PDA

View Full Version : Official coaching search rumors thread

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Alright...we all know it's coming, it's already started so I figured we should keep this to one thread so nothing gets lost.

Pat Forde wrote an article saying he's been told Bobby Petrino is NOT being considered...he's hearing
Sonny Dykes - HC Louisiana Tech
Dirk Koetter- OC Atlanta Falcons
Brent Pease- OC Florida
Neal Brown- OC Texas Tech

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--kentucky-not-considering-hiring-bobby-petrino-after-firing-joker-phillips-04081709.html;_ylt=Av_wXyaMNKLwgDlfBX0aSuoLcykA;_y lu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGh vcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

blueboss
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Do any real sports journalists have any thoughts, 4d is on the do not click list along with Thamel, Bozich, and Tipton.

What say you MR. Vaught ???

Catfan73
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
1. Make Rex Ryan turn us down.
2. Chuck Martin, Sonny Dykes, Butch Jones.
3. NOT Fulmer, Cutcliffe, or Petrino.

bluesuedeshoes
11-04-2012, 04:21 PM
The rumor I heard was that Rex Ryan was seen at the Waddy-Peytona (or is that Peytona-Waddy)
exit at the gas station buying a Slim Jim and a Red Bull.

Or did you mean REAL rumors? :cool:

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Im talking about stuff like this

Oscar Combs ‏@wildcatnews

If MB involves former players in process, hope he includes @timcouchtv. Tim has been around SEC football last 4 years. Knows what it'll take

Tim Couch ‏@timcouchtv

@wildcatnews thanks Oscar. I would love to help and be involved in any way that I can.

jared lorenzen ‏@JaredLorenzen22

@timcouchtv well put in a good word. I would love to go through that process and ge a shot on that staff. #BBN

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Fox 41 breaks it down with a poll...but they included Frank Solich so credibility went out the window

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19998905/crawford-whos-next-possible-candidates-for-uk-football-job

Eric Crawford ‏@ericcrawford

WDRB POLL: 27% of #UK fans say they want Petrino, 19% Kirby Smart; 14% Sonny Dykes, 11% Fulmer. Vote & see results http://www.wdrb.com/story/19998905/crawford-whos-next-possible-candidates-for-uk-football-job … #BBN

Badinage
11-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I hope Mitch goes after Belotti.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
This is what UK has to do

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/ElizabethWinters/sabanpresser2.gif

Catonahottinroof
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
With Belotti you'd get some similarities to Brooks. That would be a good thing in our program right now.....stability.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Sorry but I couldnt help but laugh

BearcatsBlog ‏@BearcatsBlog

If Butch Jones left Cincinnati for Kentucky, I would quit.

Badinage
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I do not see Jones coming to UK.

fastkat
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I hope Mitch goes after Belotti.

I've always wondered what kind of feelings Brooks left here with.

Between his statement about UK needing to enter the 21st century and some of the fanbase booing him and questioning him on his call in show it makes me wonder whether he would tell Belotti that he shouldn't come here.

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
LHL finally gets on board...but all of this is speculation

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/04/2395859/possible-candidates-to-replace.html#storylink=rss?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

ColonelSteve
11-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Didnt realize Marlon McCree was in his first year as the Jaguars DB coach...Mitch needs to bring him home in the same position...passion would make him a great recruiter

Badinage
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Hopefully, Barnhart has an expansion plan to put before any candidate that demonstrates UK is ready to move this thing forward.

Catonahottinroof
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Twitter world indicates UK reps are in Tuscaloosa today.

ColonelSteve
11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
KIRK HERBSTREIT (ESPN college football analyst)

ON JOKER PHILLIPS’ FIRING: “I guess the only thing that’s surprising is that there’s still a couple games left to go in the season. I know that even coming into this year there was some pressure there to win and I think everybody knew that this was a big year for Kentucky and for Joker. Things obviously didn’t go the way they’d hoped for. I think it’s his third year, if I’m not mistaken, and he got to the one bowl game and came up a little bit short last year. You’d have to talk to the athletic director, but I think any time you see a coach let go with still some games to go it’s more about the overall direction of where the era is going. They must’ve felt it was not going in a good direction, so they moved forward with it.”

ON WHAT KIND OF COACH A PROGRAM LIKE KENTUCKY SHOULD SEEK: “I think first of all, playing in the SEC, it’s always going to be a challenge to win a lot of games. I think Vanderbilt is a good example of being able to locate an offensive-minded coach who’s got a lot of energy and kind of an aggressive mentality. If you look at what he’s been able to do in the SEC – not just the SEC, but East where you have Georgia and Florida and South Carolina (three current top-10 teams) and usually a pretty good Tennessee team. But James Franklin, in his first year he gets to a bowl game. In his second year, looks like they’re going to go to another bowl game.

