PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Darrell KSR
04-27-2020, 02:51 PM
I have been going to the new pathway along the Cahaba. It is on Old Montgomery Hwy. you enter through Riverchase Elementary parking lot. It is a couple of steps shy of a half mile. Except for the bridges across the wetlands it is just about flat. A bonus is it is about half shaded and as you exit the woods in one place there is most always a breeze. As you know they are important factors in Deep South running. There are two spots where you can take a break and walk to the riverbank. And the bridges afford you an opportunity to watch the ducks or our resident blue heron.

I have done 5 miles there all but three days since March 21. It is not crowded. Usually, less than 10 to 12 people. I believe I have lost a half pound in that period.Thanks, Mick. I may try that. I timed it yesterday and it was 20 minutes, 10.1 miles to Chelsea Park, so I'm actually a little closer to Riverchase Elementary.

Veteran's Park is great, but super crowded right now, and my son tells me Heardmont is too.

MickintheHam
04-27-2020, 08:52 PM
I would avoid the 4-5 pm time frame anywhere.

Darrell KSR
04-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Neighborhood today. Was planning on going at lunchtime, and before I knew it, it was 4:30. Ugh. So quick 2.3 mile run around my neighborhood, dodging cars. Well, not quick. Quick for me.

Darrell KSR
04-29-2020, 10:30 PM
2.53 today. Waited til 5:30, and didn't feel too comfortable around my neighborhood. Went the back streets as much as possible; ran in the rain, which was nice. Need to extend back over 3+ which "used" to be my minimum.

Darrell KSR
05-03-2020, 12:42 PM
223.2 this morning.

Darrell KSR
05-03-2020, 09:34 PM
4.05 this afternoon. Slow, but pleased.

KSRBEvans
05-04-2020, 09:34 AM
Diet-wise, I fell off the wagon Valentine's weekend and it's gotten worse working from home. But the quarantine is good for my exercise level, especially since the weather has improved.

MickintheHam
05-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Keep at it Brian!

KSRBEvans
05-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Thanks Mick. One of the unintended blessings of being as banged up as I was is I have a new sense of gratitude for being able to do things as basic as take a walk or work in the yard.

MickintheHam
05-05-2020, 05:21 PM
I am walking/jogging 35 to 40 miles a week since the lockdown started. I try to alternate the two about every half mile. My weight loss is 1 1/2 lbs. over the last 7 weeks. I need to lose 8 more to get into target range for height and body type. I am beginning to believe I won’t get there. I’m not sure I can do more than I am. Calorie intake averages about 2100-2300 which means i am burning more than I am consuming. I guess I should be happy with where I am.

Darrell KSR
05-05-2020, 06:42 PM
I am walking/jogging 35 to 40 miles a week since the lockdown started. I try to alternate the two about every half mile. My weight loss is 1 1/2 lbs. over the last 7 weeks. I need to lose 8 more to get into target range for height and body type. I am beginning to believe I won’t get there. I’m not sure I can do more than I am. Calorie intake averages about 2100-2300 which means i am burning more than I am consuming. I guess I should be happy with where I am.Impressive.

I'm a big believer that your body tells you what your ideal weight is. If you are eating reasonably, and exercising like that, I think you must be a lot closer to your ideal weight than not.

MickintheHam
05-05-2020, 08:25 PM
Impressive.

I'm a big believer that your body tells you what your ideal weight is. If you are eating reasonably, and exercising like that, I think you must be a lot closer to your ideal weight than not.

Well, I can pinch a lot more than an inch. I get very frustrated that I can’t jog for longer distances. I don’t have a problem breathing, it’s more that my feet and ankles give out. It’s not like I’m old or anything.

BigBluePappy
05-06-2020, 06:49 AM
Pinch an inch, heck I can grab a slab.
I wish I had your resolve.
Great job y'all.

MickintheHam
05-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Pinch an inch, heck I can grab a slab.
I wish I had your resolve.
Great job y'all.

Mine is closer to a slab than an inch.:unworthy:

BigBluePappy
05-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Got back from the Endocrinologists this morning and I weighed in at 224.5 pounds. Much less than what I was thinking; but not where I want to be.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Gaining weight, eating very poorly. Working at home, teaching online, I eat badly and have no metabolism.

3 miles today in the heat (84°, felt hotter) but gotta watch the kitchen. And add a morning walk.

blueboss
05-23-2020, 04:32 PM
218, I either need to grow a few inches taller, or start exercising and stop buying ice cream.

Since the former isn’t likely, that just leaves the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
05-25-2020, 04:44 PM
3 straight days of running mid-afternoon 3+ miles. Now to get out of the kitchen to start to try to lose weight.

Darrell KSR
05-26-2020, 08:27 AM
225.6 this morning. Yech.

MickintheHam
05-29-2020, 12:37 AM
When I told my doctor last fall I wanted to lose eleven more lbs. his response still puzzles me to this day. He said, "you likely won't be able to lose that much". He wouldn't elaborate. My only thought was he must have me so medicated, it makes losing weight impossible. So after 11 weeks I am 7 lbs away and beginning to think I am where I'm going to be.

blueboss
05-29-2020, 07:33 AM
220.3...we’re all going the wrong way.

I like ice cream, and now it’s ice cream season.

Last year at our local farmers market I ran across “the cobbler lady”. I ordered a couple of cakes and cobblers from her over the course of the year for special occasions and gatherings.

Last week she sent me a text informing me that the farmers market was opening. She sent me her menu of cobblers, cakes, and pies that she’ll be selling individual servings of.... plus her menu for full cobblers, cakes, and pies you can order that she’ll deliver, usually just needs 24 hour lead time.

She closed the text with “bring your mask and sweet tooth”.

Yesterday she sent this weeks menu, I texted her back and thanked her and complimented her on the hunk of strawberry cake she sold me last Saturday.

blueboss
05-29-2020, 09:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200529/4d9c56146c888b4638827fd313fe9d2c.jpg
She sent me another reminder this morning.

Darrell KSR
05-29-2020, 01:22 PM

Oh my gosh, does that look good.

Darrell KSR
05-29-2020, 01:26 PM
When I told my doctor last fall I wanted to lose eleven more lbs. his response still puzzles me to this day. He said, "you likely won't be able to lose that much". He wouldn't elaborate. My only thought was he must have me so medicated, it makes losing weight impossible. So after 11 weeks I am 7 lbs away and beginning to think I am where I'm going to be.

If you've dropped 4 in 11 weeks, and only wanted to lose 11 total, I'd say you're doing great. Might be stuck there, but if so, that's probably where your body ought to be.

blueboss
05-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Oh my gosh, does that look good.

It is, the carmel apple cobbler is what set the hook on me, and pineapple upside down cake is the real deal.

Darrell KSR
05-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Walked 3 miles this afternoon. Going to try to integrate that more into the exercise program in an attempt to help lose weight. Love the running, keeping the heart rate up for 40 or more minutes, and not going to stop that, but going to try to get my heart rate in a lower fat burning zone some of the time.

It's still kitchen--oriented to drop the pounds, but going to try this too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
05-31-2020, 05:03 PM
3.5 miles "running", 86°. That's normally not bad for me, but carrying too much weight makes it tougher.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
05-31-2020, 11:44 PM
I rode the bike downtown this afternoon. Only second time I have been on it this year. But I burn 17% more calories on the bike than I do "running". I may have to get back to riding twice a week in addition to daily "walk/run/jog". Still 8 lbs from target and holding, holding, holding.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2020, 05:50 PM
I've read the science and I feel sure that I burn more calories walking than I do with my slow old man version of running.

At my weight, that's really what I need to do. I just enjoy getting my heart rate up more. I'm going to do my best to try to intermingle the two.

Today I ran 3.2 miles in 88 degree temperature. There will be a point when it gets too hot for me, but I enjoy hot weather. It also keeps the crowd down a little.

-No Signature Harmed During the Posting of this Comment-

Darrell KSR
06-04-2020, 05:57 PM
3.0 miles today, good pace for me. I need to get in the habit of walking the day after a run, rather than just taking the day off.

Darrell KSR
06-05-2020, 03:39 PM
221.6 this morning. So it's dropping. When I start getting semi-serious, it usually drops quickly at the beginning, because I have so much to lose, but then plateaus and gets more difficult. I'm still in the fairly easy stage. It will make "running" a lot better when I can get down to under 215. Big difference to me between 215 and 225.

Darrell KSR
06-05-2020, 05:18 PM
4.2+ walking. I'm hoping that I'm starting to make this regular enough I don't have to post what I do. If I could run 10 and walk 6-10 a week I'd be pleased.

MickintheHam
06-05-2020, 10:44 PM

I have virtually lost my sweet tooth. Oh, I'll have an occasional ice cream, maybe top it with almonds and a light pass with the chocolate syrup. But I bake a few desserts throughout the year mostly for family consumption... a pecan praline cheesecake or bananas foster cheesecake at holiday time and with the freestone peaches coming on I'll bake a peach cobbler for the family when we go to the beach later this month. I used to devour those. I never let left overs leave the house. But no more. It's one thing I do that I get compliments for, so my ego leads me to continue to bake desserts I don't really eat.

Tomorrow I have to go around the corner to my Chilton County farmer's produce stand to get fresh peaches for Sunday dinner. Peaches, grilled pork chops and jalapeño peppers make for a great entree. I will have to develop some will power to walk past the freezer case that has the homemade peach ice cream. That stuff is seriously good. It's even better if you have some chopped pecans to throw over the top.

blueboss
06-05-2020, 10:57 PM
I have virtually lost my sweet tooth. Oh, I'll have an occasional ice cream, maybe top it with almonds and a light pass with the chocolate syrup. But I bake a few desserts throughout the year mostly for family consumption... a pecan praline cheesecake or bananas foster cheesecake at holiday time and with the freestone peaches coming on I'll bake a peach cobbler for the family when we go to the beach later this month. I used to devour those. I never let left overs leave the house. But no more. It's one thing I do that I get compliments for, so my ego leads me to continue to bake desserts I don't really eat.

Tomorrow I have to go around the corner to my Chilton County farmer's produce stand to get fresh peaches for Sunday dinner. Peaches, grilled pork chops and jalapeño peppers make for a great entree. I will have to develop some will power to walk past the freezer case that has the homemade peach ice cream. That stuff is seriously good. It's even better if you have some chopped pecans to throw over the top.

Grab a peach ice cream for me.

MickintheHam
06-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Luckily they were out!

Grab a peach ice cream for me.

blueboss
06-06-2020, 12:28 PM
4.2+ walking. I'm hoping that I'm starting to make this regular enough I don't have to post what I do. If I could run 10 and walk 6-10 a week I'd be pleased.

If you’re wearing a tracker, how many calories do you typically burn on your quick walks of 3-4 miles???

Darrell KSR
06-06-2020, 12:51 PM
If you’re wearing a tracker, how many calories do you typically burn on your quick walks of 3-4 miles???

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI have a Garmin watch and Runtastic Pro on my phone, and the two vary greatly on what they say.

Yesterday Runtastic Pro said 609 calories. I am attaching the screenshot.

Garmin said 429. Same walk.

I don't pay attention to either. I think I have to exercise, but eating is the critical failure of mine. Not sweets, but snacks or food after meals. I'm bad about that. Handfuls of peanuts. Crackers. Sometimes cheese. Sometimes nutri grain bars and similar. Not just one, but several things after a meal. 9420

Darrell KSR
06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
For reference purposes, the day before my average heart rate was 145 with a high of 177. Runtastic said 660 calories burned in 3 miles.

EDIT... I may be wrong, but I truly think that yesterday was better for weight loss than the day before, which contradicts the tracker.

CitizenBBN
06-06-2020, 02:32 PM
OK, I"m getting back on this wagon. Grrr.......

Have to move my treadmill though. Conditions have changed and it has to go somewhere, but not sure where to put it. May end up in my office. I'm there enough to use it for sure, I have room.

Real trick is the carbs. Cut those out and I usually drop weight fast. We'll see how it goes now that I'm battling Methuselah in the age category.

