PDA

View Full Version : Great Black Friday Deals

Darrell KSR
10-27-2015, 03:13 PM
I have none, but thought I'd start a thread where people could add to the deals. Will be interesting to see the "Discover Hack" work with these.

I'm not really in the market for anything that I can think of, other than perhaps a Kindle Paperwhite. I doubt that goes on sale much anyway. Don't think there will be any computers purchased, no printers, no scanners or other peripherals. Not looking for any TVs. So I may be a boring guy this Black Friday. (Cue: so it's just like any other day!)

Add any deals you see that others may have some interest, or even your "wish list" so that those of us who may be looking will keep an eye out for you.

PedroDaGr8
10-27-2015, 03:47 PM
I have none, but thought I'd start a thread where people could add to the deals. Will be interesting to see the "Discover Hack" work with these.

I'm not really in the market for anything that I can think of, other than perhaps a Kindle Paperwhite. I doubt that goes on sale much anyway. Don't think there will be any computers purchased, no printers, no scanners or other peripherals. Not looking for any TVs. So I may be a boring guy this Black Friday. (Cue: so it's just like any other day!)

Add any deals you see that others may have some interest, or even your "wish list" so that those of us who may be looking will keep an eye out for you.

There have been some decent deals on the kindle paperwhite but nothing amazing. Most of them have been through Staples using different coupons and at around $90 or so. Kindles in general don't go on that much of a sale, because if you want one you WANT one.

Like you, there isn't much I am necessarily looking for. There are a few esoteric items I want, but doubt they will come up on black friday. Not too many people are looking to buy weird things like a book called Art of Electronics, 3rd edition. So I am kinda SOL! :lmao:

Darrell KSR
10-27-2015, 04:10 PM
My wife has a Kindle, and says "you can use it anytime you want." I appreciate her unselfishness, but for stuff like that, I really think it's better if we each have our own.

I almost picked up a Kindle 4 yesterday for $10. I don't really want that; I want the Paperwhite, but for $10, it would've been hard to turn down (somebody in the school where I work--they sold it before I saw it for sale).

PedroDaGr8
10-27-2015, 08:02 PM
My wife has a Kindle, and says "you can use it anytime you want." I appreciate her unselfishness, but for stuff like that, I really think it's better if we each have our own.

I almost picked up a Kindle 4 yesterday for $10. I don't really want that; I want the Paperwhite, but for $10, it would've been hard to turn down (somebody in the school where I work--they sold it before I saw it for sale).

The paperwhite is a huge upgrade, well worth the premium they charge but damn, at that price the premium is TOO steep. I would take the K4 too. Too bad they sold it, oh well, gives you a chance to get the higher quality one. I have the first generation paperwhite and ABSOLUTELY love it. Use it ALL of the damn time.

Darrell KSR
10-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Yup. My wife said I was crazy for saying I'd buy it, but I'm practical, and I wouldn't have been happy intentionally missing that. Heck, that's the cost of a paperback. I would have received as much enjoyment out of the deal.

I'm not unhappy I missed, though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
10-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Now that I think of it...I may be in the market for a cheap laptop. We have a community desktop at home, "my" underpowered notebook/laptop available for community use, my son has a Lenovo that works fine, my oldest son has some souped up laptop that works well and a Surface Pro 3, and a desktop that he built that is souped up, too, my oldest daughter has a good Acer....but my youngest daughter does not have a laptop. She has a tablet (Galaxy Tab) that she rarely uses, but maybe she has need for a laptop. She's a junior in high school; maybe I should wait until she's a senior so she can have a year later model and head off to college with it. Probably should. Or buy something cheap that's a banger that she uses for the last 1-1/2 years and then a new one as she's leaving for college. That might make sense.

KSRBEvans
10-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Darrell, saw this deal for a refurbed Acer Chromebook for $119 after $20 rebate on Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000B-00146&Tpk=1TS-000B-00146&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6156980&SID=igd290943q00xjf500053

Chromebooks have their limitations, of course, but maybe it'll fit the bill for the next 18 months.

Darrell KSR
10-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks, BEvans. I'm not even sure that she wants/needs one, but I'll check on that first and see. You're certainly talking my language on the price.

Darrell KSR
11-18-2015, 09:08 AM
According to CNET, Amazon Black Friday deals are going to include, among other things....

* 15" Asus laptop $129 - model TBA
* 50" 1080p LED TV (amazon app only) - $149.99
* $34.99 Fire 7" tablet (2015 model)

CNET /news/amazon-black-friday-deals-2015/

suncat05
11-18-2015, 09:45 AM
My kids asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Sorry guys, but I am not the guy that needs a bunch of stuff. I look at it like this: I have the best wife in the world. I have 2 great kids. I have a nice home and a running vehicle. I have a good job. We have good food on the table.
"Black Friday" means zilch to me, although this year, wherever they go, I am going too, given the events of the last couple of weeks.
Not trying to be a killjoy here, that's just how I have come to see this holiday hubris.

Darrell KSR
11-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Hey, all of those items are for my 5 kids and wife. I'm mostly in the same boat, but I always find something or another I need, too.

Black Friday has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Not as much anymore, but man, when the kids were younger...

dan_bgblue
11-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Pushy, loud, obnoxious, combative, shoppers (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/27/black-eye-friday-mall-brawls-break-out-as-shoppers-seek-best-deals/?intcmp=hpbt4)

bigsky
11-27-2015, 10:10 AM
I bought corduroys from Kohls, on line, 14.99 a pair free shipping, and big and tall flannel shirts from Pennys, 12.99, all for da boyz . Also looking for snow tire deals.

Hey, it gets cold here. As in -9 this am

Darrell KSR
11-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Pushy, loud, obnoxious, combative, shoppers (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/27/black-eye-friday-mall-brawls-break-out-as-shoppers-seek-best-deals/?intcmp=hpbt4)

Bad pub for the Commonwealth.

We don't do it like we used to, but kids and wife still out today. Never any problem anywhere. Lot of people, and sometimes disappointment with something being out, but no pushing, shoving, or anything despite dozens of stores over many years.

Four of us went to work out at the gym this morning, and three stayed to battle the crowds. I'm the 4th :).

KSRBEvans
11-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Read here (http://www.wdrb.com/story/30615104/viral-video-shows-two-men-fighting-at-mall-st-matthews-thanksgiving-night) that there's suspicion it was staged:

A call was placed to St. Matthews police, and officers responded within a couple of minutes, but by then both men had already left the mall. We watched the video with a police officer who told us they believe the fight may have been staged -- possibly because several people in the crowd could be heard shouting "Worldstar" -- a website that gathers and posts fight videos.

KSRBEvans
11-27-2015, 05:52 PM
As for Black Friday, we didn't go to any stores, but got the Fitbit Charge HR at Best Buy for 20% off the $150 price. Also looking hard at the iPad Mini 2 for my mother ($199 at walmart.com), but I'm not sure she's techie enough for a tablet.

KSRBEvans
11-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Saw this Cyber Monday deal on a FitBit Charge HR, which is the best price I've found (been looking for Mrs. BEvans and me)--$104.99 shipped, from Brookstone:

http://9to5toys.com/2015/11/30/fitbit-charge-hr-jawbone-up3-tracker/

bigsky
11-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tip; needs this to monitor my heart rate to stay below 140-145