PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely hate time changes

dan_bgblue
11-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I have a very accurate internal clock, and have felt a bit confused all day. Happens twice a year and generally takes a few days to correct itself. I have recently read some peer reviewed studies that show there is no energy savings tied to screwing around with the clock. Wish the gubmint would use sun time and quit mucking around with my clock

CitizenBBN
11-01-2015, 09:14 PM
I know many don't like it, but I do. It syncs the sun a whole lot better to getting up in the morning. If we stay on summer time through winter then it's dark as Hades for months until 8am. We could stay on winter time but then you get some of the same thing.

I once studied the politics of this, it's actually quite fascinating. The lobbying for when to make the switch has made for strange alliances over the years.

One strong group for it is farmers, specifically farmers with kids who have to stand in the dark in the mornings for school. They pushed to move the date up some. One group pushing to push the date back to after October 31st was the nation's candy companies, who want more light for Trick or Treat.

I remember it really driving home to me how there is politics in everything the government touches. It confirmed so strongly the principles of Libertarianism that the only way to avoid corruption and concentration of power is to have no one in charge of as many things as possible. the government does have to set the time, but it made it clear how much we need to minimize their role in everything.

Doc
11-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Only thing it affects for me is that it seems I always have something on that Sunday morning that I can't miss so I obsesse all night that I'm going to miss it and lose a night sleep. This time it was a required continuing education course at 7:00am. Of course since it was time back I would have been an hour early but still didn't keep me from being up all night