CitizenBBN
06-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Oh, and blueboss, I'd report that vicious woman to the police for tempting you that way. That should be a crime. At least the farmer's market needs a safespace. ;)

blueboss
06-06-2020, 02:59 PM
I was wondering because I wear a Fitbit, and I’ve never agreed with my minutes per mile while on a glider. The Fitbit tells me I’m running about 12 min miles which I find I hard to believe. I think it’s probably closer to 10 min/mile Even though it gives me a base line to follow, I have more confidence in the calories burned based and my heart rate numbers.

Obviously, over a period of time with a consistent exercise routine and as I get in better shape my heart rate drops or plateaus. Once that happens, then I have to start adding periods of more vigorous exercise (wind sprints) for a few minutes out of every 10 minutes, to get me to 4 miles in 40 minutes (Fitbit numbers).

Here’s where I was 3/1, then I got flu A and shut it down for 3 weeks, and then the pandemic hit. After that I was reluctant to do any exercise that required deep breathing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200606/6d87457aca676986c5bd69c95266bd68.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200606/7fa6ebca9081c8a90ae472441e786229.jpg

blueboss
06-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Here’s what she did to me this week.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200606/a019bbd04ec2444ce6a00a3ede40d7e1.jpg

CitizenBBN
06-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Evil, pure and simple from the 8th Dimension!

blueboss
06-11-2020, 11:05 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200611/d5e8676737efb086750aa96c1c5dd8e6.jpg
This weeks cobbler lady’s offerings.

Darrell KSR
06-15-2020, 01:13 PM
I ran nearly 50 miles in the last 3 weeks, all in 80-90 degree temperature, 80% of it with varying degrees of hills requiring a substantial amount of effort to move this 220+ pounds up and down those grades.

In addition, the last two weeks I resumed efforts at the 16-8 fasting plan. Thought I'd give that another try.

And gained weight.

I started yesterday back with MyFitnessPal, logging everything I eat. That has literally been the only thing that has consistently resulted in my losing weight.

MyFitnessPal has a good calorie counter. I think some folks here use it; I have used it in the past, along with LoseIt and maybe one other. MyFitnessPal coordinates with Garmin, though, and I like that. The way it works if you're trying to lose weight is you input all the requisite information--your starting weight, your goal weight, your weekly goal, and activity level (not counting exercise). It then tells you how many calories you should consume per day, and keeps a running total.

I modify how I use it a little. First, I use 1.5 pounds per week to lose as my weekly goal. I'm tempted to put 2.0, but I think 1.5 is aggressive enough.

Then, although I like seeing the calories that Garmin claims I burn through my exercise, and although it "adds back" those calories to my daily total, I completely ignore it, and stick to the number of calories I can eat to meet my weight goal, without considering exercise. That way just in case I messed up--oops, I put down 1 oz of cheese, and it was really 2 oz; oops, I forgot to include that nutrigrain bar I ate while I was driving between appointments; oops, I thought that my peanut butter and banana sandwich was X calories, but really, I put more peanut butter on the sandwich than they account for, etc.--it kinda helps balance that out a little.

I TRY to be diligent and not miss reporting anything I eat; and not misreport any measurement, and if so, it'll just help a little more.

Anyway, I'll report back in about a week and see if I shed anything. Ridiculous to gain 3 pounds while exercising and having "some" version of a diet, but that's what I did (edit--I know; it's possible when I weighed 3 weeks ago, I weighed "light" that day for whatever reason(s), and when I weighed yesterday morning, I weighed "heavy," but still...wrong direction.)

blueboss
06-15-2020, 04:01 PM
Tooth ache okay Wednesday so dentist gave me penicillin for suspected abscess, I also have 800 mg ibuprofen for pain. So I thought I could make it through until the infection went away. Friday l pain got worse so I escalated pain meds to hydrocodone I had laying around.

Friday afternoon I had appointment for annual checkup with regular Dr. I got in the scale and had gained 9 lbs in three days. Dr told me ibuprofen and hydrocodone would cause me to hold water.

Root canal today so I should see weight loss over next two days to get me back to 219ish. Of course I’ll be running to the bathroom every hour for the next three days dropping water.

Darrell KSR
06-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Tooth ache okay Wednesday so dentist gave me penicillin for suspected abscess, I also have 800 mg ibuprofen for pain. So I thought I could make it through until the infection went away. Friday l pain got worse so I escalated pain meds to hydrocodone I had laying around.

Friday afternoon I had appointment for annual checkup with regular Dr. I got in the scale and had gained 9 lbs in three days. Dr told me ibuprofen and hydrocodone would cause me to hold water.

Root canal today so I should see weight loss over next two days to get me back to 219ish. Of course I’ll be running to the bathroom every hour for the next three days dropping water.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkUgh. Hope you are feeling OK.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2020, 11:37 AM
223.4, so I've dropped a little. I'd like to be under 220 by July 1, but I don't know that I'll drop 3.4 pounds in 10 days. I'm hopeful, because I have been logging what I have been eating--and staying under my required calories--for some time before the weight started dropping, so I figure it might have a delayed effect.

220 by July 1, and then 215 by the end of July. I'd like it to be less than that, but trying to be reasonable.

Daughter is getting married 8/22, so maybe...210 by then? That seems to be a good goal.

blueboss
06-27-2020, 03:06 AM
Hanging 220 after the tooth debacle.

Darrell KSR
06-28-2020, 03:50 PM
Hanging 220 after the tooth debacle.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't think you would recommend that as a plan, would you? 😏 But at least you've made the most of it.

3.44 miles today, 90°. 4th time this week of 3-4 miles outside. About a third of it was in shade, thank goodness. I'm going to have to start driving to a path where 90% of it is in shade soon.

MickintheHam
06-29-2020, 10:40 PM
I don't think you would recommend that as a plan, would you? �� But at least you've made the most of it.

3.44 miles today, 90°. 4th time this week of 3-4 miles outside. About a third of it was in shade, thank goodness. I'm going to have to start driving to a path where 90% of it is in shade soon.

My walking path is only50% shade.

Darrell KSR
06-30-2020, 12:28 PM
My walking path is only50% shade.That's reasonable, but I'm finding this year the sun and temperature seems to be bothering me a bit. I've usually been a hot weather person, but I'm just becoming more sensitive to it, and I don't want to push it.

If I'm working out of my office off Exit 252 and remember to bring clothes, Lakeshore Parkway path is great. Almost all of it is shade, except I usually start by the soccer field in sun. But it's inconvenient generally.

My Jeff State path is about a third. I start in sun at the administration building on Valleydale, then behind the math and science building on the road and in the parking lot, and that's shaded, then depending on the time of day the parking lot on the way back to Veterans Park/Health and Science Building is often shaded, then I run on the perimeter of the parking lot which has trees for awhile, then the tunnel to Veterans Park and the longest sun stretch. When it gets to the top of the hill near the trees again, there's a lot of shade all the way around the lake past the volleyball courts before sun hits again. Anyway, it seems like about a third overall.

I like to run around Spain Park high school on the roads because there is very little traffic and it's nice, but it's all sunny.

222.0 this morning, so I did not meet my 220 goal.

MickintheHam
07-03-2020, 08:08 AM
That's reasonable, but I'm finding this year the sun and temperature seems to be bothering me a bit. I've usually been a hot weather person, but I'm just becoming more sensitive to it, and I don't want to push it.

If I'm working out of my office off Exit 252 and remember to bring clothes, Lakeshore Parkway path is great. Almost all of it is shade, except I usually start by the soccer field in sun. But it's inconvenient generally.

My Jeff State path is about a third. I start in sun at the administration building on Valleydale, then behind the math and science building on the road and in the parking lot, and that's shaded, then depending on the time of day the parking lot on the way back to Veterans Park/Health and Science Building is often shaded, then I run on the perimeter of the parking lot which has trees for awhile, then the tunnel to Veterans Park and the longest sun stretch. When it gets to the top of the hill near the trees again, there's a lot of shade all the way around the lake past the volleyball courts before sun hits again. Anyway, it seems like about a third overall.

I like to run around Spain Park high school on the roads because there is very little traffic and it's nice, but it's all sunny.

222.0 this morning, so I did not meet my 220 goal.

Can you just run the shaded portion of the SP Cross Country Course? It's got that tough hill but it is all shade. Two laps on that section of course should get you about 2.5 miles.

Darrell KSR
07-03-2020, 09:22 AM
Can you just run the shaded portion of the SP Cross Country Course? It's got that tough hill but it is all shade. Two laps on that section of course should get you about 2.5 miles.They have it blocked off with tape but I think it would be fine to go. There's been so much rain lately it stays puddled for a while, but that's a great suggestion after it dries a little. I'll do it. I always walk that hill anyway, and usually walk a little ways after climbing it on the flat part as a reward. I'll do it, thanks for the suggestion.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Friday I packed clothes and ran at Lakeshore; Saturday I took Mick's advice and went through the woods/shaded part at the Spain Park Cross Country Course (that big hill is brutal; don't know how those runners do it), and yesterday I did my 4 miles at Chelsea Park (very easily, walking ALL the hills, not exerting much). When I parked there it was pouring rain, I waited 5 minutes and it stopped. "Treated" myself to a car wash afterward at Chelsea.

Pleasantly surprised that I had a 220.2 weigh-in this morning. Hope that continues. I need it.

Have a supply of apples I'm washing and putting out in a bowl--if something isn't convenient for me as a snack, I'm often lazy and grab something unhealthy. Have raw carrots, which I love, in a couple of ziploc bags ready to go. I need other substantive healthy snack suggestions.

blueboss
07-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Friday I packed clothes and ran at Lakeshore; Saturday I took Mick's advice and went through the woods/shaded part at the Spain Park Cross Country Course (that big hill is brutal; don't know how those runners do it), and yesterday I did my 4 miles at Chelsea Park (very easily, walking ALL the hills, not exerting much). When I parked there it was pouring rain, I waited 5 minutes and it stopped. "Treated" myself to a car wash afterward at Chelsea.

Pleasantly surprised that I had a 220.2 weigh-in this morning. Hope that continues. I need it.

Have a supply of apples I'm washing and putting out in a bowl--if something isn't convenient for me as a snack, I'm often lazy and grab something unhealthy. Have raw carrots, which I love, in a couple of ziploc bags ready to go. I need other substantive healthy snack suggestions.

I do almonds and mix in raisins... Also, It’s melon season and even though they’re a pain in the patooty to cut up, icy cold melon after a big sweat is PDG. I usually cut up the whole melon and keep’m in Tupperware in the fridge in hefty single servings.

Darrell KSR
07-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Ate poorly this week, with my excuse being the air conditioning out. Afraid to weigh.

Ran 3+ miles today and yesterday in brutal heat. I'm careful not to push it and using paths with some nice shady patches and going slow. I'm sitting on my doorstep right now and it looks like a heavily leaking air conditioner, I am dropping sweat like crazy.

Yesterday's running environment. 107° heat index. That's my limit. 9497

Darrell KSR
07-19-2020, 04:39 PM
I do almonds and mix in raisins... Also, It’s melon season and even though they’re a pain in the patooty to cut up, icy cold melon after a big sweat is PDG. I usually cut up the whole melon and keep’m in Tupperware in the fridge in hefty single servings.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGreat suggestions and healthy. Wife has some watermelon cut so that's what I'll have shortly.

blueboss
07-19-2020, 07:44 PM
We’ve got really good local cantaloupes coming in, I tore in to one yesterday after cutting grass...

MickintheHam
07-20-2020, 12:42 PM
We’ve got really good local cantaloupes coming in, I tore in to one yesterday after cutting grass...

I have been eating one or two Chilton County peaches every day. They are exceptionally juicy. I need a couple of paper towels with every one. I finally broke the 170 pound barrier last week, but it has been very slow going. Would like to get to 160, but will settle for 165. 163 would get me out of the “overweight” category.

blueboss
07-20-2020, 03:51 PM
I have been eating one or two Chilton County peaches every day. They are exceptionally juicy. I need a couple of paper towels with every one. I finally broke the 170 pound barrier last week, but it has been very slow going. Would like to get to 160, but will settle for 165. 163 would get me out of the “overweight” category.

