PDA

View Full Version : This is why you dont buy electronics at Walmart

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 10:10 AM
This video taken at the Pikeville Walmart has gone viral, 500K views on Youtube when I linked this after being first posted on the 8th...Walmart has issued a statement of embarrassment and everyone on tape has been fired...enjoy...has strong language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_DLJK4o2YM

Darrell KSR
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I get it, but why would Walmart be any different than Best Buy, Target, or any other place employing people in their warehouse at near minimum-wage, entry level positions?

I'd say Walmart would be the BEST place to buy it from now on, given this video. Might be the only store that takes an active interest in how the merchandise is handled.

Signed,
A former warehouse employee at a similar type store (I did that when I was out of high school and for 2 years in college. Ask me sometime about the "bicycle assembly" professionals we employed.)

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I get it, but why would Walmart be any different than Best Buy, Target, or any other place employing people in their warehouse at near minimum-wage, entry level positions?

I'd say Walmart would be the BEST place to buy it from now on, given this video. Might be the only store that takes an active interest in how the merchandise is handled.

Signed,
A former warehouse employee at a similar type store (I did that when I was out of high school and for 2 years in college. Ask me sometime about the "bicycle assembly" professionals we employed.)

Youre exactly right, but I think...would hope, most people have morals and are at least aware their are cameras watching you to make sure you dont do THIS...this actually proved that's not the case and the security team at Walmart needs to be reprimanded also. And actually, Walmart is a BAD place to buy...well...anything. Ive heard stories from different people about Walmart using cheaper computer parts and throwing the name brand logo on their, to the naked eye, you'll see the exact same computer as you would anywhere else, but inside the parts are actually different than the identical computers elsewhere. Also heard the same thing about the tires there, they'll make a cheaper tire and throw the Michelin or Goodyear logo on their and claim it as the same thing. It's a very shady company to say the least, and what's worse it, they pay to use the logo so it's technically legal.

And oh I know about the warehouses...I used to work at a medical warehouse and I used to take damaged products to the supervisor and he would tell me "Oh it's not THAT bad, just let it go and if the customer complains we'll blame it on the UPS hub cause you know they dont handle anything good at all" SMH No one cares anymore and its a shame

Doc
11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
IMO the video says more about the workers of today than it does about Walmart. I doubt Walmart policy is to throw electronics or smash them on the ground. I tend to look at is more as the disrespectful nature of much (not all) of this younger generation and how they treat things.

CitizenBBN
11-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Yep Doc. No doubt they'll complain about why they were on camera and not even blame themselves for being fired.

That's just vandalism, no different than a Wal Mart employee throwing a brick through the window. I despise vandalism more than robbery. At least robbery makes logical sense, vandalism is just mean and hateful without purpose. I strongly support the approach in Singapore to publicly cane people for such behavior.

dan_bgblue
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Well, what about those bicycle assemblers?

Darrell KSR
11-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I was one of them, Dan.

Picture me, with a make-shift box of tools, screw-extractors, and 18-years old. And putting together bikes that kids and adults rode, sometimes fast, sometimes off-road.

Do I need to find my upgrading my Palm Pilot PDA memory story and repost it to get the right flavor here? :)

dan_bgblue
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. Your answer was worse than expected.:sign0141:

suncat05
11-11-2012, 07:45 AM
IMO the video says more about the workers of today than it does about Walmart. I doubt Walmart policy is to throw electronics or smash them on the ground. I tend to look at is more as the disrespectful nature of much (not all) of this younger generation and how they treat things.

I concur with Doc's assessment.
One other thing did come to mind though, and it had nothing to do with Wal-Mart employees. As I was watching the employees 'drop' those boxes, I suddenly envisioned them wearing Kentucky football uniforms.............. :sign0068:

Darrell KSR
11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Suncat, brother, you made me spit all over my computer screen. I'd say you owe me a computer screen, but you'd probably get it from Walmart, so it wouldn't do me any good. :)

suncat05
11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
:sHa_dielaughing:

bigsky
11-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Why you buy a bike at a bike shop, absolutely.

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I concur with Doc's assessment.
One other thing did come to mind though, and it had nothing to do with Wal-Mart employees. As I was watching the employees 'drop' those boxes, I suddenly envisioned them wearing Kentucky football uniforms.............. :sign0068:

:fam24:

Doc
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Quite ironic that this thread is right under (over now) the other Walmart thread about striking due to working conditions. After watching the video, I guess I can understand. Must be deplorable having to work with all those broken electronic parts on the floor, plus the workers were not wearing safety glasses. The shards of broken plastic flying thru the air are clearly safety hazards

ColonelSteve
11-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Quite ironic that this thread is right under (over now) the other Walmart thread about striking due to working conditions. After watching the video, I guess I can understand. Must be deplorable having to work with all those broken electronic parts on the floor, plus the workers were not wearing safety glasses. The shards of broken plastic flying thru the air are clearly safety hazards

