PDA

View Full Version : Left, Right, Center

CattyWampus
11-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm an old fart, but when it comes to political engagement, I'm a newbie by most standards. While I have a long voting history, I was never one to get hung up much on ideologies. By lurking here for a long time without actually contributing to the discourse, I have learned a lot.

Whether you're watching TV, listening to talk radio, or reading political message boards, there is all ways a lot of labeling from all directions. The media seems to be quick at labeling someone "far right", but rarely do you see them use the term "far left". Why is that?

Keeping in mind that I haven't been a student of political science until the last few years, I'd like some assistance in helping me figure out a few head-scratchers. Based on my observances, it seems like the middle point of the ideology scale has been shifted leftward over the last ten years or so. My reasoning is simple, but maybe some of you would label it as too simplistic.

First, it seems to me a ideological label should be applied on a politician's history of governance and not on his/her personal opinions, especially on social issues. Individually, a persons ideological label should be based on what they think the federal government's role should be. With that in mind, how can someone who believes in and has governed by the adherence to the constitution be labeled as "far right", or for that matter, "right" at all? Why is someone who believes that the federal government shouldn't spend more than it takes in, labeled a "rightwinger". Wouldn't those attributes put that individual right square in the middle of the ideological scale?

Second, what the heck is a moderate? A lot of people seem to be quick in labeling themselves as a moderate, but it seems like they do that to show that they are "reasonable thinkers". I think that some who label themselves as moderates do so because they consider themselves a fiscal conservative and social liberal, as if when you balance those, the scale reads "moderate". I guess if fiscal issues and social issues carry the same weight when it comes to your principles, "moderate" is as good a label as any, but just how many of those self-labeled "moderates" see fiscal and social issues as equally important?

Ideological labels, for me, are a tough thing to reconcile. I'm a simple man who thinks in simple terms. I consider myself to be conservative. I believe in the adherence to the constitution, I believe in fiscal responsibility, I believe in limited federal governance, I believe in a strong national defense without the need to be the "world's policeman", I'm pro-life, I favor gun ownership, and I believe that marriage is sanctioned by God and should not be sanctioned by the government. What is it about my beliefs that earns me a label of "rightwinger"?

Your assistance in clearing up my confusion is greatly appreciated.

Doc
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm an old fart, but when it comes to political engagement, I'm a newbie by most standards. While I have a long voting history, I was never one to get hung up much on ideologies. By lurking here for a long time without actually contributing to the discourse, I have learned a lot.

Whether you're watching TV, listening to talk radio, or reading political message boards, there is all ways a lot of labeling from all directions. The media seems to be quick at labeling someone "far right", but rarely do you see them use the term "far left". Why is that?

Two reasons. One, the media for the most part is a liberal leaning source hence when somebody is far left to them is only seen as slightly left. Kruchev to them as far left.
Second, liberals love to classify folks, usually in less than complimentary ways. You don't like Obama, you're a racist. Don't want to pay for some hosebags college students birth control then you are against women... and are a racist. You want to stop entitlements then you hate the poor.. and are a racist. You want people to immigrate legally then you hate latinos thus are racist.

Keeping in mind that I haven't been a student of political science until the last few years, I'd like some assistance in helping me figure out a few head-scratchers. Based on my observances, it seems like the middle point of the ideology scale has been shifted leftward over the last ten years or so. My reasoning is simple, but maybe some of you would label it as too simplistic.

First, it seems to me a ideological label should be applied on a politician's history of governance and not on his/her personal opinions, especially on social issues. Individually, a persons ideological label should be based on what they think the federal government's role should be. With that in mind, how can someone who believes in and has governed by the adherence to the constitution be labeled as "far right", or for that matter, "right" at all? Why is someone who believes that the federal government shouldn't spend more than it takes in, labeled a "rightwinger". Wouldn't those attributes put that individual right square in the middle of the ideological scale?

I agree but its not the case. Currently the labels are put there more for social issue rather than political issues. Liberals are prochoice, pro-gun control, pro Universal health care, etc... all social issues. You ask a liberal they will also claim to be pro-reductions in spending however their actions are not such that would support that. Likewise their plan to do that is tax the hell out of somebody else. However the overriding issues that define a political ideaology are the social issues.

Second, what the heck is a moderate? A lot of people seem to be quick in labeling themselves as a moderate, but it seems like they do that to show that they are "reasonable thinkers". I think that some who label themselves as moderates do so because they consider themselves a fiscal conservative and social liberal, as if when you balance those, the scale reads "moderate". I guess if fiscal issues and social issues carry the same weight when it comes to your principles, "moderate" is as good a label as any, but just how many of those self-labeled "moderates" see fiscal and social issues as equally important?

You have described me. I'm a strong fiscal conservative but lean liberal on social issues but feel social issues should not be federally regulated. To me most social issues are state issues.

Ideological labels, for me, are a tough thing to reconcile. I'm a simple man who thinks in simple terms. I consider myself to be conservative. I believe in the adherence to the constitution, I believe in fiscal responsibility, I believe in limited federal governance, I believe in a strong national defense without the need to be the "world's policeman", I'm pro-life, I favor gun ownership, and I believe that marriage is sanctioned by God and should not be sanctioned by the government. What is it about my beliefs that earns me a label of "rightwinger"?

Fiscal conservative makes you a right wringer.

Your assistance in clearing up my confusion is greatly appreciated.

CattyWampus
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Fiscal conservative makes you a right wringer.

If that's the case, can I call myself a proud rightwinger? (not to be confused with being "severely conservative")

Doc
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
If that's the case, can I call myself a proud rightwinger? (not to be confused with being "severely conservative)

Absolutely....

BigBluePappy
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
And, you are in god company, no matter what your political inclinations be.
I too consider myself a very conservative fiscal person and more liberal on social issues.

Sounds like a Libertarian.:050: