PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect pronounciations that annoy you.....

Darrell KSR
10-27-2015, 03:45 PM
...or amuse you, or whatever.

I'll give two--both cities. I'm sure the first one is one that annoys many.

Louisville. Pronouncing it either "Looey-ville," or the occasional, "Lewis-ville," it is the exception, rather than the rule, that they pronounce it, "Lou AH vul."

My 2nd one -- place where I went to school. The University of Louisiana at **Monroe.**

It's "mun-ROW." Not "MON-row." The accent is on the 2nd syllable, and the first syllable is more of an "un" sound than an "on" sound. I listened to the Alabama v ULM game on the radio this year for a good part of it, and had to listen to Eli Gold butcher it the entire game. It did rise to the level of annoyance.

Your turn.

CitizenBBN
10-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Count DeMoney. ;)

kingcat
10-27-2015, 09:52 PM
I recall a cousin of mine looking for his frog in the yard yelling where the fock?

Not the same thing i know, but funny.

Darrell KSR
10-28-2015, 12:17 AM
You guys.... ;)

MickintheHam
10-28-2015, 12:40 AM
I grew up in Louisville and know how to say Lou uh vul. But all the folks who live there think they have to teach folks from out of town to say that way. IT IS OK TO SAY LOUIE VILLE! That's the name of the city. It doesn't need to be butchered. Leave the butchering to the natives.

CitizenBBN
10-28-2015, 08:31 AM
It doesn't annoy me, but I do find it a cute hallmark of being from outside this area when people mess up the town names. In mom's appraisal business we'd get orders by phone all the time from the national mortgage companies. They'd pronounce Versailles like the palace in France, and Athens like the city in Greece. Silly people. :) They weren't too good with Berea either.

Liker Burt Reynolds said in Smokey and the Bandit: When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are.”

bigsky
10-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I grew up in Louisville and know how to say Lou uh vul. But all the folks who live there think they have to teach folks from out of town to say that way. IT IS OK TO SAY LOUIE VILLE! That's the name of the city. It doesn't need to be butchered. Leave the butchering to the natives. The Krausses are as Looeyville as it gets from Beechwood Ave, buried at Cave Hill, etc, and it's always been Looeyville. I much prefer that to announcers fakin the Vul.

Oh, and Cairo for place names in your part of the country. I've had to learn to say Nevada, Willamette Valley and Meagher County. Must've grown up knowing to put the sales in Versailes.

bigsky
10-28-2015, 08:54 AM
So "mute" point is a big peeve. Its probably my privilege showing.

dan_bgblue
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
I saw a woman on TV several months ago take a reporter to task about how to pronounce Missouri. She said it is Missourah.

There is a town in Ohio named Bellefontaine. Years ago, during my first trip to the town, I discovered the locals do not pronounce it as it is spelled. The local pronunciation is Bellfountin

Ask is not axe, and athlete is not athelete

blueboss
10-28-2015, 12:53 PM
An easy one is Illinois, it's Illi-noy, there is no noise in Illinoy.

Doc knows this one Rio down by Jensen Beach Fl. It's pronounced Rye-o not Re-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueboss
10-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I saw a woman on TV several months ago take a reporter to task about how to pronounce Missouri. She said it is Missourah.

There is a town in Ohio named Bellefontaine. Years ago, during my first trip to the town, I discovered the locals do not pronounce it as it is spelled. The local pronunciation is Bellfountin

Ask is not axe, and athlete is not athelete

I'm from Missourah and most of my relatives are from Missourah. However after countless hectic trips home for the holidays we always just referred to it as Misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suncat05
10-29-2015, 10:25 AM
The difference between CAVALRY, and CALVARY.

CALVARY is where Jesus Christ was betrayed by Judas and was taken into custody by the Romans.

The CAVALRY is either horse mounted, or in these modern times, motorized vehicle mounted soldiers whose job is to engage and destroy enemy troops.

I really dislike it when people cannot get those two right. Complete and totally different ideas that always seem to get confused in pronunciation for one another.