PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin peril: Federal website's jack o'lantern warning cites climate change

dan_bgblue
10-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Next they are going to warn us that eating white beans increases methane emissions. (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/29/pumpkin-peril-federal-website-jack-olantern-warning-cites-climate-change/?intcmp=hpbt4)

Or have they already done that and i missed the news release?

Doc
10-29-2015, 03:48 PM
I say the bull#### spouted by these morons produces more greenhouse gasses than all these decomposing pumpkins combined

PedroDaGr8
10-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Next they are going to warn us that eating white beans increases methane emissions. (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/29/pumpkin-peril-federal-website-jack-olantern-warning-cites-climate-change/?intcmp=hpbt4)

Or have they already done that and i missed the news release?

Did you read the actual DoE posting or just the FN article? There was no warning per se, the DoE post was just using pumpkins as a vehicle to discuss ways to divert waste biomass into more useful directions. The only mention about global warming was the comment about methane and the comment about the environment. Instead, it mostly talked about how you there is a technological push to exploit biomass as an alternate fuel source. Using biomass as a fuel source, is a convenient way of taking waste and monetizing it. Being in science, maybe I am used to seeing hyproblic press-releases like this but the press release didn't bother me.

dan_bgblue
10-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Yes I did. Even though the website article is about converting trash to fuel, I do not think the headline is false.

With the passing of Halloween, millions of pounds of pumpkins have turned from seasonal decorations to trash destined for landfills, adding to more than 254 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW) produced in the United States every year. This Halloween, think of turning this seasonal waste into energy as a very important “trick” that can have a positive environmental and energy impact.

At landfills, MSW decomposes and eventually turns into methane—a harmful greenhouse gas that plays a part in climate change, with more than 20 times the warming effect of carbon dioxide (CO2).

KeithKSR
11-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Yes I did. Even though the website article is about converting trash to fuel, I do not think the headline is false.

With the passing of Halloween, millions of pounds of pumpkins have turned from seasonal decorations to trash destined for landfills, adding to more than 254 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW) produced in the United States every year. This Halloween, think of turning this seasonal waste into energy as a very important “trick” that can have a positive environmental and energy impact.

At landfills, MSW decomposes and eventually turns into methane—a harmful greenhouse gas that plays a part in climate change, with more than 20 times the warming effect of carbon dioxide (CO2).

We could power a large state from the methane emissions of DC windbags.