PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Glock 27 Gen 4

Catonahottinroof
01-07-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm going to buy a c/c firearm for my wife. Any opinions on the Glock 27?

Darrell KSR
01-08-2016, 06:55 AM
You just asked two vastly different questions.

Glock 27 is a terrific handgun. Reliable, .40 caliber is a solid ammo choice, subcompact is easily concealable depending on how she is going to conceal carry.

That is the easy part. The other part is a little more personal. Does it fit her hand well? Does her trigger finger naturally break at the trigger?

Can you go to a range and rent that gun, and others, and let her shoot it to see if the recoil is OK for her? Will she take that gun and go shoot it and practice with it, because it is comfortable for her to shoot?

Could she clear a jam if required, or would she prefer a revolver? (Not that the G27 is likely to jam often, or at all, but a consideration).

I'm not a big gun person, but spent dozens of hours looking and talking to others, trying out different handguns before buying my personal regular c/c weapon, and I regularly read a self defense handgun forum where this question often comes up for husbands seeking to buy weapons for their wife. These seem to be the most relevant ones. Don't buy anything without her trying it first.

I had buddies who own many, many handguns suggest weapons for me. In the end, I was content with the caliber, and the maker, but found my own model which fit both my hand, finger reach, and the way I wanted to carry comfortably, which was not the most recommended weapon to me.

I like the G27, and good chance your wife will, too. I have my own preferences in liking 45 caliber, 9mm, and 38 special, for my own peculiar reasons, but 40 is a great round for self defense.

Good luck. I think Glock is a very good company, very reliable, and a good value.

Darrell KSR
01-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Here's a thread from a couple of days ago that is interesting reading from the forum I mentioned.

" Wife wants to carry"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228490

Catonahottinroof
01-08-2016, 07:38 AM
My wife is very capable with a firearm. I'm looking for a concealed device as what is in my home is not good for that.

Darrell KSR
01-08-2016, 07:47 AM
There's not a one size fits all solution. And there's no perfect c/c gun.

You can buy a gun for her, but if you do the things suggested in that thread, you're more likely to get a better solution for her. Has nothing to do with her being capable or not. In fact, if she wasn't capable, the first discussion should be training.

suncat05
01-08-2016, 09:12 AM
As Darrell said previously, and as I tell anyone when asked, the question of how it fits in her hand is the important factor. If it fits in her hand comfortably, then the caliber really is a non-factor, although the. 40 S&W is an excellent defense round. And although I am not a Glock guy, there is nothing wrong with them. The Gen 4 Glocks are good guns, cannot go wrong with one.

CitizenBBN
01-09-2016, 08:32 AM
You can't go wrong w glock, but the best thing to do if possible is get to a range and have her shoot one, along w others. The choice is so individual, and so based on feel, that within a range of good options that's usually the main factor, how it feels to that one person.

I did a spring and trigger job on a s&w j frame for a female friend, but she ended up preferring a ruger revolver w a much less smooth pull, it was just more comfortable for her. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it's just personal feel.

There are others factorslike Darrell mentioned, like proficiency with semi autos, etc. And there are tactical questions like capacity, and how it will be concealed.

Generally women purse carry, which is usually more flexible on size and such. If she does get her a good carry purse designed for it if possible. Safer and better access.

I haven't shot the g27, but I'm sure it's as good in quality as any glock. Personally I'm not as good w them as w other guns.

suncat05
01-09-2016, 11:49 AM
The Gen 4 Glock's are a lot more ergonomic since they corrected the angle of the grips.

Catonahottinroof
01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
We are down to the Ruger LC9s and the Glock 27 Gen 4. I'm glad to know the Gen 4 has a better grip. It still has an issue as to where your pinky goes if you have big hands. A magazine with an extension on the bottom is a fix to this.
Some advantages in my mind go to the Glock for the magazine and reliability. I've had a Ruger LC9 in the past and know what to expect with it. Very thin and easy to hold, but smaller magazine and 9 mm rather than .40. We will know this afternoon :)

Darrell KSR
01-09-2016, 10:02 PM
The Gen 4 Glock's are a lot more ergonomic since they corrected the angle of the grips.

See, I disagree. But again, it's a matter of preference.

I'm 6'0, and the grip angle of the Gen 3 is perfect for a straight wrist configuration for a center mass hit of an average sized man. i'm looking at a G19, and struggling with the idea of the improvements of the Gen 4 over the preferred grip of the Gen 3 because of it.

Couldn't be a more perfect example of how fitting your hand and preference fits into it. Many people share your grip angle thoughts. I do not.