Below 170!! That’s great, what’s your height. At my height 170 ain’t happening... or if it does I’d have more to worry about than my weight.

BigBluePappy
07-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Man, I haven't seen 170 pounds since the summer I got tall...well, taller.
Congrats, Mick.

MickintheHam
07-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Below 170!! That’s great, what’s your height. At my height 170 ain’t happening... or if it does I’d have more to worry about than my weight.

5’8 1/2” and shrinking. Everything at my age shrinks.

BigBluePappy
07-20-2020, 08:03 PM
6'0" at my prime, 5'10.5" now, I feel your pain, sir.

MickintheHam
07-20-2020, 08:56 PM
6'0" at my prime, 5'10.5" now, I feel your pain, sir.

It would be funny if it wasn’t true.

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 12:11 PM
5’8 1/2” and shrinking. Everything at my age shrinks.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/---lZbmHgqDs/XZyP7vi-nBI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/T4hL3nIUAwAtjmBLBgIrFwFbXwEZEfyPgCEwYBhgL/s1600/shrinkage%2Bgeorge.jpg

Darrell KSR
08-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Been afraid to weigh, so I haven't. Work has kept me from exercising during the week; been a weekend warrior only, and that's not good enough. Of course, in my experience, it's not good enough for weight loss anyway, and I have been poor on that as well.

MickintheHam
08-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Been afraid to weigh, so I haven't. Work has kept me from exercising during the week; been a weekend warrior only, and that's not good enough. Of course, in my experience, it's not good enough for weight loss anyway, and I have been poor on that as well.

We have all been there. Work always seems so important. Wait til you get old and wonder why you’re in the shape you’re in. It’s only then you learn work shouldn’t take priority over good health.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Well, I'd make the same decision again. Got a wedding to pay for this month (fingers crossed) and selling a business for a client with 23 gas stations I've been working on since November. Closed last Tuesday. Good timing!

Darrell KSR
08-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Ran both days this weekend, and went for a walk after dinner last night. I think I'm going to add the short walk after dinner every night, or at least, multiple times a week. Can't hurt, and even if I can't exercise, I can find time to do that.

(I could exercise, too...but on the treadmill and with weights, I guess. I really like to save that for when the weather is bad for an extended period of time.)

Darrell KSR
08-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Ran 2 miles, walked 1 this afternoon. 93°, 104° heat index. Kinda hot.

Edit... I had a good amount of shade on the route, so it wasn't like the sun was beading down on me the whole time. Still hot, though.

blueboss
08-08-2020, 04:48 PM

Darrell KSR
08-08-2020, 05:30 PM
I was 219.0 before I ran, 215.8 after. Wish the 215.8 was a real number.

Darrell KSR
08-09-2020, 06:00 PM
So slow women pushing baby strollers lap me, but man, temperature just brutal. Waited later today thinking the heat would break, but not much.

Start and finish. 95659566

MickintheHam
08-12-2020, 07:45 AM
Temps have been brutal! Did 5 miles yesterday at 4 pm. An hour and 15 minutes in the heat was miserable, but there were a lot of people out there.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2020, 11:03 AM
I looked at the temperature yesterday and walked outside pretty close to that time and I just decided it was too hot for me to try. I drove by Veterans Park earlier in the day and saw a lot of people walking and it was already very hot just after lunchtime.

MickintheHam
08-12-2020, 01:25 PM
I looked at the temperature yesterday and walked outside pretty close to that time and I just decided it was too hot for me to try. I drove by Veterans Park earlier in the day and saw a lot of people walking and it was already very hot just after lunchtime.

There were a lot of people at Veterans when I was there.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2020, 04:51 PM
Another one... 9572

blueboss
08-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Is it just me, or are the Pepperidge Farms cookie packages entirely too small?

Seriously?

Darrell KSR
09-08-2020, 12:13 PM
219.0 on 8/8
222.0 on 9/8

Wait. I don't think I'm going the right direction. It was a tough month. Decent exercise, but ate poorly. Wish I could exercise and get weight off, but I exercise and gain weight unless I do better on eating.

MickintheHam
09-08-2020, 11:26 PM
219.0 on 8/8
222.0 on 9/8

Wait. I don't think I'm going the right direction. It was a tough month. Decent exercise, but ate poorly. Wish I could exercise and get weight off, but I exercise and gain weight unless I do better on eating.

I believe you figured it out.

On a positive note I had my virtual, annual wellness visit with my doc. I request my bloodwork in advance so Doc and I can have a face to face chat. Everything moved year over year in a positive direction. Good cholesterol up. Bad Cholesterol down Triglycerides down. He said not many of his patients my age have all positive trends. The “my age” stung a bit.

blueboss
09-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Still in the 220 range +/- 2 lbs.

CitizenBBN
09-09-2020, 11:11 PM
I'd participate more in this thread but you guys measure in pounds, which is a measure of gravity, but on a very small scale.

I measure in things like how much I impact the tide when I go to the beach.

JennaKravitz
11-08-2020, 02:19 PM
I just wish I could play golf right now, but the quarantine won't let me do that, unfortunately :( When you read this four years later, in quarantine, not being able to play sports to the full, it becomes very sad. The work you've done speaks to your love of an active lifestyle, but now many people are forced to fall in love with a sofa or, at best, a fitness mat on their floor. I love sports and exercise, so I still stay with https://www.modernfit.com/programs/noom/how-noom-stacks-up-vs-weight-watchers/ (https://www.modernfit.com/programs/noom/how-noom-stacks-up-vs-weight-watchers/) and I try to keep my activity normal. What are you doing now, in the face of a pandemic?

Darrell KSR
11-08-2020, 02:22 PM
I just wish I could play golf right now, but the quarantine won't let me do that, unfortunately

Where do you live that prohibits golf? I thought golf was allowed most places...

JennaKravitz
11-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Where do you live that prohibits golf? I thought golf was allowed most places...

I live in Ireland

Darrell KSR
11-09-2020, 03:51 PM
I live in IrelandAh, I see. Yes, I heard that there was a pretty major shut down there.

My daughter was in Ireland in January. Beautiful area.

Darrell KSR
11-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Man, I have been awful.

blueboss
11-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Man, I have been awful.

Same... 228

KSRBEvans
11-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Good article on how eating better and exercising is something fewer people are doing during the pandemic but is the key to better well-being:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/11/sedentary-pandemic-life-happiness/617142/

I admit this has been a bad few months for me and the desire to be sedentary grows as it gets colder and darker earlier in the evening. I have to start focusing on treadmill time and eating healthier. Dieting will have to wait until after Christmas but for now I'm going to try eating less stupid stuff.

BigBluePappy
11-19-2020, 07:02 PM
Right now I am at 227.5, but my A1C has gone from 7.1 to 6.5 in a six month time frame, so I am OK with "stalling out" around 225.
I will never see 190 again I do not believe and it is just that, I stopped eating the 'stupid stuff'.
Doesn't mean I don't eat Buttermilk Mac & Chees (that recipe is awesome with a diced jalapeno, seeded and about a rasher of bacon chopped just like you suggested Mick), but I limit myself and I try to eat a more sensible diet, consistently.
Alcohol, now that summer is over I won't be needing the after-mowing barley pop anymore so I am hoping to see it go down more. I do enjoy the occasional Devil's Cut, chilled to dang near freezing with three drops of water to open it up. BEvans keep up the good work and keep the faith brother, it is all about habits...Got in that rhythm!

MickintheHam
11-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Right now I am at 227.5, but my A1C has gone from 7.1 to 6.5 in a six month time frame, so I am OK with "stalling out" around 225.
I will never see 190 again I do not believe and it is just that, I stopped eating the 'stupid stuff'.
Doesn't mean I don't eat Buttermilk Mac & Chees (that recipe is awesome with a diced jalapeno, seeded and about a rasher of bacon chopped just like you suggested Mick), but I limit myself and I try to eat a more sensible diet, consistently.
Alcohol, now that summer is over I won't be needing the after-mowing barley pop anymore so I am hoping to see it go down more. I do enjoy the occasional Devil's Cut, chilled to dang near freezing with three drops of water to open it up. BEvans keep up the good work and keep the faith brother, it is all about habits...Got in that rhythm!

Glad you liked that Buttermilk Mac and Cheese. That's not a regular part of my diet, but have been putting a Thanksgiving menu together for a celebration this Sunday and it has been added. Should go well with Cajun Stuffed Pork Chops, Butternut Squash Soup and Asparagus.

BigBluePappy
11-20-2020, 09:15 AM
What time is dinner?:sign0157:

MickintheHam
11-20-2020, 07:15 PM
What time is dinner?:sign0157:

:) you are welcome at my table anytime!

Darrell KSR
11-26-2020, 01:06 PM
4.1 miles this morning of slow jog/walk. Trying to mitigate a little for what is coming...

blueboss
11-26-2020, 04:36 PM
I cleaned the gutters , up the ladder down the ladder, up the ladder down the ladder...

Then ran another assault on the leaves, #6 I think.

Darrell KSR
01-02-2021, 10:40 AM
230.0 this morning. Ugh.

I started logging what I eat again this morning. That has been the only reliable way of me losing weight.

My plan is to establish a baseline for calories, and stick to it. And ignore the Lose It app when it adds calories I can eat because I exercised that day. I just don't believe that works.

Darrell KSR
01-03-2021, 11:44 AM
One good day of calories, but I weigh more today. I know it will take some time. In addition, I did not weigh on my official scales which has the app and bluetooth to my phone so it doesn't count. Only weigh on that once a week.

MickintheHam
01-05-2021, 09:56 PM
Got in a quick run/walk today. 2.05 miles 14:01 pace. If I could get that pace for that distance down to about 12:30 I would be very pleased. At my age that may not be doable. My goal this year is to find a real time 5k and see if I can beat 40 minutes. Last one I ran was 5 years ago and that was 27:25.

Darrell KSR
01-05-2021, 11:18 PM
27:25? I couldn't do that on a hover board.

I'm not much different on my old man slow jog walks either. I do like it better than just walking, though. I've tried the walking and I get bored with it unless I'm dictating things into a recorder and look like an idiot. I mean, more than usual.

Golf tomorrow with my son before he goes back to school. Played last week, just 9 holes but was fun. Not much exercise but you do get some walking in as bad as we play.

MickintheHam
01-06-2021, 06:06 AM
27:25? I couldn't do that on a hover board.

I'm not much different on my old man slow jog walks either. I do like it better than just walking, though. I've tried the walking and I get bored with it unless I'm dictating things into a recorder and look like an idiot. I mean, more than usual.

Golf tomorrow with my son before he goes back to school. Played last week, just 9 holes but was fun. Not much exercise but you do get some walking in as bad as we play.

I can't stand to walk, but that's what I do mostly these days. I jog to get the activity over faster and burn more calories. I can jog about a mile and then I have to walk. The legs just give out. Then I alternate the jog and run. The lungs and heart feel like they could do more. For the last 6 months I try to get out 5 days a week and keep it between 2 and 3 miles most days. One day a week, I will try to get to 5 miles.

blueboss
01-07-2021, 08:00 PM
I’ve started getting back in exercise shape.... it’s ridiculous, in just how bad of shape I’m in. It’s gonna take a couple weeks.

MickintheHam
01-08-2021, 02:19 AM
I’ve started getting back in exercise shape.... it’s ridiculous, in just how bad of shape I’m in. It’s gonna take a couple weeks.

Weeks????? This has become my life's mission.

bigsky
01-08-2021, 09:21 AM
I'm gonna start next Monday. For sure...

Darrell KSR
01-08-2021, 03:49 PM
3.04 miles slow, 37°. I don't do well in cold weather running, but so heavy and out of shape I've gotta do everything.

blueboss
01-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Weeks????? This has become my life's mission.

