PDA

View Full Version : Gun wish list? Have anything you're looking at?

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't have a whole lot, but I'm interested in adding a couple of items for specific reasons. I'll share mine, but you have to share yours, too.

.22 rifle. Doesn't every gun owner have one of these? I don't. I'd like to get one that is a bolt action, with a magazine of some capacity, whether 5-shot, 7-shot, etc. Fun to shoot, inexpensive, reliable.

Glock 19. Doesn't every Glock gun owner have this one? I have a hand size that fits this pretty well, probably Gen 4 better than Gen 3 (Gen 4 has a narrower grip, although the width is the same), but I'd take either, especially if there's a big price difference. I'd like to have a 9mm handgun with this type of magazine capacity (15 standard). At one time I was thinking of the Sccy-2, but I did not like the trigger on it after looking at it carefully.

Taurus Judge. Not sure "which" one, but I like this concept a lot. Load it with .410 shotshell personal defense load, and it serves a lot of good purposes (as KentuckyWildcat and CitizenBBN discussed in the other thread about online gun sales). I have no desire to shoot .45 colt (or whatever it is) out of it; this would be for a specific purpose that I think is met well with the .410 shotshell defense load. And I'm familiar with the Smith & Wesson Governor, which has a little more flexibility in ammo choice, but again, that's not what I want to use it for.

There's my wish list. Of course, things stay on my wish list for years before I do anything about it, but someday....

Now--I want to read what's on YOUR wish list. And why.

KeithKSR
12-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I've got my eye on an AR variant, hope to get one before there is another run that jacks prices beyond reasonable. I'd also like a 9mm, though I have a hard time choosing which one I want. I Like the various versions of the M&P, the Glock 19, one of the Sigs, etc.

I've been contemplating turning one of my 12 ga pumps into a home defense weapon. I like my Mossberg's smooth action better than the Remington, but can add an extended magazine tube to the Remington. I've already purchased the furniture, which will fit either, just need to decide which I am going to use and get the 18.5" home defense barrel.

suncat05
12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
I want another AR, but of the piston driven variety, and same caliber as my A2 variant. I also am somewhat interested in the Mossberg MVP in .223/5.56 mm, because it's a bolt action and because it uses standard AR-15 magazines. I would really like to buy two of the Ruger LC9s, as my daughter has an LC9, and all of us love it. Good hand fit for all of us, decent capacity, excellent concealed carry gun, and they're not "pricey". I am thinking that when I am finally able to get one, the J-frame becomes a 'safe queen' and a last resort, last stand piece. And finally, sometime or other I am going to rebuild my Remington 870 police model 12 gauge and make it 'faster', or 'racier' as it were.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
I've got my eye on an AR variant, hope to get one before there is another run that jacks prices beyond reasonable. I'd also like a 9mm, though I have a hard time choosing which one I want. I Like the various versions of the M&P, the Glock 19, one of the Sigs, etc.

I've been contemplating turning one of my 12 ga pumps into a home defense weapon. I like my Mossberg's smooth action better than the Remington, but can add an extended magazine tube to the Remington. I've already purchased the furniture, which will fit either, just need to decide which I am going to use and get the 18.5" home defense barrel.

Keith, you and I are a lot alike on the 9mm. I've gone back and forth with what I want with one--visited with the M&P, I looked at Suncat's LC9, I actually like the SCCY-2 a lot, too. Sigs are terrific.

I also thought about the G43 single stack, since I like those, too. After long consideration over what I wanted it for, the best choice to me seemed to be the Glock 19.

I think there are a lot of terrific 9mm handguns out there, with some very attractive prices on some, too.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:38 PM
I want another AR, but of the piston driven variety, and same caliber as my A2 variant. I also am somewhat interested in the Mossberg MVP in .223/5.56 mm, because it's a bolt action and because it uses standard AR-15 magazines. I would really like to buy two of the Ruger LC9s, as my daughter has an LC9, and all of us love it. Good hand fit for all of us, decent capacity, excellent concealed carry gun, and they're not "pricey". I am thinking that when I am finally able to get one, the J-frame becomes a 'safe queen' and a last resort, last stand piece. And finally, sometime or other I am going to rebuild my Remington 870 police model 12 gauge and make it 'faster', or 'racier' as it were.