Did it ever occur to you that maybe because of the way these workers are treated is why they took this IDGAF attitude and this was their revenge to how they were being treated. Sure they could be Grade A A-holes but at the same time every employee Ive seen lately at Walmart has been completely rude and totally unhappy, when you do some research into the situation, it's easy to understand why

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Did it ever occur to you that maybe because of the way these workers are treated is why they took this IDGAF attitude and this was their revenge to how they were being treated. Sure they could be Grade A A-holes but at the same time every employee Ive seen lately at Walmart has been completely rude and totally unhappy, when you do some research into the situation, it's easy to understand why

Were they forced to take that job? Did the sheriff come and drag them to work? They voluntarily agreed to a contract to provide labor for money. You do an honest day's work and you get an honest day's pay. No one is giving anyone anything.

The proper response to not liking your job is quitting. Your proper response to being subject to illegal employer activity is to file a complaint with the state or any number of groups thrilled to get and process them.

The answer is NOT to commit a series of crimes. This is no different from not liking a job so you throw a brick through the window or vandalize your boss's car or you knock over the corner gas station b/c you think life has treated you unfair.

This is nothing but destruction of private property, 1,000s of dollars worth of vandalism. One's recourse for not liking a job is to quit the job or take legal action if appropriate, not to commit a crime against your employer.

As for their frustration, I know a lot of people who would be very happy to trade places with them. See how frustrated you are when you can't find a job or lose your home.

These are just spoiled punks who think life owes them something without them having to put anything in to it. Not only do I have no sympathy, I have nothing but contempt.

ladycat92
11-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I worked at Wal-Mart back in the 90s and let's just say these practices are not new and are well known within the business.

Doc
11-11-2012, 10:18 PM

you don't like your job then Q-U-I-T. Work for me and be rude then you won't have to quit because you will be fired. Don't show up for work (aka-strike) and you won't have to quit because you will be fired. Nobody is holding a gun to their head. I really doubt Walmart is going so suddenly decide to put in an employee only coffee bar, give 2 hour lunches and provide every employee with a week long vacation, all expenses paid, to Hawaii.

Personally I can't stand wal-mart. I'd rather see my urologist than shop at wal-mart but they are a business who makes money. That is what businesses do. They employee thousands of people and do so by paying them as little as possible to maximize profits. That is what businesses do. They also follow the labor laws of the land because if they didn't they would have their asses sued.

Doc
11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I worked at Wal-Mart back in the 90s and let's just say these practices are not new and are well known within the business.

Are you still working for them or did you move on (rhetorical question). Did they do anything illegal like not pay you overtime, or not pay you for working? If they did you should sue them because odds are you would get a lot more than just lost pay.

When I was in HS I worked for Bob Evan's. Got minimum wage and after 6 months I got a nickel raise. I had to buy my own uniform except the string tie. They forced me to have my hair cut to their length which was basically a flat top. I had to scrape uneaten food off peoples plates. I had to work with really hot water and every night at closing I had to clean out the little stainless silver box in the ladies rest room. They didn't give me any benefits, no free food, no paid vacation, no health insurance, no retirement plan. All I ever got long term from them is the inability to ever smell sausage gravy without getting sick to my stomach. But I went in and worked because I needed the money. And then one day I quit because I went off to college here I bettered my skill set so I could get a better job, so that I didn't need to continue working at Bob Evans. That is what we did back in the olden days. Now days its they don't pay me enough, they don't give me enough so I'm going on strike. And when they fire my ass I'll complain.

And here we have a video of employee's destroying merchandise. Good thing they recorded themselves hence winning the (name slips me but the UK recruit from Wisconsin that filmed himself selling dope, ended up at some school in LA) award as biggest dope to film themselves while committing a crime. Otherwise the merchandise would have been sold and then returned costing Walmart money. But then that isn't an issue because Wal mart is rich. Taking from them is OK.

CitizenBBN
11-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Doc -- Southall.

Some jobs are crappier than others. Kinda how things work. Anyone who thinks Walmart work sucks is welcome to have taken my place stripping tobacco all day. I also cleaned down the milking parlor regularly. Of course you can't get anyone to do that now but immigrants and your relatives, it's not good enough for most people.

Doc i'd far rather clean out the cow stalls than your job at Bob Evans. cow manure isn't all that bad, and it's not something that is tied to your clean life. Cleaning other people's food all day is a whole different set of associations. I'd rather clean up after animals than a lot of people 10 to 1.

jazyd
11-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Guys try cleaning out a spittoon that the captain of the towboat did more than spit in, had to clean and polish it daily for the whole summer. One day one of the other college guys got ticked, threw it overboard. Someone saw it floating down the river, we stopped the town, put the johnboat over the side, went and got it and Scott still had to clean the dumb thing. But like it has been said, I needed the money.

