PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 08:07 AM
It is a new year, and might as well start a brand new thread for renewed commitment to some health goals. Plus I had a pretty good weekend, so I at least have some positive things to post for myself, if I am being totally honest.

I started the new year being a slug and very inactive. But Saturday I played 9 holes of golf, and walked, which included helping my daughter as well. Even though it was only 9 holes, I ended up walking over 6 miles including some minor extra walking during the day. Most of it was playing golf, however.

Yesterday I played basketball for 2 hours, full court, and pick up another five miles. I wear my Fitbit when I play on the inside of my shorts and it works fine. Last night before my gym closed, my son asked me to take him there, so I ran another mile and a half on top of that.

Now, that doesn't make up for the less than 3000 step days I had most of the days leading up to that, but I thought I would lead with some positive information. That began the year at 233, and would like to finish 2016 no heavier than 200. A couple of years ago I got down to under 200 briefly, and then almost immediately started gradually gaining it back.

My key to the weight loss is both exercise and diet, neither of which I have been committed to as I should. It is very easy for me to exercise if I am playing a game, so my challenge will either be to finding a game to do regularly, or finding a way around that in order to get the necessary steps, walking, and basic exercise in.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Full disclosure, to show you how sedentary I am, unless I try.

1/1 - 950 steps (I didn't wear it the whole day, but I didn't go anywhere, and didn't do much anyway. Bad example, maybe, but well under 3,000 steps, probably closer to 1500-1800).

1/2 - 1943 steps. See?

Saturday 1/3 - 5,665

Sunday 1/4 - 4,405

1/5 - 5,832

1/6 -3,056

1/7 - 3,282

1/8 - 2,240

Had 26,000 steps Saturday & Sunday. That's more than I had combined the first 8 days. That's bad.

bigsky
01-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Well, it's "work out or die" for me. Mon-Wed-Fri I walk/jog a 5k in about 40-45 minutes. and do another 40 minutes of weights aerobically. The other days are my challenge. I havent lost an ounce since the heart attack.

Fitbit is screaming about my sleep so I'm gonna do a sleep study.

blueboss
01-11-2016, 04:43 PM
I'll have to check my weekly FitBit update, but I think I'm averaging about 7000-8000 steps/day without exercise.

I got down to 214 last spring and have gained 10 lbs back since May.

I'm currently around 235, and have been procrastinating starting up my exercise regiment.

I'd like to drop 20-25 LB's by May, and then try to keep it off through next fall at least until the start of eating season at the end of October.

Once I start exercising I'll average over 10k steps/day, then about mid February I'll start dieting(lent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Well, it's "work out or die" for me. Mon-Wed-Fri I walk/jog a 5k in about 40-45 minutes. and do another 40 minutes of weights aerobically. The other days are my challenge. I havent lost an ounce since the heart attack.

Fitbit is screaming about my sleep so I'm gonna do a sleep study.
Hey, you can be our leader. Certainly want you to comply with everything the doctor say.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 04:52 PM
I'll have to check my weekly FitBit update, but I think I'm averaging about 7000-8000 steps/day without exercise.

I got down to 214 last spring and have gained 10 lbs back since May.

I'm currently around 235, and have been procrastinating starting up my exercise regiment.

I'd like to drop 20-25 LB's by May, and then try to keep it off through next fall at least until the start of eating season at the end of October.

Once I start exercising I'll average over 10k steps/day, then about mid February I'll start dieting(lent)

You and I can be good role models for each other. I'm trying to track down some old fogies like me who may want to play basketball in the mornings for an hour or so. I would gladly get up early to do that.

blueboss
01-11-2016, 06:27 PM
You and I can be good role models for each other. I'm trying to track down some old fogies like me who may want to play basketball in the mornings for an hour or so. I would gladly get up early to do that.

I thought about morning exercise but I have yet to find the early discipline to get up an hour earlier.

I'll eventually build up to :40 five days a week on an elliptical/ Gazelle. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get in shape to go that long so I don't give myself a heart attack.

Anyway I just checked my FitBit and I'm at 9202 steps on the day, and I'm getting ready to settle in for some football.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 06:38 PM
I haven't even checked, but despite this being one of my more "active" days at work--i.e., went to the office, to school to teach, to school to teach again--I suspect I'm around 4,000 steps, maximum. I just get little-to-no steps in unless I "do" something.

I'm not a fan of getting up at 5 a.m. when my normal work day begins about 8:30, but I am a fan of playing basketball and finding some exercise. The only basketball I know of that occurs at lunchtime is the downtown YMCA, where I used to play, but that's horribly inconvenient to where I work now (and I am no longer a member). But if I could find that opportunity, I'd rather do that. I can generally take a 2-hour lunch most days, and would if that were a possibility.
I thought about morning exercise but I have yet to find the early discipline to get up an hour earlier.

I'll eventually build up to :40 five days a week on an elliptical/ Gazelle. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get in shape to go that long so I don't give myself a heart attack.

Anyway I just checked my FitBit and I'm at 9202 steps on the day, and I'm getting ready to settle in for some football.

KentuckyWildcat
01-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I get plenty of steps at work. 5,000 on a bad day, normally 8000-10000. I need to get better at doing more than that and weigh under 180.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm currently at 3,450. And that's a more than normal day. Too cold for me to do garage treadmill work after the game, and don't want to go to the gym tonight. I will use this as an off day. May walk around the house a little before bed.

blueboss
01-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Just shy of 8k today, I had a lot of screen time today so I didn't move as much today. Might be more of the same, be got two reports to knock out.

blueboss
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Just shy of 8k today, I had a lot of screen time today so I didn't move as much.Might be more of the same tomorrow I've got two reports to knock out.

Darrell KSR
01-13-2016, 07:39 AM
3634 and 3413 the last two days.

The lack of activity adds up.

Darrell KSR
01-13-2016, 08:37 AM
13-day weigh in, and the good news is, have dropped from 233.0 to 231.0. Almost all from eating a lot better, because exercise has been non-existent. Heck, could just be the difference in not eating salty food last night. But at least it didn't go up.

blueboss
01-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Still 235, I haven't changed anything yet. Still no exercise, and still no dieting. Right at 8k steps again today.

Darrell KSR
01-13-2016, 11:36 PM
I should've gone to exercise this morning. Had a couple of things to do, then at 2 pm had something that tied me up til 11 p.m. tonight.

So....I'm sitting at 2,913 steps today.

This is my life without an exercise agenda. Oh--and I'm eating taquitos and drinking an adult beverage. So much for diet, too.

Padukacat
01-15-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm down about 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks, just eating low carb trying to lose some belly fat for this trip im going on tomorrow. I plan on gaining it back in about the first 30 minutes. I snuck below 190 for the first time in a long while, my ideal weight is 180 if im exercising and eating well but I haven't been there in years. I'm gonna go gain some back this week but figured I could use this thread as a good way to track it. So I just weighed, im 190 today, i'd like to get it to 180 by may 1st.

KentuckyWildcat
01-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Worked out 2 nights in a row!!!

Darrell KSR
01-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Worked out 2 nights in a row!!!
Way to go!

I worked out this afternoon. One in a row. Also one this week. But gotta start somewhere.

Darrell KSR
01-15-2016, 10:50 PM
I'm down about 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks, just eating low carb trying to lose some belly fat for this trip im going on tomorrow. I plan on gaining it back in about the first 30 minutes. I snuck below 190 for the first time in a long while, my ideal weight is 180 if im exercising and eating well but I haven't been there in years. I'm gonna go gain some back this week but figured I could use this thread as a good way to track it. So I just weighed, im 190 today, i'd like to get it to 180 by may 1st.
10 pounds? Man, I use 10 pound increments as small stepping stones to what I want to lose :).

CGWildcat
01-15-2016, 11:54 PM
Why dont we all connect Fitbit's?? I took a walk today, ending the day with 8500 steps. This was my view of our current Northern California winter :party0035:....5257

Darrell KSR
01-16-2016, 08:49 AM
At one time, we had a KSR member Fitbit group. Let's see if we can resurrect it, great idea.

What a great picture, and terrific view!

Why dont we all connect Fitbit's?? I took a walk today, ending the day with 8500 steps. This was my view of our current Northern California winter :party0035:....5257

Darrell KSR
01-16-2016, 08:51 AM
My workout yesterday consisted of running on a treadmill (old man running--slow jog for 2 minutes, brisk walk for 1) for 45 minutes. Got 3.5 miles in. Despite getting 3.5 miles in at the gym, my fitbit steps were still under 10,000 for the day (9411). I can be super-sedentary in my work.

Darrell KSR
01-16-2016, 09:00 AM

I just checked, and there is a "Kentucky Fans (and Kentucky Sports Report Peeps)" Fitbit Group. It actually has 44 members in it.

Come join! There's one psycho dude that must run every day many miles or something, but there are a lot of "normal" people, too.

The sad thing is--I apparently started that 79 weeks ago, and there is an "introduce yourself" bio part where I did it. At that time, I weighed 216.2 pounds. Dang...gotta get back.

Here's the group link:

Kentucky Sports fans and Kentucky Sports Report Peeps Fitbit Group (https://www.fitbit.com/group/22N6JT)

Darrell KSR
01-16-2016, 09:17 AM
If you guys want a WildcatChat member only group, we could start that one and be a little cozier. I think we opened the other one up for folks on twitter, so it got a little more variety.

bigsky
01-16-2016, 09:45 AM
I'm in

Darrell KSR
01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Let's start a WildcatChat one. I'll get it started later today and post the link.

CGWildcat
01-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Let's start a WildcatChat one. I'll get it started later today and post the link.

sounds good!

blueboss
01-16-2016, 08:20 PM
I had quite a bit going on yesterday, I was down on the floor moving around a lot. Ended up with just over 11,000 steps.

Today I haven't done anything but throw stuff at my TV ( I'm sure you can guess why), anyway I won't break 5k today.

I'm going to try to start getting back in cardio shape tomorrow....3 minutes on the gazelle for three days then dbl it for three days...

KentuckyWildcat
01-17-2016, 12:47 PM
No Fitbit here and honestly no desire to have another device. But I'll keep checking in on this thread. Hope to work out again tonight.

I do get points at work if I wear a Fitbit. I just don't want to wear it or keep up with it. I use my phone as idea of my total steps.

KentuckyWildcat
01-18-2016, 10:34 PM
I was doing well working out then I pulled a back muscle. I was doing dead lifts but the bad part is that I was just warming up.

So I'm down a few days but I'm feeling better already. Maybe I can get in some cardio later this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

blueboss
01-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Okie dokie...I got my weekly FitBit update, last week

Dailey average

Best Day

My problem is weekends where I only average about 4000/day.

I also only climbed 7 flights of steps last week which will change when I start exercising because the equipment is in the basement. Lol. That means my stair count should go up by 5-6 sets/week.

My sleep is pretty poor, I'm only averaging 5 hours/day. Of course that doesn't count the hour or so I usually get in the lazy boy before I get up and go to bed.

blueboss
01-20-2016, 10:31 AM
I've got extra snow shovels for those serious about losing weight...stop by and I'll get you started.

bigsky
01-20-2016, 12:39 PM
I've got extra snow shovels for those serious about losing weight...stop by and I'll get you started. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Gets me no > 20 minutes of "fat burn" But I count it if I shovel more than 10 minutes

bigsky
01-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Five days of 10k steps last week. 3 workouts including 5Ks. 5 Business lunches= zero weight loss.

blueboss
01-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Gets me no > 20 minutes of "fat burn" But I count it if I shovel more than 10 minutes

I ended up shoveling 40 minutes on three days last week. It's helped to get me back in cardio shape so I can go 20-40 minutes on the machine.

Darrell KSR
01-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Five days of 10k steps last week. 3 workouts including 5Ks. 5 Business lunches= zero weight loss.
I had one day of more than 8,000. Every other day was under 5,000. Maybe my worst non-sick week ever.

Darrell KSR
01-24-2016, 06:47 PM
OK--so I just spent some time calculating, figuring, etc. I just wanted some rough estimate of what I was doing last year, what I need to do, etc.

Here's what I found out.

First, I weigh 230 pounds. That's rough; I've been a tad over it, and a tad under it recently, but close enough. I calculated a 3.0 mph walk/per mile as 122 calories burned. I figure it's really slightly more than that, because I have enough exercise at 5.2 mph and 3.6 mph (my "run" and "walk," respectively, when I exercise) that it's a little more than that. So I work with the general idea that 125 calories per mile is what is burned.

So then I took 3500 calories/pound, and that gives me 28 miles per pound exactly (that's another reason I rounded off. Again, i don't really care if it's inexact, this is just to get a rough idea).

I used 2,000 steps per mile as my standard. When I exercise, it's less than that; on "every day" use, it's more than that. Again, using round numbers good enough. So every 56,000 steps more than whatever number of steps keep me at my weight, based on my metabolic rate, will lose a pound for me.

I took last year's average, which was slightly over 6,000 steps per day for the entire year, and my weight gain of 5.6 pounds, and determined that, roughly, I needed to burn 53 calories more per day to maintain. So 6,000 steps per day is not enough (given my poor eating habits) to maintain weight; I will instead gain about 1/2 pound a month doing it. Now, if I watch what I eat a little better, it's fine, but I'm trying to focus on exercise first.

So 53 calories per day is about 850 steps per day. Adding to my average from last year tells me that roughly 7,000 steps per day is what I need not to gain any weight. Now, that allows me to eat "bad" and still stay about the same (assuming my metabolic rate won't change--a poor assumption, but I'm assuming it won't be much). It also assumes no "non-steps exercise," which is not accurate, either, as I have started some light weight training mixed in.