Take a couple of weeks to get up to 40 minutes on elliptical or glider. I’d like to get back to under 12 minute miles, but I don’t want to have a heart attack doing it so I’ll take it slow.

I’m at 4 minutes now, Sunday I go to 8 minutes, by the end of the week I hope to be around 15 minutes. Once I get to 20 minutes I can start going a little longer each day.... I hope.

blueboss
01-08-2021, 06:12 PM
3.04 miles slow, 37°. I don't do well in cold weather running, but so heavy and out of shape I've gotta do everything.

What’s slow? How long for 3.04 miles.

Darrell KSR
01-08-2021, 06:52 PM
What’s slow? How long for 3.04 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk13+. 41 total. I'm slow in the best of situations. Some hills but not bad today, just one of significance.

Darrell KSR
01-09-2021, 08:51 AM
230.0 this morning. Ugh.

I started logging what I eat again this morning. That has been the only reliable way of me losing weight.

My plan is to establish a baseline for calories, and stick to it. And ignore the Lose It app when it adds calories I can eat because I exercised that day. I just don't believe that works.228.4 this morning. A good week of logging all my calories, keeping under a base (1800), increased water intake, and exercise. Goal is always under 200, but intermediate goal is 215 where I start to feel better. Until then, I feel heavy and sluggish.

blueboss
01-09-2021, 02:20 PM
228.4 this morning. A good week of logging all my calories, keeping under a base (1800), increased water intake, and exercise. Goal is always under 200, but intermediate goal is 215 where I start to feel better. Until then, I feel heavy and sluggish.

Same for me, I’m at 230 and feel sluggish as well. I usually start feeling better below 220, I’d like to get to 200 but 210 will be a victory. Pounds won’t start going down for me until I get to twenty minutes on the machine.

blueboss
01-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Ms. boss isn’t helping the cause, she made lasagna last night. She makes a fine lasagna, in fact that’s what she used to set the hook when we were dating.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2021, 07:11 PM
I'm at 581 calories so far today, which is a lot for what I usually do when I start logging calories. I usually eat a very low calorie lunch, no breakfast or a single egg, and maybe an apple or pear (if I skipped breakfast). Usually around 320 calories heading into the 6pm-7pm dinner time.

Tonight having turkey chili, tomato cucumber salad, and ½ turkey, bacon avocado sandwich from Panera Bread. Low calorie choices, but I will be hungry before going to bed...

Darrell KSR
01-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Salad 90 calories
Chili 200
½ sandwich, 340
Total 630
Water to drink.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2021, 04:39 PM
357 calories thus far today, headed into dinner.

MickintheHam
01-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Salad 90 calories
Chili 200
½ sandwich, 340
Total 630
Water to drink. Water, yes, of course.

blueboss
01-13-2021, 07:11 PM
Yesterday 10 minutes .77mi
Today 10 minutes .81 mi

Darrell KSR
01-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Just too cold for me to run outdoors right now. I don't do well in that weather.

I have a treadmill in the garage. I hate running on it. It's easier on my knees and there are no hills, but it's SO boring. I like looking at the trees, people watching, cars go by, squirrels, rabbits (saw 3 on one run in the Fall), occasional snake as long as it doesn't get too close to me, lakes (really ponds), etc.

They tell me that weight training is really good for weight loss, but I've never been one to do that. I have a set of free weights, kettle bell, dumb bells, weight bench, etc. there too, for my son, so I may consider that this winter, too.

KSRBEvans
01-14-2021, 09:16 AM
It's January so my annual weight loss plan has begun. My goal is to lose 50 pounds and be walking about 4-5 hours/week before Mrs. BEvans and I go on vacation in mid-May. I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my food and exercise. Down 7 pounds so far.

Darrell KSR
01-14-2021, 09:24 AM
I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my food and exercise. Down 7 pounds so far.

I'm using the same phone and desktop app. My weigh-in is tomorrow or Saturday, but I'm 5.4 pounds behind your progress! You're doing great!

I SHOULD be shooting for 50 pounds. I have 2 goals at this point, and 3 altogether, I guess.

Goal # 1: Lose 15 pounds. I start to feel better at 215. That's a big one to me.
Goal # 2: Lose 30 pounds. If I get there, I call that a major success. Haven't seen that number (200) in several years, though.

I'll be content if that's all I do, which will probably keep me from ever reaching Goal # 3. But...

Goal # 3: Lose 40 pounds. I don't think that will happen, but if I ever get to 190, that's a grand slam home run for me.

KSRBEvans
01-14-2021, 09:53 AM
Those are great goals, Darrell. I will usually do well with a plan for 4-6 weeks then I start drifting. Last year I did well through Valentine's Day, but then we had a weekend of celebrating, I didn't get back with it and I lost focus after Covid hit. This year I'm trying to use Covid as a positive--we're not going out due to Covid, so I'm hoping that will help me stay focused.

Darrell KSR
01-14-2021, 10:51 AM
By the way, my driver's license still says 175. That's what I weighed when I got my driver's license as a 15-year old high school sophomore. (In Louisiana, you could get your license at 15 then, not just a permit). I never had it changed.

Unfortunately, my picture has changed since then :).

blueboss
01-14-2021, 04:25 PM
It's January so my annual weight loss plan has begun. My goal is to lose 50 pounds and be walking about 4-5 hours/week before Mrs. BEvans and I go on vacation in mid-May. I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my food and exercise. Down 7 pounds so far.

Same here as far as mid May vacation goal. I’ve had a FitBit for several years, I’m used to how it works and it gives me a good baseline to work against. I haven’t really lost any weight so far, but I don’t watch it that closely until I get closer to being in shape to go 30+ minutes 5 days/week. Watching calories kicks in first of Feb.

blueboss
01-14-2021, 05:16 PM
10 minutes .84 mi tonight, 10 minute mile is a long way away.... I’m still not convinced the FitBit is completely accurate.

Darrell KSR
01-15-2021, 09:05 AM
228.4 this morning. A good week of logging all my calories, keeping under a base (1800), increased water intake, and exercise. Goal is always under 200, but intermediate goal is 215 where I start to feel better. Until then, I feel heavy and sluggish.

228.0. Slow...

MickintheHam
01-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Went 2.05 miles yesterday. I mile running. Combined I was at 13:56 pace. Finally under 14. Goal is still to do a 5 k in under 40. That seems doable now. Maybe lower it to 35.

Darrell KSR
01-15-2021, 09:51 AM
That's terrific, Mick. You're getting back in shape quicker than most.

blueboss
01-18-2021, 04:49 PM
I usually exercise in the evening, is it better to exercise before dinner or after dinner??

KSRBEvans
01-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Great job Mick!

2 weeks in, I'm down 9 pounds. Walked 30 min X 4 last week, increasing to 35 X at least 4 this week.

blueboss
01-19-2021, 05:16 PM
I usually exercise in the evening, is it better to exercise before dinner or after dinner??

Anybody?

BigBluePappy
01-19-2021, 05:41 PM
I didn't seem to lose weight no matter when I exercised.
Benn stuck at 232 forever...

Darrell KSR
01-19-2021, 06:10 PM
Anybody?

I have read both. I frankly don't think it matters much. Exercise whenever to get/stay healthy. Get out of the kitchen to lose/maintain weight.

Darrell KSR
01-19-2021, 06:21 PM
I didn't seem to lose weight no matter when I exercised.
Benn stuck at 232 forever...

Exercise is great, makes you healthy, improves your system in so many ways. But when you reach a certain age, don't believe the propaganda about exercising burns those calories. Get out of the kitchen!

blueboss
01-19-2021, 06:37 PM
Thanks, unless of course the exercise is swimming, then I guess I have to wait an hour.

I’ve been exercising after dinner, I was thinking it would help digest the food. I’ve found I’ll eat a little less knowing I’m getting ready to exercise.

I’ve dropped 3 lbs in the last week just going 10 mins, I’m at .85 mi. Might add five minutes starting tomorrow.

BigBluePappy
01-19-2021, 07:22 PM
Exercise is great, makes you healthy, improves your system in so many ways. But when you reach a certain age, don't believe the propaganda about exercising burns those calories. Get out of the kitchen!

Sacriledge!

KSRBEvans
01-20-2021, 07:16 AM
Anybody?

blueboss, I usually exercise after dinner because that's what fits my schedule. We eat dinner around 6 and then I have that block of time. I'm not sure which is best, sorry.

(I could exercise in the morning, but I'm definitely not a morning exercise person.)

blueboss
01-21-2021, 05:10 PM
blueboss, I usually exercise after dinner because that's what fits my schedule. We eat dinner around 6 and then I have that block of time. I'm not sure which is best, sorry.

(I could exercise in the morning, but I'm definitely not a morning exercise person.)

Thanks, that’s about the same for me except we eat closer to five. (old people). So then I try and exercise around 6:00ish, which right now is only 10 minutes. I did get up to .87 miles this evening. Trying to see how close I can get to that 10 minute mile before I slow the pace a bit and add minutes.

Getting back in shape is hard...without going into great detail, but it has taken two weeks just cleaning out my lungs.

Darrell KSR
01-22-2021, 11:34 AM
226.6, down 3.4 since 1/2.

Ran 3.1 miles yesterday on a hilly trek and my calves are sore today. Staying under 1840 calories daily. Have it set up to lose between 1-1.5 pounds weekly and that's where I am.

KSRBEvans
01-26-2021, 08:52 PM
3 weeks in, down 11 pounds. Did 35 minutes X 3 on the treadmill last week, so missed my goal, definitely getting in 4 this week.

MickintheHam
01-27-2021, 05:27 AM
Got in 4136 steps in last night pacing the floor during the basketball game. :mad0176:

blueboss
01-27-2021, 06:58 AM
Did a 12 minute mile last night. Slowly but surely getting in shape.

Darrell KSR
02-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Disappointing 227.0 this morning. That means -3 for January, which is ok I guess, but it's +0.4 from a little over a week ago. Last night dinner's was Mexican food, with a lot of salt, so I am hopeful that's just a water retention kind of gain, but still...

(And to put that in perspective...I ran three miles yesterday, and had a grand total of 227 calories prior to dinner last night. Last week wasn't the best for me eating-wise, though.)

KSRBEvans
02-01-2021, 11:41 AM
4 weeks in, I'm down 13 pounds (2 last week). Hit my treadmill goal of 35 minutes X 4, increasing to 40 X 4 this week.

blueboss
02-01-2021, 04:01 PM
I’m just now at 15 minutes five days/week. I’m up to 1.22 mi. Trying to get to 1.5 mi in 15 minutes. In about a week I’ll be at 20 minutes.

-3 lbs in three weeks. Start diet watching in two weeks...

blueboss
02-01-2021, 04:28 PM
...everyone is against me. Neighbor just brought over a 50 LB slab of lasagna with two hunks of cheesy garlic bread...

blueboss
02-04-2021, 05:53 PM
1.24 mi 15 min.

Darrell KSR
02-05-2021, 08:26 AM
226.2 this morning.

KSRBEvans
02-08-2021, 11:56 AM
5 weeks in, I'm down 16 pounds, almost 3 this past week. Mrs. BEvans and I are going on a short getaway to Florida Wed-Mon, and I usually stay close to even when I'm on vacation. I won't be watching my calories but not going crazy, either, and not sitting at my desk helps get my steps in.

Padukacat
02-08-2021, 01:24 PM
I'm down about 14 lbs in the past month by going back to my weight watchers food that i recall i could eat. I didnt do real well last night during the super bowl, had a bourbon or two and lost control of my eating as usual. I've been working out several days a week, probably burning about 500 calories. Just anything to get me out of the house and moving is good, this Rona has me moving so much less during the day. As usual, my motivation for losing weight was being on the last belt loop and only having two pair of pants that fit. I think i'm down an inch or two in the waist and have more clothes now, need to lose about ten more before summer.

KSRBEvans
02-09-2021, 06:51 AM
That's great stuff, Padukacat. I've heard the weight gain by people during quarantine is being called the "Covid 19." You're well on you way to getting that off.

