PDA

View Full Version : The Economy Moving Forward

dan_bgblue
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Markets drop here and in Europe (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2012/11/07/wall-street-election-react/1687277/)

Doc
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
So its not Obama's fault, its the "gridlock in congress" and the fears that a lack of a budget deal will roil markets and derail the economic recovery.. LOL. The gridlock has been there for FOUR FRIGGIN YEARS yet the down turn was TODAY, the day after Obama won re-election. I've heard how well the market is doing BECAUSE of Obama for the least couple years. Now a downturn isn't his fault but rather because of gridlock.

Me, I'm hoping for 100% gridlock because everything this administration does is bad for the country. Deficits is not good and everything they have done increases that. Stupid ideas like cash for clunkers, the un Afordable Health Care Act, television adds for how to get onto foodstamps an d get free phones, extension of unemployment benefits, increasing taxes (both on the "rich" and the middle class-see AHCA), investing in infrastructure, investing in green energy (investing is a code word for spending--note there are no code word for reducing spending). So to me gridlock is a good thing.

CitizenBBN
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I love the "fiscal cliff" thing. We cut a deal to raise the debt ceiling, to insure we didn't just toss another trillion on the debt pile, and now all the talk will be about how we can't go through with that deal b/c the world will end and dogs and cats will live together.

The cliff isn't spending cuts, it's not going through with the deal. Wall Street doesn't like it b/c they hate uncertainty above all else.

I hope the GOP tows the line on this one in the House. Let the cuts happen, refuse to raise the debt ceiling again. Any pain it inflicts will be short lived and small compared to letting us march hand in hand to the later pain we see in Greece.

My only real concern is how much it cuts defense spending but it may be time to fold up our tents in a few countries anyway.

Doc
11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
The GOP will cave. They need to buy votes too if there is any hope of winning the senate and keeping the house in the 2014 election.

CitizenBBN
11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Doc gridlock is almost always a good thing. People want action from Washington but action is usually bad for us in the long run, esp. in economics.

Gridlock being good is as old as the country. Will Rogers joked about how it was good news.

jazyd
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I hope they hold, no sense giving in and going against what they ran on and so called principles, if they do, they will get voted out.

I love the "fiscal cliff" thing. We cut a deal to raise the debt ceiling, to insure we didn't just toss another trillion on the debt pile, and now all the talk will be about how we can't go through with that deal b/c the world will end and dogs and cats will live together.

The cliff isn't spending cuts, it's not going through with the deal. Wall Street doesn't like it b/c they hate uncertainty above all else.

I hope the GOP tows the line on this one in the House. Let the cuts happen, refuse to raise the debt ceiling again. Any pain it inflicts will be short lived and small compared to letting us march hand in hand to the later pain we see in Greece.

My only real concern is how much it cuts defense spending but it may be time to fold up our tents in a few countries anyway.

KeithKSR
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Doc gridlock is almost always a good thing. People want action from Washington but action is usually bad for us in the long run, esp. in economics.

Gridlock being good is as old as the country. Will Rogers joked about how it was good news.

Gridlock is what our Founding Fathers called checks and balances to keep things from getting out of hand and getting one sided legislation like Obamacare.