Suncat, if I'm reading it right, are you thinking that the LC9 will replace your current J-frame? Which J-frame do you carry, and if you don't mind my asking (feel free not to answer), is that your duty weapon?

CitizenBBN
12-06-2015, 11:41 PM
I really like j-frames. My favorite is a 60-9, stainless 357. Only 5 shot but cant' beat a 357 or even 38+P. Also have a S&W 38 that I put Wolff springs in, very smooth.

They dont' have the capacity but they're dog reliable and carry well.

not sure what I'd like to have. The nature of my business is that a lot of guns come through, sometimes I see one I really like and I may hang on to it a while (the ones I buy outright, not any that are consigned for auction of course), but I have a ready way to turn them over too.

I may get the Saiga AK based 12 ga shotgun just for zombies and such. 10 round 12 Ga mag that shoots like an AK. Lot of firepower just in case.

KeithKSR
12-07-2015, 06:25 AM

I really like the looks of the Mossberg MVP, once I have an AR that one advances to the upper rung of the wish list. It looks like it would be a good varmint rifle.

suncat05
12-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Suncat, if I'm reading it right, are you thinking that the LC9 will replace your current J-frame? Which J-frame do you carry, and if you don't mind my asking (feel free not to answer), is that your duty weapon?

Darrell, mine is a Model 37, aluminum frame with a steel cylinder, will only shoot standard. 38 special rounds. Very lightweight, easy to carry, always carry 2 spring assisted speed loaders in my pocket, so I have a total of 15 shots available. This is one of my off-duty carry options. I also carry my agency issue H&K USP compact in 40 S&W most of the time, however, and I always carry 2 reloads, plus I also have more reloads in my cars and truck too. Many times I will carry both, depending on where I may be going. I also keep a spring assisted tanto folding knife on me too.

Darrell KSR
12-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks, always interested.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
I'll rehash from the other thread some.

I'm getting the 9mm Shield and Judge soon so those are tops on my list.

After that, I want some kind of 7.62x39 SBR, suppressed, with a night vision scope. I'm not real sure why, but that is what I want next. Not sure I can justify that financially or to the wife. Part of me wants a 9mm carbine or crossbow as well, with maybe a red dot or laser.

suncat05
12-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Justify it to the wife??

Heavens to mercatroid! What she doesn't know isn't going to hurt you! She doesn't need to know until you pass her with it on your way out the door...........

suncat05
12-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Of course, I have kinda been interested in one of those 12 gauge Remington 11-87's too, but that may still just be the one that I will never be able to get. One of those is way more than what I have now. But I guess that's why it's called a "wish list".

KentuckyWildcat
12-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Justify it to the wife??

Heavens to mercatroid! What she doesn't know isn't going to hurt you! She doesn't need to know until you pass her with it on your way out the door...........

Ha! The fact we are buying two is amazing. She is not anti-gun but she doesn't understand them so she is not comfortable with them. Thankfully she is starting to see the need for self defense. I have the SKS in the house to keep coyotes away from the cows, she has become comfortable with that. There is also my dad's 38 sitting by the bed. She doesn't know that is there. :)

CitizenBBN
12-07-2015, 05:39 PM
You mentioned the SKS, one of my personal favorites. rugged, reliable, simple, accurate enough for what I need.

BTW if anyone wants one let me know. I need to thin down in that department.

been trying to think of a pre-done 7.62 SBR. How short do you want it? One good option is to custom do one and pay the license tax, and a SKS wouldn't be a bad option there b/c the barrels can be cut down without huge fuss. If you want right at 16" you could get a "paratrooper" model that's a bit shorter than standard, I have one and really like it. Put the mall ninja furniture on it, all plastic collapsible stock. Looks a little redneck but it fits and handles well.

KeithKSR
12-07-2015, 06:29 PM
You mentioned the SKS, one of my personal favorites. rugged, reliable, simple, accurate enough for what I need.

BTW if anyone wants one let me know. I need to thin down in that department.

been trying to think of a pre-done 7.62 SBR. How short do you want it? One good option is to custom do one and pay the license tax, and a SKS wouldn't be a bad option there b/c the barrels can be cut down without huge fuss. If you want right at 16" you could get a "paratrooper" model that's a bit shorter than standard, I have one and really like it. Put the mall ninja furniture on it, all plastic collapsible stock. Looks a little redneck but it fits and handles well.