But overall, I think I found my mark. 7,000 steps average per day to maintain. For every 56,000 steps over that, I lose a pound. So if I can average 8,000 steps per day, I'll lose about 1/2 pound a month. If I can average 9,000 steps per day, I'll lose about 1 pound a month. If I can average 10,000 steps per day, I'll lose about 1-1/2 pound per month.

That's what I'm going to work on. I'm averaging 5,150 steps per day the last 28 days, so I have to improve. I don't want to go crazy on a diet, either, so starting....TOMORROW....will rededicate myself.

I am going to change my fitbit goal from 10,000 steps per day to 7,500 though. I want to hit it almost every day, and I know me. I just won't do that at 10,000.

KentuckyWildcat
01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
First, I weigh 230 pounds. That's rough; I've been a tad over it, and a tad under it recently, but close enough. I calculated a 3.0 mph walk/per mile as 122 calories burned. I figure it's really slightly more than that, because I have enough exercise at 5.2 mph and 3.6 mph (my "run" and "walk," respectively, when I exercise) that it's a little more than that. So I work with the general idea that 125 calories per mile is what is burned.

Speed per mile impacts calories very little. 1 mile of walk / run / jog will burn roughly the same amount.

I hope to do a light work out tonight. The back is still sore, but it is a lot better.

blueboss
01-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Does anybody know how long you should wait after eating before exercising, or is it best to exercise before dinner.

Oh and my exercise isn't swimming 😃 because everybody knows you have to wait an hour after eating before you get in the pool.

Darrell KSR
01-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Does anybody know how long you should wait after eating before exercising, or is it best to exercise before dinner.

Oh and my exercise isn't swimming 😃 because everybody knows you have to wait an hour after eating before you get in the pool.

Based on my experience, 3 or 4 weeks.

KentuckyWildcat
01-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Depends on a lot of variables. Did you go back for seconds? Dessert? Deep fried? Sweet tea or Pepsi?

If all of the above then Darrell is correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

blueboss
01-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Got my weekly update

Last week averaged 8273 steps/day. My best day was 11804.

Averaged 2 flights of steps/day with a daily best of 5

My sleep improved to 6:24/ night.

Averaged 3147 cal/day with a daily best of 3504.

I expect an increase across the board as I go into 20 minute/ day, 5 days/week workouts starting today.

I'll weigh in today when I get home but I imagine I'll be right where I've been since October 234-235...

So here we go, I'll work in a daily 5/wk exercise routine increasing from :20 minute daily workouts up to :40 over the next couple of weeks and then add in some food cutbacks.

Goal is to knock off 20-25 lbs by end of April.

AshCat
01-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Haven't been on here for a couple of weeks so just saw the thread. I had a pretty good year till the holidays where I picked up about 5 pounds. Started the year just a couple of pounds lighter than I started 2015 at 195. Got back in it relatively hard this first month and have got back down to 190 as of Monday. Most of last year I held between 187-192. Hope to get that down to between 180-185 this year. I'll post more details about what my daily routine was last year, Fitbit numbers, etc.... later.

Darrell KSR
01-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Haven't been on here for a couple of weeks so just saw the thread. I had a pretty good year till the holidays where I picked up about 5 pounds. Started the year just a couple of pounds lighter than I started 2015 at 195. Got back in it relatively hard this first month and have got back down to 190 as of Monday. Most of last year I held between 187-192. Hope to get that down to between 180-185 this year. I'll post more details about what my daily routine was last year, Fitbit numbers, etc.... later.

Man, you're a savant when it comes to steps. You fluctuating 5 pounds is nothing. You're my step-hero.

I'm going to start another Fitbit group and I just haven't done it yet so we can start fresh. And it's not just because I've been awful in my steps...which, unfortunately, I have been.

PedroDaGr8
01-31-2016, 10:28 AM
After my move, I got lazy and the return to southern food got me. Gained a BUNCH of weight, damn frustrating. Though I do have one question, what the hell is with southern grocery stores with the tiny fresh produce section that is stuck off in a corner?

Anyways, I have started doing StrongLifts 5x5 and CouchTo5K to get myself back in shape. MWF is SL5x5 and TRS is C25K, with Sunday being a rest day. Hopefully, 3-4 months I will be in much better physical shape. Both are programs designed for people who are sedentary to get yourself back in shape. The StrongLifts teaches you bulk motion weight lifting, while C25K as the name implies takes you from not being able to run at all to being able to run a 5K (in 9 weeks though it might take some longer).

Both of these programs are VERY well thought of in the fitness community, because they have excellent apps for the phone, are very nicely tailored for beginners and if you stick with them they do what the name implies.

bigsky
01-31-2016, 11:14 AM
15000 steps yesterday Three 5ks a week plus a thirty minute arms/ legs warmup and still the same 183.5 every morning.

Four to five restaurant lunches and other meetings likely contibute but Its tough to pay big money for lettuce.

And 36" waist--should be a 32. This fat around my middle aged middle is hurting my health. And 10 pounds times 10,000 steps a day is how much My 63 yr old heart and legs dont lift?

Thinking of some kind of fast/cleanse/south beach for a month system reboot but I'm worried it coukd affct those bad blood cells or heart situation. But geez Im working--hard but not working my butt off. It is discouraging!

PedroDaGr8
01-31-2016, 11:35 AM
15000 steps yesterday Three 5ks a week plus a thirty minute arms/ legs warmup and still the same 183.5 every morning.

Four to five restaurant lunches and other meetings likely contibute but Its tough to pay big money for lettuce.

And 36" waist--should be a 32. This fat around my middle aged middle is hurting my health. And 10 pounds times 10,000 steps a day is how much My 63 yr old heart and legs dont lift?

Thinking of some kind of fast/cleanse/south beach for a month system reboot but I'm worried it coukd affct those bad blood cells or heart situation. But geez Im working--hard but not working my butt off. It is discouraging!

There is a phrase: If you want to get healthier, you do it in the gym. If you want to lose weight, you do it in the kitchen.

Have you tried logging your food intake using an app like MyFitnessPal? It is a tad tedious at first, but when you get in the habit it gets very easy. They have shown most people underestimate the number of calories they are eating by around 25-50% (with people who are heavier being even higher than that).

Additionally, unfortunately, many apps and people also overestimate the number of calories burned by exercise alone. I have seen several studies showing treadmills and the like in particular overestimate calories burned by up to 50%.

For me, I am monitoring exactly how many calories I eat a day (found out I was consuming almost 750 calories more a day than I realized :mad0049:). Damn calorie dense southern food.

If you look up your TDEE you can get an idea of what ballpark number of calories you need to consume to maintain your current weight. You should be eating a deficit to this number. Since this is a ballpark number, you might have to fine tune this number a bit. For example, you might find while the calculator says you need 2300 calories a day to maintain, you actually need to be below 2100 to lose weight but it gives you a number to start from and you can fine tune from there.

As for paying big money for lettuce, think of it as you are paying the extra money to have a healthier heart and body (watch those restaurant dressings, that little cup often has 2x the calories of the entire salad on the plate).

bigsky
01-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Good advice, great one!

blueboss
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Tuesday update

Steps went up

9270 AV
12372 best day

29 floors
4 AV
8 best day

3247 Cal burn AV
3568 best day

Sleep still sucks
5:36 AV

I actually lost about 1.5lbs down to a flat 234 today, but it's been bouncing between 233-234.

The previous week it was bouncing 234-235.

All in all pretty pleased with getting back in cardio shape to be able to go 30-40 minutes which has been burning around 475 Cals five days/wk.

Darrell KSR
02-02-2016, 01:13 PM
There is a phrase: If you want to get healthier, you do it in the gym. If you want to lose weight, you do it in the kitchen.

I like this.

KentuckyWildcat
02-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Back is better. Mostly been doing body weight stuff. Hope to gradually start adding some weights. Maybe tonight.

blueboss
02-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Averaged 11, 617 steps/day last week.

During exercise roughly 35-40 minutes/ day five days/week I burn an average of 600 calories.

I've lost about 3lbs since the start of my exercise almost three weeks ago, putting me at 233.4.

Lent starts today so that means no more sweets, cookies, cakes, pastries, pies, ice cream Popsicle's, candy. I do eat fruit and granola....

So we'll see how it goes, it is my goal to lose 20-25 lbs by mid May

See you guys in Skinnyville

PedroDaGr8
02-11-2016, 10:19 AM
So I am continuing to push through StrongLifts 5x5 and Couch25K. Frankly, I am enjoying them both. They are both intended for novices who need a plan for getting back up to speed. The StrongLifts is hard but it really is showing improvements (in particular in my back muscles) already and only after 3 weeks. Anyone who is hesitant or needs a lifting program for the gym, this is a GREAT one to get you started. It teaches you a lot of the fundamental compound lifts and slowly, but steadily, works you up in weight. In a matter of time I will go from benchpressing a bit more than the bar to bench pressing with 45lb plates on each side, to benchpressing more than that.

As for Couch25K it is a GREAT way to build running stamina. You do it slow and its main focus is on building up your stamina from a sedentary lifestyle. I am getting to the point that I really enjoy both of these. I go to the gym 6 days a week, roughly 30-45min at a time and it is easy. In 3-6months (depending on if I repeat weeks) I will go from being entirely sedentary to running a 5k every other day. I might not be fast, but I don't care. I will be doing a 5K every other freaking day.

Combined between these two, I will go from being in really bad cardiovascular and muscular health to being in great shape relatively.

blueboss
02-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Forgot, week before last I only averaged 10,371 steps/day.

My sleep improved a wee bit, might be because of the exercise.

Burning about 3k Cals/day according to the FirBit which seems a little generous.

I managed to get in my 20's (229)

I'll get my data from last week tomorrow, pretty curious to see my weekly weigh in with the first full week of lent and no sweets.

Darrell KSR
02-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Two things.

1) I have been very poor in my exercise, and in my eating habits.

2) I have lost my Fitbit Zip. I had it Tuesday when I went to Walmart to buy a dorm sized refrigerator (for our kitchen--to add to the other one--while we wait on the never-seeming-to-arrive-new-one--but that's another story). This is the 2nd time I lost my Fitbit. The first time I found it in the back of my minivan, as I had bumped my pocket and it apparently jumped off. Well, I was carrying a large dorm sized refrigerator, and recall being bumped around on my body where I carry it, so I suspect it did the same thing. I have looked in my car, but not exhaustively yet, to see if I could find it. In addition, I knew exactly where I parked--I typically park away from the store, for a couple of reasons--to gain a few more steps coming and going, and secondly, to avoid bumping into another car (or having a car bump into me). So I returned that night with a bright flashlight (Defiant, 3D, 800 lumens, IIRC) and searched, to no avail. I went inside in the unlikely event that someone had returned it--no luck. I left a note with my name and number and description of the Fitbit in case someone turned it in.

It won't work.

The last time I lost it for about a month. I couldn't stand it, so I ordered another one. When I found the original, I gave my wife the new one, which she uses much better than I do anyway. Looks like I'll have to buy another one to replace it. Irritating!

PedroDaGr8
02-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Two things.

1) I have been very poor in my exercise, and in my eating habits.

2) I have lost my Fitbit Zip. I had it Tuesday when I went to Walmart to buy a dorm sized refrigerator (for our kitchen--to add to the other one--while we wait on the never-seeming-to-arrive-new-one--but that's another story). This is the 2nd time I lost my Fitbit. The first time I found it in the back of my minivan, as I had bumped my pocket and it apparently jumped off. Well, I was carrying a large dorm sized refrigerator, and recall being bumped around on my body where I carry it, so I suspect it did the same thing. I have looked in my car, but not exhaustively yet, to see if I could find it. In addition, I knew exactly where I parked--I typically park away from the store, for a couple of reasons--to gain a few more steps coming and going, and secondly, to avoid bumping into another car (or having a car bump into me). So I returned that night with a bright flashlight (Defiant, 3D, 800 lumens, IIRC) and searched, to no avail. I went inside in the unlikely event that someone had returned it--no luck. I left a note with my name and number and description of the Fitbit in case someone turned it in.

It won't work.

The last time I lost it for about a month. I couldn't stand it, so I ordered another one. When I found the original, I gave my wife the new one, which she uses much better than I do anyway. Looks like I'll have to buy another one to replace it. Irritating!

Even though you hate it D, just get the wristband style ones. You are much less likely to lose those, as much as you hate them I know you; you hate spending money much more.:tongue08:

Did it today, for the first time ever I deadlifted a full-plate on each side of the bar (total weight 135lbs) for a set of 5. It isn't much for most people but it is a milestone for me getting back in shape.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160223/28bcb796f88fed981136286c1b42f5c3.jpg

Darrell KSR
02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
1. Went today without wearing my watch. I have to do that more often. I do not want to add to things I wear on my wrist, I want to take away..

2. It is glorious not having to charge that or change the battery for 4 months.

3. I'm still considering something on my wrist because you're right, I hate spending and wasting money.

blueboss
02-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Since you can't wear the FitBit in the shower I usually plug mine in to charge it when I get in the shower.

blueboss
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Tuesday FitBit update

Average steps-10,854/day
Average Sleep-6 hrs
Calorie Burn Exercise 645/ day
Exercise Average 42 minutes/5days/week

AM Weight 227.8

blueboss
03-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Ooops not hearing much from my fellow work out team...I am continuing to slog ahead on my own

Steps average 12,407/day

Calories burned average 3249/day

Average sleep 6:17/night

Current weight 225.4

Darrell KSR
03-08-2016, 03:52 PM
230.4 yesterday. Have not replaced my lost Fitbit yet. Occasionally keeping up with steps through S Health on Galaxy s5, but inconsistently. I'm sure if I was exercising more I would be keeping up better, though.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2016, 02:13 PM
1. Went today without wearing my watch. I have to do that more often. I do not want to add to things I wear on my wrist, I want to take away..

