PDA

View Full Version : You never know what the day is going to bring........

suncat05
11-25-2015, 11:11 AM
We were in the middle of court this morning when a call comes out over the radio that a man in the Tax Collector's Office was having a medical emergency. I signaled to my partner that I was responding, advised dispatch also. I ran down the steps and into the TCO, where one of the clerk's was standing beside the man who was standing at the counter.
I made contact with the man. He was looking right at me, but his eyes were blank. He didn't respond to any of my questions and was trembling, ever so slightly. I attempted to find a pulse.......no pulse, very shallow breathing, no response at all from him at all, but yet he was standing at the counter, albeit with some assistance from the clerk.
Our Zone 1 Deputy arrived and stood by as the man finally started coming around and became responsive. I asked him his name, and he told me his correct name, which I had checked on with the chief deputy clerk and against his tag renewal paperwork. I asked him if he remembered anything, he told me that before he sort of blacked out that he had felt really dizzy. I asked him if he was taking any medications, to which he replied that he was and that he had just come from his doctor's office and that his doctor had just changed his medications. At this time Medic 1 arrived and took the situation into their hands.
I do not know this man personally, but there were a couple of ladies working in the Courthouse who do know him, and they gave me some family contact information, and I was able to contact a family member to let them know what was happening. The medics took him to the hospital, his family came and retrieved his vehicle and the registration paperwork.
This is part of my job that I like. Although I really didn't do much, I was able to help someone that needed help. And I hope this man will be able to recover from whatever it was that affected him and go home to his family.
I was very concerned when I first made contact with this man. Even for an experienced officer like me, this was a bit scary.
You just never know what the day is going to bring you to deal with.

kingcat
11-25-2015, 12:51 PM
God bless you for being there for him. This close to Thanksgiving especially, I'm certain there will be a prayer or two offered up from this man's family for their "angel of mercy"

Kudos Suncat!

Darrell KSR
11-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Glad you were there to help and to serve, Suncat :).

StuBleedsBlue2
11-25-2015, 02:27 PM
You're not kidding you never know what the day is going to bring.

I was out picking up some last minute T'giving supplies and my wife calls me, just a second or two into the call, I hear a loud commotion on her end and we were disconnected. Several minutes later, she called me back to tell me that 5 feet in front of her, a cab turned the corner at a high speed and hit the lady right in front of her, flipping her into the air and landed in the street. She quickly called 911 and stayed with her until the paramedics arrived(which is lucky that they were just blocks from Northwestern Hospital near the Mag Mile).

It was feet from it being her, but I'm at least glad she could be there with the lady and make the call. All of this, just an hour after I made a post in another thread that I'm more fearful of traffic than terrorists.

Life certainly is strange.

suncat05
11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Ahhhhhh Stu.........those ironies of life. And you seldom, if ever, see them coming.

I am just thankful that I was able to get him some help, small though my part in it was. And I just spoke with one of those ladies here in the Courthouse who helped me with him, she told me he was in the ER for a couple of hours, where they surmised that his situation this morning was probably caused by a change in his dosage of one of his medications. I am happy to tell you guys that he is now home and appears to be doing fine. And.........another fact I was not aware of.........his son is a State Trooper assigned to the Ft. Myers barracks, who I know.........but I didn't know these two are father & son. Small world. And the ironies held within.

suncat05
11-25-2015, 03:12 PM
And Stu, thank goodness it wasn't your wife. I hope the lady that was hit will be able to make a full recovery.

StuBleedsBlue2
11-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Hope all have a full recovery and a special thought out to all of those less fortunate than all of us during this holiday.

kingcat
11-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Hope all have a full recovery and a special thought out to all of those less fortunate than all of us during this holiday.

Well said.

suncat05
11-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Well said.

Indeed.

jazyd
11-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Suncat, you are a good guy

suncat05
11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah, jazy, I do have a good moment every now and then........ :winking0011:

CGWildcat
11-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Excellent to know you were there for the man and provided info to his family.