Bought a Norinco SKS off my nephew for $150 back in '99 or 2000. My son-in-law borrowed my late BIL's Remington Woodsmaster in .243 and was practicing with it, he couldn't hit the pumpkin with a scope at 100 yards, I brought out my SKS and destroyed it with the SKS shooting iron sights. It's super dependable and fun to shoot. Imdidnditch the clunky stock and replaced it with a new synthetic Monte Carlo sporter I picked up for $25 at a gun show.

Any of your SKS rifles use the AK mags?

KentuckyWildcat
12-07-2015, 07:02 PM
been trying to think of a pre-done 7.62 SBR. How short do you want it?

Seems like most are in the 223 or 556, but as I've said, I don't want a lot of ammo. Have not given it a lot of thought really. Pretty far down the wish list right now, but I've always been intrigued.

CitizenBBN
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Keith, yes I happen to possess an SKS-D, which is the model that came from Norinco set up for AK mags. probably the most valuable and hard to find of all the SKSs including the Albanian ones. Not sure what I even have in it but I'd like to sell it. I'm tempted to keep it b/c I like having AK versus SKS duckbill mags, but I'm still going to sell it. Can't hold on to them all.

CitizenBBN
12-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Seems like most are in the 223 or 556, but as I've said, I don't want a lot of ammo. Have not given it a lot of thought really. Pretty far down the wish list right now, but I've always been intrigued.

Just hit me what you may be looking for, and if so I actually may have what you want, the DRACO 7.62 pistol by Century. total length of under 22", 12 or 13" barrel. standard AK receiver takes stock AK mags. Comes with a pistol grip but if you wanted something more rifle you could put an underfolder on it pretty easy.

Oh, and I think I also have an AK or two with underfolders or side folders that would fit the bill fairly well too. But the Draco is truly SBS size.

KeithKSR
12-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Keith, yes I happen to possess an SKS-D, which is the model that came from Norinco set up for AK mags. probably the most valuable and hard to find of all the SKSs including the Albanian ones. Not sure what I even have in it but I'd like to sell it. I'm tempted to keep it b/c I like having AK versus SKS duckbill mags, but I'm still going to sell it. Can't hold on to them all.

Any idea what the price will be?

jazyd
12-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I didn't know anything about the judge so looked it up and saw a demo on YouTube, WOW. What a weapon. Got a friend with an ffl so might have him look for one. Citize, what's a good price for one

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2015, 08:51 AM
I didn't know anything about the judge so looked it up and saw a demo on YouTube, WOW. What a weapon. Got a friend with an ffl so might have him look for one. Citize, what's a good price for one

They are running about $430 new. Price varies on the store and exact model of course. Bud's Gun Shop was selling a black 3" chamber and barrel for $370 but I apparently missed that special. I have not seen many used ones out there.

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Also Jazy, I'll tell you the negative argument for them. Keep in mind I'm getting one so I like them.

Many say they do not have enough stopping power, are not accurate as a 45, big, and heavy.

Seems like many that claim the lack of stopping power only discuss having bird/buck shot in them. I intend on using the home defense rounds. It will stay by my bed so I'm okay with big and heavy as I do not have a desire to carry it expect maybe in the woods working on fences.

Winchester (PDX1)and Hornady (Triple Defense) both make some neat looking home defense rounds for them if you have not seen them.

Hickok45 did a fairly good review of them on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/qRlry5KH6I0

Also S&W makes a version but it does cost more. And someone, I forget who, makes a double barrel.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Chuck will tell you that I've been looking at the Taurus Judge for a LONG time. For me, I would put 5 rounds of the Winchester PDX-1 in it and be very happy with it. Just refreshed my memory this morning and saw a video of shooting at 5-, 7- and 10-yards. They admitted the 10-yards was stretching the limits of where you would want to shoot this a bit, but it did an admirable job even at that distance. The 3 defense discs stayed grouped tightly, and the shooter was a very good shooter and hit critical mass just where he wanted. The 12 copper plated "BBs" spread throughout, with, I think 5 of them missing the target at 10-yards (but 7 hitting) and I want to say 10 of the 12 hitting at 7-yards.