2. It is glorious not having to charge that or change the battery for 4 months.

3. I'm still considering something on my wrist because you're right, I hate spending and wasting money.
Okay, here is the deal. I think I told you guys that about a year ago I bought a Xiomi Mi band fitness band. Remarkable device for about 15 bucks. I misplaced the charging cord and had to order another charging cord for it, and I really don't like wearing things on my list anyway. So I just sort of abandoned it.

Charged it up this morning, and have started wearing it again, in the hopes that will cause me to begin exercising again. I will admit that it is extra cool, in that it will gently vibrate if I get a phone call, even if my phone is on silent, receive a text message, email, with different colors for different email accounts, alarms can be said multiple times, and it does that nonsensical measuring of sleep to tell me that I am a horribly sleep deprived person. The battery life on this charge is 30 days, which ain't all that bad, even for me who hates to have to recharge things. The biggest issue is getting used to wearing it, although for bands it is extremely comfortable. Oh, and it is ip67, which means it is dustproof and water resistant. Can wear it in shower, expose it to rain, etc. Just don't go swimming with it.

I will probably buy another fitbit zip, because I hate wearing things but I'm also cheap...err, frugal.

PedroDaGr8
03-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Okay, here is the deal. I think I told you guys that about a year ago I bought a Xiomi Mi band fitness band. Remarkable device for about 15 bucks. I misplaced the charging cord and had to order another charging cord for it, and I really don't like wearing things on my list anyway. So I just sort of abandoned it.

Charged it up this morning, and have started wearing it again, in the hopes that will cause me to begin exercising again. I will admit that it is extra cool, in that it will gently vibrate if I get a phone call, even if my phone is on silent, receive a text message, email, with different colors for different email accounts, alarms can be said multiple times, and it does that nonsensical measuring of sleep to tell me that I am a horribly sleep deprived person. The battery life on this charge is 30 days, which ain't all that bad, even for me who hates to have to recharge things. The biggest issue is getting used to wearing it, although for bands it is extremely comfortable. Oh, and it is ip67, which means it is dustproof and water resistant. Can wear it in shower, expose it to rain, etc. Just don't go swimming with it.

I will probably buy another fitbit zip, because I hate wearing things but I'm also cheap...err, frugal.

Xiaomi is making some good stuff. I have their Piston 3 headphones and ABSOLUTELY love them, there name is pronounced roughly "Show Me" if anyone cares. They fit perfectly in my ears and have very nice sound quality, especially at their price. The only downside is that they are getting so popular that the Chinese are knocking them off (even though Xiaomi is Chinese), so you have to buy from a reputable distrubutor. I purchased mine from Amazon (avoiding the 3rd party sellers) that way I know I was getting the real deal.

blueboss
03-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Tuesday Fitbit update.

My step average dropped a wee bit to 9654/day

Exercising averaging 45 minutes/ day

Calorie burn during exercise went up to close to 700/day on the machine

Sleep was no better at closer to 6 hours/ night with less restless minutes

I have seen my weight as low as 221.6, but today's weigh in had me at 223.8.

So far so good. Not really dieting with the exception of no processed sweets.

Darrell KSR
03-21-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm still right at 230 (229.8). For not doing any exercising recently, or really watching what I am eating, I am not unhappy with that. I actually feared it would be more.

I have to decide whether I'm going to bite the bullet and buy another Fitbit, or live with the Xiomi band. I actually think the band undercounts about 20%. I don't really care, as long as it is consistent--I can adjust what the numbers "should" be. (For example, I can internally say that I need a minimum of 6k steps daily, even when I don't exercise, instead of 7.5k.) It's embarrassing, but without accountability, I find it's too easy not to exercise. My daughter has a Fitbit band she offered to give me (she bought the new one with the Touch screen), but I'm struggling to get used to the Xiomi band, as I hate wearing stuff, so I declined. But I need to get back into my Fitbit group.

blueboss
03-21-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm still right at 230 (229.8). For not doing any exercising recently, or really watching what I am eating, I am not unhappy with that. I actually feared it would be more.

I have to decide whether I'm going to bite the bullet and buy another Fitbit, or live with the Xiomi band. I actually think the band undercounts about 20%. I don't really care, as long as it is consistent--I can adjust what the numbers "should" be. (For example, I can internally say that I need a minimum of 6k steps daily, even when I don't exercise, instead of 7.5k.) It's embarrassing, but without accountability, I find it's too easy not to exercise. My daughter has a Fitbit band she offered to give me (she bought the new one with the Touch screen), but I'm struggling to get used to the Xiomi band, as I hate wearing stuff, so I declined. But I need to get back into my Fitbit group.

I like my Fitbit Charge HR, it is a band. It's got caller ID and is synced up to my cell phone.

The step counter is accurate but the steps to mileage ratio is a tad off but like you said since I know I can compensate. The one thing that is way off is the stairs counter, for instance it said I went up 7 flights of steps today and didn't climb not even one set of stairs until I got home.

The other thing is it requires charging, but while its water resistant I've gotten in the habit of plugging the charger in everyday when I get in the shower.

My daughter just got one so now she's challenging me to daily step offs which has been a lot of fun. For the most part I usually beat her especially on the five days a week that I exercise. I'm pretty sedentary on Saturdays, at least until the weather officially breaks and yard stuff begins.

I'm still averaging around 11k steps a day w/ some 14k days once or twice a week....but tomorrow is when I get my fitbit email with weekly update

blueboss
03-23-2016, 09:28 AM
My weekly Fitbit update for last week has me at

Average steps/day 9833, best day 13834

Cals burned / day 3246 but who knows how accurate that is. I just go by my cal burn during exercise which is 800 cals/ 45 minutes five days a week.

My sleep is better I'm average closer to 6 hours/night.

My weigh in had me at 221.5, and I've seen it as low as 219.2

Shooting for 10 more lbs, but the last 10 are always harder than the first 15.

PedroDaGr8
04-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Tired of the random results of mainly focusing on exercise, I decided to go back to basics with my food consumption. I picked up a kitchen scale on Amazon and I am counting and tracking calories, using MyFitnessPal. I track EVERYTHING, from the fun-sized candy bar that I grabbed as a snack, to the chips I have, to the salad (which I weight out), the grapefruit and even the butter on my bagel (I measure in teaspoons). It isn't easy work, but I learned something. I cannot trust my body to tell me when I am hungry. I could eat a 600 calorie meal and my body would tell me I am starving an hour later. So I am learning to ignore it and just trust my calories for the day. Counting calories makes the food choices much more real so that I am much more inclined to pick healthy food instead of quick food. On that note, I have started back with my Meal Prep Sundays (though they aren't always Sunday). I will cook food for multiple meals all in one go (prepping common ingredients, like onion and garlic, together to save time). As a result, I spend a couple hours on Sunday preparing most, if not all, of my food for the week. I store it in containers, weigh out a portion for a meal and reheat. So far I am down around 10lbs since starting all of the above.

I also decided to cutout caffeine, this isn't a hard cutout but I actively avoid it. After one week of struggling with caffeine withdrawls, I am feeling actually more clear headed than before (this might also be in part to eating better as well). I was tired of the mixed stressed and exhausted feeling I was getting due to my high caffeine consumption. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was caused by the caffeine or reality. I can now say, it was the caffeine.

Darrell KSR
04-04-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm wearing the Xiomi band today, but I have given up on wearing it as an exercise measurement device. I don't think it is that accurate (which I'm ok with--it's pretty consistent, and you can adjust your expectations based on whatever the measurements routinely demonstrate), but moreover, I just can't get used to wearing a band. I went without wearing it for a glorious week, and it was so much better, and so much more comfortable.

I need to focus on weight loss and exercise both. I'm about ready to break down and purchase my 3rd Fitbit Zip (I have only "permanently" lost one of them, as I found one and gave it to my wife), and just use the food/calorie app with the Fitbit app. I have used LoseIt before, and like it, and I'm not sure if I tried My Fitness Pal or not, but my idea is simplification, use of one app, rather than two, I think.

I'm contemplating purchasing it at Walmart today. But I may wait a little while longer, although it has been almost seven weeks now, and it hasn't turned up.

blueboss
04-05-2016, 12:24 AM
I broke a cable on my Gazelle so my exercise is on hold. I ordered the replacement today, they said I should have it in a week. I'm at 220.2 but my official weigh in day is tomorrow.

For the rest of the week I'm going to have to rely on diet.

I do have some yard work to get done that'll burn some calories.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Almost as much as I have ever weighed.

Time to get serious.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Just downloaded and signed up with Fooducate. Read several articles on weight loss apps. All of the usual suspects we have discussed are there like My fitness Pal, Lose it, Google Fit, etc. and even Fitbit's own app. I thought I would try this one because it gives you information on each food as to whether it's good or not, you can scan, or use the camera and it will tell you. I'm pretty ignorant - I mean, are the granola bars good for me to eat as a snack because they are granola, or bad because they have sugar? You know, that kind of stuff. I suspect after a few weeks of use I will have a much better handle on some of my usual foods.

PedroDaGr8
04-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Just downloaded and signed up with Fooducate. Read several articles on weight loss apps. All of the usual suspects we have discussed are there like My fitness Pal, Lose it, Google Fit, etc. and even Fitbit's own app. I thought I would try this one because it gives you information on each food as to whether it's good or not, you can scan, or use the camera and it will tell you. I'm pretty ignorant - I mean, are the granola bars good for me to eat as a snack because they are granola, or bad because they have sugar? You know, that kind of stuff. I suspect after a few weeks of use I will have a much better handle on some of my usual foods.

At the end of the day, barring you having any major health problems like severe hypertension or diabetes, it comes down to CICO (Calories In Calories Out). Eating at a caloric deficit will cause you to lose weight, while it might take you some time to find out exactly what your break even caloric level is (using a TDEE calculator is a good start). For people that are otherwise healthy, there is no such thing as a good food or bad food per se just good or bad quantities you consume. You could make the salad and twinkie diet and as long as you kept your calories under your break even point, you would lose weight. I have found, using a food scale (because mass is more accurate than volume) and calorie labels is enough to get me through. Since I prepare most of my meals, not eat out, this easier.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2016, 11:45 AM
At the end of the day, barring you having any major health problems like severe hypertension or diabetes, it comes down to CICO (Calories In Calories Out). Eating at a caloric deficit will cause you to lose weight, while it might take you some time to find out exactly what your break even caloric level is (using a TDEE calculator is a good start). For people that are otherwise healthy, there is no such thing as a good food or bad food per se just good or bad quantities you consume. You could make the salad and twinkie diet and as long as you kept your calories under your break even point, you would lose weight. I have found, using a food scale (because mass is more accurate than volume) and calorie labels is enough to get me through. Since I prepare most of my meals, not eat out, this easier.

I don't agree with this at all, Pedro. Calories are a measure of energy, and only one component of whether a food is good or bad--per se. It is a myth that it is the only thing that matters, and/or an oversimplification.

Without writing four pages of why that is true (and I am sure you know that to be accurate), foods affect your body in different ways, and affect metabolism and the manner in which your body can burn fat or lose weight in total.

My primary goal of weight loss will be to cut calories. I think that's the smartest thing. But it's far from the only thing related to food--even for weight loss, much less health--and that's why I personally am seeking Fooducate to assist in identifying good foods.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Picked up a new Fitbit zip tonight. Gave it to my wife, unpaired hers (my first original one), paired the new one as a replacement for a current user so she didn't lose her data, then took her current one (my original one) and did the same for me. Reason for the gymnastics was that she had the charcoal color one (I like) and bought a magenta color one (she likes).

Back on track.

blueboss
04-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Picked up a new Fitbit zip tonight. Gave it to my wife, unpaired hers (my first original one), paired the new one as a replacement for a current user so she didn't lose her data, then took her current one (my original one) and did the same for me. Reason for the gymnastics was that she had the charcoal color one (I like) and bought a magenta color one (she likes).

Back on track.

I'm exhausted just trying to figure out the five zip finagle. Until I get my replacement cable for my gazelle I can burn calories reading your posts😳

Keep'm coming, 220.2 with at least five to go.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I set my goal at 190, which I haven't seen yet in decades, but also extended the time for 18 months. Hoping to do it more quickly than that, but that's 44 pounds and I don't want to create frustration when I fall behind if I am too aggressive.

Darrell KSR
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm one for one on keeping my calories under the mark (1830 is my mark).

Have been crazy sedentary today working at home, but will try to hit a minimum of 7,500 steps today. Going to the gym in a couple of hours and will try to do 2-3 miles on the treadmill.

Darrell KSR
04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Great new diet plan. Leave to take son to doctor at 10:30. Four hours later, still at doctor's office. Chances of eating lunch, zero.

blueboss
04-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Yep, with any luck you can also pick up some stray flu germs and lose even more weight😀

blueboss
04-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Well, it seems as though I've jinxed myself and caught the flu bug. I don't recall ever being this sick.

PedroDaGr8
04-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Well, it seems as though I've jinxed myself and caught the flu bug. I don't recall ever being this sick.