“And I think it’s his background as an offensive guy, but really more than anything as you get to know James Franklin, it’s his energy – overall drive and personality. He’s a recruiter. He’s relentless in recruiting. I think that’s what Kentucky needs to find. Instead of apologizing for, ‘Oh, gosh, we’re Kentucky,’ and , ‘We’re in the SEC and it’s challenge; it’s a grind,’ you’ve got to find somebody who believes. You’ve got to find somebody who makes that into a positive. You’ve got to find somebody who’s young and aggressive and eager and wants to go out and hit the recruiting trails and sell Kentucky and sell Lexington , sell Keeneland, sell everything! Get excited about what you have to offer there.

“To me, you can’t look at it like, ‘Man, we’re at the bottom looking up with our tradition.’ You have to look at it like, ‘Why not Kentucky? Why not? Let’s go win.’ And I think that having a guy that’s got some ties to the region, whether it’s through the SEC or down in the southeastern part of the country, I think probably would be beneficial. But to me it’s more about finding somebody who’s enthusiastic and excited about being the head coach at Kentucky and excited about turning negatives into positives and going out and recruiting and beating some people for good players. I don’t care how good a coach you are; you cannot win if you can’t recruit. And you’ve got to go out and recruit.”

ON HIS TOP THREE NAMES THAT WOULD FIT FOR KENTUCKY: “I haven’t even thought about it. I guess we’re at that time of the year where we’ve got to start thinking about who are guys that would fit in where. Just off the top of my head, I’m thinking about young coordinators who are eventually going to be given a shot and become really good head coaches. I know at Kentucky you’re going to hear big names that are out there for any job that opens up. You’re already hearing names like Bobby Petrino down in the Southeastern Conference. You’re going to hear names, but if I’m Kentucky I’m looking for a guy that’s maybe never been a head coach, who is a coordinator who could bring in excitement because he’s now a head coach.

“Mark Stoops is a name that to me is going to create some attention when this season is over because of the success he’s had and his pedigree and where he’s from. He’s a go-getter and a guy that I think has a lot to offer. You wonder: Are we getting to a point where (Alabama D-coordinator) Kirby Smart is ready to go out and become a head coach. I think he’s a guy that has a lot of energy and has a lot to offer, being familiar with the SEC and being a former player in the SEC and now a coach at Bama. So those are two, I guess, just off the top of my head, that come to mind.”

ON LOUISIANA TECH COACH SONNY DYKES BEING A POPULAR NAME AROUND HERE: “He’s outstanding, and I think Louisiana Tech’s going to have a hard time holding onto him because of some of the things I was just talking about: passion and energy and he’s got a great offensive mind. He knows how to go out and put points on the board. With his pedigree and his background, I think he would be an outstanding coach no matter where he is. He’ll be a guy that’s going to be on a lot of people’s lists, for sure.”

ON THAT NOTE, DID UK DO ITSELF A FAVOR BY GETTING A HEADSTART ON ARKANSAS, AUBURN AND TENNESSEE, WHICH MIGHT ALSO HAVE OPENINGS TO FILL SOON: “That’s a good point. I think that’ s fair point and may be part of the reason that they decided to make the move now, even with a couple games left to go. It is a little bit of a timing game when it comes to who can talk to whom and when are you allowed to talk, and who has a job that’s open. It’s hard to really go out and work with these coaches and their agents when you still have a head coach. So I think it’s a good move and I think it may create kind of a domino effect, where people who are thinking about a move maybe entertain the thought of trying to move to try to stay up with Kentucky, because it looks like Kentucky wants to try to be aggressive in trying to bring in a coach who can get them back to being competitive in the SEC.”

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2012/11/05/herbstreit-thinks-uk-should-hire-young-salesman/

kritikalcat
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Just a few other names to toss in the mix:

Kirby Smart - DC at Alabama. Several sources reported UK reps visited Bama athletic offices today
Mike MacIntyre - HC San Jose State, former Parcells assistant in the NFL. Has turned SJSU around from 1-12 to 5-7 to 7-2 currently. Has ties to the South (coached at Ole Miss, Duke, Davidson, played at Georgia Tech, father was head coach at Vandy in the 80's)
Dirk Koetter - OC Atlantic Falcons, former Boise State and Arizona State HC
Mike Gundy - HC Oklahoma State

ColonelSteve
11-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Columbus Dispatch says "Why not Jim Tressel to UK?"

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2012/11/06/tressel-at-kentucky-hey-why-not.html

SalsaKat
11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Neal Brown contacted, per Larry

http://vaughtsviews.com/sources-confirm-some-preliminary-contact-between-uk-and-agent-for-texas-tech-offensive-coordindator-neal-brown/

Ideally I'd love to have Dykes with Brown as OC but that would be a lateral move for Brown and not sure if he'd want to make it.

ram
11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
If we get Belotti, you think he could get Nike to set us up with cool uniforms? We could be the Oregon of the SEC!

dan_bgblue
11-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Neal Brown contacted, per Larry

http://vaughtsviews.com/sources-confirm-some-preliminary-contact-between-uk-and-agent-for-texas-tech-offensive-coordindator-neal-brown/

Ideally I'd love to have Dykes with Brown as OC but that would be a lateral move for Brown and not sure if he'd want to make it.

I guess it would depend on how much he likes where he is living and the pay scale. Being a Danville native, it might be very attractive to him to get to move home.