It's a speciality weapon, to be sure, but I think very effective and efficient for what it does. It is called "The Judge" as a tremendous marketing opportunity presented itself to Taurus. The company learned that many--not some, but many--south Florida/Miami area Judges had purchased the weapon to use in their courtroom. They relabeled it "The Judge," which I think is a stroke of genius.

Smith & Wesson makes "The Governor," which shoots 6 rather than 5, and has another advantage in that it shoots .45 ACP, rather than just .45 colt. Since I have zero desire to shoot .45 ACP in this weapon (I have another for that purpose), and my sole intent would be to use the PDX-1 personal defense .410 shotshells, this did not move my needle one bit. The Governor is quite a bit more expensive, which eliminates it from consideration for me.

(By the way, I like S&W's marketing, too. I think "The Judge" is a little better, but since Taurus grabbed that first, "The Governor" is pretty dang slick as well).

From what I remember, S&W only makes 1 or 2 models of The Governor, and there are 14,000 models of "The Judge" (not really, but a bunch--10-15 different models, for sure.)

suncat05
12-09-2015, 10:31 AM
The Judge & the Governor both serve a purpose. I would think either would be an adequate home defense weapon, or a good oversized snake gun. I can definitely see where either would work real well for either application though.

CitizenBBN
12-09-2015, 10:42 AM
The Judge or the Governor have more than enough stopping power, just don't use birdshot. Use the home defense loads, 3 copper slugs each as big as a 9mm type round, that's more than enough. The pellets are just for effect, but combine the whole thing and I guarantee you're way ahead of most handguns for stopping power.

This is a self defense weapon. self defense in most all situations happens within 7 yards. If you can be reasonably accurate to 7 yards with a gun and really accurate to 5 yards, you're probably in good shape for that class of weapon. My little 380 won't go on any deer hunts, but it's a "gut gun" designed for close quarter self defense, and the Judge is easily as accurate as any of those pocket pistols.

The drawbacks of the Judge are weight and carry size etc,, but that's not its main category. it's a vehicle/home gun primarily, giving you 410 compensation for accuracy and firepower without the size of a 410 shotgun, which is pretty unwieldy.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2015, 10:44 AM
The Judge & the Governor both serve a purpose. I would think either would be an adequate home defense weapon, or a good oversized snake gun. I can definitely see where either would work real well for either application though.
That's what I was thinking.

At home nightstand gun.
Woods snake gun. Maybe possum/racoon up close.
Maybe truck gun.

Limited purpose gun.

suncat05
12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Yes, a good vehicle gun too. Really good nightstand gun for the home, and a good snake/varmint gun if you're hiking or doing something outside in the woods.

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I am glad that you all like it as well. Makes me feel better about it. My expert buddy hates them, but they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for at home.

suncat05
12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Darrell, mine is a Model 37, aluminum frame with a steel cylinder, will only shoot standard. 38 special rounds. Very lightweight, easy to carry, always carry 2 spring assisted speed loaders in my pocket, so I have a total of 15 shots available. This is one of my off-duty carry options. I also carry my agency issue H&K USP compact in 40 S&W most of the time, however, and I always carry 2 reloads, plus I also have more reloads in my cars and truck too. Many times I will carry both, depending on where I may be going. I also keep a spring assisted tanto folding knife on me too.

Darrell, I cleaned my J-frame the other day, and I have mistakenly told you the cylinder is steel. The cylinder is actually an aluminum alloy cylinder. My mistake. Apologies.

KeithKSR
12-09-2015, 06:38 PM
That's what I was thinking.

At home nightstand gun.
Woods snake gun. Maybe possum/racoon up close.
Maybe truck gun.

Limited purpose gun.

Does the Judge handle .410 slugs?

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Does the Judge handle .410 slugs?

My understanding is yes.

The hornady triple defense is a slug with two other larger caliber pellets.

pdx1 is 3 disc like bullets. Almost like 3 flat slugs.

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2015, 07:24 PM
The defense options seems to be a better choice than a straight slug.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

http://www.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/

CitizenBBN
12-09-2015, 08:54 PM
The defense loads are a great compromise. either a single slug or shooting 45 colt gives you one round, the self defense loads do spread out some so you get a bit more error in your shooting, and in a situation where you'd be using it that's a good thing.

They aren't a purist weapon, I get that, but I think they can be effective in the role in which they are intended.