Sounds like the real flu, not the fake one. I have had the twice that I can remember. The worst time was when I was a sophomore @ UK. I was on the top floor of the no-longer existing Haggin Hall, I was too weak to even walk to K-Lair. I had to have friends bring me food. It sucked horribly. Hope you feelbetter soon boss.

blueboss
04-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Sounds like the real flu, not the fake one. I have had the twice that I can remember. The worst time was when I was a sophomore @ UK. I was on the top floor of the no-longer existing Haggin Hall, I was too weak to even walk to K-Lair. I had to have friends bring me food. It sucked horribly. Hope you feelbetter soon boss.

Thanks GR8, I made it!! It was touch and go for a day or two, but after three days of sick hell I ate the bear!!

I don't know what it was, throwing up for two days and sea sick feeling for the entire ride. I never real had a fever to speak of, but I had a rocking headache for the duration. Battling weakness now but that's probably just lack of food.

Glad to be alive...

PedroDaGr8
04-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks GR8, I made it!! It was touch and go for a day or two, but after three days of sick hell I ate the bear!!

I don't know what it was, throwing up for two days and sea sick feeling for the entire ride. I never real had a fever to speak of, but I had a rocking headache for the duration. Battling weakness now but that's probably just lack of food.

Glad to be alive...

That is great to hear that you are getting better, sounds like you REALLY got hammered. Wonder if it was a norovirus (they cause severe gastric distress). The weakness can be lack of food AND lack of electrolytes from the upset stomach. Get some Pedialyte (much better at refreshing electrolytes than sports drinks) to drink along with eating some decent food and you should be better soon.

As for me, I am down 14lbs so far, since I started dieting. Still a BUNCH to go, but last week I just did a squat for the first time with a full 45lb plate on each side. Not a big deal for most, but for me it was a huge accomplishment. I haven't done that since I was a freshman in college. Getting there, slowly but surely. Loving the StrongLifts5x5 plan, I am definitely seeing gains in muscular definition and ability.

blueboss
04-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Seems like not eating a whole lot for the last four days I would have withered away to nothing, but alas I'm at 219. Probably not having the energy or fortitude to even twitch had something to do with it.

I did get my replacement cable for my gazelle so I'll be back in business here starting, probably Sunday.

Still not sure what I had, but from what I'm hearing there are variations of what I had running rampant in the area.

It appears I'm lucky with whatever it was only making me nauseous and throwing up, as opposed to nauseous and throwing up along with diarrhea.

Anyway I'd like to lose another 5 lbs between now and 2nd week of May at which time I'll find my big azz on the beach for two weeks.

I don't even think about watching what I eat on vacation, and even though I'm pretty active while vacationing, there is nothing really physically demanding unless we get some big waves. Since we'll be on the gulf side, the likely hood of big waves in May are slim. I will start my seasonal swimming exercise while down there but getting in swimming shape is hard and I'm not likely to work that hard on vacation. I'll get a little more serious when we return.

The goal during vacation is to not gain over 5lbs, so if I can get the extra 5lbs off now now I'll break even while gone.

At some point I'll be snooping around about weights but for now I'm sticking with cardio.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2016, 11:45 AM
230.6 this morning, so -4.2 pounds in two weeks. Ran 2.5 miles at Spain Park yesterday, did the same the day before with my son. He's rehabbing an ACL sprain, and started his conditioning program back Saturday, so I'm running with him when I can.

Have been under my mark on calories for two weeks now, or whenever I started, which is almost that, I guess. Usually around 1650 calories. I will "run it up" in the mid 2000's one day this week or maybe early next week, as I understand your body gets used to the lower calories unless you "ramp it up" every once in awhile. Somebody here, I think, told me when you start it, you don't need to do that for about 3 weeks when you first get started, but after that, once a week you should do it (without going crazy overboard, and with your total calorie count for the week being the amount you need to drop pounds.)

Almost as much as I have ever weighed.

Time to get serious.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2016, 11:48 AM
By the way--I was thirsty before we ran yesterday--and realize, my "running" is a slow jog for 200 meters, then I walk for about 50-100 meters, then jog another 100-150 meters, and sorta do what I can the entire time like that. I try to jog more than I walk, but toward the end it's very close to 50-50.

Anyway, I was thirsty, and didn't think too much about it. I carry a case of water in my car at all times, so I had water that was cool enough to drink. Opened a bottle and took a quick gulp before we started.

Toward the end I got a little dizzy. It was sunny, I wasn't wearing a hat, and it was 77 degrees. I know that's not hot, and that's what fooled me--it was hot enough in the sun that, with the lack of headwear, and with being ill-prepared before I started, it was foolish. I'm 55-years old, and I can't do stupid things like that anymore. It wasn't bad, but just a little.

So warning to all, if you go outside and exercise--be careful.

blueboss
04-18-2016, 04:07 PM
By the way--I was thirsty before we ran yesterday--and realize, my "running" is a slow jog for 200 meters, then I walk for about 50-100 meters, then jog another 100-150 meters, and sorta do what I can the entire time like that. I try to jog more than I walk, but toward the end it's very close to 50-50.

Anyway, I was thirsty, and didn't think too much about it. I carry a case of water in my car at all times, so I had water that was cool enough to drink. Opened a bottle and took a quick gulp before we started.

Toward the end I got a little dizzy. It was sunny, I wasn't wearing a hat, and it was 77 degrees. I know that's not hot, and that's what fooled me--it was hot enough in the sun that, with the lack of headwear, and with being ill-prepared before I started, it was foolish. I'm 55-years old, and I can't do stupid things like that anymore. It wasn't bad, but just a little.

So warning to all, if you go outside and exercise--be careful.

It seems like at 77 degrees and even though it's sunny your hair should offer enough protection without wearing a hat..... Oh wait a minute! Never mind.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2016, 04:51 PM
I was wearing my Sweat Gutr, which is the greatest thing ever invented. Because of allergies, I decided not to wear contacts, and wore my glasses instead. Despite sweating profusely, not a drop of perspiration trickled on my spectacles. Amazingly good invention, especially for those of us who are follicly challenged. It is also 100x better than the best sweat band, bandana or whatever. Rinse off the salty perspiration, and it is good to go again.

blueboss
04-18-2016, 05:16 PM
What is this Sweat Gutr you speak of?

I seem to remember mention of it. I hate having my ear buds in and sweat going in my ears.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2016, 06:00 PM
I love them so much I own two of them. I keep one in my exercise bag at all times, and one in my car for times when I am not going to the gym. I am in route to a Boosters meeting, or I would post more specifics, but will follow up later. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Darrell KSR
04-19-2016, 02:25 PM
This is the Sweat Gutr. Reviews on it are kinda funny. Most love it. A few don't think it works. I sweat a lot when I exercise--I mean, my shirt gets drenched. I have no hair to stop it, so it flows off my head and forehead like crazy. And it works beautifully.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71laTnLAuSL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon reviews --- 395 of them-- 47% give it 5-stars (as do I or would I. I'd give it 6 if I could.)

HOWEVER...12% give it 1-star, which I think is high. Another 8% give it 2-stars, so 20% think it's a 1-star or 2-star product.

I read the 1-star reviews. Some of them are full of junk. I own two of them--the silicone rubber does not stink. It does not stink out of the package; it does not stink after use. They're crazy.

The ones claiming the sweat comes into their eyes? They must have it upside down. Or maybe they have some anomaly in their head shape that creates something where it doesn't fit. It's not overly tight on my head (I can easily move it up and down, but it stays in place), and it just wicks away the sweat down the sides.

Would a rare drop every get through? Yes, it has happened. But it's rare (when I wore it this weekend, not a drop on my eyeglasses, despite being out in the sun for nearly 45 minutes sweating.

Saw one complain that it dumped the sweat in the corner of his eyes. There's really no explanation for that. The gutter part would go past the corner of the eyes, but the company asked him a question--a bicyclist--if it was possible the helmet was pinching off the ends of the gutter. He did not respond.

But there's enough of them, roughly 1 in 5, that it simply must not work for a minority of people. They're not making it up. The one claiming it smelled like garlic and onions? Come on...

On the other hand, between 5* and 4* reviews, about 70% of the people think it's great. I am one of those.

blueboss
04-19-2016, 07:12 PM
I looked them up on line, does $20 sound right?

Darrell KSR
04-19-2016, 09:25 PM
I want to say I paid $15-16 bucks. Close to $20. You can buy them locally somewhere, but I forgot where.

blueboss
04-25-2016, 09:07 PM
217lbs this morning and have actually seen 216.2. I might just make that under 215 goal by derby.

PedroDaGr8
04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
217lbs this morning and have actually seen 216.2. I might just make that under 215 goal by derby.

Good job BlueBoss! I'm now down 19-20lbs (yesterday I was down 20, but water weight pushed me back up to 19 today).

blueboss
04-27-2016, 08:24 PM
217 puts me at minus 18 since mid February. I'm going through the bouncy stage right now too. I've seen 215.8 and 216.5 but I keep hanging on 217. My schedule has been greatly compromised with the advent of spring. I've got to get back into a regular schedule to get back on track with consistent weight loss.

I got my machine back up and going, now I've got to get buckled down to a regular schedule...we'll see. Oh I did order me a Sweat Gutr should have it in a few days.

Darrell KSR
04-27-2016, 10:39 PM
231.4 this morning. Doing OK with eating, not exercising. In fact, averaging 4,000 steps a day. My goal was to average 7,500 as a minimum, which I felt I could do without exercising. Fat chance.

I don't remember the formula I used, but the difference between 3500 and 7500 steps really adds up over time in terms of weight gain/loss.

Darrell KSR
04-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Good job to both of you. I want to use you guys as role models.

Good job BlueBoss! I'm now down 19-20lbs (yesterday I was down 20, but water weight pushed me back up to 19 today).

PedroDaGr8
04-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Good job to both of you. I want to use you guys as role models.
You can do it D. It just takes planning. Just remember you get healthy in the gym; you lose weight in the kitchen.

My breakfast this morning:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/b742f97db179a28bbef2e9c9f7acf8c0.jpg

High protein pancakes. Using Kodiak Power Cakes as a base and adding a scoop of strawberry creme protein powder. It ends up being 292 calories and 34g of protein for what you see there. I find they taste like strawberry cake.

Darrell KSR
04-28-2016, 10:51 AM
That looks terrific.

I have generally been eating one packet of oatmeal (160 calories) for breakfast. For lunch, if I can run home (I work 2.5 miles away, so it's usually doable), I have been having either a Lender's bagel and cream cheese, or a peanut butter sandwich with banana.

For dinner, I eat what my wife cooks, but it's usually a salad, a vegetable like carrots or green beans, and the entree is usually chicken baked on cooked on the stove, pork, etc. She doesn't fry anything. Could be roast beef, maybe crockpot roast she does, etc.

I've been limiting any "specials" to either a 160 calories granola bar thing, or two Chips ahoy type cookies. And many days not that. But I may have a 90 calorie box of raisins or a Fuji apple if my stomach is really growling.

Not great eating, but pretty good. I will not eat much better than this, really, anytime. Where I am failing miserably is drinking water. If I drank more water, I wouldn't ahve that stomach growling for "food."

But 4,000 steps a day is so, so sedentary. Have to increase the metabolism to burn some of the calories consumed, and some exercise to burn it on its own.

You can do it D. It just takes planning. Just remember you get healthy in the gym; you lose weight in the kitchen.

My breakfast this morning:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/b742f97db179a28bbef2e9c9f7acf8c0.jpg

High protein pancakes. Using Kodiak Power Cakes as a base and adding a scoop of strawberry creme protein powder. It ends up being 292 calories and 34g of protein for what you see there. I find they taste like strawberry cake.

PedroDaGr8
04-28-2016, 12:02 PM
That looks terrific.

I have generally been eating one packet of oatmeal (160 calories) for breakfast. For lunch, if I can run home (I work 2.5 miles away, so it's usually doable), I have been having either a Lender's bagel and cream cheese, or a peanut butter sandwich with banana.

For dinner, I eat what my wife cooks, but it's usually a salad, a vegetable like carrots or green beans, and the entree is usually chicken baked on cooked on the stove, pork, etc. She doesn't fry anything. Could be roast beef, maybe crockpot roast she does, etc.

I've been limiting any "specials" to either a 160 calories granola bar thing, or two Chips ahoy type cookies. And many days not that. But I may have a 90 calorie box of raisins or a Fuji apple if my stomach is really growling.

Not great eating, but pretty good. I will not eat much better than this, really, anytime. Where I am failing miserably is drinking water. If I drank more water, I wouldn't ahve that stomach growling for "food."

But 4,000 steps a day is so, so sedentary. Have to increase the metabolism to burn some of the calories consumed, and some exercise to burn it on its own.

Wow that picture is way bigger on PC than on my phone. I'll need to resize that later.

Your meal plan seems very robust, I would estimate you are eating around 1200-1500 calories unless there are some hidden calories in there (oils or butter in the dinner, too much salad dressing, etc.). You should lose weight at a steady pace on that.

Here is my general day of meals.

Breakfast (400 Calories)
Everything Bagel with 1 tsp of margarine (measured using measuring spoons, 1/2 tsp per side). It is just enough butter to keep it from being dry.
Protein Shake

Lunch (430 calories)
Panko Breaded Tilapia from Costco (2x fillets)
Bag of baby carrots (measured by mass on my kitchen scale)

Dinner (300-500)
Some dish that I made calories added up, weighed out and portioned (200-400 calories)
Some tasty salad that is not just lettuce (I HATE plain lettuce but LOVE arugula, kale, spinach, etc.) Once again, weighed out with a small amount of dressing (dressings can be VERY high calorie)
Protein Shake

Snack
If I feel like having one usually one of the following: grapefruit cup, fuji apple, tangerine juice, very small bowl of cereal (weighed out once again).

