PDA

View Full Version : Practice Notes for Today

LonnyDemaree
08-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Phillips has a big decision to make in his choice under center. “I think we’ve got to take a look at this thing and be fair to everybody involved,” a careful Phillips reiterated. He said sometime they are out there with the naked eye and can’t properly evaluate the Joker Phillips said that the offense has got to get the ball in the end zone and in doing so they had to have a long sustained drive, 98-yards, and 14-plays. Now the ‘yeahbut’ is that, the defense didn’t get themselves off the field like Rick Minter would’ve liked. “We’ve got to go and watch the film.” It’s been our experience that when a head coach or offensive brain trust is in a quandary about a decision to name a quarterback, they are not really sure who they want to put out there for the opening game.
Given the number of unobtrusive observers present at the scrimmage there are going to be varying opinions on what they saw. Phillips sent out e-mails to some former players for today’s scrimmage. Approximately seventy alums were present, most of which I knew.
Often times and especially today with trained eyes present comments are made about what took place inside those gates. When unsolicited comments are made and so many are about the same individual, it’s like E. F. Hutton, you listen. As a first comment from about four people in reference to freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow and couple that with what yours truly saw on fan night, you tend to listen. I was on the way to my car and was flagged down by former Cat running back Steve Campassi. He, like the others said ‘Lonny that number thirteen is a ----- (expletive deleted). He was willing to say just what he saw, again unsolicited and it was about Max Smith. ‘ Lonny, his ball wobbles too often.’ Looking all the way back to the spring game, we have often had private conversations with our football friends and the conversation consisted of that very subject.
There are many more facets of being a starting quarterback than, just how well you throw the football but throwing is where it begins. Joker feels a decision is emminent because it’s now cut down day. Coaches continuously emphasis getting the best twenty-two players on the field and given that philosophy, he's got a tough decision to make. This writer predicts with Whitlow’s arm and his wheels, a “Wildcat Package” will be put together for him to help the starter and perhaps fifty-percent of the plays will be run out of the Wildcat.

[/SUB]

UKDREAM
08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
50% Wildcat?? Is that a lack of confidence in the passing ability of any of our starting options?

Terry Blue
08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
I haven't seen any of the practices but I'll have to see it to believe it if we do 50% Wildcat. And again I haven't seen with my own eyes but Max Smith has received many accolades for his play this fall including from Randy Sanders

BudCat_upthecreek
08-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Whitlow may just be that good as was Cobb. If he's the leader and winner Cobb was then we're a much better team with him on the field than with him on the sideline. Like I said in another thread, I have heard he's the best talent we've had come thru Lexington since Randall Cobb. Be that true we must have him on the field and the only thing that would keep him from the QB spot is he doesn't know all the plays yet. AS said before, heard his best Position is the QB spot, but may need him at receiver other than the for the 20-25 plays he knows by season start, increasing as he learns. Max is just slow and wobbly.

LonnyDemaree
08-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Well it may not be 50% but it was said for effect because I believe this kid might possibly be a big play maker. Aside from fan night, I haven't personally viewed the young nman in action. But almost everybody I confer with say the same thing about his throwing arm.

dan_bgblue
08-18-2012, 08:14 PM
UKDREAM, there is nothing in the Wildcat that prevents the "Wildcat" from passing the ball, and Whitlow did toss a 40 yard TD pass to end the scrimmage today. I would prefer that they had a pocket QB that can get the job done, but if not, you go with whatever option gives the team the best chance to win.

BudCat_upthecreek
08-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Glad to see you here Lonny, just noticed you were the one reporting.

Great team you and LV, we'll have all sorts of direct news.

UKDREAM
08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
UKDREAM, there is nothing in the Wildcat that prevents the "Wildcat" from passing the ball, and Whitlow did toss a 40 yard TD pass to end the scrimmage today. I would prefer that they had a pocket QB that can get the job done, but if not, you go with whatever option gives the team the best chance to win.

Dan, I agree with you. I was asking if none of the other potential starters could be relied upon as a passer? Thanks

dan_bgblue
08-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Dan, I agree with you. I was asking if none of the other potential starters could be relied upon as a passer? Thanks

I think Coach Phillips is a pocket QB guy, so I suspect one of them to be named starter. Given the comments posted by Larry V. and Lonny today, I do not get all warm and fuzzy about the passing game. Would it not be a crime to have a great crop of receivers and no one to accurately deliver the ball to them on a regular basis out of the pocket?

Catonahottinroof
08-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I get the same feeling. Not sure if it's QB or receiver related. I hope it's coach speak.....

BudCat_upthecreek
08-18-2012, 08:54 PM
I think Coach Phillips is a pocket QB guy, so I suspect one of them to be named starter. Given the comments posted by Larry V. and Lonny today, I do not get all warm and fuzzy about the passing game. Would it not be a crime to have a great crop of receivers and no one to accurately deliver the ball to them on a regular basis out of the pocket?