Darrell KSR
02-11-2021, 09:43 AM
224.8 this morning.

Darrell KSR
02-11-2021, 09:43 AM
I'm down about 14 lbs in the past month by going back to my weight watchers food that i recall i could eat. I didnt do real well last night during the super bowl, had a bourbon or two and lost control of my eating as usual. I've been working out several days a week, probably burning about 500 calories. Just anything to get me out of the house and moving is good, this Rona has me moving so much less during the day. As usual, my motivation for losing weight was being on the last belt loop and only having two pair of pants that fit. I think i'm down an inch or two in the waist and have more clothes now, need to lose about ten more before summer.

Jealous of that weight drop (and BEvan's too), but I'm working on it.

blueboss
02-12-2021, 07:24 AM
Jealous of that weight drop (and BEvan's too), but I'm working on it.

Me too. I got sidelined from my machine yesterday due to a minor surgery removing a basal cell from chest area. It was right in the middle of my chest on that bone where there isn’t hardly any skin. So now I’m supposed to limit my upper body movement so I don’t rip out the stitches. I guess I can go half speed and just do the lower body part.

Lent starts Wednesday, and so does the dieting.... goodbye to sweets.

blueboss
02-17-2021, 05:15 PM
So here we go, it’s Ash Wednesday. The diet started last night at 11:59:59 pm, including not eating any sweets.

I’ve still got a little over a week before I get my stitches removed and I can get back to exercising.

This morning I weighed in at 231.4.

MickintheHam
02-24-2021, 10:38 AM
Got the old bicycle out yesterday. Rode 9 miles and visited 3 breweries. Thank God I didn’t give up beer for Lent.

KSRBEvans
02-24-2021, 10:48 AM
I spent 2 weeks offline--vacationing, recovering from vacationing, getting ready to start walking the line again. Starting back tomorrow--exactly 12 weeks until we take another trip in late May, hope to lose 25 pounds by then.

Mrs. BEvans and I took a long walk (about 3 miles) while we were on vacation and it was nice to do that and not be sore the next day. Treadmill time paying off. Looking forward to the warmer weather and doing some work outside.

blueboss
02-26-2021, 05:06 PM
Hear we go... got the stitches out my chest yesterday. Dr. says take it easy for a few weeks as far as lifting, pushing, pulling, so I figure back on glider and using arms will be okay.

After being off for two weeks went 3/4 mi in 10 minutes. I’ll work on picking up the pace the next few days, then add some time and distance...maybe 2mi by end of next week.

It’s ridiculous how far out of shape I got in just two weeks without exercise. I hadn’t reached where I wanted to get before I had to take off, but jeez, 10min 3/4mi was tough

Darrell KSR
02-28-2021, 08:08 PM
If you notice, I have not posted a weight in a while. I usually do that when I have regressed. I'm not weighing right now while I get back on the straight and narrow.

I did set a "record" today for my recovery time, according to Garmin. It said 47 hours of recovery was needed after my run today. That's not good. Should be somewhere between 20-26 hours or so. Sadly, I chose a not very difficult path, with not very many hills, and only "ran" for about 44 minutes, but my average heart rate was 149 and my maximum was 182. That tells me I was struggling. It was 80 degrees and it's been awhile since the temperature has been that warm, but I generally prefer to run in hotter weather, I'm just out of shape and not used to it.

I will weigh in at the end of this week and see how much I have gained. I don't think it's horrible, but I'm positive it's a good 5 pounds or so.

blueboss
03-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Last night just under :15 min/1.16 mi peak BPM 174/avg 143

Tonight right :15 min/1.2 mi peak BPM 157/avg 143

Darrell KSR
03-03-2021, 09:04 PM
While it would be an understatement to say 2020 was a bit tumultuous, there’s been a surprising silver lining to months and months of quarantine: People around the world are finding the time to reconnect with fitness and healthy eating.

For 40-year-old Mike Fettes of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the correlation between COVID risk and obesity was all it took to realize it was time to make a serious change in his life. After years of poor diet choices and inconsistent fitness routines, Fettes tipped the scales at 440 pounds in March 2020, just as the pandemic was escalating. After a Zoom “happy hour” with friends full of drinks and pizza, Fettes woke up with sudden clarity that something needed to change for the better — and it couldn’t wait.

“I look at the pandemic as a bittersweet blessing — I don’t know if I could have or would have had the free time if it wasn’t for this,” he says. “Every time I’d hear the word ‘obesity’ and ‘COVID’ linked on the news, that fear took over, and I was like ‘I gotta do something.’”

And he did. After setting an initial goal of breaking 400 pounds, Fettes took the first step by completely revamping his diet. Sodas, snacks with artificial sugars, hamburgers and steaks were replaced with water, lean proteins, like white fish and organic chicken breast, and vegetables.

“I started eating lots of organic vegetables and fruits in lots of salads, and I’d make my own salad dressings to go with them to control my calories,” he says. “For me, that was the biggest change diet-wise because I’ve never been a vegetable eater. Now I love them, and I’ve found different ways to make them tasty and healthy.”

At the same time, he started working out. Using the lap pool in his backyard, Fettes’ first swim wasn’t spectacular. Even though he was completely exhausted after five laps and felt frustrated that he was so out of shape, he got out of the pool motivated and in good spirits.

“I made it my goal to come back every day and go one step further,” he says. “If I swam 10 minutes today, I’d do 15 tomorrow, and before I knew it, I was swimming for 45 minutes to an hour continuously. I’d swim through rainstorms, after midnight, anything. I felt very motivated and believed I would make this work.”

Beyond swimming, Fettes started to include walking, jogging and aerobic workouts with a stair stepper. He formulated his own cardio workouts that would last an hour to an hour and a half each day. But the biggest breakthrough came when his long-awaited Peloton bike arrived earlier than expected. He started on the low-impact setting to get used to the feel of riding a stationary bike and gradually worked his way into the “climb” rides for more effective and powerful workouts.

“I’ve ridden every day since I got it, and I don’t even think about not riding it, I’m so into it,” Fettes says. “I remember feeling the sweat and the burn and thinking ‘there’s something here.’ I feel mentally and spiritually well when on the bike, and it’s such a transformative experience for me. You get on the bike and have these intense workouts, and after I’m done, I have this ‘bikers high’ where I just feel incredible.”

By this point, the number on the scale was dropping as fast as his mileage was increasing. He’d already blown past his goal of reaching 320 pounds before his October birthday, and he didn’t stop there.

“I realize I’m at this dangerous point where I’ve done all this work and lost all this weight, and the last thing I want to do is get complacent and start being lazy again or having bad habits,” he says. “I work out harder today than I did at the beginning, and I’m working out with an intention. I have full control over my efforts, and I give it my all and not just go through the motions.”

To hold himself accountable, and by his wife’s recommendation, Fettes started using MyFitnessPal to not just log what he ate during the day, but also track his workouts and even plan his meals in advance. Seeing the complete nutritional picture of carbs, vitamins, sugars and more became an educational tool for him — it helped him make diet choices that benefited his overall health.

“The best thing about the tool is that at the end of the day, it gives you the ‘in five weeks, you’ll weigh this’ number,” he says. “I used it as a motivational tool to beat what the weight projection was, and at the end of the day, I couldn’t wait to put my exercises combined with my meals and hit that ‘complete diary’ button to see what I was going to try to beat weight-wise in five weeks.”

Because of his dedication to eating right, exercising daily, and making smart choices, Fettes didn’t face any serious setbacks along the way. Luckily, his wife, Liz, was joining him on this health and fitness journey, they were able to tackle challenges together.

“Navigating special events like family birthdays and holidays was probably the toughest for me,” he says. “And even though we’re taking quarantine very seriously, we’d want to have a nice meal, so we just made a point to research and do a healthy take on a Thanksgiving or birthday meal, so it didn’t derail our nutritional plan.”

In Fettes’ mind, the most important thing is taking the first step, having an intention, and using that to drive you. Even though he was mentally frustrated when he wasn’t losing the weight as fast as he wanted to, once he lost the first 40 pounds, he found his weight-loss journey became an “unstoppable freight train.”

“I remember being afraid, and instead of getting off the couch and taking action, I’d kind of cower and comfort eat,” he says. “You just have to move — start with the first step, be active, and the rest will follow.”

Darrell KSR
03-05-2021, 12:03 PM
222.8 this morning. Ran yesterday on a hilly course, slow but 3.15 miles. This morning I had a Zoom Webinar to attend and I took my dictaphone and earphones and walked 4.66 miles during the 90 minute Webinar. Had no visual to watch, just presenters talking so I I didn't have to watch it, just listen. So happy the weather is getting warmer so I can go out.

blueboss
03-05-2021, 05:16 PM
222.8 this morning. Ran yesterday on a hilly course, slow but 3.15 miles. This morning I had a Zoom Webinar to attend and I took my dictaphone and earphones and walked 4.66 miles during the 90 minute Webinar. Had no visual to watch, just presenters talking so I I didn't have to watch it, just listen. So happy the weather is getting warmer so I can go out.

222.8 is pretty sporty. My weigh in day is on Tuesday... last Tuesday 228.8. I’ve had a couple of hiccups but dieting started two weeks ago. Slow and steady wins this race for sure.

Darrell KSR
03-07-2021, 08:36 PM
Well... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/3b53e2e1a8e0dd538e4d812ffb1c6fad.jpg

blueboss
03-07-2021, 08:56 PM
^^That’s a lot!!! What are we looking at there?

Darrell KSR
03-07-2021, 09:29 PM
^^That’s a lot!!! What are we looking at there?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSome sort of glitch is what we're looking at. I wish I did that today.

I walked 3.6 miles while listening to a Webinar and recording dictated notes. Should've been, oh, about 45,000 or so below that. No idea what happened.

KSRBEvans
03-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Week 9. Been drifting since the last time I noted I've been drifting. Still down about 12 pounds from start, but have to get back on track. Exercising 30 minutes X 4 this week, walking the line on my eating.

blueboss
03-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Well... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/3b53e2e1a8e0dd538e4d812ffb1c6fad.jpg

Maybe it’s on the week mode...

Darrell KSR
03-08-2021, 03:01 PM
As far as I know it doesn't have a weekly option (for the watch display. I can see it in Garmin Connect app that way.). Those numbers wouldn't have been right anyway for the week.

It reset to 0 today when I put it on so we'll see what happens. It may just be the product of a 3 year old watch needing replacing.

Edit...I checked Garmin Connect app too. It showed 53k daily steps yesterday too. Just funky weird.

blueboss
03-08-2021, 04:55 PM
I think the most I’ve ever logged in a day was 20-21k, so at 53k you were non stop.

Darrell KSR
03-08-2021, 05:56 PM
It didn't happen. It was some sort of glitch.

I also only wear the watch (usually) as I'm going to walk or run. So getting 6000-7500 or so would be a really good day because that's just my exercise. 53k is unlikely to have even been a week's worth.

blueboss
03-08-2021, 08:13 PM
The week before I wasn’t exercising due to stitches. This past week I went :15min/5 days. This week I’m going :20min/5 days.

55,375 total steps

Avg. 7,911 steps per day.▲38,266 more than last week.

Darrell KSR
03-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Tried something new today. Felt fine, but they think I overdid it. 9973

Doc
03-09-2021, 07:45 AM
I think the most I’ve ever logged in a day was 20-21k, so at 53k you were non stop.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy top was this at 34803. Was a day I did a 5K at Disney (as you can see started early...and it was cold, friggin cold!), then spent the days at the parks

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210309/290b3b38f4168452004f8e01354ebaa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
03-09-2021, 09:13 AM
My top was this at 34803. Was a day I did a 5K at Disney (as you can see started early...and it was cold, friggin cold!), then spent the days at the parks

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210309/290b3b38f4168452004f8e01354ebaa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I hit over 31k one day at Disney as well. For my money, a long day at Disney is about as good of exercise as this old man is going to get.

