PDA

View Full Version : Woodlawn.. The movie

Darrell KSR
11-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Haven't seen this, but the storyline is very appealing. Trying to talk family members into going at 4 this afternoon. If I'm not successful, I may go by myself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
I'm always late to the party, but really good movie. Through enjoyed. My daughter went with me and she also enjoyed it.

KentuckyWildcat
11-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm always late to the party, but really good movie. Through enjoyed. My daughter went with me and she also enjoyed it.

I've only heard great things about it. I wasn't able to go the night my church went. :(

Darrell KSR
11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
I've only heard great things about it. I wasn't able to go the night my church went. :(

I don't want this to sound bad either way, but I'll just say it.

I'm not fond of movies that are agenda based, even if it is faith-inspired. This one did not do that. It was historical in nature. Sure, faith is throughout the movie, and they put a small plug in after the movie is over, but for those who may not have the same faith beliefs as others, it is no reason to avoid the movie. It is Remember the Titans like, with historical faith inspirations contained therein. I think anyone should like it.

I'm thinking about going again to take my sons and wife today.

MickintheHam
11-27-2015, 06:44 PM
I need to see it. I am in Woodlawn several times a week. Occassionally, on my Sunday bicycle ride up 1st AV North to Avondale I extend it up to Woodlawn and loop around to the high school.

Darrell KSR
11-27-2015, 07:04 PM
You definitely should. You will enjoy it.

KSRBEvans
11-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Mrs. BEvans wanted to see it but it sounded a little formulaic to me. We'll check it out.

Darrell KSR
11-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Mrs. BEvans wanted to see it but it sounded a little formulaic to me. We'll check it out.

There's a theme in it, but it doesn't rise to an agenda, IMO. Alabama radio announcer plays a bit part in it, the Bear Bryant character was fun to watch, although I didn't find him particularly good. Jon Voigt was good. I admit to a bias with Woodlawn High School (son played basketball immediately behind it with his AAU team), downtown Birmingham, Legion Field, old tape of 1960's Birmingham as a prelude, etc. Cool to see some real 1973-4 film, too.

I read a few independent reviews before going, and they weren't bad. Not glowing, either but in the middle. I think it was fun, but trying to give full disclosure here.

Darrell KSR
12-02-2015, 06:30 AM
In a bizarre story, this happened at the movie theatre I attended a couple of days later. ..

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/12/christian_author_claims_free_m.html