PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Star Trek: The Complete Original Series $23

Darrell KSR
12-05-2015, 10:15 PM
This is $15.99 for the original entire series, DVD, plus $6.98 shipping. I know there are a ton of Star Trek fans here, and although this isn't Blu-ray or anything, it's the original in all its glory. Great price if you ask me.

http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/171781

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Very fair price. I hear there may be a new ST series coming, I sure hope so. Not a lot of great TV out there unless you like quasi-reality stuff or cop dramas.

I do watch Castle but only b/c Nathan Fillian is my Captain and Stana Katic is hot and cute.

BigBluePappy
12-06-2015, 05:26 PM
I watch Castle, but who is this Nathan Fillion of whom you speak?

CitizenBBN
12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I watch Castle, but who is this Nathan Fillion of whom you speak?

Malcolm Reynolds to the initiated. :) (type-o there, sorry)

Really like him, he's super supportive of the fans. He and Alan Tudyk are doing a new show called Con Man, about Alan doing all the comic-cons over the years. It was crowd sourced, coming out on vimeo.

PedroDaGr8
12-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Very fair price. I hear there may be a new ST series coming, I sure hope so. Not a lot of great TV out there unless you like quasi-reality stuff or cop dramas.

I do watch Castle but only b/c Nathan Fillian is my Captain and Stana Katic is hot and cute.
Not a lot of great TV? Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc etc etc. Unless you meant not a lot of great TV on the mainstream channels. Quite frankly, this is one of the BEST times for television shows in a long long long time. Thanks to the success of shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men and others, we have seen many many more daring shows being attempted with great success.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Not a lot of great TV? Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc etc etc. Unless you meant not a lot of great TV on the mainstream channels. Quite frankly, this is one of the BEST times for television shows in a long long long time. Thanks to the success of shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men and others, we have seen many many more daring shows being attempted with great success.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

it's true there's a lot more options out there thanks to cable and original programming, but I don't get HBO or any other pay channels and I'm not a big fan of heavy dramas.

I can't argue your point, you're right that versus the days of three networks or even just the first wave of cable there are way better shows available. The problem is most of them don't click with me.

I respect that Game of Thrones etc/ are all high quality shows, and some of them have some sci-fi aspects I like, but overall most of them are serial dramas that focus on palace intrigue and such and they just don't resonate with me. I tried watching Walking Dead and while I respect the writing and nature of the show, I think I'm just not into the interpersonal drama part of these shows, and most if not all of these shows are heavy on interpersonal drama.

In that sense a lot of them are an extension of the original cop dramas that started the genre. Good sci-fi has great characterization and you'll get interpersonal drama as part of that, but it's not as heavy or central. At least to me.

So I respect those shows, but they don't really suit me I guess like shows like Star Trek. In a way they're all variations on Hill Street Blues and even if better done and really well written they're still dramas. I prefer sci-fi and at least dramas with some tongue in cheek comedy in there.

SalsaKat
12-08-2015, 10:41 AM
That is a heck of a deal. I would get that if I didn't already have them, as you may have guessed. Those also look like the same ones I have: the originals and not the upscaled HD ones. (for what it's worth, I would prefer the HD remasters but the wife is one heck of a TOS purist)

There is a new series coming but it will be online exclusive to CBS's All Access program. You will have to pay $6 a month to stream it, kind of like a Netflix or Amazon Prime original series. Though I do hope they release an episode a week rather than a whole season at once, since the thing I miss most about Star Trek is looking forward to the new episode each week.

I have nothing to add to or subtract from this. Actually scratch that, a third reason I watch Castle is because of the ridiculous situations they find themselves in, like murder at a Steampunk convention.

CitizenBBN
12-08-2015, 09:13 PM
salsa, I like the tongue in cheek way Castle is done. It's actually reminiscent of Firefly in that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I've been thinking of Pedro's point, and he's dead right. I guess I just dont' click with a lot of them, that's probably on me more than the shows.