CitizenBBN
01-10-2016, 12:02 AM
That's the thing about guns. No one style works for everyone. That's why it's always so good to just get it in your hand, b/c everyone is different.

suncat05
01-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Catonahottinroof.........if in 9 mm I wholeheartedly recommend the Ruger LC9s. My daughter LOVES hers, it fits in her smallish hand nicely, and with the right ammunition, very, very controllable upon firing. I bought her several boxes of the Hornady Critical Defense Luger Lite 100 grain Flex Tip ammo. Very good, very light 9 mm ammo that shoots well and doesn't have a heavy recoil in that small of a 9 mm handgun. And if you find the right dealer to buy from, the price will be good too. At the last gun show I went to over in Ft. Myers, Shoot Straight had them on sale, brand new, for $268.00. Darn good price for a darn good gun.
I am going to do some T&E for my agency with the new Ruger ammunition that we discussed in another thread here recently, but the 9 mm isn't out on the market yet and Ruger hasn't sent us any of it yet either.

Catonahottinroof
01-10-2016, 08:34 AM
She just didn't like the width of the Glock in her hand versus the Ruger. So she is now the proud owner of an LC9s as her cc weapon.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2016, 10:25 AM
A very good choice! Congratulations to her.

suncat05
01-10-2016, 10:26 AM
She just didn't like the width of the Glock in her hand versus the Ruger. So she is now the proud owner of an LC9s as her cc weapon.

Very good! Either one is an excellent choice, but again, as I have stated here many times, whatever fits in your (her) hand.....she will be very happy with the Ruger LC9s.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect she will be very pleased with the weight difference too, depending how she carries. The LC9 is nearly a half pound lighter than the G27. It will be easier to conceal and carry.

Catonahottinroof
01-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I had an LC9 a ways back and the trigger was a bother to me, but it is better on the LC9s model, much better. It's nice, light and slim and does what she needs it to do. It just came down to grip, or width of grip. The Glock was her idea, but it's a little too wide, a little to snappy after she fired it a few times.
I tried the Glock too. I didn't like the grip either.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2016, 03:11 PM
I tried the Glock too. I didn't like the grip either.

We are not alone, but we are in the minority. It is touted as better than Gen 3.

Catonahottinroof
01-10-2016, 05:53 PM
The Glock requires this $40 magazine to feel remotely comfortable to me, to give your pinky a place to rest. It still didn't feel totally good even with this magazine.

ukblue
01-14-2016, 08:18 AM
She might be more satisfied with a glock 26 rather than the 27. She would have to have a grip like a gorilla to control the 27. jmo

Catonahottinroof
01-14-2016, 08:50 AM
We've already made our purchase of a Ruger. However, we fired a 26 along with a 43. The 43 was easier to hold and a little closer than the 26 or 27 to our final purchase. She just happens to like the controllability of the Ruger LC9s the best.

suncat05
01-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Since they fixed the grip angle on the Gen 4 Glocks, I have warmed up to them considerably more than before. I have even considered buying one now, And after the general elections next November we'll have a new Sheriff here, and I have heard rumors that if this one individual is elected then we may be getting the Gen 4 Glock 23's as duty weapons. I don't care one way or the other, as long as it goes "BOOM!" when I pull the trigger. It's the Sheriff's gun, he's just letting me hold it.
I am much more of a Sig Sauer and H&K guy, but I have no issues with the Gen 4 Glock.
Cat, I'm glad your wife likes the Ruger LC9s. Very nice handgun. Ruger has stepped up its game with their newer firearms. Smoother, rounder profiles, much smoother triggers, smaller and nowhere near as big & bulky as the older models are. And as I said, my daughter loves hers.

Catonahottinroof
01-14-2016, 10:35 AM
For her it's the best conceal weapon too. That's just a bonus.

Catonahottinroof
01-18-2016, 09:53 AM
I am much more of a Sig Sauer and H&K guy, but I have no issues with the Gen 4 Glock.

I am a SIG guy as well.

suncat05
01-18-2016, 11:28 AM
I own a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. Added the short reach trigger, it fits perfectly in my hand and the trigger reach is correct for me. Shoots smoothly, accurate as can be, compact enough for my needs, and feeds any ammo I put through it. No complaints here at all.

Catonahottinroof
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM
I own the same and have had it 20+ years. It's comfortable like, like family :)

suncat05
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I bought mine in 1999. The Clinton magazine ban was law at that time, so my high cap mags cost me a bundle. I bought more after the ban expired, so I have what I need. I even still have the two 10 round mags that came standard with it at that time.

I am still amazed that some people believe that limiting the magazine capacity to 10 rounds is meaningful and helps reduce any kind of crime or the ability to commit a mass shooting. The wonder of liberal logic.

Catonahottinroof
01-18-2016, 12:25 PM
I learned to fire my dad's Browning. To me the SIG had similar feel and performance and I've never changed. The S&W .40 was a bit for my wife to fire. Both in the SIG and also in the Glock. I'm not a Glock fan and as it turned out I didn't have to buy her one....:)

suncat05
01-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Yes, I agree. But I do like the new Gen 4 Glocks, as I said earlier. I have also fired the S&W compact 9mm, belongs to a friend of mine. Nice gun, very controllable, decent sight picture, accurate. The only thing I found a bit odd about it is that little 'pigtail' lever inside the magazine well that you have to pull up to field strip it for cleaning. That kind of through me a loop when I saw it after I read the instruction manual. But aside from that, the S&W is money, AFAIC.