Badinage
11-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Columbus Dispatch says "Why not Jim Tressel to UK?"

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2012/11/06/tressel-at-kentucky-hey-why-not.html

If they do not know the answer, they probably are not worth the read.

ColonelSteve
11-06-2012, 08:57 PM
LHL says the list includes
Neal Brown
David Cutcliffe
Sonny Dykes
Philip Fulmer (DEAR GOD NO)
Butch Jones
Dirk Koetter
Mike Leach
Mike MacIntyre (SJSU coach, 13-21 record, another DEAR GOD NO)
Gus Malzahn
Chad Morris (Clemson OC)
Brent Pease
Bobby Petrino
Willie Taggart
Tommy Tuberville

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/football/next-coach/

ColonelSteve
11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Mississippi newspaper running with a rumor that Kentucky is trying to go after Rex Ryan

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20121106/SPORTS030102/311060040?nclick_check=1

SalsaKat
11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
^^ I've read that several places. But wouldn't we have to wait until January to get rolling with him?

Not that it matters. That's a pipe dream.

ColonelSteve
11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
^^ I've read that several places. But wouldn't we have to wait until January to get rolling with him?

Not that it matters. That's a pipe dream.

Maybe, maybe not, a deal could be made yet kept secret, the Jets are 3-5 and even with a strong run, 8-8 is possible yet unlikely with their schedule. I say if a deal isnt done within the week after the Tennessee game...then it might be time to seriously look into this possibility

MickintheHam
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
The rumor I heard was that Rex Ryan was seen at the Waddy-Peytona (or is that Peytona-Waddy)
exit at the gas station buying a Slim Jim and a Red Bull.

Or did you mean REAL rumors? :cool:

Actually, it is the Tri-Cities of Waddy, Peytona and Graefenburg.

ColonelSteve
11-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Brent Pease says he does NOT want the Kentucky job, but praises the program
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/swamp-things/os-uf-gators-offensive-coordinator-brent-pease-addresses-kentucky-coaching-rumors-20121106,0,4016863.post?track=rss

Texas A&M Kliff Kingsbury denies any rumors
* I asked offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury his reaction to his name popping up on a couple of websites as a potential candidate for Kentucky’s head coaching gig. “I haven’t seen too much of that,” he said, shaking his head. “I’m just trying to get a first down against Alabama.”
http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2012/11/sumlin-we-havent-accomplished-anything-yet/

MrSEC lists the 5 things Kentuckys next coach has to bring to the table to succeed...just a little part

3. An in-check ego

There’s no such thing as a millionaire coach without an ego. They don’t exist. But the Cats will need to find someone with the ability to put his ego in check. Regardless of how successful he’s been or even how much success he has in Lexington, the next coach will always be the football coach at a basketball school. Come every October, the media in Kentucky will turn its attention to basketball. Fans will line up to get tickets to the first basketball practice of the season. That’s just how big Kentucky basketball is. There’s no changing it or fighting it and the next coach had better know it and embrace it.

During a radio show with me this morning, Kentucky play-by-play man Tom Leach provided the perfect example of my point… in reverse. “Billy Donovan at Florida,” he said. Exactly. Donovan hasn’t always been thrilled with the fan support his teams have gotten, but he’s never tried to escape the shadow of Florida football (at least without quickly changing his mind and coming back).

John Calipari is successful enough both as a coach and as a carnival-barker — that’s a compliment, not an insult — to assist the next man up. The new coach should embrace his help. Barnhart needs to find a football version of Donovan.

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/11/five-things-kentuckys-next-coach-needs-to-bring-to-the-table-to-succeed/#more-259506

ColonelSteve
11-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Bobby Petrino Sr. says Petrino wants the Kentucky job

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8605295/bobby-petrino-former-arkansas-coach-interest-vacant-kentucky-job-according-father

SalsaKat
11-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Bobby Petrino Sr. says Petrino wants the Kentucky job

This could also be a ploy to get other schools to make serious offers. Not saying it isn't necessarily legit, but.

bluesuedeshoes
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Jon Gruden's mother said.....oh, never mind. :highly_amused:

Badinage
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
If Mitch delegated this decision to me, I would interview Petrino. I would first interview his wife to see how she feels Bobby responded to getting caught. If she gave me reason to believe he learned a lesson, I would interview Bobby. The guy can flat out coach, identify talent and develop players. He knows how to prepare teams on the field. If he passed the interview, I would present a contract that favored UK. It would be incentiv heavy and have a huge buyout and would include morality accountability.

This puts pressure on Mitch to get a big hit coach, because people think Bobby could get it done.

Petrino would probably ask Summers and Nord to stay, and maybe Cassity. That would provide some retention in the recruiting market and would help retain some commitments.

Terry Blue
11-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Doubt Lying Bob ever gets that first call from us

ColonelSteve
11-09-2012, 02:07 PM
LMAO...Vegas making bets on who is the next Kentucky coach

Yesterday, Ben noted that the father of deposed Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino stated in no uncertain terms that, if offered, his son would accept the same job at Kentucky.