And Walmart does not put fake logos on tires and call the Michelins, they would get their butts sued big time if they did those things. Lots of rumers, seems the Colonel buys into all of them. Their employees are not overworked, that is for sure. Yea the stock people do hard work but they have a nice flat that rolls easily, a good knife to cut open the boxes, and they have to stock those ole shelves. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it, so tell me why they should get paid a bigger amount for dloing those things?
And stock options are available for mgt people, they make a killing off of them for their retirement. I didn't know hourly workers should be given stock options, I guess they could buy one every other week.

Doc
11-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Doc -- Southall.

Some jobs are crappier than others. Kinda how things work. Anyone who thinks Walmart work sucks is welcome to have taken my place stripping tobacco all day. I also cleaned down the milking parlor regularly. Of course you can't get anyone to do that now but immigrants and your relatives, it's not good enough for most people.

Doc i'd far rather clean out the cow stalls than your job at Bob Evans. cow manure isn't all that bad, and it's not something that is tied to your clean life. Cleaning other people's food all day is a whole different set of associations. I'd rather clean up after animals than a lot of people 10 to 1.

Could not think of the name so thanks.

I too have cleaned the milk parlor. Actually worked it milking as well. Had to do that in vet school when on Dairy Rotation. Most disgusting job I ever had was at a chicken farm. Imagine 100 foot long pits of chicken crap that had to be cleaned on a weekly basis.

jazyd
11-12-2012, 07:56 AM
doc, I turn my nose every time I hear about someone I know here that has worked on chicken farms and have had to shovel the crap up, every day. They said the smell is horrendous

Could not think of the name so thanks.

I too have cleaned the milk parlor. Actually worked it milking as well. Had to do that in vet school when on Dairy Rotation. Most disgusting job I ever had was at a chicken farm. Imagine 100 foot long pits of chicken crap that had to be cleaned on a weekly basis.

Catfan73
11-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Quick Wal-Mart story: My wife gets a check, apparently from G.E. Capital for $10, but it looks like it's from Wal-Mart. She lets it lay around for a couple of months and finally on the day it was due to expire she goes to the nearest Wally World to buy a couple of things she needed, thinking they would just use it like a coupon I guess. At the checkout line, the cashier tells her she has to go to the check cashing desk. At the check cashing desk, she said the clerk started to cash it then stopped and gets ahold of a manager and comes back and tells her they can't cash it because it's over 30 days old and that she would have to go to a bank to cash it. It was a SUNDAY.

And they wonder why everyone shops online with Amazon. :Christz_pillepalle:

CitizenBBN
11-12-2012, 10:47 AM
The irony of Walmart is they've built a multi billion dollar empire by competing on price, people flocking through their doors b/c things are cheaper there, then people complain that Walmart does things to KEEP THE PRICE DOWN.

Yeah they do everything the can to pay as little as possible. Yeah they are tough negotiators with vendors, have bare minimum customer service. That's b/c everyone goes there b/c the stuff on the shelves is cheaper and they're willing to live with those tradeoffs.

Walmart is doing just what the free market is supposed to do: drive producer surplus to consumer surplus, benefiting the consumer over the producer through producer competition. Some want to have their cake and eat it too: the low prices and everyone who works there making great livings. Doesn't work that way.

Same as with airlines. People complain about the lack of service, the small seats, the delays, lost luggage, and then they go buy the cheapest ticket possible. Gee, I wonder why the airlines don't worry much about service and comfort....

MickintheHam
11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I would like to think working these type jobs growing up made us the people we are today. Every summer I had to have a job, just to get through the next two semesters. I went on an austerity program for the second. But, I was fortunate enough to take away something good from each job as I was always thankful for the opportunity given to me. Not everyone then or today is so lucky. I didn't like cleaning the air ducts filled with menthol at Brown and Williamson, I didn't like poaching slurry to make ammunition and I sure as hell didn't like cleaning the fryers at LJS. But, I don't ever recall not doing the tasks I was given to the best of my ability. That is how I was reared. I hope as a result of the work, I developed some good habits. I certainly don't ever forget any of those experiences and I have a lot of respect for people who do those jobs every day. And when I come into face to face contact with them, I always thank them even if they put forward only a half-hearted effort. I know it can be easy to get discouraged.

you don't like your job then Q-U-I-T. Work for me and be rude then you won't have to quit because you will be fired. Don't show up for work (aka-strike) and you won't have to quit because you will be fired. Nobody is holding a gun to their head. I really doubt Walmart is going so suddenly decide to put in an employee only coffee bar, give 2 hour lunches and provide every employee with a week long vacation, all expenses paid, to Hawaii.

Personally I can't stand wal-mart. I'd rather see my urologist than shop at wal-mart but they are a business who makes money. That is what businesses do. They employee thousands of people and do so by paying them as little as possible to maximize profits. That is what businesses do. They also follow the labor laws of the land because if they didn't they would have their asses sued.