The worst part was, toward mid-evening we rode some ride that got you wet. My shorts ended up getting wet, and rather than drying off completely, well, let's just say I earned the rest of those steps and paid for it the remainder of the time we were in Orlando.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Turns out, I'm underweight based on my height... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/a8dd83ff1f53a924745da0ed866c2afa.jpg

Doc
03-10-2021, 01:22 PM
I hit over 31k one day at Disney as well. For my money, a long day at Disney is about as good of exercise as this old man is going to get.

The worst part was, toward mid-evening we rode some ride that got you wet. My shorts ended up getting wet, and rather than drying off completely, well, let's just say I earned the rest of those steps and paid for it the remainder of the time we were in Orlando.

Been there, done that. Make it home bowed legged

blueboss
03-10-2021, 02:59 PM
Turns out, I'm underweight based on my height... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/a8dd83ff1f53a924745da0ed866c2afa.jpg

Had know idea you were Sarr’s size. Sarr is soft.

blueboss
03-11-2021, 09:15 AM
My Tuesday weigh in had me at 228.4. Typically when I start my winter routine, I’m down 10lbs by the end of March. I’m only down 5lbs now and not sure I’ll make the other 5 by 3/31.

Whoever mentioned the thing about getting older and pounds coming off slower was right. I am dieting(counting calories), and doing cardio... I’m a bit behind on exercise and being at :40min, 5 days/wk. but jeez, it’s going slow this year.

I’m still going to shoot for 210 by 5/1

blueboss
03-11-2021, 05:25 PM
The struggle is real... see bbq thread.

blueboss
03-17-2021, 12:32 AM
Tuesday weigh in albeit a little later than usual came in at 227 even.

Up to :25min/2.01 mi five days a week. The distance changes slightly depending on pace but the five day average came to 2.01. Gonna hang here for another week then bump up to :30/five days/wk.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2021, 10:12 AM
FWIW, the Garmin has been fine this week. Of course, the weather has been bad, so I have not been able to get out and run, and I only wear it sporadically. Like yesterday was 880 steps or so. I have a treadmill and weights in the garage, but I just don't enjoy that. I guess I need to do like Andy said about Aunt Bea's pickles, "learn to love 'em."

blueboss
03-17-2021, 05:52 PM
I’m back on the IR list and sidelined from exercise. Give the ear a day or two to mend so I don’t get it all sweaty, and the BP up causing additional swelling/pain.

blueboss
03-23-2021, 05:27 PM
Back at it 2.07 mi/:25 min.

Tuesday weigh in 226 lb, looks like a pound a week. Thought I’d be at 220 by 4/1. Didn’t happen, too many set backs.. on IR 3 times since 2/1.

Straight ahead, “can’t never did anything” ~ some guy

Darrell KSR
03-25-2021, 08:47 AM
221.8. Slow.

blueboss
03-25-2021, 06:34 PM
221.8. Slow.

You need to lose more weight quicker. You’re generally 5lbs less than me, so the faster you get to 215 the quicker I’ll get to 220...

Darrell KSR
03-30-2021, 07:51 PM
I'm going to try something soon. Maybe.

Headed to the allergist Thursday, which I have needed to do for years. That's a definite. Just part of getting health in order.

Then I am going to go see a podiatrist about my feet...the arch, bad nails when I run that turn in, pronation, etc.

Then I'm going to an athletic shoe store and be fitted for real running shoes that fit my feet.

That's the pre-plan.

After all of that, I'm going to try to match the Commissioner. At least in 50 day segments.

Greg Sankey has run, outdoors, for 350 days in a row, at least 35 minutes each day and often more. It's 3.5-4 miles minimum, often 5 miles, with occasional runs up to 9 miles.

He's a runner. I'm a guy who pretends to run. There's a difference. But if he can run for 35 or more minutes a day every day, so can I.

I'd like to try it in a 50 day stretch.

It may be a pipe dream. But I'd like to try it.

blueboss
03-31-2021, 12:59 PM
I'm going to try something soon. Maybe.

Headed to the allergist Thursday, which I have needed to do for years. That's a definite. Just part of getting health in order.

Then I am going to go see a podiatrist about my feet...the arch, bad nails when I run that turn in, pronation, etc.

Then I'm going to an athletic shoe store and be fitted for real running shoes that fit my feet.

That's the pre-plan.

After all of that, I'm going to try to match the Commissioner. At least in 50 day segments.

Greg Sankey has run, outdoors, for 350 days in a row, at least 35 minutes each day and often more. It's 3.5-4 miles minimum, often 5 miles, with occasional runs up to 9 miles.

He's a runner. I'm a guy who pretends to run. There's a difference. But if he can run for 35 or more minutes a day every day, so can I.

I'd like to try it in a 50 day stretch.

It may be a pipe dream. But I'd like to try it.

Good luck, sounds like a good plan.

I’m sticking to 30/35 minutes a day on the machine which equates to about 2.5 or so miles.

Darrell KSR
04-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Good luck, sounds like a good plan.

I’m sticking to 30/35 minutes a day on the machine which equates to about 2.5 or so miles.

It's a lot better for your knees, ankles, etc. Right now, I have been blessed with no issues related to those items, so I'm going to continue, as I find it more tedious to do it indoors than suffering outdoor elements. You are more dedicated than I am.

I have to get a referral to see a podiatrist, so I have an annual physical scheduled Monday. This will be my 2nd in less than 5 years, so I'm really doing well. Now that I think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to get before I embark on this journey anyway.

blueboss
04-02-2021, 04:57 PM
It's a lot better for your knees, ankles, etc. Right now, I have been blessed with no issues related to those items, so I'm going to continue, as I find it more tedious to do it indoors than suffering outdoor elements. You are more dedicated than I am.

I have to get a referral to see a podiatrist, so I have an annual physical scheduled Monday. This will be my 2nd in less than 5 years, so I'm really doing well. Now that I think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to get before I embark on this journey anyway.

I did mis-speak, :30/:35 a day 5 days/week, not every day. Still, I do feel feel better over all after getting back in shape.

My latest brick wall was the 2nd covid shot reaction (see covid thread). I hope to start back exercising on Sunday. After a week lay off, my plan is to go :20/ 5 days and then add :05 each week to get back to :30/:35

blueboss
04-04-2021, 05:51 PM
It’s not my usual weigh in day, but it is Easter which marks the end of my sweets fast. I did make it to 220.2.

After enjoying a few Easter bunny treats I’m going back to the sweets fast until May.

Laid off the machine all last week after battling the vaccine reactions, and started back tonight for a 1.6mi :20min session on the machine... it hurt.

MickintheHam
04-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Rode my bike 11 miles yesterday. I have got to stop going to the breweries along the way. Had a net gain of about 300 calories.

blueboss
04-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Official weigh in day, I’m in my teens, again, 219.6

Machine broke, again, I’ll get it welded tomorrow and hope to back in business tomorrow

Darrell KSR
04-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Haven't weighed, but I have definitely gone the wrong way. Well, I have weighed, I guess, at 228.5 at the doctor's office, but that's a little apples and oranges. Weighing in the afternoon, fully clothed with shoes on, etc. Still, I'm well over 220, probably 224 ish in the morning.

Have been to the allergist, and my internist, and have my referral to the podiatrist. I have used this as an excuse to eat what I want and no exercise until getting fully checked out. About another week of this.

Darrell KSR
04-13-2021, 04:38 PM
I'm going to follow doctor's orders, but the nurse I spoke with yesterday after my surgery gave me a sheet that said no running for 4 weeks, no lifting weights for 4 weeks, etc.

I'll talk to him Thursday about it, because I'd like to go ahead and start/resume. I'm thinking that's for like "real" runners, marathon guys, that kind of thing--not me, who plods along slowly and walks to catch his breath. Foot doctor Thursday morning, eye doctor Thursday afternoon, and hopefully I can start back soon.

blueboss
04-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Weigh in day. Good news I didn’t gain any weight, bad news I didn’t lose any either. Still hanging at 219.6.

I’m up to 2.5 mi fives days/wk in :30 min. Moving up a half mile/day by week’s end.

Thing killing me over the last week is business travel along with daily lunches. Never going to make 210 by May 1.

Darrell KSR
04-14-2021, 05:41 PM
Foot doctor, 9am tomorrow, eye doctor 12:50.

Hoping I can begin exercising again next week.

In fairness, there is no reason at all I should be eating like crap, but I have used my non-exercise as an excuse to eat poorly. I need to be kickstarted back into action.

Darrell KSR
04-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Foot doctor checkup fine. Gave me some inserts to go in my running shoes that he wears when he runs and plays basketball, so I'm good. Even wears the same brand running shoes I wear, and said I did not need to go to a running store and buy expensive running shoes (unless I just wanted them).

Eye doctor checkup next, and that will tell me when I can start again.

Darrell KSR
04-15-2021, 02:09 PM
Great news. Eye pressure 13. I have NEVER in my entire life seen a number that low. NEVER.

He cautioned me that it was not reliable yet, and it could be inconsistent for next couple of weeks but it was certainly good news.

He said absolutely no running for the next two weeks, and I have another appointment two weeks from today. Hopefully he will tell me I can start running again then but it may be another couple weeks after that. I can wait. My eyesight is too important.

Darrell KSR
04-20-2021, 10:17 AM
223.8 was better than I expected this morning. I'm probably at least 3 weeks from exercising but I'm hoping I can convince myself to do boring walks, which will likely help me from eating poorly. If I'd just eat right without exercising I'd be fine but I don't, and I know me.

blueboss
04-20-2021, 07:02 PM
Stuck between 219 and 220.

blueboss
04-27-2021, 06:28 PM
Finally a little movement, albeit small, but I’ll take it. 218.4

I guess bumping up to :40/ 5 days a week has helped.

Darrell KSR
04-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Well, my little tiny bit of good news today is that the doctor released me for full activity today. So I can go back running if I want. My schedule sucks from now until mid-june, however. I have my daughter's graduation, and then I'm going to move her to her new job 2000 miles away round trip, which will mean I will take a week's vacation to do so. Then at the end of this month my in-laws are celebrating their 90th birthday oh, and all the siblings in their spouses are taking them the dinner and spend a couple of days with them. We have all been vaccinated and I know my wife is craving hugging her parents after all this time. Anyway, I'm going to try starting tomorrow to find some time every day but I'm not starting my daily 40 minute run every day for at least a hundred straight days yet. I will start that in June.

MickintheHam
05-14-2021, 08:32 PM
I have now started back riding my bike. I have a semi-regular riding partner. We are doing about 7 to 10 miles 3 or 4 times a week. I am burning about 700 to 1000 calories each ride. I hope to increase the calorie burn by increasing the number of climbs on the route. Goal is to burn 1200 cals with each ride. Hopefully if I can do that over the summer I can put a dent in the weight and and improve the blood sugar levels. I sure need to.

blueboss
05-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Two weeks in FL and no exercise didn’t do me any good. I went backwards but not as much as I anticipated.

Darrell KSR
05-18-2021, 10:24 PM
I'm not starting my daily 40 minute run every day for at least a hundred straight days yet. I will start that in June.

Well, no I won't. I'm going to be limited for four weeks after another eye surgery June 14, so I hope to start in July.

Good for you guys (Mick, Blueboss) that are keeping the thread going with healthy activity and exercise. Please keep inspiring me.

Mannzie
06-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Guys, you're so motivating! Can't wait to get back to my training programs. All gyms were closed in my area because of covid, and exercising at home is not for me. On the contrary, I was eating a lot and just have no idea how to get back on track after 4 months of binge eating. I started a course of Leanbean, which is considered the best fat burner (https://www.laweekly.com/best-appetite-suppressants-and-fat-burners-top-weight-loss-diet-pills-review/) for women, and I can notice a considerable change. Anyways, I hope to get in shape as soon as possible. What other products have you used for appetite suppression?

blueboss
07-01-2021, 05:36 PM
My total lethargy is starting to wear on me, (literally) so here we go… 7/1/21 back on the torture machine starting out 5 minute intervals for a few days than doubling it to 10 minutes for a few days and so on, and so forth.

