot of the good that had been built.

UK and the city had worked on plans for the MLK corridor down to Main/Vine, and had done some good things, the goal being to tie campus and downtown in more meaningful ways. Cap dismissed the very idea of doing it, and has ended that as a goal.

he killed any support for the Rupp project out of hand. I have no problem with him wanting other priorities, but as the biggest employer and entity in the city he should take an active role in how downtown does and the convention and tourism business, as that is a key positive for UK's recruiting and retaining students and staff. He's blown all of that off, never really tried to even reach out and find commonality with the Rupp/Convention issue even if he wasn't going to support a new arena.

Rather than working on integrating, he's looked very inward. The new student center will run $250 million, and as much as I support the idea, it will be a flop. He's not going to make that facility a center of student life when they can go downtown to any number of bars or over to Tin Roof or Country Boy, etc.

But it underlies his inward view. I think he rightly sees UK as not having a campus identity and is trying to build one, but I think it could be done while still looking to make UK part of the city in an interactive way.

The point isn't the job he's doing either, obviously the med center is the centerpiece of UK's current vision and that's going great, but his choices do mean that he's splitting UK away from the city as partners by not trying to work his plans into an overall plan.

That IMO is a mistake b/c how this city appeals to younger folks and people wanting a more metropolitan city is critical to UK's ability to attract the best people.

That improvement in the city is happening, but it's happening in SPITE of the city's plans and UK's actions, not b/c of them. As the two biggest entities in the city they should be actively supporting that evolution, not standing by watching, but that's what they are both doing.

Where Capiluto would be wise to make those issues part of his plans, Gray is positively required to do so, so I do hold him much more accountable of course.