Dan it seems for sure Whitlow will be on one end or the other on a regular basis from day just as Cobb was. Plus Whitlow gives us many more options with his wheels.

Terry Blue
08-19-2012, 07:30 AM
I heard from two former players after the scrimmage and they were both very complimentary of Max, both thinking he's the starter going forward. Both also singled out WHITLOW and Sweat as surprisingly good and athletic

dan_bgblue
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
From Lonny's OP............

I was on the way to my car and was flagged down by former Cat running back Steve Campassi. He, like the others said ‘Lonny that number thirteen is a ----- (expletive deleted). He was willing to say just what he saw, again unsolicited and it was about Max Smith. ‘ Lonny, his ball wobbles too often.’ Looking all the way back to the spring game, we have often had private conversations with our football friends and the conversation consisted of that very subject.

If the former players are complimentary of Smith, they either disagree with Campassi, or they are making the best of the QB situation. Wobbling passes have reduced velocity, accuracy, and are hard to catch.

Kacat
08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
They won't run Wildcat anywhere close to 50% but Whitlow can do more then just run the Wildcat package. His size and arm allows him to be a pro style QB as well. But he is young and will need time to develop.

Terry Blue
08-19-2012, 01:22 PM
If anyone is named the starter besides Max, it will be a huge surprise to most

Darrell KSR
08-19-2012, 01:45 PM
They won't run Wildcat anywhere close to 50% but Whitlow can do more then just run the Wildcat package. His size and arm allows him to be a pro style QB as well. But he is young and will need time to develop.

Kacat, how often do you see him behind center? If you had told me this was a real possibility a month ago, I would not have believed it, but it certainly sounds like the young man has a chance.

LarryVaught1
08-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Would not underestimate the way Whitlow can throw the ball. Have heard glowing reports on that.

catmanjack
08-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I think the college game is set up for QB's like Whitlow.
Look at Tebow, Newton, Griffin. Not your typical pocket passers but man they controlled the game and were exciting.
I say give him the ball and see what he can do UK needs excitment on the field.

Kacat
08-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Kacat, how often do you see him behind center? If you had told me this was a real possibility a month ago, I would not have believed it, but it certainly sounds like the young man has a chance.

He is the real deal but like most young QBs he doesn't have the technique down for a proper drop. But he played great competiton in AL so he is more prepared to play college football then a kid like Towels. Don't get me wrong PT is an outstanding talent but Highlands just doesn't play much competiton on a regular basis. The one time they played Trinity they we clobbered. Whitlow is a little further along then people might think. Plus he has good size and the leadership quality you want in a QB. He only had one series but he lead the offense to a score using both his feet and his arm. All from under center. They have to limit what they do with him but I expect they will give him a package of plays to run and see how it goes. But expect more then just the Wildcat because the kid has a strong and accurate arm.

Droops63
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I hope that Max Smith can get better. If he improves and Whitlow is that good, we might have a decent shot at a good season. This is assuming the O-line and WR groups are improving as seems to be the chatter. Lots of Ifs there.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't know if Mick, Darryl, Kingseve or TuscaloosaCat saw him play, and I'm kicking myself for not seeing him last year.

These 5 or 6 plays in this short highlight video of Prattville's 2nd round playoff game is what I expected from him--all running plays, Wildcat; did not see his arm. What you have said about his strong and accurate arm is terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mlo8zb0pQ

He is the real deal but like most young QBs he doesn't have the technique down for a proper drop. But he played great competiton in AL so he is more prepared to play college football then a kid like Towels. Don't get me wrong PT is an outstanding talent but Highlands just doesn't play much competiton on a regular basis. The one time they played Trinity they we clobbered. Whitlow is a little further along then people might think. Plus he has good size and the leadership quality you want in a QB. He only had one series but he lead the offense to a score using both his feet and his arm. All from under center. They have to limit what they do with him but I expect they will give him a package of plays to run and see how it goes. But expect more then just the Wildcat because the kid has a strong and accurate arm.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
But a better video is probably this 4+ minute one, which I think highlights 20 or 21 plays--all of them pass completions. There are a few times he was scrambling and had the opportunity to tuck and run, but instead completed a pass, which I think is a very good thing. If the defense knows every time you scramble you will run, they can key on that, but his arm looks very good here, too.

This video is a little less clear than the other one, and not as close up, but I enjoyed it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdJ2Iyiz89I&feature=related

Badinage
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Would not underestimate the way Whitlow can throw the ball. Have heard glowing reports on that.

If he has wheels and is a respectable passer, he could drive defenses goofy. I have heard discussions about the possibility of him ending up at WR, if QB does not work out. That would suggest he has wheels. He also reportedly is a big kid, which puts him in the bigger duel threat QB (more like Tebow than Cobb). He seems to have heart. If he has an arm? This could be a fun four years!