I’ve managed to creep up from 217/218 on 5/5/21, to 224/225 6/30/21. Same routine, get in cardio shape, then add some kind of diet that doesn’t include Blue Bell, and Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream.

Darrell KSR
07-01-2021, 08:41 PM
I had surgery six days ago and I am restricted right now, and will not be able to exercise this summer until at least early Fall. I can walk, but that's not my favorite thing.

blueboss
08-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Tough sled’n over here at the house of boss!

2.58 mi in :30 min…I’m lucky to still be alive…. Working on 3 mi.

MickintheHam
08-05-2021, 02:52 AM
Tough sled’n over here at the house of boss!

2.58 mi in :30 min…I’m lucky to still be alive…. Working on 3 mi.

That is pretty good work!

My focus has been almost exclusively on bike riding this summer. I have been getting in 3 or 4 rides a week. So far all are in the 7 to 12 mile range, 45 minutes up to an hour and a quarter. Wed. Night I got in 9 1/2 miles and burned 220 calories. Goal is to get 30 miles a week or 120/month.

blueboss
08-05-2021, 05:43 PM
That is pretty good work!

My focus has been almost exclusively on bike riding this summer. I have been getting in 3 or 4 rides a week. So far all are in the 7 to 12 mile range, 45 minutes up to an hour and a quarter. Wed. Night I got in 9 1/2 miles and burned 220 calories. Goal is to get 30 miles a week or 120/month.

FitBit tells me 2.64 today at :32 minutes burning 518 calories…. a little faster pace today.

Not sure how accurate it is, but it’s a base line to build from.

Com’on 3 miles

Keep on pedaling Mick, at least you’re going somewhere. I started out 4 feet from my television :32 minutes later I’m still 4 feet from my television.

blueboss
08-08-2021, 04:47 PM
2.78 mi. :32 min inch by inch to 3 miles.

MickintheHam
08-09-2021, 06:07 AM
2.78 mi. :32 min inch by inch to 3 miles.

You'll be there soon! Hit 32 miles for last week. About 75% of what I was doing before the pandemic. Riding through downtown yesterday was a lot of fun. There were a lot of riders out. Rode past the new stadium downtown. It will be ready for UAB football on time.

blueboss
08-09-2021, 06:52 PM
You'll be there soon! Hit 32 miles for last week. About 75% of what I was doing before the pandemic. Riding through downtown yesterday was a lot of fun. There were a lot of riders out. Rode past the new stadium downtown. It will be ready for UAB football on time.

2.91 miles and still 4 feet from my television. I need to get a bicycle…

MickintheHam
08-09-2021, 10:34 PM
2.91 miles and still 4 feet from my television. I need to get a bicycle…

You wouldn’t be alone. Bikes are gaining in popularity for older adults. What I like is you can change the scenery every time out. I found with walking or jogging I was getting bored. I have one segment downtown that is 2 and 1/4 long with only 2 stop signs, very gentle grades and minimal traffic. I ride it every time. It allows me to get some good speed work. From this segment I can branch off into some interesting diverse places. Unfortunately there are 6 craft breweries within a mile and a half of this segment. I succumbed to one tonight after riding about 9 miles. Hell, it was 90 degrees at 6 pm.

MickintheHam
08-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Beat my weekly and monthly goals this morning. Rode the bike 34 miles this week and 158 miles fir the month. The winds today were as strong as I have ridden in for a long, long time.

blueboss
08-29-2021, 12:52 PM
Beat my weekly and monthly goals this morning. Rode the bike 34 miles this week and 158 nukes fir the month. The winds today were as strong as I have ridden in for a long, long time.

Great job…

I finally got to 3 miles :35 min daily on machine. Cut grass today, which damn near killed me :55 mins just short of 3mi, 2.96 mi…it’s hot and humid, Ohio River Valley weather.

MickintheHam
08-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Great job…

I finally got to 3 miles :35 min daily on machine. Cut grass today, which damn near killed me :55 mins just short of 3mi, 2.96 mi…it’s hot and humid, Ohio River Valley weather.

Birmingham invented hot, humid weather! This morning we were getting the outer wind bands from Ida gusting during the ride. The first leg of 18 blocks was dead into the wind. As we made a turn I grabbed my jersey, it was completely soaked on both sides. I don’t believe I have ever labored so hard.

blueboss
08-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Birmingham invented hot, humid weather! This morning we were getting the outer wind bands from Ida gusting during the ride. The first leg of 18 blocks was dead into the wind. As we made a turn I grabbed my jersey, it was completely soaked on both sides. I don’t believe I have ever labored so hard.

People that talk about heat and humidity really don’t know unless they’ve experienced the south’s version of heat and humidity. The Ohio River Valley rivals, the western part of the state over in the Paducah area, or at least as I recall, and it’s as rough as I’ve lived in including S Florida. I’ve heard stories of legendary H/H from AL, GA, LA, and MS, and can validate most with the exception of MS…never been.

Then compound it by exercising in it, “it just means more in the south”

MickintheHam
08-30-2021, 09:59 AM
Very funny stuff Boss. congrats on getting three miles. I stopped running because I couldn’t make three and couldn’t handle the psychological side off it.

blueboss
08-30-2021, 06:31 PM
Next up 3.5 mi, the big question is, how many minutes to get there?

Darrell KSR
02-14-2022, 06:11 PM
Let's revisit.

I did 50 miles in January despite having Covid and I have gained weight. Hoping that with the holidays over I'll start eating better... As I glance down and see several York patty wrappers next to me...

blueboss
02-14-2022, 06:35 PM
Right on time, I’ve gained 15 lbs and feel like crap. I started getting back in shape a couple of weeks ago. I’m up to fifteen minutes/day and going 1.2 miles.

Goal is to get closer to 1.5 miles in :15…. Regardless, I’ll add five minutes next Sunday and see how long it takes me to get closer to 2 miles. I’m guessing my :10/mile days are gone.

Hope to be close to 17 miles a week (5 days) by end of Feb.

Dieting has started, and by started, I’ve started talking about dieting. The actual food choices and food intake changes will start some time next week.

I’m embarrassed to say, I’ve let my self get to back to over 230…I’m at 230, I’m still 6’2” and I’m shooting for 210 by May.

MickintheHam
02-15-2022, 12:54 AM
Met my weekly goal on the bicycle last week. Turned 32 miles. weather will determine if I make the monthly target.

blueboss
02-15-2022, 04:04 PM
Dang, a bit of a hiccup in my routine. Had a skin biopsy and some tags taken from my underarms, Dr. told me to avoid excess sweating for a few days….

Darrell KSR
02-15-2022, 06:17 PM
I was 230.2 at the doctor Monday, fully clothed, with shoes, etc. I think I'm closer to 225, but at 6'0, that's easily 25-30 pounds more than I should weigh.

Much, much work to be done.

blueboss
02-27-2022, 03:57 PM
Back at it, not setting the world on fire…but, :20/day, I went 4 days last week, right at 1.6 mi/day.

I’m ready to go to :25/day starting tomorrow maybe get to closer to 2.0 mi

Darrell KSR
02-27-2022, 04:17 PM
Walked 5.11 miles yesterday, mostly during the Kentucky game. Ran 3 the day before. Best thing is I'm trying to watch what I eat a little better. Thanksving through early January is awful.

Have lost a little, but not enough to post yet.

blueboss
02-27-2022, 05:35 PM
I usually walk 5-7 miles a day just moving around on the floor at work. Exercise days add another 1.5-1.6 miles per day. I need to get to 3.5-4.0 miles per day of exercise.

Started cutting back on food and cutting out the crap. Lent starts Wednesday, that’ll be it for the sweets.

I agree with the eating season, for me it usually starts around Halloween and then goes through mid January. This year I did a pretty good job until mid December, then it went to hell in a hand bag quick.

Darrell KSR
02-27-2022, 05:58 PM
I usually walk 5-7 miles a day just moving around on the floor at work.

That's where I fail miserably.

It is not unusual for me to have 2000 steps working at home, if that. If I'm at my office, maybe 3500. So where some have decent exercise (I'd say 4 miles or about 8k steps), and where others like you get good to excellent exercise, mine is usually just poor.

I run 3-4 miles in a day, and including other daily steps, I might hit 10k steps.

I walked 5+ miles yesterday, and I had 12k. Granted, it was Saturday, but same as any work at home day.

So if you see me post that I ran, realize that's just making it a normal day for most people.

MickintheHam
02-28-2022, 05:53 PM
Rode 12.5 miles today with one break at the 9mile mark. I need to get back to 15 mile rides which I was doing pre-covid. Had 93 miles in February and Year to date I’m at 155 miles. This is the year I hit 1000 miles.

I’m not losing any weight, but I feel good.

blueboss
03-01-2022, 06:41 AM
Made it to 1 71 mi. In :20. Getting in better cardio shape, monitor showing BPM in the peak range for only 3 minutes out of the :20 while my pace/distance increased. Good news/bad news/…I’m in better shape, but now I need to increase total time/pace on machine to continue improving cardio health….baby steps

Darrell KSR
03-04-2022, 04:57 PM
Ran in 84° temperature this afternoon, with 190 feet of elevation (Chelsea Park) at 2 pm. Worked through lunch, called it a day. 3 miles so slow it was clocked with a sun dial.

Shower and off to a fish fry at church. A good day (I love hot weather!)

blueboss
03-04-2022, 07:19 PM
Ran in 84° temperature this afternoon, with 190 feet of elevation (Chelsea Park) at 2 pm. Worked through lunch, called it a day. 3 miles so slow it was clocked with a sun dial.

Seriously what kind of time? I’m asking because I’m at 2mi in :25 and I don’t know what’s good. I do know that the days of :10 miles are gone…at least more than 1 mi.

MickintheHam
03-04-2022, 11:59 PM
Had a really nice ride this afternoon. I'm with the I love hot weather crowd. So far I have ridden 43 miles this week. Hope to add another dozen or so before bad weather sets in on Monday.

Darrell KSR
03-05-2022, 07:02 PM
Seriously what kind of time? I’m asking because I’m at 2mi in :25 and I don’t know what’s good. I do know that the days of :10 miles are gone…at least more than 1 mi.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBlueboss, when I was an athlete, I was slow. Think of your barrel chested, slow footed third baseman type.

Today I'm 61, with 4 surgeries last year and 45 pounds overweight. So I'm not sure anybody would care to look at any numbers I have.

I typically do the same thing. I have a slow pace about 12 minute miles, and when I get to a hill, or when I just need a breath, I walk. I try to keep a ratio of about 8 to 1 on slow run to walk, but it often is more like 4 to 1.

So overall, it usually is around 13:30 miles. Some walk that fast. If I push it, I'll break 40 for 3 miles, but it depends on where I'm running.

I was at Navarre when I was generally running 40 minute 5k length at home, and did an easy 35+ because running by the beach (not on the beach, the road beside it) was flat as a pancake.

Here's today's run. I don't like running through the park track when it's a nice day, because all the walkers and strollers are out there. So I park at the Community College, and run through parking lots. There is a lake I generally run by, so it's not terrible views, but it's pretty boring.

Yesterday was Chelsea Park. I love that area because very few people are there, and I run around a soccer field where my son trained for four seasons with his club team growing up... Back in the days when parents could watch practice. I have fond memories there, although there are some tough hills. I usually walk up those and when I get to the top, walk a little more to let my heart rate slow down a bit before I start again.

When it's super hot in the summer, I like to run through Heardmont Park. Few people are there, it's pretty, and the flattest trek I have. And there are some trees and a back dirt path behind the baseball fields and soccer fields that is almost all shaded.

Anyway, here's today's. Don't laugh. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220306/8b5c4b1d1d93174cda5a434b8a86986c.jpg

blueboss
03-07-2022, 07:59 PM
Blueboss, when I was an athlete, I was slow. Think of your barrel chested, slow footed third baseman type.

