PDA

View Full Version : Recommended inexpensive microphone stand

Darrell KSR
11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Doesn't even have to be a microphone stand. Just something that I can keep at my desk.

Here's the small little, inexpensive microphone I have -- Samson Go microphone. Despite the cost (about $35, I think), I really like the sound quality for the little audio lectures I prepare with it.

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/Go_Mic-open-white.jpg

That's a heavy metal clip base. Normally, people clip it to the top of their laptop computer, like below.

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productImages/Go-Mic-Black-Angle-vibe-web.jpg

But a) I don't particularly like to clip it to the top of my laptop, and b) I like it to be closer to me when I use it. So I'd like something that would elevate it to approximately chin level, I guess, and can locate it close to me when I use it.

Any ideas?

$5 or less would be great ;). Or maybe a little more. But seriously, not looking for anything major. I'll hold it before I spend much money on it.

PedroDaGr8
11-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Have you tried looking at desktop tripods? They are intended for cameras or cell phones but you might find a way to make one work.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
11-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Have you tried looking at desktop tripods? They are intended for cameras or cell phones but you might find a way to make one work.

That's a really good idea. I have a couple of those already. I'll give that a look and see if one of those would work.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
11-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Is the hole in the mount threaded? Looks like it might be. If it is, I suspect Pedro's idea is a good one. The male screw for mounting a camera might fit, but if not it is possible to adapt the tripod threads to match the one in the microphone mount.

If not, there is always duct tape

Darrell KSR
11-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Is the hole in the mount threaded? Looks like it might be. If it is, I suspect Pedro's idea is a good one. The male screw for mounting a camera might fit, but if not it is possible to adapt the tripod threads to match the one in the microphone mount.

If not, there is always duct tape

Good question. I will look tomorrow.

But duct tape is always a good idea.

Seriously, I'm sure one of the tripods will work. The clip part is really strong, too.

CitizenBBN
11-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Beat me to it. I use this one:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/648459/Vivitar-Flexible-Tripod/

We use it for cameras, but it's very adaptable, would think it would be good for getting the height you want for a mic.

PedroDaGr8
11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Good question. I will look tomorrow.

But duct tape is always a good idea.

Seriously, I'm sure one of the tripods will work. The clip part is really strong, too.

No need for duct tape, hopefully. There is never a complete guarantee with you! :trink39:

Truthfully, I noticed the same thing Dan mentioned when I got on the computer just now; that the hole looks threaded. If the hole is too big for the threads on your tripods, no big deal. You should be able to get a nut and a washer at the hardware store, just take the tripod with you. Then put the mic mount on the tripod, followed by the washer, follwed by the nut. Tighten it down just enough to keep it from moving and you are done.

If all else fails there is ALWAYS duct tape.

CitizenBBN
11-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Saw the same thing, it looks like standard threaded mount to me as well

dan_bgblue
11-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Impossible to tell from the picture, at least for me it is, but the hole looks bigger than the standard 1/4" 20 thread that is used to mount today's cameras. It looks more like a 3/8" 16 thread hole. Larger movie cameras use this thread size for mounting to a tripod. Adapters to go from 1/4 20 to 3/8 16 are readily available if that turns out to be the case.

Did you know you can buy designer duct tape at the big box stores? Lots of different colors and printed designs to choose from

Darrell KSR
11-20-2015, 11:46 AM
The hole is bigger. I guess it is threaded, it is certainly grooved.

dan_bgblue
11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Take the mounting plate with you to a hardware store or a big box store and find a bolt that fits, if one will fit the tapped hole at all. The "thread" pattern looks to be a bit wide to fit the threads of a bolt, but like I said earlier, I can not tell that much about it from the picture.

I just watched a youtube video of the unit, and that hole is way to big to use a tripod mounting screw

dan_bgblue
11-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Fill in the hole with epoxy putty, making sure to smooth out the top and bottom surfaces flush with the mounting top and bottom. Let the epoxy harden, then drill and tap the hole to match the 1/4" 20 threads and you are all set.

Did I mention the decorator style duct tape?

CitizenBBN
11-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Glad we got back to duct tape. That'll fix it right up. It comes in camo since you're in Alabama. :)

PedroDaGr8
11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
I still think using a washer and nut to hold it in place should work fine

dan_bgblue
11-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Pedro the thread length on the tripod mounting bolt is only about 1/4 inches long, 5/16th" max. Not sure the washer and nut will have any threads to screw on to

PedroDaGr8
11-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Pedro the thread length on the tripod mounting bolt is only about 1/4 inches long, 5/16th" max. Not sure the washer and nut will have any threads to screw on to

I didn't realize they were THAT short, I was assuming about 1cm in length but I guess not. Might be duct tape is the only option

kingcat
11-21-2015, 10:11 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Thread-Adapters-Fittings/ci/14722/N/3992462158

PedroDaGr8
11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Thread-Adapters-Fittings/ci/14722/N/3992462158
Good idea kingcat! Though those would require Darryl being able to identify the thread. That being said, those might work perfectly.