PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watched Netflix's "Making a Murderer"?

Doc
01-25-2016, 02:21 PM
and if so, what did you think?

Darrell KSR
01-26-2016, 02:03 PM
My kids (oldest daughter and middle daughter, specifically) love the show. They want me to watch it, and I probably will at some point. My oldest daughter has several lawyer friends and says they like the show, too.

I assume you've seen it? Like it or don't?

Doc
01-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Yes, I just finished watching it yesterday. Binge watched it in 3 days. Was wondering what you lawyer types thought. Personally, without giving giving away the verdicts..... IMO he did it but the kid wasn't involved. I do believe the police railroaded the nephew. Now rather or not that is how the jury found it or should have found it, I won't be a spoiler. And of course the film makers had an agenda so the presentation has a point of view that might have a bias to get the viewer to see things with an obvious spin. But looking back, yes, I liked it but found it rather disturbing as to how it represents our justice system. And yes I do believe it does represent our system or at least parts of our justice system quite well which is a win at all costs, above and beyond doing what is right and doing things the right way.

StuBleedsBlue2
01-26-2016, 03:31 PM
I've seen it and I have a whole lot of thoughts about it. My wife and her family are all lawyer types and my reaction was spot on with theirs.

It isn't a story about whether or not he did it(which I don't have a clear opinion on that either), but it's a story of how broken our justice system is. I think the end result of this is going to be a much needed reexamination of the entire system. What happened in that case is a complete travesty.

I've read a lot about what's happened since the end of the documentary. I've heard everything that the prosecutor has said. I've heard everything that the non-American, Nancy "Everyone is guilty and you must prove your innocence" Grace and it does nothing take away from the injustice that was served. What's so scary about the whole story is that it can happen to anyone. Personally, I think that what those two buffoons(or in Krantz's case, the sexual predator), talk about what the documentarians left out(which is all circumstantual, anyway) is irrelevant.

I'm particularly fascinated by recent interviews from Avery's defense lawyers who are amazed at the web sleuths that have taken to the case, and of particular interest to me was the photo of the victim in a period close the crime date that contains a picture of her keys that looks nothing like the key "found" in Avery's room.

While I can't say whether Avery committed the crime at all(if I had to pick, I'm leaning towards the belief of his new lawyers that are based out of Downers Grove, IL that the people that erased the messages are the ones that know what happened), I'm totally convinced that the police planted evidence, but how much? It makes more sense to me that it could be all of it, more than it does that he killed her as the case was laid out, which is 100% impossible.

I haven't found a person, at all, through the differing opinions of Avery who thinks that the kid should have spent a day in jail.

If people that have watched it want to hear an amazing discussion, check out Matt Jones podcast, where he interviews Steve Romines. It's really top notch, and Romines discusses cases that he's been involved with in Kentucky and Indiana where several of the problems of those cases exist, basically validating that it can happen to anybody.

Doc
01-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Now when I say he did it I'm not saying that is how I would have voted had I sat on the jury. That's my opinion but I'm not convinced based on the evidence or the validity of the evidence. I have a huge issue with the contrasting stories in the cases which was not a major factor in the documentary where she was butchered in the trailer and in the garage yet no blood anywhere. Sorry but in one trial it's the garage and the other it's the trailer? And the kid had no idea until the story was fed to him, that was obvious

Padukacat
01-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Im embarrased to say i watched 9 of 10 episodes...today. I say both were innocent.