Today I'm 61, with 4 surgeries last year and 45 pounds overweight. So I'm not sure anybody would care to look at any numbers I have.

I typically do the same thing. I have a slow pace about 12 minute miles, and when I get to a hill, or when I just need a breath, I walk. I try to keep a ratio of about 8 to 1 on slow run to walk, but it often is more like 4 to 1.

So overall, it usually is around 13:30 miles. Some walk that fast. If I push it, I'll break 40 for 3 miles, but it depends on where I'm running.

I was at Navarre when I was generally running 40 minute 5k length at home, and did an easy 35+ because running by the beach (not on the beach, the road beside it) was flat as a pancake.

Here's today's run. I don't like running through the park track when it's a nice day, because all the walkers and strollers are out there. So I park at the Community College, and run through parking lots. There is a lake I generally run by, so it's not terrible views, but it's pretty boring.

Yesterday was Chelsea Park. I love that area because very few people are there, and I run around a soccer field where my son trained for four seasons with his club team growing up... Back in the days when parents could watch practice. I have fond memories there, although there are some tough hills. I usually walk up those and when I get to the top, walk a little more to let my heart rate slow down a bit before I start again.

When it's super hot in the summer, I like to run through Heardmont Park. Few people are there, it's pretty, and the flattest trek I have. And there are some trees and a back dirt path behind the baseball fields and soccer fields that is almost all shaded.

Anyway, here's today's. Don't laugh. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220306/8b5c4b1d1d93174cda5a434b8a86986c.jpg

Great info, I’m about the same but I do all my work on a glider (GazelleSupreme now you all don’t laugh). I try to keep my pace in the low 12’s. Yesterday and today were very close to the same :25/2:03mi and :25/2:02mi. respectively.

I’m still aways away from being in good shape. I could not have gone a minute more at that pace, but my plan as always is to get to about :40 and then work on pace. I would expect to be at :30 by weeks end where I’ll hang for about a week before adding another five minutes.

I’m 63 but I still have a problem believing that I can’t get back to those 10/11 minute miles. I keep trying though, my biggest problem is keeping the boredom down. I do news, weather, sports, music etc. to keep my mind off time while exercising. I need to get in to a routine and stick with it. After getting in pretty strong cardio shape I need to add in some type physical/resistance training, maybe three days cardio, two days resistance.

We’ll see though…best laid plans.

MickintheHam
03-07-2022, 09:48 PM
I had a good week last week. I rode the bike 53 miles. (Thank you warm weather). My speed is trending upward. I burned 1100 calories. I’m still on target to go 1000 miles this year. At my age it’s a real challenging goal. All of this activity and I’m merely holding my own. But, I’ll take it.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Great info, I’m about the same but I do all my work on a glider (GazelleSupreme now you all don’t laugh). I try to keep my pace in the low 12’s. Yesterday and today were very close to the same :25/2:03mi and :25/2:02mi. respectively.

I’m still aways away from being in good shape. I could not have gone a minute more at that pace, but my plan as always is to get to about :40 and then work on pace. I would expect to be at :30 by weeks end where I’ll hang for about a week before adding another five minutes.

I’m 63 but I still have a problem believing that I can’t get back to those 10/11 minute miles. I keep trying though, my biggest problem is keeping the boredom down. I do news, weather, sports, music etc. to keep my mind off time while exercising. I need to get in to a routine and stick with it. After getting in pretty strong cardio shape I need to add in some type physical/resistance training, maybe three days cardio, two days resistance.

We’ll see though…best laid plans.

I used to use a glider at the YMCA, but even listening to music, I got so freaking bored could not stand it. That's very difficult.

During bad weather, I have a treadmill in my garage that I use, but I really do not enjoy that at all. I mostly have relegated that to throwing my phone on a bike holder that is clamped onto it, watching a television show, and walking. I feel any movement is good.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2022, 04:50 PM
I had a good week last week. I rode the bike 53 miles. (Thank you warm weather). My speed is trending upward. I burned 1100 calories. I’m still on target to go 1000 miles this year. At my age it’s a real challenging goal. All of this activity and I’m merely holding my own. But, I’ll take it.

That's outstanding. Continue to be safe. I know that sometimes that can be very hazardous, depending upon a lot of other things.

MickintheHam
03-13-2022, 10:14 AM
That's outstanding. Continue to be safe. I know that sometimes that can be very hazardous, depending upon a lot of other things.
Except for my weekend rides everything is on the bike trails or bike routes with heavy ridership. In downtown Bham there are three continuous miles of dedicated trails with another 3/4 mile set to open in about 2 months. Typical route is from the UAB lot on 5th Av S to Avondale Park going through Railroad Park, the Rotary Trail and the Hugh Kaul Trail. As I ride it there are less than 10 blocks shared with Motorized vehicles and most of those blocks have almost no traffic.

But riding the bike downtown removes my #1 roadblock to exercise: BOREDOM! Riding the same route may seem monotonous but in reality, everyday there is something new or different. I generally ride with one or two others. The biggest problems are the 6 breweries along the way and the donut shop in Avondale. So far I just get coffee at the donut shop and limit myself to one beer if I stop at on of the great breweries. I encounter a lot of runners along the way, mostly distance runners. They are the ones eating donuts .

blueboss
03-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Bounced up to :30 today, managed 2.41 mi. Something to work on this week and see if I can get to 2.5 mi.

MickintheHam
03-15-2022, 05:17 AM
Bounced up to :30 today, managed 2.41 mi. Something to work on this week and see if I can get to 2.5 mi.

2.5 to 3.0 miles is a solid range for people still working. If you can keep that target over time the health benefits will come. I would be much more focused on your cardio than your weight. I know folks that ride a bike 50 miles a week and don't have any change in weight. But they are getting a good cardio workout.

Darrell KSR
03-20-2022, 03:41 PM
Bike riders may appreciate this story.

In 1951, Gustaf Håkansson signed up for an endurance race traversing virtually the entirety of Sweden, only for his submission to be rejected because of his age – he was 66. Their reasoning was that he would have neither the strength nor the stamina to compete with the 50 other racers, all of whom were more half his age.

Nevertheless, having ridden 600 miles to GET to the starting line, Håkansson was there on race day in the saddle of his roadster complete with mudguards, a headlamp and panniers. (He had also donned a homemade bib with the number 0 on it.)

Due to the volume of racers, Håkansson crossed the starting line about 20 seconds after the race had started, but five days, five hours and 1,000 miles later, he crossed the finish line first – more than a day ahead of the next rider.

It soon came to pass that Håkansson had sort of cheated, neglecting one rule that the other ‘official’ participants were forced to follow – he didn't sleep.

As part of race regulations, competitors were expected to meet and stop at a checkpoint at the end of the day to recharge and restart the next morning.

Instead, Håkansson took just an hour’s rest before setting off again in the middle of the night. This allowed him to make up for the 10 miles he was behind after 300 miles and put a 20-mile gap between him and the rest of the pack.

After three days and only five hours' sleep, Gustaf was leading the field by more than 120 miles. At one point the police tried to persuade him to stop for a medical examination, but he only laughed – and pedaled on.

Eventually, with only 800 yards or so to go, Stålfarfar or steel grandpa (as he became known in the villages he'd passed through) came to an abrupt halt. But it wasn't sheer exhaustion that had stopped him – the old man's bicycle had suffered its first and only flat tire.

Unperturbed, Gustaf dismounted and set towards the finish line where, with only a few yards to go, he remounted to cross the line at 2:15pm on July 7, 1951.

Despite the albeit unofficial victory, a subsequent audience with the king of Sweden and generally being showered in fame and honour, Gustaf's greatest satisfaction came from proving wrong the doctors who had thought he was better suited in a rocking chair than he was in a saddle.

The Steel Grandpa continued to ride bicycles until his death in 1987 at the age of 102 and if that isn't a testament to the health benefits of riding a bike, then I don't know what is.

MickintheHam
03-21-2022, 07:18 AM
That's a funny story, Darrell. Inspirational!

I biked just over 14 miles yesterday, the longest ride since before the pandemic. I felt like I could have gone a lot further and would have except I am scheduled to ride with a group this afternoon and I wanted to be able to keep up. I like the weekend rides as there is little traffic downtown and a lot of other cyclists and runners are out and about. It's an opportunity to ride just about any of the streets and my times are a whole lot faster. I want to get my weekend rides to where they are all in the 15 to 20 mile range.

blueboss
03-21-2022, 05:10 PM
I’m gonna get to 2.5mi in :30 if it kills me. Tonight 2.45 mi in :30 pace right at 12’31”. Ive been hitting the same for a week after adding :05 about 2 weeks ago.

For some reason Tuesdays have been my slowest times/distance. Tomorrow I’m pushing it to see if I can crack the Tuesday curse.

Heart rate is pretty solid maxing at 170 bpm, averaging 148 bpm through the :30 period. I’m getting in pretty decent cardio shape, and have managed to drop around 8lbs since Ash Wednesday, however Tuesday is weigh in day.

MickintheHam
03-22-2022, 05:33 AM
Blueboss, 12'31" isn't at all bad. I found as I got older, I could improve my endurance and run further. I was never able to really do much to improve my pace. I think we lose a lot of flexibility in our legs that keeps us from improving pace. I went from running 27' 5k races to running them in the mid 30s in about a year or so. I stopped running them because I didn't want to run one in 40'. I could still do the distance, but not the time.

I am upset with biking, but not in the same exact way. It used to be I could do 25 miles in 2 hours plus. I could do the same thing today. I would just need to pack breakfast lunch and dinner. Darryl's Scandinavian story is very true. Over the course of the last 10 months I have been able to improve my speed less than 1 mph.

Don't be discouraged. You're doing the work!

blueboss
03-22-2022, 05:05 PM
Is that you Cal?? ^^^^ lol you dragged me across the finish line!!

I crushed it!! :30min, 2.52mi…record pace 12’04” ef Tony ef’n Little and his ef’n cry baby gazelle!!!

In all seriousness the feedback I get from this thread does keep me motivated.

Several things I keep an eye is my heart rate. Today I maxed at 179 bpm with an average of 159 bpm. That’s about a 10bpm increase from my earlier sessions this week. The next step is to maintain distance/pace and decrease bpm.

The other thing I watch is my heart rate at rest, the better shape I get in the lower at rest rate is. At the beginning of the year when I started moving more and working towards being able to maintain a sustained workout my at rest was 71-72 bpm, now I’ve got it down to 63-62 bpm. I doubt I can get under 60 bpm, but we’ll see.

Another thing is me typing this, can I type a coherent thought immediately after coming off of the machine.

IkeCat
03-23-2022, 11:28 PM
You guys are getting me motivated, not for weight loss, but because I've been sitting stagnant for the last 2 years. Have always been active, but seeing and feeling it is time to get off of my butt. Thanks?

MickintheHam
03-24-2022, 05:53 AM
good luck Ike! Hard to beat spring weather. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had a tough day yesterday, though. My riding companion clocked the winds at 21 knots. We had a block long stretch straight up a hill directly into the wind. It's a hill I usually take without shifting. Yesterday I couldn't downshift fast enough. I thought my quads were on fire. I was wobbly when we go to the top.

Darrell KSR
03-30-2022, 11:34 AM
good luck Ike! Hard to beat spring weather. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had a tough day yesterday, though. My riding companion clocked the winds at 21 knots. We had a block long stretch straight up a hill directly into the wind. It's a hill I usually take without shifting. Yesterday I couldn't downshift fast enough. I thought my quads were on fire. I was wobbly when we go to the top.

Riding today, Mick? Depending on which way you're heading, your wheels might leave the ground...

My exercise has slacked off a tad. Today will be the 10th day this month I have ran. I'd like to do at least 15 per month, and no fewer than 13 (3 per week, whatever that works out to be).

I have dropped a little weight this year, but the weight loss has stopped. Started the year at 226.6, now at 217.8. Would REALLY love to get to 200. I should get to 180. Heck, "the charts" tell me that 165-170 would be ideal. Get me to 200 and I'll be happy.