PDA

View Full Version : This isn't funny... But..

Darrell KSR
12-07-2015, 11:42 AM
I had to chuckle a little.

Somebody I don't really know posted this August 16.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Six days later...

Glad everybody is ok.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Glad they're OK, and proof my mother was right to make sure my first car was a big, clunkly, slow car.

BigBluePappy
12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
It doesn't look too fast or sporty, but it amazes me (me and the missus were discussing this just Saturday) how some parents think they are being so good to their kids and get them a Mustang, or Camaro or Charger for their first car.
Why would you give a rookie driver the keys to a performance vehicle, and turn them loose?
Of course when my grandson was going to get his first car, I had found an older Ranger 4x4, his biological grandfather had found him a little newer Focus, nothing doing, Mom and Dad arranged for him to get a Ford Contour that had the performance package. Not a muscle car I know but at that point you can just sit back and wait for the inevitable and pray that he does not get killed, seriously injured or hurt someone else or kill someone.
That car lasted about a month and a half, thankfully he did not get hurt and when it came time to replace it, they put him in a Ford Taurus, SVO.
About another month and a half, thankfully no one was hurt and the parents have now learned, the boy can't drive a nail, why give him something that can kill him or someone else; he is without a car at the time.
Guess biological and I weren't so far off base after all...

Doc
12-11-2015, 03:56 PM
It doesn't look too fast or sporty, but it amazes me (me and the missus were discussing this just Saturday) how some parents think they are being so good to their kids and get them a Mustang, or Camaro or Charger for their first car.
Why would you give a rookie driver the keys to a performance vehicle, and turn them loose?
Of course when my grandson was going to get his first car, I had found an older Ranger 4x4, his biological grandfather had found him a little newer Focus, nothing doing, Mom and Dad arranged for him to get a Ford Contour that had the performance package. Not a muscle car I know but at that point you can just sit back and wait for the inevitable and pray that he does not get killed, seriously injured or hurt someone else or kill someone.
That car lasted about a month and a half, thankfully he did not get hurt and when it came time to replace it, they put him in a Ford Taurus, SVO.
About another month and a half, thankfully no one was hurt and the parents have now learned, the boy can't drive a nail, why give him something that can kill him or someone else; he is without a car at the time.
Guess biological and I weren't so far off base after all...

The car above is a Honda. Don't make cars much safer than Honda's in my opinion. To be honest, I'd take a Japanese car for new driver over an American made one based on safety any day. With our daughter, her first car was a Scion, bought brand new. That was 8 years ago and she is still driving it. Our son got a used Mercedes 2 years ago and we have few worries about safety. Son wanted a mustang or a charger. Wasn't going to happen. My first car was a classic Mustang (66) that I wrapped around a tree (in 1981, 2 years after I acquired it). Probably a good thing I had all that Detroit iron around me though rather than my mother's Pinto that I was driving prior to that because if I'd been in that tinderbox, odds are I'd not be posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo

suncat05
12-14-2015, 09:46 AM
My very first car was a 1965 Chevrolet Bel-Air with a 6 cylinder engine. I was always having to do minor work on it. It seemed like the hood was up on that car every other day. But I learned quickly that if something was wrong, it was my responsibility to fix it.
So when it was time for my daughter to get her first car, I bought her an old 2001 Toyota Corolla that was in fairly good shape considering the mileage it had on it. She didn't have anywhere or near the types of problems I had with that old worn out Chevy, but she learned that 1) having an old car can be problematic at the most inopportune times, and 2) since she was in Gainesville and I am down in south Florida, she was on her own to figure it out. She learned and adapted well.
Now she has a brand new Honda, which she loves, and which she treats with kid gloves.
I learned from my parents, and my daughter learned from me. A new car for a new driver is a bad idea, in most cases. Give them an "old beater" to learn on, and they'll be much more appreciative of a new car when they've "earned it" on their own.

badrose
12-14-2015, 08:31 PM
My first car wouldn't fall out of a tree.