Lots of experts don't like j-frames either b/c of the 5 round capacity, I still really like them and they've proven effective for many decades.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2015, 09:06 PM
They do take anything in . 410, including slugs. I've read a couple of things on that and one claimed it was probably not a great load, and would tumble soon out of the barrel, another actually tested it out to some distance longer than you'd need and found it accurate. I remember them saying it was was more accurate the 45 colt load when they tested it at the same distance.

I really like the 3 discs that are 9mmish in size surrounded by the 12 bbs to account for variances in my quick self defense shooting. I think it was Winchester PDX-1, although I may have them mixed up. That would be my preferred load. But I can see arguments for a lot of them, including the 00 buckshot load with 4 pellets. Lot of flexibility with that handgun.

suncat05
12-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I went to a gun show this past weekend @ the Lee County Civic Center just outside of Ft. Myers. Shoot Straight had a sale on Ruger LC9s, $289 + tax. I was so tempted to buy one for my wife, but then, of course, as I was walking out the door to go she just had to be a killjoy and told me to choose being married to her or buying a gun and getting a divorce. The choices I have to make, darn it!

KentuckyWildcat
12-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Not the model I want but this price seems to be about as good as it gets.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77960/Taurus+4510PLYFS+M4510+Public+Defender+5RD+2.5%22+ 410ga45LC+2%22

As soon as I can catch the 3" inch chamber and barrel at that price again it is mine.

KentuckyWildcat
12-14-2015, 06:28 PM
The 2" inch barrel seems to get a lot of good reviews.

KeithKSR
12-14-2015, 07:02 PM
The 2" inch barrel seems to get a lot of good reviews.

It is more concealable.

Darrell KSR
12-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Not the model I want but this price seems to be about as good as it gets.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77960/Taurus+4510PLYFS+M4510+Public+Defender+5RD+2.5%22+ 410ga45LC+2%22

As soon as I can catch the 3" inch chamber and barrel at that price again it is mine.

FWIW, I started with the idea that I loved the 3" chamber and barrel, and wouldn't take anything else. After months of looking and thinking about it, and holding a couple, I came to the conclusion that the exact one you just linked was my personal favorite.

Everybody has different tastes. Keith mentioned it being more concealable. That's not a huge issue for me, but a bonus. I liked the lightweight nature of it, and from people I spoke with, it still shot reliably well, despite the 2" barrel, which was a big issue for me.

I bet you'd like it. If I ever pull the trigger, that's the one I'll likely get (although frankly, I like more than one of them, too).

Darrell KSR
12-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Darrell, I cleaned my J-frame the other day, and I have mistakenly told you the cylinder is steel. The cylinder is actually an aluminum alloy cylinder. My mistake. Apologies.

Thanks, suncat. I always enjoy reading what a professional carries.

suncat05
12-15-2015, 08:52 AM
During the holidays here, and with all of this terrorist nonsense happening, I have taken to carrying both lately. Hopefully not likely that anything happens over this way, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

KentuckyWildcat
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
FWIW, I started with the idea that I loved the 3" chamber and barrel, and wouldn't take anything else. After months of looking and thinking about it, and holding a couple, I came to the conclusion that the exact one you just linked was my personal favorite.

Everybody has different tastes. Keith mentioned it being more concealable. That's not a huge issue for me, but a bonus. I liked the lightweight nature of it, and from people I spoke with, it still shot reliably well, despite the 2" barrel, which was a big issue for me.

I bet you'd like it. If I ever pull the trigger, that's the one I'll likely get (although frankly, I like more than one of them, too).

That one has your name on it!

dan_bgblue
12-15-2015, 11:44 AM
I do not know if you folks will agree with the info provided in this write up about the Judge as there is nothing really scientific about the info, just the thoughts and shooting results from someone that wanted to test the weapon in their own way.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-41-the-taurus-judge-vs-the-box-o-truth/

dan_bgblue
12-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Another Judge article. Like Darrell, I have been interested in this handgun for quite some time, but have yet to purchase one. I do believe that day is getting closer.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/verdict-taurus-public-defender-review

KentuckyWildcat
12-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Dan, I glanced at the first article and if IIRC from reading it before, he was not a fan overall. This gun has it fair share of haters and I understand their point. If I completely had my choice it would be a Short Barrel automatic 12 gauge with about 20 rounds for home defense. But as I said originally my wife is "comfortable" with this one.