I aim for around 1200-1500 calories a day, usually hitting around 1300 calories. This is quite low for my weight but I actually enjoy it. Also, I am for 100g of protein in that mix, because I am lifting weights hard and I need the protein to help build muscle (let alone prevent this hard cutting of calories from actually sacrificing muscle). I also keep one of those refillable bottles of water at my desk and drink a LOT.

Results and what I have learned:
So far, I have been following this diet pretty strongly day in and day out. I try to measure by mass (on a $10 digital kitchen scale) EVERYTHING I can to get accurate calorie counts. If I can't by mass, such as sauces I am adding to a dish, I get their volume using measuring spoons. Getting accurate calorie counts is VERY important. Studies have shown that overweight people tend to dramatically underestimate the amt of calories they consume, while underweight ppl often OVER estimate how much they eat. This is why you see overweight ppl that say they barely eat anything and are overweight and ALSO why you see really skinny people that claim to eat loads that actually don't. I religiously log every single bite that goes into my mouth into MyFitnessPal. I have learned that just because your body FEELS hungry doesn't mean you need to eat. Also, if I want something special then I budget the calories in the day accordingly. For example, on my birthday this weekend, for dinner, I had a 6oz NY Strip steak, sauteed asparagus, a dark beer and some cake. I just chose sensible portion sizes of each of those and made sure that I ate during the day accordingly so that I had the calories reserved for dinner. As a result, on my birthday, with TWO servings of cake, I still only consumed 1475 calories, WELL under both my BMR and TDEE. This flexibility (no wrong foods, just wrong portion sizes) really helps me because if I feel like a beer or a bourbon on the weekend I can have it. For others, it might be too free-form to enjoy. I have also entirely cutout caffeine (no soda, even diet, no coffee, no tea) because I found that it was making my quality of life worse from using it TOO much. I find now that I am actually much LESS tired than I used to be, even on nights where I don't get a good sleep.

As a result of this diet and working out, I am now down 19.4 lbs so far.

Darrell KSR
04-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Man, I'm understating my ability to be sedentary.

Here are my last 3 days. This is pathetic.

Darrell KSR
04-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Despite being overweight and out of shape (unless a circle is a good shape), I still get this consistently... 5514

Darrell KSR
04-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Ugh. Dinner tonight - two hamburgers, two bratwursts, chips, and piece of apple pie with caramel drizzle. Oh, and a glazed doughnut.

I don't think I did that well today.

PedroDaGr8
04-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Despite being overweight and out of shape (unless a circle is a good shape), I still get this consistently... 5514
Those are really good numbers D. Much better than mine, my numbers are what pushed me to get serious about my diet, not just working out.

Ugh. Dinner tonight - two hamburgers, two bratwursts, chips, and piece of apple pie with caramel drizzle. Oh, and a glazed doughnut.

I don't think I did that well today.

No big deal, we all slip up from time to time. It isn't that you failed, it is how your respond to a failure that determines that outcome. Just hop back on that horse today and you will be fine.

Darrell KSR
04-29-2016, 01:11 PM
My wife was out of town, so I grilled last night. And did grocery shopping beforehand; hence the apple pie with caramel drizzle, doughnuts, and all the crap I bought lol.

I told her what we had to eat--actually, told her that I went grocery shopping for dinner last night, and she asked one question--"how much did you spend?"

When I told her $82, she said, "this is why you don't grocery shop for us."

I know what I'm doing, dawg...one decadent meal (I bought wine, too, tea, etc.), one trip to the grocery store, and I make sure I'm never called on to do it again. Just hope she doesn't read this thread.

CitizenBBN
04-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Never do anything well you don't want to keep doing.

I lost my weight with a simple strategy: no carbs, and hit the treadmill when I can. Mostly eat less and no carbs.

it's not easy. first, I like things like potato chips and fries,a lot. I like potatoes. Second, other than meat and nuts it's hard to find things with no carbs.

I want to try making something called cloud bread. It's egg whites and cream cheese, like a marangue (sp?), but apparently you let them sit in a bag overnight and they get chewy and more like bread.

The thing is I need to lose twice as much as I've lost, and it's hard to stick to the no carb thing right now. I'm busy, so I'm on the road, and like I said I really like potatoes. And popcorn.

PedroDaGr8
05-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Never do anything well you don't want to keep doing.

I lost my weight with a simple strategy: no carbs, and hit the treadmill when I can. Mostly eat less and no carbs.

it's not easy. first, I like things like potato chips and fries,a lot. I like potatoes. Second, other than meat and nuts it's hard to find things with no carbs.

I want to try making something called cloud bread. It's egg whites and cream cheese, like a marangue (sp?), but apparently you let them sit in a bag overnight and they get chewy and more like bread.

The thing is I need to lose twice as much as I've lost, and it's hard to stick to the no carb thing right now. I'm busy, so I'm on the road, and like I said I really like potatoes. And popcorn.

I tried the low carb thing, couldn't handle it. It is a requirement that I eat bread and I enjoy the occasional beer or bourbon. As a result, no carb for me is a no go. It's why I switched to calorie counting. It is a pain initially, but now I am used to it. The best thing is, if I really am craving a beer, I eat accordingly so that I can have that beer. One of my good buddies can't stand calorie counting but has no problem on a keto diet (his big craves are beef and bacon), so that is what he goes with. At the end of the day, science has shown that it is Calories In < Calories Out is all you need to lose weight. You could go on an all twinkie diet (a university professor/researcher actually did this) and lose weight, lower your bad cholesterol, raise your good cholesterol and lower your triglicerides. That being said, the twinkie diet is not good for you long term. That high of an intake of processed foods is likely to increase cancer risks, malnutrition risks due to incomplete profiles of vitamins and minerals, etc. Recent scientific studies have throw a lot of confusion into what was the previously accepted theories, things like fats are inherently bad (its not, dietary fat is metabolized first then converted into either energy or back into fat), cholesterol is inherently bad (it's metabolized first, just like fat), starvation mode (it doesn't exist), etc. It has been really interesting to read the studies that have been coming out. There is a lot more direct science going on now, due to a variety of reasons. Many studies were previously done via surveys and what not, this allowed them to get huge population sizes but we have learned that ppl tend to lie on surveys and they are horrible at estimating calories. Now we are seeing more controlled feeding experiments which while harder to do, show much more concrete data.

On the note of watching calories, if you LIKE popcorn, go with plain unbuttered popcorn. If you like potato chips, go with baked potato chips. Also, get your self a huge bag and partion the bag out into ziplock bags of a suitable size. You still eat the "whole bag" so your mind gets satisfied AND you get the chips/popcorn you want, without sacrificing the calories. It requires a bit of planning in advance but you will get used to it.

catmanjack
05-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Sorry if this was talked about but I have thought about taking up biking to get in shape.
What are the thoughts on biking.
Good bikes?
Enjoyment?

CitizenBBN
05-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Sorry if this was talked about but I have thought about taking up biking to get in shape.
Good bikes?
Enjoyment?

It's a great idea unless you are on roads I'm on and slows me down getting to appointments. ;)

CitizenBBN
05-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Pedro, I agree it's just mostly lowering calories, and no doubt what works for one person won't work for another, esp if it goes against their core eating preferences.

Low carb isn't easy for me, but it's easier than others. I like nuts, I like meat, I like cheese. Also, I love vegetables and this plan forces me to eat a lot more veggies than I would by just running and grabbing. that's the biggest benefit IMO, I force myself to make a salad instead of stopping for stuff at fast food.

I also need to clean off the treadmill.

catmanjack
05-03-2016, 07:50 PM
CBBN are you a biker?
Any tips?

It's a great idea unless you are on roads I'm on and slows me down getting to appointments. ;)

PedroDaGr8
05-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Good bikes?
Enjoyment?

CBBN are you a biker?
Any tips?

I think he is implying that bikers slow him down. Not that he is a biker himself.

badrose
05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Just a heads-up: Probiotics are wonderful.

blueboss
05-05-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm stuck on 217....no big deal, other than it looks like I'll miss my 215 goal. 16 months ago I weighed a little over 245, so I'm doing okay.

When my machine went down I didn't exercise consistently or regularly for about a month. Now that I'm back in business my schedule has gotten so hectic I'm struggling getting back into my routine.

Will be interesting to see how my weight gets along with two weeks on the beach.

Darrell KSR
05-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Still at 230+. This morning it was 231.6, in fact.

Have eaten hit or miss. Half the days recently I've eaten well, the other half, from not-so-good to terrible. I ran 5-1/2 miles (well, 3+ miles at lunch, 2-1/2 miles that night) Monday, 4 miles Tuesday, took yesterday off, and walked 1-1/2 miles today while waiting on my son's doctor's appointment (they have an indoor track there for physical therapy, so we got there early, and I walked while we waited). I intend to go run 3 miles tonight.

I'm hoping that over the next couple of weeks that improves my metabolism some, and curbs my appetite more, which exercise--and drinking water--tends to do for me. It's a whole process kind of thing. But the reason I'm not losing weight is simple. I'm not sustaining anything.

Darrell KSR
05-05-2016, 06:06 PM
What is this Sweat Gutr you speak of?

I seem to remember mention of it. I hate having my ear buds in and sweat going in my ears.

Oh I did order me a Sweat Gutr should have it in a few days.

Man, I hope you like the Sweat Gutr. I should have cautioned you, I missed the sentence above where you talked about hating to have sweat go in your EARS.

I hope it works for you, but I don't think keeping sweat out of the EARS is the target concept. Basically, the "gutter" part funnels the sweat that ordinarily pours down your face to the side of your face. I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I kind of like it. It's cooling when it is channeled back to your temple.

Now, it doesn't go in my ears, but most of the sweat gutr is just silicone--it isn't absorbent, it deflects. So I'm not sure that it will deflect sweat that comes straight down the side of your head into your ears anywhere other than where it usually goes.

Take a look at the image again, and you can see the "gutter" part--to me, that's 99.9% of what it does--keeps sweat out of your eyes, nose and face. I sometimes run with contacts; I occasionally run with glasses. I hate getting sweat in my eyes and my contacts and eyes burning; and I hate getting sweat on my glasses lenses when I run with them. This has been terrific--for that.

I may have to buy yours as a third one for me if you don't like it. I do love mine. My shirt gets soaked with sweat, and I have no hair to stop sweat from the top of my head, and this works like a charm. Keeping one in the console of my car, and one in my gym bag keeps it around at any time I exercise.

Darrell KSR
05-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Oh--if you do use the Sweat Gutr, remember to always rinse it immediately after use. I think the sweat crystals/salt will eat away at the silicone if you just let it dry like that. When I'm at the gym, I take it to the shower and just rinse it off there; when I'm outside, I'll either take a water bottle and rinse it before I get back in the car, or if I'm at the park, there's a water fountain I run it through thoroughly.

My oldest one has become a little dingy from wearing it so much in the sun, but it works great still. That's my "outdoor" one.

Darrell KSR
05-05-2016, 06:10 PM
-28 is fantastic. Keep up the great work.

I'm stuck on 217....no big deal, other than it looks like I'll miss my 215 goal. 16 months ago I weighed a little over 245, so I'm doing okay.

When my machine went down I didn't exercise consistently or regularly for about a month. Now that I'm back in business my schedule has gotten so hectic I'm struggling getting back into my routine.

Will be interesting to see how my weight gets along with two weeks on the beach.

PedroDaGr8
05-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Down to 271.3lbs, a LOT more to go. I had a decent day in the gym today. Hit a new high of 225lbs deadlift (that felt damn good), also hit 200lbs on my squat, though I failed on overhead press at 105. Adding protein supplements to my diet has been quite helpful in maintaing my gains in the gym, even though I am losing weight.

catmanjack
05-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Wow just picked up on that lol!

I think he is implying that bikers slow him down. Not that he is a biker himself.

blueboss
05-05-2016, 08:37 PM
-28 is fantastic. Keep up the great work.

Ain't all that great, four months ago I was at 235. So you can see I go up and down, the key is to never gain more than 10lbs back from my low weight.

My goal over the rest of the year is to not get over 225. Obviously I would like to continue the downward trend, but two weeks of vacation is usually good for adding 5 lbs.

I am going to try and stay more disciplined the rest of the year going into the eating season, which for me starts around Halloween.

blueboss
05-06-2016, 04:56 PM
215.5!!! I think it's fools gold though, I'll see what tomorrow's weigh in is. Oh, by the way I got my Sweat Gutr!!

PedroDaGr8
05-09-2016, 11:08 AM
215.5!!! I think it's fools gold though, I'll see what tomorrow's weigh in is. Oh, by the way I got my Sweat Gutr!!

Wow did your subsequent weight ins go? I'm now down at 269.6 today! Yesterday at the gym was DAMN hard, felt no energy in my legs for some reason. Hope eating more veggies will help me to better recover.

Darrell KSR
05-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Eaten poorly for awhile. Last week alone had youngest daughter's birthday, sister in law and nephew in town, mother's day, you name it, every excuse in the books. This week I have daughter birthday #1, rehearsal dinner for long time friend's daughter, soccer banquet, wedding reception sit down dinner, golf team party, show choir pot luck dinner and probably some fast food there. I'm going to work hard to limit things this week, but next week is when I will get ultra serious on the diet.

blueboss
05-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Wow did your subsequent weight ins go? I'm now down at 269.6 today! Yesterday at the gym was DAMN hard, felt no energy in my legs for some reason. Hope eating more veggies will help me to better recover.