Despite the obvious hurdles — Petrino’s fall from grace in Fayetteville as well as his previous tenure at Louisville — he’s the early favorite to replace Joker Phillips in Lexington.

In odds released Thursday by Bovada.com, Petrino comes in as the slight favorite of degenerates oddsmakers at 2/1, followed closely by a pair of current college football head coaches more likely to land the job if interested — Duke’s David Cutcliffe and Louisiana Tech’s Sonny Dykes.

Texas Tech’s Tommy Tuberville, the former Auburn coach who has been connected to a return to The Plains if Gene Chizik is canned — comes in at 9/2. Western Kentucky’s Willie Taggart, whose Hilltoppers beat the Wildcats earlier this season, is at 5/1 along with San Jose State’s Mike MacIntyre.

Others potential UK candidates mentioned by Bovada are Arkansas State’s Gus Malzahn — his name will also be in play for the opening at Arkansas — at 8/1 and Dirk Koetter, former Boise State head coach and current Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator, at 12/1.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/09/wanna-bet-petrino-the-early-favorite-for-kentucky/

millsforthree
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Don't look for Petrino---hearing he will not be employed within the SEC. Also don't see anyone from Oregon, CRB and MB aren't seeing eye to eye these days.

ColonelSteve
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't look for Petrino---hearing he will not be employed within the SEC. Also don't see anyone from Oregon, CRB and MB aren't seeing eye to eye these days.

I figured something was up...CRB saying one year he wants to stay in Kentucky then the next his house is up for sale...and more recently he's been tweeting less and less about UK...I just figured he was mad at Joker for firing the entire staff he was handed and destroying everything he worked hard to build

ColonelSteve
11-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Coachingsearch.com has said that Pittsburgh Steelers QB coach Randy Fichtner is now in the mix

http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/1684-kentucky-coaching-search-update.html

fastkat
11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I figured something was up...CRB saying one year he wants to stay in Kentucky then the next his house is up for sale...and more recently he's been tweeting less and less about UK...I just figured he was mad at Joker for firing the entire staff he was handed and destroying everything he worked hard to build

CRB hasn't been happy with things since he was here. A good read from Eric Crawford

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20003655/crawford-new-uk-coach-will-need-to-change-cash-flow-and-culture

ColonelSteve
11-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Mass speculation...1 down 3 to go in the SEC. Rumors are swirling the internet that Arkansas is close to hiring TCUs Gary Patterson. Also word out of Auburn last night was the schools President was in the early stages of dismissing Gene Chizik

ColonelSteve
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
CRB hasn't been happy with things since he was here. A good read from Eric Crawford

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20003655/crawford-new-uk-coach-will-need-to-change-cash-flow-and-culture

It's a shame, supposedly close friends with Barnhart when he got to Lexington, and his buddy just couldnt do it for him...money has been spent on every single program at the university...except the biggest cash cow, what a shame...but hey...the rifle team has a NC trophy sitting in the coaches office

Catfan73
11-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Do we spend a lot of money on the rifle team? Do you really think the problem is that if we just had all of that money we spent on the rifle team and spent it on the football team . . . . oh what a difference that would make!

ram
11-10-2012, 07:27 AM
How much revenue was produced by the rifle, softball, soccer, gymnastics, track teams last year, yet money is thrown toward them? The priorities are backward. Spend every red cent you can to get Football back on track. With winning Football, there'll be plenty of money to do whatever you want to do with all of those sports.

bigronhahn1011
11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Haven't you heard? You cant have a national championship caliber rifle team and a top notch football program at the same university.

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
This just happened...THIS is what Kentucky needs...fire is undeniable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xM1pCps0U

Catfan73
11-10-2012, 02:32 PM
What, is Tuberville trying to get fired? Is he trying to beat Petrino back to Auburn?

It's possible to have fire without being abusive. Pass.

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
What, is Tuberville trying to get fired? Is he trying to beat Petrino back to Auburn?

It's possible to have fire without being abusive. Pass.

What? Why are people so upset with this? This is awesome, its great to have a coach that has this fired...and when you struggle with a Kansas team that hasnt won a Big 12 game since beating god awful Colorado in 2010...I would be mad too

BigBluePappy
11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Put his hands on me like that and it is ON!
One comes away a winner, one comes away a sumbitch.

After Billy Clyde that is the last thing we need.

If you can't get your point across without violence, ain't much weight to it.
The actions of a bully.

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
If you think Tuberville is bad...then you might as well scratch Mike Leach off the list as well

The schools all time leading receiver

“Dear Cougar Nation:

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce my decision to forgo playing football for Washington State University. I realize the school is saying that I am suspended for violating team policies and may return next week, but this is a lie. This is an attempt by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in that locker room.

“It is been a privilege to be a Cougar, to perform on your field and wear the Crimson and Gray. I would like to thank Washington State University for giving me the opportunity to do what I love most, to play football and receive a quality education for the past three years. I’m grateful to the athletic department for the coaching, care and encouragement I have received prior to this season.

“This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve. Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor. I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program.