It will not pack the punch of other guns, but it is better than bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'm comfortable with that.

Darrell KSR
12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Dan, I glanced at the first article and if IIRC from reading it before, he was not a fan overall. This gun has it fair share of haters and I understand their point. If I completely had my choice it would be a Short Barrel automatic 12 gauge with about 20 rounds for home defense. But as I said originally my wife is "comfortable" with this one.

It will not pack the punch of other guns, but it is better than bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'm comfortable with that.

A short barrel automatic shotgun is not going to be in my house, unless I'm suddenly living by myself. So compromises and sacrifices are made, much like in many other areas of a marriage and a family. Plus I wouldn't be taking the short-barrelled shotgun with me in a pinch situation to carry, or my office late at night, etc.

Anyway, there are certainly proponents and opponents. I think if you educate yourself well on what you want, and why you want it, you'll fall naturally to one side or the other.

I appreciate that good price you posted, and as I said, that happens to be the one that really turned out to be my favorite (although I could frankly be swayed into a couple/few others, dependiing). But right now, it's probably my 3rd gun purchase to make behind the other two. I really think I need the .22 rifle (my wife would disagree, but when I give up my single shot 16 gauge shotgun, she'll be ok with it--and I have zero use for the single shot 16 gauge shotgun). And like many others, I'd like to have a handgun with decent stopping power that fits my hand well and also has a larger capacity than the ones I have now. I have a 9mm with an 8-shot magazine, and going to one with a 15-shot standard mag (with options for extended ones) seems like a natural to me, and many people might say I "need" that, too. So a G 19 (my choice, along with ten gazillion other owners, I guess) is also on my "to acquire" list before the Judge.

But make no mistake. The Judge is there. I think that it is a fine weapon for the purposes that have been discussed in here, and I really do have a niche for it in my home.

CitizenBBN
12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
That first article was when the gun first came out, before the 410 defense loads were introduced. He's right birdshot isn't the load for this gun, and I'd agree none of the regular 410 loads are as good as other options. But the defense loads have proven much more effective.

here's some discussion of those loads. Winchester and Hornady have been busy making better ammo for this gun, and they've succeeded.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/rethinking-the-power-of-the-410

Darrell KSR
12-15-2015, 09:36 PM
During the holidays here, and with all of this terrorist nonsense happening, I have taken to carrying both lately. Hopefully not likely that anything happens over this way, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I think I told you before that my father-in-law gave my daughter--who is not comfortable with carrying yet, and maybe never--a S&W 640 stainless .38 special. It is not the one that is made for .357, and it does not state it is for +P, either. And it's pretty heavy.

But it's a good looking handgun. And although my efforts at the practice range have been pretty darn poor with it and it's 1-7/8" barrel, it is an absolute pleasure to carry concealed, very easy, and with two speed clips I feel fine carrying it for close range, and hopefully to scare folks if it's not quite so close that my accuracy suffers, but their's might not lol. It won't replace my favorite carry weapon, but I do like it.

suncat05
12-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Cannot go wrong with that S&W 640 Darrell. Great. 38 special handgun. When my daughter went to Oklahoma to nursing school I loaned her my Taurus I85 for her protection. She likes the gun, but when she went to practice with it she complained about the weight 1) it is an all steel gun, and 2) she doesn't like the long trigger pull of a revolver. Right after she graduated and came home from school is when I accidentally came across the deal on the LC9. She LOVES this gun! She goes to shoot it about once a month and practices by 'dry fire' with snap caps that I bought for her. As I've stated here before, the trigger pull is so much smoother than any revolver that she has shot, and she loves it. And I am glad.
It fits in her hand perfectly. It is not a heavy gun. The trigger action is so smooth. It handles ANY ammunition I have given her to shoot in it. And she likes to practice with it. So hopefully she's ahead of the curve for self-protection in the event that she even has to display that handgun, God forbid.
I guess I sound like a salesman for Ruger, which is a bit strange because until I actually held one of these handguns I had not been a fan of much that is Ruger. But these Ruger LC9s' are nice compact, lightweight, and easy to shoot handguns. In my estimation you can't go wrong with one. JMHO.

blueboss
12-17-2015, 06:45 AM
I'm thinking Springfield XD, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I like the XD, would like to look hard at the smallest one in 45 ACP, you get 7 rounds of good stopping power in a very small package.