PDA

View Full Version : Gun free zones

Darrell KSR
10-20-2015, 06:20 PM

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
10-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Bigger stickers, made of kevlar, worn by actual armed security patrolling obvious targets like schools would work great. :)

suncat05
10-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Bigger stickers, made of kevlar, worn by actual armed security patrolling obvious targets like schools would work great. :)

Yes. Yes, they would!

CitizenBBN
10-21-2015, 12:24 PM
BTW our auction business is moving, and the new building has "no guns" stickers from a prior tenant. I guarantee those things are coming down. I get some LEOs to my gun auctions in particular, and I'm more than happy when they open carry. Makes it real clear things will not go easily for a potential bad guy.

KeithKSR
10-21-2015, 04:39 PM
BTW our auction business is moving, and the new building has "no guns" stickers from a prior tenant. I guarantee those things are coming down. I get some LEOs to my gun auctions in particular, and I'm more than happy when they open carry. Makes it real clear things will not go easily for a potential bad guy.

Most local gun stores I visit have owners/customer service reps open carry. It doesn't bother me in the least.

suncat05
10-26-2015, 01:19 PM
A move is afoot here in Florida to allow open carry. I am not sure the Legislature as a whole body will be able to reach a concensus to get such a bill onto Governor Scott's desk.
I have mixed feelings on this one. While it should not even be a legitimate question as to whether an individual should be able to open carry, I would be concerned about that one guy that can mess up the whole situation for everyone else by doing something so insanely stupid that it make the entire state look like a bunch of rubes.
Of course, some states like Arizona have open carry and do not seem to have any issues. That being said, this is Florida, and it never seems to fail that every derelict scumbag loser POS always seem to find their way here and cause problems that most other States only seem to hear about, or at least seem to experience a lot less than we do here.
I am all for concealed carry. And I am not against open carry here either, but I worry about that one guy that thinks he is an invincible "Billy Bad-Ass" just because he "can" open carry if it is passed here and causes a problem that brings unwanted national gun grabbers attention and all of the negatives that come with that.
And of course, the answer to that is to deal with any problem children on a case-by-case basis, and harshly if it would be determined that they acted in conflict of Florida law. But with any bad event with an open carry individual the anti-gun crowd and the media lapdogs will be out in full force trying to further erode our 2nd Amendment rights.

bigsky
10-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Probably told this story before but a big crowd camped out all night in front of the courthouse to get tickets to see President Obama. I got wind that a group of "freemen" or "constitutionalist" or "jackasses" were walking around the wakening crowd with holstered revolvers and "black guns" AR15 like weapons. So I took ten boxes of donuts down and gave them out to the crowd and the donut distraction more or less made the dimwits irrelevant.

CitizenBBN
10-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Kentucky is constitutionally an open carry state (was before we allowed concealed carry), and there are a bunch of other OC states and there aren't any big issues.

You do get the occasional mall ninja who thinks it's cool to carry his AK into Starbucks just b/c he legally can, but it's highly uncommon.

In fact open carry is uncommon altogether even in OC states. You see it, but not often. Most of it is hunters and sportsmen going to and from their adventure, pulling in to get gas. It really doesn't come up much. I'm sure there will be an incident eventually, but not enough to warrant restricting carry. The incident is likely to be like the one bigsky described, people making asses of themselves as opposed to someone actually getting hurt.

I also find the variety of logic of the various state legislatures fascinating. Not saying which is right or wrong, but it is interesting. Some states have been open carry but were afraid of concealed carry, while others had concealed carry but are afraid of open carry.

For example, Kentucky has been an open carry state since 1891. I typed that right, for more than 100 years the constitution (the Bill of Rights, article 1, section 7) has guaranteed the right to self defense, YET it specifically DID say the state could regulate concealed carry:

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

So here you have Florida (and Texas among others) thinking concealed carry is OK but open carry may cause issues (and not disagreeing with Suncat's hesitancy, I agree 100% the mall ninjas are a problem to consider), then you have Kentucky which for a century has been fine with strapping your gun to your waist but only approved concealed carry in 1996, 105 years after open carry. I find the contrast interesting.

In fact I find all the variations in these laws fascinating.

But re Open carry, I"m for it overall. There just haven't been enough issues in the states that have it to outweigh the benefits of people being able to express their right to defend themselves. By right of birth we should have the right to self defense and it should only be restricted when justified by doing more harm than good and I don't see that here.

KeithKSR
10-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Even though open carry is available to all citizens in Kentucky I don't see people open carry that often. I see it more often at events like Court Days, but never see any problems. Most of those that OC at those events are looking to trade or sell whatever they are carrying.

Darrell KSR
10-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Alabama has open carry. Rarely see it. Haven't seen any issues when I have.

CitizenBBN
10-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Even though open carry is available to all citizens in Kentucky I don't see people open carry that often. I see it more often at events like Court Days, but never see any problems. Most of those that OC at those events are looking to trade or sell whatever they are carrying.

I rarely see it. Maybe 4-5 times the last couple of years. I see it most with a couple of guys who come into the gallery and I happen to know they are LEOS, carrying open while off duty.

DanISSELisdaman
10-28-2015, 06:38 PM
I still see it quite a bit here in Southeastern Ky, but not as much as I used to. Most people do carry concealed though.

KeithKSR
10-28-2015, 07:01 PM
I rarely see it. Maybe 4-5 times the last couple of years. I see it most with a couple of guys who come into the gallery and I happen to know they are LEOS, carrying open while off duty.

I probably see more open carry, living in a rural area.