I came in at 216.4 yesterday. I find those "damn hard" exercise days are the ones that I make sure and finish. I actually didn't exercise much this weekend but had tons of yard work to get done before leaving for two weeks.

Tomorrow morning will be my official weigh in before leaving on vacation. Two weeks of limited exercise and dieting non-existent. I'm guessing a five lb swing...

CitizenBBN
05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Wow just picked up on that lol!

:)

Yeah I'm far too out of shape and lazy to ride a bike, or walk very far. In the Keys i walk everywhere, here I am thinking about getting an electric cart thing to get from the couch to the fridge.

blueboss
05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
When I left this morning I was at 217 flat. Pretty amazing considering over the last two weeks of sensible eating and regular exercise I fluctuated between 215 and 217.7. I think a lot of it has to do with salt intake and water retention, as well as some medications I take that may have an effect on liquid retention.

Anyway missed my goal by two lbs ...all in all not too shabby.

Today traveling we ate lunch at the Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle TN, if you're trying to watch your weight "DO NOT" go there. That was followed by AL BBQ for dinner.

That will be my over eat day for the next week or so.

Darrell KSR
05-11-2016, 11:40 AM
When I left this morning I was at 217 flat. Pretty amazing considering over the last two weeks of sensible eating and regular exercise I fluctuated between 215 and 217.7. I think a lot of it has to do with salt intake and water retention, as well as some medications I take that may have an effect on liquid retention.

Anyway missed my goal by two lbs ...all in all not too shabby.

Today traveling we ate lunch at the Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle TN, if you're trying to watch your weight "DO NOT" go there. That was followed by AL BBQ for dinner.

That will be my over eat day for the next week or so.

Good for you.

I am finding, for the first time in my life, that it's not easy dropping weight. I'm not trying hard yet, but in the past, it was easy. Sort of watch what I eat a little, run to the gym 2-3 times a week, and -2 pounds a week as a result.

I do that now, and I'm stagnant.

Have to get serious with the calorie counting, number one, then an exercise plan. I like exercising, running and playing basketball. So just making time for it is the only thing.

bigsky
05-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Up 5 lbs. Stressful

blueboss
05-14-2016, 03:21 PM
My FitBit took a dunk in the ocean today....Looks like it might time for a new FitBit.

Darrell KSR
05-14-2016, 05:03 PM
My Fitbit syncs terribly with my phone. It will sync, just not when I do it manually. I like being able to see progress when I am running, so that's a bummer, but it works so I can't justify buying another.

catmanjack
05-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I was told I looked like I lost weight, must be that dang stressful job!!!

Darrell KSR
05-16-2016, 10:38 AM

Weddings and birthdays don't help, but I guess I can always find an excuse.

PedroDaGr8
05-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I hate plateus. That is all.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 01:49 PM
2-1/2 miles at the gym last night, then rode a bicycle a few more miles. Loading up my gym bag to carry after a phone call in 45 minutes to repeat today.

suncat05
05-18-2016, 03:50 PM
I started walking around the neighborhood about six weeks ago. Started short and have worked up to 3 miles at least 5 times a week.
When I began this I weighed 248 lbs. As of today I am down to 231 lbs.
I have my annual physical coming up at the VA next month. My last two physicals have been okay, but they keep telling me that my A1C is borderline high, that my bad cholesterol is just a tad high and my good cholesterol is just a tad low.
I'm tired of hearing it already.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Great job, suncat! -17 pounds is outstanding. I knew some of you must be losing what I'm gaining...

Darrell KSR
05-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Two days in a row at the gym. Yay me. But even with running 6 miles on a treadmill (total) the last two days, I do not have 10,000 steps either day. Did I tell you how sedentary I am normally?

Darrell KSR
05-19-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm really perplexed. I'm still gaining weight, even though I have started adding doing late night grocery shopping at Walmart so I can get more steps in walking around the bakery section. I don't know why I'm not losing weight. 5553

Darrell KSR
05-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Ok - so I just tried Slim fast, French vanilla. Disgustingly sweet. I'm all for trying this for breakfast or some snack instead of cookies but I can't drink it this sweet.

Cut the powder? More skim milk? Add water? More ice?

I would prefer not to add anything that would require a blender. If I can't toss it in one of my three blender bottles, it ain't happening. Gotta. Be. Easy. Or. I. Won't. Do. It.

PedroDaGr8
05-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Ok - so I just tried Slim fast, French vanilla. Disgustingly sweet. I'm all for trying this for breakfast or some snack instead of cookies but I can't drink it this sweet.

Cut the powder? More skim milk? Add water? More ice?

I would prefer not to add anything that would require a blender. If I can't toss it in one of my three blender bottles, it ain't happening. Gotta. Be. Easy. Or. I. Won't. Do. It.

Get some unflavored whey protein concentrate or isolate and mix them half and half. It will cut the sweetness while still giving you a healthy protein rich breakfast. I recently tried the MusclePharm Cookies and Creme Protein Powder. The stuff is crazy sweet, it tastes like liquefied cookies and creme ice cream. When I am looking for normal, I cut it with another protein source not so sweet, when I want a desert I drink it straight.

Also, still frustratingly not losing weight. I know I just have to ride it out because I can feel in my clothes that I am losing fat. Just not on the scale, my goal was to hit 240lbs by mid-Aug but that is starting to appear to be not possible if this plateu keeps going.

blueboss
05-20-2016, 08:48 AM
We're heading home tomorrow, and I'm a little scared to see what may return weigh in yields. I feel like I've gained more than just a couple of pounds.

We'll see Saturday night or Sunday morning....

Darrell KSR
05-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Get some unflavored whey protein concentrate or isolate and mix them half and half. It will cut the sweetness while still giving you a healthy protein rich breakfast. I recently tried the MusclePharm Cookies and Creme Protein Powder. The stuff is crazy sweet, it tastes like liquefied cookies and creme ice cream. When I am looking for normal, I cut it with another protein source not so sweet, when I want a desert I drink it straight.

Also, still frustratingly not losing weight. I know I just have to ride it out because I can feel in my clothes that I am losing fat. Just not on the scale, my goal was to hit 240lbs by mid-Aug but that is starting to appear to be not possible if this plateu keeps going.
Great suggestions, Pedro. I will try that.

I tried something today that worked pretty well. I poured a half a cup of coffee and crushed ice and mixed it in with the Slim-Fast. It also cut the sweetness, and made it sort of an iced coffee. I like your suggestion better, but this one will also work for me.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Also, I am confident you are doing well. I actually like feeling it in my clothes first, as that has a comfort feeling to me as it progresses that stays with you all day. Keep up the good work, and don't be discouraged by a number.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2016, 09:18 AM
We're heading home tomorrow, and I'm a little scared to see what may return weigh in yields. I feel like I've gained more than just a couple of pounds.

Be safe, and remember you were on vacation no matter what.

PedroDaGr8
05-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Great suggestions, Pedro. I will try that.

I tried something today that worked pretty well. I poured a half a cup of coffee and crushed ice and mixed it in with the Slim-Fast. It also cut the sweetness, and made it sort of an iced coffee. I like your suggestion better, but this one will also work for me.

That actually sounds really good, if I hadn't quit caffeine I would have likely done that sometimes; making my protein with coffee.

Also, I am confident you are doing well. I actually like feeling it in my clothes first, as that has a comfort feeling to me as it progresses that stays with you all day. Keep up the good work, and don't be discouraged by a number.

yeah I know. It has been about a week of me hovering. I know I am on the right path but it takes time. I am sure eventually the plateu will break and I will be good to go. It doesn't help that I have modified my work out to be a bit more full body encompassing (which has been making me sore). Plus water weight (had some salty soup recently) and I imagine that is mostly what this is.

Remember if you have been eating salty foods, you will carry at least a few pounds of water weight. Don't trust the number until you have had a couple of days to return to your normal diet and shed the water weight.

PedroDaGr8
05-22-2016, 09:07 AM
A reminder to not eat back all of the estimated calories burned by your fitness tracker. While most calculate number of steps quite well, they tend to be far off estimating calories with most estimating 40-70% too high.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

Eating back the calories can really mess with your CICO balance.

Darrell KSR
05-22-2016, 11:07 AM
A reminder to not eat back all of the estimated calories burned by your fitness tracker. While most calculate number of steps quite well, they tend to be far off estimating calories with most estimating 40-70% too high.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

Eating back the calories can really mess with your CICO balance.

I couldn't even figure out what my fitness tracker was telling me on the calories, so I always ignore it. It allows me to move the categories around on my display (maybe delete it--I'll have to check), so I just move it to the bottom, off the phone screen unless I scroll down. (I THINK it tries to adjust how many calories I can eat based on my activities and my input of desire to lose weight at a certain rate per page. You know me by now--that's too complicated. I like SIMPLE, so I ignore it. Plus when I look at it, it changes during the day, and I think it's crap that it tells me I'm ahead or behind of where I should be calorie-wise at a particular moment during the day. That might work for some people, but it's noise to me and I don't want to see it.) Reading that story, I'm very happy with my decision to ignore it, since it's likely way, way wrong anyway. Good.

It's pretty easy for me. I know I always want to be under 2,000 calories, and preferably in the 1500 calorie range when I am trying to lose weight. I don't mine going up to 1700ish, especially if I exercise. Yesterday I ran 3.5+ miles and the treadmill claimed it burned 600 calories at my weight, which I input at 232, although I last weighed over 234. I "feel" I am less than that; it was a bad weighing. Anyway, inputting everything yesterday for my calories, even allowing dinner at a bad place at Steak-N-Shake (burger, onion rings, no shake or drink), I was in the 1700's calories wise. That's a good day for me. I'm going to try real hard to kick-start this diet thing for about two weeks, using the Slim-Fast to get it started.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2016, 07:50 AM
So yesterday afternoon I decided it was a good time to go for an old man's run before the weather gets too hot to do this in an afternoon. I turned on my Runtastic Pro app to keep me company.

I finished and it asked me to take a selfie, so I did. Little did I realize the app wanted to mock me... 5556

Darrell KSR
05-23-2016, 07:57 AM
In all seriousness, I was watching a woman jog on a path that intersected mine. I thought, "gee, she's going slow." she turned onto my path behind me, and passed me in no time. I really am slow.

At the gym I "run" at 4.5 mph for 4 or 5 minutes, then walk at 3.6 for 1, if I'm feeling good. If not I drop it to a 3 to 1 ratio. I like to pretend it is an assist to turnover ratio. Yesterday was about the same, I guess, 3 miles in 42 minutes. It sucks being old and overweight.

PedroDaGr8
05-23-2016, 12:13 PM
In all seriousness, I was watching a woman jog on a path that intersected mine. I thought, "gee, she's going slow." she turned onto my path behind me, and passed me in no time. I really am slow.

At the gym I "run" at 4.5 mph for 4 or 5 minutes, then walk at 3.6 for 1, if I'm feeling good. If not I drop it to a 3 to 1 ratio. I like to pretend it is an assist to turnover ratio. Yesterday was about the same, I guess, 3 miles in 42 minutes. It sucks being old and overweight.

Slow is better than not at all. That's what they stressed in C25K, that slow is better than fast if you want to get a good cardio workout.

Finally my plateu broke and I dropped 5lbs in 2 days. That puts me right back on the same curve as before.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Finally my plateu broke and I dropped 5lbs in 2 days. That puts me right back on the same curve as before.

Nice!

blueboss
05-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Well, I'm back to work after two weeks of R&R at the beach. I weighed in this morning at 222.1, which is a 5.1 lb increase from two weeks ago tomorrow.

Since my official weigh in day is Tuesday, I'm going to see what it is tomorrow. I've got a lot of yard work to catch up on so that'll be my exercise for the next couple of evenings and then it's back to the machine 5/wk for :40:00.

5lbs is pretty typical for me adding back...at the time it just seemed like I was gaining more, so I'm pleased to see my average weight gain.

Darrell KSR
05-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Refraining from weighing in, hoping to have some good news. I know I'm starving with these two Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast & lunch, with a small banana in between (2x) a day. I'm eating what I want for dinner, not following their "500 calorie" or whatever plan, but think/hope the Slim-Fast plan is helping, along with a pretty good regimented exercise workout most of the days during the week. I don't want to see 0.6 pound lost; I want to see 5-10 pounds. I need progress.

blueboss
05-25-2016, 07:19 PM
My official weigh in day (Tuesday) held at 222. I pinged between 222, and 221.

I'll need to get back to exercising if I want to continue trying to lose weight.

I'm back to my usual daily diet, fresh fruit and plain yogurt for breakfast, a Nature Valley and beverage for lunch, and what ever I want for dinner.

The key for me is staying away from crazy desserts, and snacking around at night.

Right now I'm eating the rest of the Chilton Co strawberries in the form of strawberry shortcake (yikes!!).

I figure to be back on the machine starting Sunday. 40 minutes five days/week.

We'll see gotta work off the damn strawberries.

PedroDaGr8
05-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Officially hit 264.8 today, which means I am down 30.2lbs. Did a deload on squat recently to focus on my form. My form was getting a bit off and I felt like I needed to get back to that. Slowly getting back up again, did deadlift 240lbs the other day which was HARD as hell but fun. The best part is, I am gaining muscle at the same time I am losing weight. This means I am actually losing fat at an even faster rate!

Darrell KSR
05-27-2016, 12:51 PM
228.4 today. Have dropped 5 pounds, or 4.6, depending on when it started.

