PDA

View Full Version : Joker sends a message to fans

ColonelSteve
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Damn this was needed so why does it hurt and feel like a death in the family?

The third-year head coach, who has opted to stay on for the final two games, said he will always be a Kentucky fan, a ticket-buying fan, and he had a clear message for his fellow UK fans.

“We all have a hand if we want this thing to succeed; we all do,” he said. “We all have a hand in making sure this thing succeeds. It’s not moaning and groaning when we don’t get the results.”

If the next coach doesn’t get results as fast as fans hope, Phillips said he hopes the fans will stand behind him anyway.

“Show up in droves,” Phillips continued, talking about how hard it was to sell UK when he was here in 2006 and 2007 when fans were still not filling Commonwealth Stadium despite UK winning games, going 8-5 in both seasons.

“That’s not the way you build a program,” he said. “Everybody’s involved in building a program, especially building a program here. They have to stay behind this team. They have to come out in droves to support this team.”

The head coach, who has gone 12-23 in his three seasons so far, said he struggled with the decision about whether or not to come back and coach the final two games of the season.

His struggles with the decision weren’t because of his pride.

He said he didn’t want to be a distraction, especially during the Samford game, which is supposed to be about the program’s seniors.

“I don’t want to be sent out,” Phillips said, noting that he’d had his Senior Night years ago. “I don’t want an open casket. I don’t want to be somebody’s centerpiece. … I want it to be about those seniors.”

Those seniors were part of the reason he opted to come back. They reminded him of something that he’d said in their living rooms so many seasons ago.

“‘Hey, Coach, you said you want to help watch us grow up,’” Phillips repeated the message. “And that’s the reason I’m doing this, the only reason.”

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/06/2396937/live-joker-phillip-talks-publicly.html#storylink=cpy

dan_bgblue
11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I really wish he was prepared to be a SEC caliber head coach at this point in his career. I have nothing but respect for him as a UK alumnus. I think he truly has the players best interest at heart on a personal level and that is to be commended.

Good luck Coach Phillips.

fastkat
11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Damn this was needed so why does it hurt and feel like a death in the family?

Probably because Joker has given so much to UK. He's been associated with the school long before a lot of his detractors were born. I don't think any fan would have liked nothing better than to see Joker succeed and retire as an old coach here.

Darrell KSR
11-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Probably because Joker has given so much to UK. He's been associated with the school long before a lot of his detractors were born. I don't think any fan would have liked nothing better than to see Joker succeed and retire as an old coach here.

We all wanted him to succeed--badly.

Unfortunately, that's what he did--succeeded "badly."

Best wishes to him; he's a member of the Wildcat family, and always will be.

suncat05
11-07-2012, 08:44 AM
We all wanted him to succeed--badly.

Unfortunately, that's what he did--succeeded "badly."

Best wishes to him; he's a member of the Wildcat family, and always will be.

I fully concur. I wish he would've succeeded in a big way.