“My teammates and I have endured this treatment all season long. It is not “tough love”. It is abuse. This abuse cannot be allowed to continue. I feel it is my duty to stand up and shed light on this situation by sacrificing my drams, my education and my pride. I resign from this team. I am deeply sorry to those I am letting down. I am not a quitter. I was raised by my family, and many previous coaches to exhibit dedication and embrace sacrifice, but there comes a time when one has to draw a line in the sand.

“Lastly, I thank my fellow teammates, those who also have left the program this year, and those we are leaving behind. I hope our departure will bring awareness to the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being allowed in the locker room and on the field. I pray for healing and recovery for all those who have been hurt by this treatment

“Sincerely,

Marquess Wilson”

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20121110/NEWS/311100029/Marquess-Wilson-leaves-Washington-State-football-team?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

bluesuedeshoes
11-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I played for coaches who verbally abused us, hell, we even felt physically abused sometimes, but we showed up the next day and tried harder. We never quit.

Without knowing the details - which he conveniently left out of his "resignation" - it's not my place to judge, I reckon.

ColonelSteve
11-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I played for coaches who verbally abused us, hell, we even felt physically abused sometimes, but we showed up the next day and tried harder. We never quit.

Without knowing the details - which he conveniently left out of his "resignation" - it's not my place to judge, I reckon.

Well without knowing the facts, the fact remains that Leach has had allegations at two BCS programs now...he is on his way to being labeled as "Unhireable"

truecatsfan
11-10-2012, 08:47 PM
This is another reason i was never for him coming here.

kritikalcat
11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
It's a shame, supposedly close friends with Barnhart when he got to Lexington, and his buddy just couldnt do it for him...money has been spent on every single program at the university...except the biggest cash cow, what a shame...but hey...the rifle team has a NC trophy sitting in the coaches office

I think the "Rich was Mitch's good buddy from Oregon" stuff was mostly something spread by people in the Ditch Rich and Mitch days before Brooks turned things around in 2006.

The truth is that they knew each other, but probably not that well. Brooks was head coach at Oregon and left for the NFL after the 1994 season. Barnhart was the AD at Oregon State I think from 1997-2001, and was Associate AD at Tennessee before that. The only time they ever worked together before UK was earlier in Mitch's career he spent 1 year as director of The Duck Fund at Oregon while Brooks was coaching there. The outside (i.e. not UK people) info I've read is that the biggest influence on Brooks getting involved in the coaching search and in Barnhart giving him the job was former Oregon / Nebraska / Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne. Byrne was AD at Oregon during part of Brooks' time there, and his son (now AD at Arizona?) was working for Mitch at UK.

(and yes, Byrne was also BCG's boss when Mitch hired him from Texas A&M)

ColonelSteve
11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Columbus Dispatch reporter

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports

Jim Tressel just said in email there is "no substance" to talk he might be candidate at Kentucky. He's committed to his Akron job, he said.

ColonelSteve
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Derek Dooley has been fired at Tennessee...I know I know...youre so shocked

Dogsoldier202
11-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Does our University even have a plan formulated for hiring a Coach. Do they have a idea of what direction they want to go or they just playing it by ear. They should have had some plan formulated going into SEC play when they realized we may be having a truly bad season..

Have we interviewed anyone, talked to anyones reps or anything like that?

Catfan73
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
If I had a nickel for every agenda on message boards I could have retired last year.

SalsaKat
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Derek Dooley has been fired at Tennessee...I know I know...youre so shocked

Is there any confirmation on this? All I've been able to find is "blogs" and reports of "rumors".

ColonelSteve
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Is there any confirmation on this? All I've been able to find is "blogs" and reports of "rumors".

SI was reporting it yesterday...then UT came out and denied it and they took it down

ColonelSteve
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Does our University even have a plan formulated for hiring a Coach. Do they have a idea of what direction they want to go or they just playing it by ear. They should have had some plan formulated going into SEC play when they realized we may be having a truly bad season..

Have we interviewed anyone, talked to anyones reps or anything like that?

Matt Jones wrote a blog yesterday saying yes, that people in the athletic department was shocked by the response, said Mitch does have a list and after this little episode with Mike Leach, Leach was more than likely off the list...IDK

bluesuedeshoes
11-12-2012, 03:51 PM
There's a big ol' rumor about Bill Cowher "out there" now....... :happy0001:

ColonelSteve
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
There's a big ol' rumor about Bill Cowher "out there" now....... :happy0001:

Oh god now THAT would be awesome

Badinage
11-13-2012, 05:34 AM
I love that fans have no clue. I would prefer the excitement of the chase and more info, but the quiet nature of this is entertaining. But, I also think the media is, to a great extent, ambivalent. Wouldn't there be much more written and said if we were hiring a basketball coach?

ColonelSteve
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I love that fans have no clue. I would prefer the excitement of the chase and more info, but the quiet nature of this is entertaining. But, I also think the media is, to a great extent, ambivalent. Wouldn't there be much more written and said if we were hiring a basketball coach?