Went one week on the Slim-Fast diet-ish. Breakfast and lunch for the last 8 days have been Slim-Fast shakes. I must be not rounding off the scoops enough, or they give extra, because the cannister I bought was supposed to make 14 shakes and I still have a little left.

I'm going to take a short break from it - frankly, I'm sick of them - but then resume.

Have ran 5 of the last 7 days, minimum 2.5 miles. Yesterday ran 2.6 at 4 pm, 90 degrees outside, and that's all I could do. My son has soccer tryouts next week and he'll be in the heat six times, so he and I went to get acclimated to the heat. I figured if I could handle it, he would be ok.

It's a start.

blueboss
05-27-2016, 09:35 PM
222 and holding

Darrell KSR
05-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Slim-Fast rich chocolate Royale shake mix isn't bad. Not too sweet. After 14 shakes of the French vanilla in 8 days, this is a welcome change.

Darrell KSR
05-28-2016, 09:32 PM
2.5 miles this morning, then ran 2.5 miles outside this afternoon while boys were practicing soccer.

PedroDaGr8
05-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Missed going to the gym today, though it was Saturday. Not Sunday when the gym closes early. Oh well, no big loss. Weighed myself this morning and I was down to 262.6lbs. Now this is likely mostly water weight from sweating like a demon yesterday and I expect to gain most of it back over the next couple days. Would be nice if it's real.

Darrell KSR
05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Up to 230.8.

Gained 2 pounds over the weekend. Ran 8 miles, Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast and lunch, banana mid morning and mid afternoon.

Dinner/after destroyed the day. Two beers Friday night. Greek chicken pasta dish, desserts, cheeses Friday night, Wings and BBQ sauce and fries Saturday night, with chips later, and Sunday more Greek chicken pasta, cheese and crackers, and two nutri grain bars. But I've eaten worse, so it is disheartening, even though I know that wasn't good to eat.

I have to stop my obsession with daily weighing too.

blueboss
05-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Tuesday's weigh in had me at 221.4, I got on the scale Saturday and was 219.2.

Interestingly enough I haven't really done much since vacation in the way of diet or exercise. I simply have not had the time to exercise, but have have been running crazy with chores and errands and I suppose that's helped.

I'd like to get close to 215 by the 4th of July so I imagine I'm going to have to get some discipline and start regular exercise.

blueboss
06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm still a lazy bas$@&$d and have not got back in the exercise groove. My Tuesday weigh in had me at 221.2, so I guess I'm staving off weight gain with outdoor activity, and limited junk food forages.

Moderation I suppose seems to be working..

Oh well, off to mow the lawn that'll be my exercise for today, followed by icy cold watermelon.

PedroDaGr8
06-08-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm still a lazy bas$@&$d and have not got back in the exercise groove. My Tuesday weigh in had me at 221.2, so I guess I'm staving off weight gain with outdoor activity, and limited junk food forages.

Moderation I suppose seems to be working..

Oh well, off to mow the lawn that'll be my exercise for today, followed by icy cold watermelon.

If you are watching your diet, that is all you need to do to maintain or lose weight. You don't get the other health benefits of working out though.

Darrell KSR
06-11-2016, 04:38 PM
5.6 miles today on the treadmill.

CitizenBBN
06-11-2016, 09:41 PM
I walked today. To a bar for burgers and beer. I feel really healthy now. Or fat and buzzed, I get those two confused.

blueboss
06-14-2016, 09:45 AM
I'm going backwards, at least with being active. I got my Tuesday Fitbit update and I didn't even average 4K steps/day last week. I was averaging closer to 8k/day with minimal exercise, and 10k/day with exercise 5 days/wk.

Good news is I'm staying right around 222ish, with little exercise.

My biggest excuse for not exercising is lack of time. I've had to be somewhere after work every day for the last three weeks... Or so it seems. I've never been a later in the night (past 8:00) exerciser.

I really need to start at least attempting to try and get back inti some type of routine.

Darrell KSR
06-14-2016, 01:24 PM
I've been more active in the last couple of weeks, and that has helped.

Took yesterday off, but will be back with it. It is helping that my son is in his "summer training" mode, so I can get some exercise when he does. Our schedules don't always mesh, but it has helped.

"Down" to 227.0. That's not nearly enough, but it's the lowest it's been in awhile. Hopefully I can push it lower. If I can get it under 220, that will be a mental breakthrough to me of sorts.

blueboss
06-14-2016, 06:01 PM
I've been more active in the last couple of weeks, and that has helped.

Took yesterday off, but will be back with it. It is helping that my son is in his "summer training" mode, so I can get some exercise when he does. Our schedules don't always mesh, but it has helped.

"Down" to 227.0. That's not nearly enough, but it's the lowest it's been in awhile. Hopefully I can push it lower. If I can get it under 220, that will be a mental breakthrough to me of sorts.

That's great!! Sounds like you've been putting in the work and it looks like it's starting to pay off. Minus three lbs in two weeks ain't too shabby.

I just need to get disciplined and get started back in my routine. I'm hoping you'll provide me some motivation.

MickintheHam
06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Darrell, on a healthy note, there is a great restaurant that Kingseve took me to today over close to your estate. It is Eli's Jerusalem Restaurant. Heavy mediterranean influence. It is in Inverness behind the Wendy's on 280 right next door to salvatore's

Darrell KSR
06-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Darrell, on a healthy note, there is a great restaurant that Kingseve took me to today over close to your estate. It is Eli's Jerusalem Restaurant. Heavy mediterranean influence. It is in Inverness behind the Wendy's on 280 right next door to salvatore's

I'll have to try that, Mick. I'm next door to it most Saturday nights (Ixtapa). We need a healthy change.

PedroDaGr8
06-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Down to 252.3 which puts be at 42.7 lbs lost so far. THinking about working some running back into my workout now that I am at a lighter weight. The stress on my joints was getting to be too much at the heavier weight so Istopped.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Down to 252.3 which puts be at 42.7 lbs lost so far. THinking about working some running back into my workout now that I am at a lighter weight. The stress on my joints was getting to be too much at the heavier weight so Istopped.
That. Is. Fantastic. Great work, Pedro.

PedroDaGr8
06-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Reached 250.0 this morning upon weight in. This hits my first target, that was the bare minimum I wanted to lose before August. Ideally I wanted to reach 240.0 before August and I MIGHT be able to do it.

blueboss
06-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Reached 250.0 this morning upon weight in. This hits my first target, that was the bare minimum I wanted to lose before August. Ideally I wanted to reach 240.0 before August and I MIGHT be able to do it.

Great job!!

I'm still sitting on 222, I've seen as low as 218 but always balance back out to 222. Good news is I'm really not doing much in the way of diet or exercise, just yard work and such.

bigsky
06-30-2016, 05:21 AM
Cant get below 185--it's alkyhol.

Walking 4.1 miles every am, at a sub 15 minute/mile pace

Had a woman say to me last week, "I remember the fit Jeff Krauss, what the h have you been eating?"

blueboss
07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Cant get below 185--it's alkyhol.

Walking 4.1 miles every am, at a sub 15 minute/mile pace

Had a woman say to me last week, "I remember the fit Jeff Krauss, what the h have you been eating?"

185? Man I'd settle for 205. 185 is outstanding!!

Darrell KSR
07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
227.2 this morning after two weeks of eating poorly and no exercise.

PedroDaGr8
07-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Was down at 249.3 last Friday, then 4th of July weekend visiting family and friends hit. This meant lots of salt-ladden high calorie foods with my family and good beer with friends. I tried to eat moderately carefully, but for sure two days I went well over my limit. This overage was mainly due to the beer with friends; dark beer has a LOT of calories. Additionally, the salt meant really heavy water retention.

The end result? Post weekend I weighed 255.7 lbs. Now I know it was physically impossible to gain that much weight in fat, in that time frame, so it was likely water retention from the salty food. Sure enough, by today I'm back down to 249.6. So around 0.5 lbs gained this weekend, if I include the weight lost from the last two days of dieting. That seems reasonable, based on the amount I estimate I went over.

blueboss
07-08-2016, 12:17 AM
223.6 I'm going the wrong way. The number of sedentary days is starting to surpass the active days.

I need to get motivated and get back to exercising at least 3 days/wk..

Darrell KSR
07-08-2016, 06:56 AM
No idea what this week is doing. I'm sweating like crazy, decent steps per day in sweltering heat, but eating poorly, as you would expect on vacation. Drinking tons of water. I have almost two quarts with me that get refilled during the day as I consume them. But eating may be destroying all of it. I'm rooting for a wash.

KSRBEvans
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
^I don't worry about what I eat when I'm on vacation. (May be 1 reason why I'm still where I am.)

When I go to Disney I eat basically whatever I want and usually stay even. I think it's the massive amount of walking. For example, my average walking day at home is around 11,000 steps. One day at Epcot I walked over 19,000.

Darrell KSR
07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
^I don't worry about what I eat when I'm on vacation. (May be 1 reason why I'm still where I am.)

When I go to Disney I eat basically whatever I want and usually stay even. I think it's the massive amount of walking. For example, my average walking day at home is around 11,000 steps. One day at Epcot I walked over 19,000.
I'll go with that theory. The heat of the day hasn't hit yet, and it is currently 107 on the heat index as I melt, so my brain cells aren't working well either.

PedroDaGr8
07-08-2016, 06:52 PM

I eat healthy normally so that i can enjoy the times when I am on vacation and can go crazy. I plan on eating well when I go travel in August. My gf has already compiled a list of things to eat in Saigon and Da Lat.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2016, 11:35 PM

Yup...

blueboss
07-10-2016, 09:41 AM
2 week vacation = 4-5 lbs, but I don't worry about calories and what I'm eating.

What's troubling to me is I usually hang around the same weight through the summer, this year I'm starting to creep up, I was at 224 this morning.

Back to the machine starting today. I'd like to get back to where I was before vacation in May (216-217). I'm not too far out of shape with all the summer activity the problem is there is no consistency/routine. I've got to get a regular routine going.

Basically I have to quit being lazy... Go figure!

Darrell KSR
07-10-2016, 08:02 PM
More than 40k steps the last two days. Will weigh Tuesday morning. I feel heavy.

PedroDaGr8
07-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Banggood has the MiBand 2 on sale for $36 shipped. Contrary to what I expected, prices have gone through the ROOF on the MiBand 2. It was pre-ordering at $38. Prices are now running in the upper forties to fifties. Pretty much ALL of the reviews foor this

http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Miband-2-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Bluetooth-Smart-Bracelet-p-1057324.html

Use coupon code miband27 to knock $10 off bring the price down to $36.

Darrell KSR
07-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Disappointing. But I really don't like wearing wristbands anyway, so I guess it's ok. Glad the product seems as good as advertised.

Darrell KSR
07-12-2016, 07:16 AM
230.8. Uggh. I ate terribly, but was hoping against hope walking and sweating would counter it.

blueboss
07-14-2016, 04:42 PM
223.4 Tuesday. I did start getting back in exercise shape, I'll be up to 10 minutes by the start of next week, hopefully 20 minutes by the end of next week. Then it's 40 minutes five days a week.

Darrell KSR
07-20-2016, 09:42 AM
225.0. May have had a "heavy" weigh-in when I returned, and a light one today, but pleased nonetheless.

blueboss
07-29-2016, 10:41 PM
I'm still hanging between 222-223, I'm finally back in cardio shape and should start 30 minutes/day five days/week workouts starting Sunday

PedroDaGr8
07-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Just signed in at 239.4 this morning. A nice drop after being plateud for a week. This hits my real goal of 240 for my trip about two weeks early. I don't think I'll hit my stretch goal of 230,but that's ok. I got my main goal.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
07-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Dropped to 222.0, but back to 225.2 this morning.

PedroDaGr8
07-31-2016, 05:57 PM
By the way, if you get ice cream cravings a lot. There are a lot of ultra low calorie ice creams out now. Artic Zero (found at WalMart) is the easiest to find but the least quality, Halo Top can be found at most Krogers I think and tastes MUCH better. They tend to run 150-300 calories a PINT (instead of 4x that much a pint on average).

PedroDaGr8
08-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Damn costco rotisserie chicken is a good deal. I get the pre-separated stuff that is only $4 a pound. Incredibly tender and tasty. If you don't want the pre-separated stuff, the whole chicken is only $5. Makes for excellent low calorie high protein food. 6oz chicken 240 cal, 44g protein. Also, thousand island dressing mixed with Sriracha makes an amazing dipping sauce

I'm still pushing, down in the 237 range this morning.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Up to 227.2. This is ridiculous. And part of the reason I am breaking down and trying to get in to see the doctor.

blueboss
08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Hanging at 223-224. Got strep throat and backed off exercise. Strep drains every ounce of energy you have, all while your throats on fire.

Should get back to exercise starting again tomorrow. Could actually make a run at it tonight but I'm lazy.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2016, 10:30 AM
227.0, 32.1% BMI, 49.5% water

PedroDaGr8
08-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Tried out the Costco Protein bars, they are basically the Kirkland version of Quest bars. They are quite good and at about 30% of the price of a quest bar, they are WELL worth it. I am down to the 234 range today. Offically 61lbs down from my high (my stubborn hard-headedness is good for something!)

PedroDaGr8
08-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Let's do a facial comparison of what losing 60lbs does to your face. You guys get to see what I look like, since I don't think anyone here ever has.

Before: http://i.imgur.com/hYH46fc.jpg
After: http://i.imgur.com/g5XHBbC.jpg

Darrell KSR
08-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Pedro, that's terrific. Very inspiring.

blueboss
08-12-2016, 12:24 AM
Wow! You look like you even feel a lot better... With all due respect of course.

