PDA

View Full Version : Plastic/rubber stopper needed for coin bank

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Friend of mine who used to play for Auburn many years ago gave me a coin bank today to give to my 14-year old son, who is an Auburn fan. (He's also a Kentucky fan--basketball and football, but folks, it's hard to avoid Alabama and Auburn allegiance in this state growing up lol.)

Anyway, it's a pretty neat little bank he's had for years--he claimed since he played for Auburn in the 70's--and it was a bank give-a-way from a bank that has long since been out of business, or changed names, or something.

Here's the bank. Forgive the paperwork in the background. I wish I could (my desk).

Unfortunately, he has long since lost the stopper to it, or it broke or something. Here's the bottom of it (I know these are bad pics, but it's 10:30 pm my time on a Sunday night, and I'm still at the office. So nothing I'm doing is working right now lol.

Anyway, I was hoping to fix this up with a stopper if possible, or make one if it could be done very easy, or better yet, buy one. Anybody have any great ideas? I'm sure there is a ruler around here where I could measure it too, but I'm not looking for one tonight.

Any great thoughts are appreciated. And no hurry on the great thoughts.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Oh--if it matters, it's some sort of metal. It's bronze looking, but it's probably some old pot metal of sorts. It's still pretty cool. (I love vintage stuff like this myself. Show me a mechanical pencil with advertising from a company in the 1950's, and I'm in hog heaven. Anything like that.)

dan_bgblue
12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
If the hole is 3/4" x 3/4" then this is one solution. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=102922&catid=701

I know they also make plugs for 1/2"x1/2" ID tubing, just have not found them on the net yet.

BigBluePappy
12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
The closest thing I have been able to find is here (http://www.mcmaster.com/#square-tube-plugs/=1054n0b), but I don't think the qty is feasible for you.

Darrell KSR
12-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll measure it and this looks great.

Although I wouldn't want 100, that price isn't astronomical. So if I need to go that direction, I could

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KeithKSR
12-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Cut a piece of plastic or metal to fit the hole then epoxy into place. Cut a 1.5 inch hole in the bottom and go to auto parts store and get a rubber expansion plug for the new round hole.

Darrell KSR
12-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Cut a piece of plastic or metal to fit the hole then epoxy into place. Cut a 1.5 inch hole in the bottom and go to auto parts store and get a rubber expansion plug for the new round hole.
Another very good idea.

kingcat
12-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Another very good idea.

And if it freezes while wet the bank won't bust. :)

You can also use what they call a blind grommet (hardware store) with Keiths idea (below)

or any type hole grommet I guess. Or just the screw on square cover

http://www.midatlanticrubber.com/images/oem-illustrations/blind-grommet.jpg