Oh yeah, I just went on Kentucky.com and down to the sports section on the main page you have 2 MBB articles...a WBB articles, then an opinion piece on the new FB coach...really? Matt Jones said that his show yesterday was his 3rd most listened to show in its history, the fans really want this program to succeed, the interest is there, but you would never know it with this states media, just checked the CJ and it's 4th on its page too and its just about the players support for Joker. I know were playing dUKe tonight but good lord

ColonelSteve
11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Tommy Tuberville says he's tired of moving his family around and doesnt wanna do it again

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/amid-job-openings-and-rumors-tommy-tuberville-says-he-doesnt-want-to-move-his-family-again.html/

Badinage
11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, I just went on Kentucky.com and down to the sports section on the main page you have 2 MBB articles...a WBB articles, then an opinion piece on the new FB coach...really? Matt Jones said that his show yesterday was his 3rd most listened to show in its history, the fans really want this program to succeed, the interest is there, but you would never know it with this states media, just checked the CJ and it's 4th on its page too and its just about the players support for Joker. I know were playing dUKe tonight but good lord

It is crazy, but then I think Mitch is not letting many peole in and those who are on the inside are evidently keeping things close to the vest.

I have to ask why Larry Vaught quoted an anonymous "former UK player" today. Seemed the quote was a drive-by swipe at Mitch and a promotion of Petrino. Seems a former player would be big enough to stand up and make his comments without anonymity. And, a former player could be anything from a bench riding walk-on to a star NFL player. Why hide who said it when it comes to just one player's opinion? And, why offer that, at all, unless Vaught is trying to put pressure on Mitch to hire Petrino?

ColonelSteve
11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
It is crazy, but then I think Mitch is not letting many peole in and those who are on the inside are evidently keeping things close to the vest.

I have to ask why Larry Vaught quoted an anonymous "former UK player" today. Seemed the quote was a drive-by swipe at Mitch and a promotion of Petrino. Seems a former player would be big enough to stand up and make his comments without anonymity. And, a former player could be anything from a bench riding walk-on to a star NFL player. Why hide who said it when it comes to just one player's opinion? And, why offer that, at all, unless Vaught is trying to put pressure on Mitch to hire Petrino?

Yeah Im getting sick of Mr. Anonymous as well, but at the same time, they may be trying to be kept from being kicked out of the circle. I know on this other board I visit, there is this WVU insider and when there were rumors about WVU going to either the Big 12 or the SEC, the AD was trying to find out where leaks were coming from and intentionally put bad info out there to see who was running and telling things they shouldnt have been, so until something is officially said, we'll never know whats truth and whats fiction

ColonelSteve
11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Apparently there is enough rumors about Utah State coach Gary Anderson to prompt this

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop

Not sure where it's coming from but a couple of guys asked me today about Utah State's Gary Andersen going to Kentucky as head coach.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop

Gary Andersen is a Utah guy through & through. He's about to have 3 of his sons on his team at Utah State. Can't imagine him going to UK

ColonelSteve
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Mr. SEC says UK needs to make a serious run for Rex Ryan with the Jets falling apart, timing is perfect

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/11/with-the-jets-owner-breathing-down-ryans-neck-uk-should-place-a-call-to-rex/

Catfan73
11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Duh. It's about time Mr. SEC got with the program.

ColonelSteve
11-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Hold on...Sonny Dykes is 2-13 against teams with winning records....HELL NO

Catfan73
11-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Coaching in the WAC, his team is probably the underdog in just about every out of conference game. By my calculations, he's actually 5-13 against teams with winning records and 17-1 against teams with losing records. His team beat Ole Miss last year and has beaten Illinois and Virginia this year and lost to Texas A&M by 2 points.

SalsaKat
11-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Matt Jones cites UC insider site, saying Butch Jones has been offered by UK.

ColonelSteve
11-18-2012, 01:16 PM

DEAR GOD NO...good lord leave it to Barnhart to screw this up, it's not the worst hire, but both sides could do better

Catfan73
11-18-2012, 01:31 PM

If true, one would think Jones would jump at the chance to get out of the sinking ship that is the Big Least. Coming to UK would be contingent on other offers, of course.

Mitch is probably just going down his list. There's no telling who he might have already offered or who's next if Jones says no.

ColonelSteve
11-18-2012, 02:55 PM
And people on Twitter are saying Kentucky fans are delusional for thinking Jones is a bad hire...could be worse...we could be...these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoOJB1uzpdw&feature=player_embedded

Badinage
11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
DEAR GOD NO...good lord leave it to Barnhart to screw this up, it's not the worst hire, but both sides could do better

I thnk your criticism is a tad premature.

ColonelSteve
11-18-2012, 05:52 PM
I thnk your criticism is a tad premature.