Congratulations!!

bigsky
08-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Let's do a facial comparison of what losing 60lbs does to your face. You guys get to see what I look like, since I don't think anyone here ever has. Before: http://i.imgur.com/hYH46fc.jpg After: http://i.imgur.com/g5XHBbC.jpg Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk Incredible and inspiring!

Darrell KSR
08-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Good article that reinforces a lot of what Pedro has suggested in this thread.

Five common weight loss mistakes -

http://lifehacker.com/five-of-the-most-common-mistakes-people-make-when-tryin-1785471016

blueboss
08-24-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm kind of stuck at the 223-224 mark. I have started back on my 45/day 5days/week routine. I've been at it just over three weeks so it's kind of disheartening to still be stuck. One thing that makes me feel better about the whole thing is I'm not really doing in sort of dieting. I'm more in a weight management mode than a weight loss mode.

The five things article rings true for me, the biggest one for me is don't try everything at once.

I think once I throw in some eating habit changes I'll get back to dropping a lb or two a week.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm stuck at 223.8, with zero exercise in forever.

I'm going to focus the next few weeks on improving my water drinking. I check my water weight percentage many mornings, and it is usually around 49%. I don't think that's bad, but I bet if I added more water it would help my diet, my metabolism, skin, overall health, etc.

blueboss
09-22-2016, 07:12 PM
I've got too much going and have had for the last two months...or I'm just lazy. Anyway I'm bouncing around the 223-225 mark still. After I get back from out west the first of Oct. I need to get back to exercise and diet. We'll see.

PedroDaGr8
09-22-2016, 08:29 PM
I am right around 230 right now. Slowly creeping down as I eased up on my diet a bit now that the trip is done. Goal weight is still the same, I was doing some calculations and I MIGHT be able to hit a healthy BMI for the first time since I was 15 by Christmas, it will be close and if I don't hit it at chirstmas for sure it won't be until around Feb because I don't diet at Christmas time.

Darrell KSR
09-23-2016, 01:11 PM
I am right around 230 right now. Slowly creeping down as I eased up on my diet a bit now that the trip is done. Goal weight is still the same, I was doing some calculations and I MIGHT be able to hit a healthy BMI for the first time since I was 15 by Christmas, it will be close and if I don't hit it at chirstmas for sure it won't be until around Feb because I don't diet at Christmas time.
You've done wonderfully.

PedroDaGr8
10-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Down to 225.8 today.

Slowly pushing up my running times. Did 5min run, 3min walk, 5min run, 3min walk, 5 min run recently (week 5 of Couch To 5K). I was putting it off because I felt like I couldn't do it (just repeating week 4). Tried it and actually did it and felt great. I am still slow as can be with a 10:00-10:30 min/mile run time, but I am getting my stamina up there. When I started this journey, running for 1 min straight was hard and I felt winded. Now, I am slowly getting better.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm at 225.2 this morning. Slightly up.

Bought a book two days ago called

The Perfect Metabolism Plan: Restore Your Energy and Reach Your Ideal Weight

I have suspected my metabolism is all messed up for a long time. I watched calories, "ramped up" when I needed to, and exercised diligently for 4 days a week for a lengthy period of time. The weight loss was minimal. I'm not suggesting it's non-existent, but at age 56, I think I need more than just "drop calories, and exercise to increase metabolism."

I just started reading it--I paid only $0.99 for the Kindle edition; the paperback is $13.99. The focus behind the book isn't necessarily weight loss, but more of a holistic health kind of thing, which appeals to me on a number of levels--but the weight loss goal is one of them in the book, and certainly one of mine.

I can't recommend it yet, but the only 10 reviews on it are all 5-star reviews. One of the reviews really sold me on the book, where it talked about them almost *not* buying it because they thought at first it was "just" for weight loss before they discovered it was more, and called it an intelligent analysis of the most current research on how to eat healthy, etc.

The author is Sara Vance. She is a certified nutritionist and the founder of the company Rebalance Life LLC. She is a regular contributor to Fox News Health, San Diego, as well as MindBodyGreen, and eHow. She has worked in collaboration with doctors, taught at schools and community centers, created videos for Gaiam TV (yoga for kids), in addition to seeing individual clients. Website: www.rebalancelife.com. (from the Amazon link)

PedroDaGr8
10-06-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm at 225.2 this morning. Slightly up.

Bought a book two days ago called

The Perfect Metabolism Plan: Restore Your Energy and Reach Your Ideal Weight

I have suspected my metabolism is all messed up for a long time. I watched calories, "ramped up" when I needed to, and exercised diligently for 4 days a week for a lengthy period of time. The weight loss was minimal. I'm not suggesting it's non-existent, but at age 56, I think I need more than just "drop calories, and exercise to increase metabolism."

I just started reading it--I paid only $0.99 for the Kindle edition; the paperback is $13.99. The focus behind the book isn't necessarily weight loss, but more of a holistic health kind of thing, which appeals to me on a number of levels--but the weight loss goal is one of them in the book, and certainly one of mine.

I can't recommend it yet, but the only 10 reviews on it are all 5-star reviews. One of the reviews really sold me on the book, where it talked about them almost *not* buying it because they thought at first it was "just" for weight loss before they discovered it was more, and called it an intelligent analysis of the most current research on how to eat healthy, etc.

The author is Sara Vance. She is a certified nutritionist and the founder of the company Rebalance Life LLC. She is a regular contributor to Fox News Health, San Diego, as well as MindBodyGreen, and eHow. She has worked in collaboration with doctors, taught at schools and community centers, created videos for Gaiam TV (yoga for kids), in addition to seeing individual clients. Website: www.rebalancelife.com. (from the Amazon link)
This will sound weird but have got ever gotten your testosterone levels checked? The lack of energy can be a symptom of that.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 03:30 PM
This will sound weird but have got ever gotten your testosterone levels checked? The lack of energy can be a symptom of that.

I don't think that sounds weird at all, Pedro. I'm getting an insurance exam and will be finally getting a physical that may address some things as well.

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 05:51 PM
If they take them in the morning they may be artificially inflated or if the late afternoon, deflated.
Hope they do multiple tests at different times of the day and believe it or not there are many factors that can mimic Low T and its' symptoms.

Nothing will replace a good physical exam by a competent and caring sawbones.
Mine is a transplanted Alabama lady so she understands southern cooking and its' hold on folks.

Are you taking any kind of a multivitamin?
One with a high concentration of B complex vitamins did wonders for me, although you will pee highlighter yellow, don't freak...

blueboss
10-07-2016, 06:50 AM
Super! For me the thread also serves as motivation. It's nice to see others share in similar struggles/results with diet and exercise whether they're positive or not. Plus for me it also has a bit of an underlying competitive motivation.

I'm one of those up and down guys and it's nice to see I'm not alone. I currently am in one of those lazy slumps where I have more excuses than drive.

Let us know how you're doing, I know I can use all the motivation I can get right now.

PedroDaGr8
10-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Super! For me the thread also serves as motivation. It's nice to see others share in similar struggles/results with diet and exercise whether they're positive or not. Plus for me it also has a bit of an underlying competitive motivation.

I'm one of those up and down guys and it's nice to see I'm not alone. I currently am in one of those lazy slumps where I have more excuses than drive.

Let us know how you're doing, I know I can use all the motivation I can get right now.

You just replied to a Spam bot (notice how he edited your quote to include a link). I tried to report it but the report function errors out.

blueboss
10-07-2016, 11:05 AM
You just replied to a Spam bot (notice how he edited your quote to include a link). I tried to report it but the report function errors out.

I'm an idiot, but I thought I recalled the handle from a while back...🙄

Darrell KSR
10-07-2016, 11:34 AM
No worries.

PedroDaGr8
10-07-2016, 02:12 PM
No worries.

You might want to mention to CBBN that the report post function is broken. It just spins and spins eventually taking the user to a page that says EOF.

PedroDaGr8
10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm down to 216.3lbs! A two week plateu finally broke and I lost a decent amount.

blueboss
10-29-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm down to 216.3lbs! A two week plateu finally broke and I lost a decent amount.

Great job!!!

I'm going backwards 228... UGH!!

Darrell KSR
11-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Up to 229.4, worst in a long time. Think I will try hard the rest of the year rather than wait on a New Year's resolution.

blueboss
11-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Up to 229.4, worst in a long time. Think I will try hard the rest of the year rather than wait on a New Year's resolution.

Same for me at 228. If i don't do anything through the eating season I'll be 240 by New Years.

Darrell KSR
11-26-2016, 08:28 AM

I knew it was going to be bad.

Darrell KSR
12-08-2016, 03:40 PM
232.0. This is ridiculous.

BigBluePappy
12-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Welcome to 232.0, I have been stuck on that number for a WHILE down from about 250-260 a year or so ago.

blueboss
12-08-2016, 07:09 PM
228.6 still... can't get motivated to start exercising.

Doc
07-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Hey, I'm down 10 lbs in the last week!

Weight last Friday was 250, today I'm 240.

That's what happens when you don't eat for a week........ :trink39:

MickintheHam
07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Hey, I'm down 10 lbs in the last week!

Weight last Friday was 250, today I'm 240.

That's what happens when you don't eat for a week........ :trink39:

Geez! There is a much better way to do it!

I missed my monthly target of riding 100 miles last month. I made only 83. I need to get busy, so I don’t miss again in July. I going for 10 miles tonight and 15 tomorrow. Hope I make it.

blueboss
07-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Too funny, my last post from 12/8/2016 has me at 228, here it is 7/2018 and I’m hanging at 220.

Beats a stick in the eye...

Doc
07-09-2018, 02:36 PM
this is the lightest I've been in 15 years. Who needs exercise.

Doc
07-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Down another 3#, to a stealth 237. My Dr been on me for 15 years to lose wt. About time I followed his orders :lmao:

Doc
07-10-2018, 04:28 PM
As an aside....its looks like I don't have cancer!!! Seems they found the answer. I was positive for lupus anticoagulant antiphospholipid syndrome. Of course that was offset by the news that I also have an aortic aneurysm.

Darrell KSR
07-10-2018, 07:39 PM
As an aside....its looks like I don't have cancer!!! Seems they found the answer. I was positive for lupus anticoagulant antiphospholipid syndrome. Of course that was offset by the news that I also have an aortic aneurysm.Geez. Man, you are having it rough, but take the good news when you can, I guess.

MickintheHam
07-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Rode 10 Miles on Birmingham Southside with the group tonight. Made it almost all the way to the top of Red Mountain. We stopped about 3 blocks short. The thing about riding with the group is you do things you wouldn’t normally do

Doc
07-10-2018, 08:50 PM
im saying 235 tomorrow.

I've reached the point where the smell of food makes me nauseous. I think its the meds. I tried to eat today, could do it. Food smelled like used cat litter

Doc
07-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Rode 10 Miles on Birmingham Southside with the group tonight. Made it almost all the way to the top of Red Mountain. We stopped about 3 blocks short. The thing about riding with the group is you do things you wouldn’t normally do

Cool....I enjoy riding but my butt doesnt

MickintheHam
07-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Cool....I enjoy riding but my butt doesnt

You don’t stand up enough! With all the potholes on Birmingham streets, a butt sure can take a beating! I’d never handle mountain bike trails.

Doc
07-11-2018, 02:14 PM
236 today. Of course that pre-blow out that I sense coming

Darrell KSR
07-12-2018, 11:12 AM
232.0. This is ridiculous.Doesn't make my 221.4 look that bad this morning.

I really need to be around 180 but I'd take sub-200 and call it a win.

Doc
07-16-2018, 05:20 PM
I've stabilized at 238. Been sitting steady for a couple days but I've lost my appetite again so will see.

blueboss
07-16-2018, 08:37 PM
220ish...depending on what day of the week. Typically on Mondays I’m 220.8 -221.4, by Wednesday 220-220.5, Th/Fr 219.5-220...

Same thing for the last 6-8 weeks. If I knock off ice cream, and cookies I could get to 215 pretty quickly.... I love cookies and ice cream.

Darrell KSR
07-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Really not rocket science for most of us.

Determine about how many calories you need for maintaining. Add calories you burn from exercise (but be careful--in my experience, the older we get, the less reliable that is. When I was younger, it worked great. Now it's not nearly as reliable. I figure ½ at best.)

Then eat less than that. Every day.

3500 calories = 1 pound.

See if you have some reoccurring habits. Drink 2 coca-colas a day? That's 300 calories. Every two weeks, you've added a pound, unless you took it off somewhere else. Over the course of a year? That's 365 x 300 = 31 pounds.

So if you're maintaining, but can cut out 2 soft drinks a day, over the course of a year, you can lose more than 30 pounds.

Stuff like that.

Of course, "stuff like that" is what I fail at miserably. My biggest issue is that I'll do well for awhile, and then go crazy for a few days in a row, or longer, and throw my hands up and give up. Thin mints in the pantry? That MIGHT last two days with me. I can eat a row of those sitting in front of the TV like nothing. One sleeve of them is almost 700 calories. I can't eat 2-4 cookies (80-160 calories). Give me the whole sleeve.

France
07-16-2018, 11:15 PM
I just lost 25 lbs for 2 weeks when I started walking 5 km per day. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------
France at Home is an online French Supermarket that sells French products such as bread, appetizers, cheese, jams, foie gras, condiments, shampoo, saucisson, french mustard and French bread. France At Home cna be considered as a "food near me (https://franceathome.com.au/)" because it imports products from France then deliver directly to your doorstep.