PDA

View Full Version : Google Now question

Darrell KSR
12-05-2015, 09:43 PM
I appreciate the feature where it will pull things from my email and place it on my calendar.

But I pretty regularly receive incorrect emails designated for somebody else, such as an airplane trip for a Derrick Cartwright. I am not leaving from Miami tomorrow night headed to San Diego.

How can I stop that stuff from happening, or get it deleted once it starts?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PedroDaGr8
12-06-2015, 07:40 AM
I appreciate the feature where it will pull things from my email and place it on my calendar.

But I pretty regularly receive incorrect emails designated for somebody else, such as an airplane trip for a Derrick Cartwright. I am not leaving from Miami tomorrow night headed to San Diego.

How can I stop that stuff from happening, or get it deleted once it starts?

That doesn't sound like a Google now issue. Google now supposedly just pulls from your own email box, so if the tickets sore in YOUR email then it adds them

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Right. The email is in my email box because somebody is using my email erroneously.

KSRdallen
12-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Under settings in your Gmail calendar you can disable automatically add events to your calendar. The default is now Yes. Change to no.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but then it won't pull my emails into calendar. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it, too!

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 10:39 AM
I deleted the event from my calendar, maybe it's as simple as that and will keep me for getting notifications and cards.

dan_bgblue
12-06-2015, 10:58 AM
What about changing your Gmail account name to Horatio.Z.Heffenpecker@Gmail.com?

Doubtful there are any similar handles that would get confused with your mail.

KSRdallen
12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I deleted the event from my calendar, maybe it's as simple as that and will keep me for getting notifications and cards.

There were too many things being dragged into my calendar creating a mess of things, so I stopped it. I guess it depends on what works best for you.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 12:43 PM
If you saw my calendar your head would explode. I even have telephone calls that go into it. It's a mess.

The calendar itself doesn't bother me much. It's the Google Now cards that pop up reminding me of when my plane leaves from Miami, etc. that are irritating me. It may be solved by simply deleting the event from the calendar; if so, I was irritated for practically nothing, since it's so easy to delete.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
What about changing your Gmail account name to Horatio.Z.Heffenpecker@Gmail.com?

Doubtful there are any similar handles that would get confused with your mail.
I should. Then wouldn't keep getting these kind of things.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Or this.

PedroDaGr8
12-06-2015, 05:29 PM
You can also add a rule to your mailbox that anything with the name Derrick Cartwright (or whatever that name was) gets routed to spam. It should take care of most of this problem.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2015, 07:12 PM
You can also add a rule to your mailbox that anything with the name Derrick Cartwright (or whatever that name was) gets routed to spam. It should take care of most of this problem.

I've had at least half a dozen variants, probably more. Any D Cartwright. Probably double digits. My fault for taking just my initial, I guess, as an early adopter.

Darrell KSR
12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Today's is Dylan Cartwright.

Sigh.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Douglas Cartwright, I have your energy bill.

PedroDaGr8
12-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Haha, the only options I can forsee with this are:
1)slowly blocking each and every name combination
2) change your email addresses on everything important to d.cartwright and send everything to dcartwright to spam (risky). This is because google ignores periods. In google, d.cartwright@domain.com and dcartwright@domain.com are the same. So is d.cartwright+everythingafterthisplusisignored@doma in.com, because google ingnores anythign after a plus. You can use the +sign trick to see who is selling your email address to spam as well as organizing your mailbox. For example, for your verizon bill use the email address d.cartwright+verizon@domain.com. If you get a spam mail to d.cartwright+verizon@domain.com then you know who sold it. I used domain.com instead of Google so that you don't get more spam
3) track down each and every offender and go Chicago PD on them.

KeithKSR
12-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Haha, the only options I can forsee with this are:
1)slowly blocking each and every name combination
2) change your email addresses on everything important to d.cartwright and send everything to dcartwright to spam (risky). This is because google ignores periods. In google, d.cartwright@domain.com and dcartwright@domain.com are the same. So is d.cartwright+everythingafterthisplusisignored@doma in.com, because google ingnores anythign after a plus. You can use the +sign trick to see who is selling your email address to spam as well as organizing your mailbox. For example, for your verizon bill use the email address d.cartwright+verizon@domain.com. If you get a spam mail to d.cartwright+verizon@domain.com then you know who sold it. I used domain.com instead of Google so that you don't get more spam
3) track down each and every offender and go Chicago PD on them.

Good info, I didn't know about Google these Google issues.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM
I like #3 :)

You know, over time it probably isn't that many. My frustration probably enlarges the pool.

The best one was a lady named Donna Cartwright. For months she sent emails to herself, at my email address. I patiently emailed her for awhile and explained she was sending personal information to me (her doctor appointments, among other things), but to no avail, no response and the emails continued. Not every day, and maybe not every week. But consistently.

Finally I set up an auto message reply back to her when I got one from her that said something like, you are apparently attempting to send an email to yourself, but instead, you are sending your personal information to a lawyer in Birmingeham, Alabama.

I haven't checked to see if those emails have stopped, and all I was trying to do was to get her attention. Of course, I don't care what her personal life is about, but I hate to see somebody blindly send personal information to someone unintended.

BigBluePappy
12-10-2015, 06:01 AM
"I don't care what her personal life is about, but I hate to see somebody blindly send personal information to someone..."

Kind of like the Kardashians...:winking0011:

Darrell KSR
12-22-2015, 01:57 PM
And today I get a marching band "Winds ensemble" competition program packet for Directors. Apparently they think I am a band director. I can't tell to whom it was supposed to be addressed, but it's my email address.

Just never ceases.

Darrell KSR
12-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Here's a new one. It's about my rabbi's Shabbat Service and video. From Dianne Ruth Cartwright.

Sigh.

dan_bgblue
12-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Can you get the video for free? That might be interesting or just entertaining

Darrell KSR
12-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I'll check. I have her other email address. I'll tell her dan_bgblue would like to see it at KSR... the real one.

Darrell KSR
01-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Received two inadvertent emails today.

One for Douglas Cartwright. Apparently there was an issue related to the payment processed to his Champion Energy account.
The other is an annoying email I continue to receive from a Dr. Yunsil Park, of the Kumon learning center. I count seven times I have contacted him/her about this, and received one response that indicated they would take me off their mailing list. Nonetheless, I continue to receive emails months after that promise. I previously received an email about "Jaden," whoever that is. And some discussion of bounced checks. Embarrassing.

Darrell KSR
01-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Add Daniel Cartwright's FAFSA.

Man...busy day for misdirected emails.