Not when Joker has more wins over top 25 teams than he does

ColonelSteve
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
UK denies the Bearcat Lair report saying they havent offered anyone yet

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/18/2413229/uk-denies-offering-cincys-jones.html#storylink=rss?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

ColonelSteve
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
David Cutcliffe says he will be coaching dUKe next year...thank GOD

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/18/cutcliffe-im-going-to-be-coaching-at-duke-next-year/

Catfan73
11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Not when Joker has more wins over top 25 teams than he does

Are you serious? How many top 25 teams has Jones even had the chance to coach against, operating in the Big East? Joker got chances almost weekly. By my count he's 1-12 against teams that were in the top 25 when they played. Jones is 0-3.

ram
11-19-2012, 06:01 AM
He may be a good coach, but....(let's go ahead and start the inevitable)....will he win as quickly and as many games as BP might have?

SalsaKat
11-19-2012, 06:38 AM
He may be a good coach, but....(let's go ahead and start the inevitable)....will he win as quickly and as many games as BP might have?

My counterpoint is that even a Bobby Petrino, coaching a program like Kentucky against a league like the SEC, might cap out at around 8 wins.

Not for sure, but this is quite a tough coaching spot and I bet he wouldn't look like quite the miracle worker he has before.

Catonahottinroof
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
David Cutcliffe says he will be coaching dUKe next year...thank GOD

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/18/cutcliffe-im-going-to-be-coaching-at-duke-next-year/

Cutcliffe's name was mentioned in the article for UT's vacancy, not UK's.

Badinage
11-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Yup. That will be the silly question and debate subject for the new coach to have to deal with. The idea that people who do not get their way can make life difficult for the rest of us is something to really look forward to. And, if the next coach is a huge success, those people will remain quiet and pretend they supported the coach all along.

ram
11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
That will be the question that is asked. ...don't agree that the people asking it are interested in making life difficult for anti-BP people...they just want to win. I believe things have permanently changed... "up-front" support is a thing of the past. Many fans will now take the "wait and see" position on embracing the new guy. If he wins a lot and consistently, he'll be supported as much as any coach in America. To quote the best color commentator in the history of college sports "Everyone loves a winner, Babeeeeeee!"

Badinage
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
But it is irrational to think that winning only can come from one coach. That is the take some BP supporters are taking and there is not foundation for such a belief.

ram
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Could it be that these people don't question that only one coach can win, but that one or two could win more quickly, consistently and at a higher level than the average "good" coach?

ColonelSteve
11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Twitter has absolutely blown up about a rumor on another homer board that Petrino will be introduced as Kentucky's coach very soon, again just a rumor but god I hope it's true

Catfan73
11-23-2012, 01:45 AM
:sHa_dielaughing:

Badinage
11-23-2012, 06:59 AM
One thing I find undisputably true about the BP rumors is the fact that Mitch will not name a coach until sometime after the UT game. Having a name and the team still being coached by Joker was always unlikely. Joker still has the support of his team. Dooley lost his team. That is why he is not on the sidelines.

VirginiaCat
11-23-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll take that 8 wins per year and put it in my pocket....

My counterpoint is that even a Bobby Petrino, coaching a program like Kentucky against a league like the SEC, might cap out at around 8 wins.

Not for sure, but this is quite a tough coaching spot and I bet he wouldn't look like quite the miracle worker he has before.

SalsaKat
11-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Twitter has absolutely blown up about a rumor on another homer board that Petrino will be introduced as Kentucky's coach very soon, again just a rumor but god I hope it's true

Have you actually read some of that nonsense? They may as well open with "I'm an Olympic weightlifter and while I was having dinner with the Queen the other day I overheard..." If Bobby Petrino steps up to the podium, introduces himself as the next UK coach and confirms every bit of it word for word it's still a pile of crap because Internet.

My favorite is the reaction of OMG IS THIS REALLY TRUE? like they've never seen BS on a message board in their lives.

SalsaKat
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
I will say, there is a lot of smoke on the Greater Internet about a sooper seekrit Petrino deal already in place. I just chalk it up to the Internet being an echo chamber of people repeating whatever they want to believe until it becomes truth, but still something to see.

Not to say that Petrino won't be here, per se. Just that the Internet is full of crap either way.

Catfan73
11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Butch Jones appears to be Mitch's #1 target. We might know something next week if it's him. Dantonio left UC for Michigan State between the end of the regular season and UC's bowl game in 2004 (coached by Brian Kelly), and Kelly did the same thing in 2009 before the Sugar Bowl. Jones himself left CMU for UC before the Chippewas' bowl game in 2009.

It's starting to look like the 'cradle of coaches' has moved down the road from Miami to UC.

Edit: Sorry, UC still has two games to play. If it's Butch we probably won't get an announcement until after they play UConn on Dec. 1st.

Terry Blue
11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
You know something is wrong whenever someone is quoting a "Big" Donor or Booster" We've been trying to get a cheap recruiting room built for something like a decade and can't even get enough money for that, so where have all these "Big" Donors been?

ColonelSteve
11-23-2012, 03:51 PM
You know something is wrong whenever someone is quoting a "Big" Donor or Booster" We've been trying to get a cheap recruiting room built for something like a decade and can't even get enough money for that, so where have all these "Big" Donors been?

But...but...but they have buildings named after them :sHa_dielaughing:

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Kentucky: Sources close to the situation tell us the meeting between Butch Jones and Kentucky administration did not go as expected by the parties. We are told "the deal was changed". Accordingly, sources tell that Butch is no longer a candidate for the job.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Jen Smith ‏@jenheraldleader

Barnhart said job hasn't been offered to anyone, there's been a lot of interest.

Barnhart said there is no timeline for this hire. He's looking for best fit.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ

Barnhart "not going to get into specifics" about qualities he wants. "You'll know it when to see it."

Barnhart said he appreciates fans' patience and that a lot of misinformation has been "flying around."

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Barnhart is an ass, he is totally gonna screw this up, if he's talking down to the fans, talking down to reporters, you know he's talking down to candidates he's interviewing

Mark Story ‏@markcstory

Asked by Larry Vaught if anyone is helping him w/ search, Barnhart says 'Larry, that's for me to know.' Says that will be revealed at end

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 04:03 PM
AD MITCH BARNHART

ON THE COACHING SEARCH: “We continue to work through the process. The goal is to continue to build up the foundation that Joker has put in place. The young talent that we’ve got, the respect and accountability that he’s gained in the locker room, the way we conduct our business, those are the things we want to build upon. We’re working at it and we’ll work our way through that process. We won’t short-circuit that. I don’t think there’s any reason to do that. We’ll let you know when we get done. It’s a good job. People are excited about the opportunity to coach in our league and coach at the University of Kentucky. We’ll continue to look at that. That’s sort of where we are. That’s about the update that we have.”

ON A TIMETABLE: “We don’t have a timetable. We’ll just respect the process and continue to work our way through it. We’ve been working at it since we made the change a couple weeks ago. The players have been great through the whole process. The coaching staff’s been wonderful through the process. Joker’s been as class as class can be. He’s an amazing, amazing guy, which hasn’t changed at all. He’s just exactly what you’d expect. He expected our players to conduct themselves in a certain way and he’s been an absolute example of how to do that. I respect him very, very much. And on a day when we close our season down, that’s about where I’ll leave it with you today.”

ON CANDIDATES: “No one’s been offered the job. People have been responsive. People have been responsive to talking about the job. It’s much different than the last time. We were on probation, looking at 19 scholarships and there wasn’t a lot of folks that thought it was a really great opportunity. Coach Brooks came in here and took it by the horns and fought through some really, really difficult times.

“The opportunity that we have ahead of us is, as you’ve seen today: we put over 400 yards of offense on the board. We’ve got some young guys still trying to figure out what to do and how to get it in the end zone and finish those (drives). That will come. The person that walks in will have an opportunity to inherit some of that young talent. There are some obvious things we’ve got to get better and we know that. That’s why we’re in this position. But we do have some young players in this locker room that do care about this program and have a chance to move it forward. We’ll just continue to work through it.”

ON WHETHER ANYONE IS HELPING HIM MAKE THIS HIRE OR IF HE’S DOING IT SOLO: “We’re working our way through the process. That’s for me to know and at the end of the deal, we’ll work our way through all that. I appreciate that. I’ve got a good staff and we’ve got good folks.”

ON WHETHER THERE ARE SPECIFIC QUALITIES HE’S LOOKING FOR IN A COACH: “I’m not going to get into specifics, really. I want a person that, like we’ve always talked about, you’ll know it when you see it and you’ll know it when you feel it. We talk about fit. We’ll work our way through that. I have no blueprint for these things. I’ve seen them work a lot of different ways at a lot of different places, at schools that have a lot more tradition, a lot less tradition, mid-majors, big-time places. There’s no blueprint for these things. We’re looking for the right fit and we’ll continue to work our way through that.

“I appreciate it, and everybody’s been patient. Misinformation flies around, and I get all that. I won’t respond to that noise and we’ll just keep working our way as we always have here for the last 10 or so years. I appreciate the way y’all have respected our team and our coaches. We’ll hopefully get through this sooner rather than later. So thanks for your time.”

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2012/11/24/ad-mitch-barnhart-on-uks-coaching-search/

Badinage
11-24-2012, 04:09 PM
I like Mitch.

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I like Mitch.

Why?

Badinage
11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Why?

Why not? I hear the whining and crying from fans, but I think Mitch has been a very good AD. I like national champion caliber men's basketball, the best women basketball program we have had, Brooks and his bowl games, baseball, the potential seen in both men's and women's soccer, tennis, women's gymnastics, the basketball practice facility and new lodge, upgrades to baseball stadium and other sports facilities ... He is good at most aspects of his job.

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Mark Ennis ‏@Mengus22

That's a juicy bit of news from @JFowlerCBS. Evidently Kentucky has interviewed FSU defensive coordinator Mark Stoops.

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 05:59 PM
TALLAHASSEE - Kentucky has interviewed Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops for its head coaching opening, according to a source.

Under Stoops, FSU's defense led the country with 236.3 yards allowed per game entering Saturday's game with Florida. Stoops, Arizona's defensive coordinator from 2004-09, is a finalist for the National Defensive Coordinator of the Year award.

Kentucky is replacing Joker Phillips and finished 2-10 (0-8 in SEC play) after Saturday's 37-17 loss to Tennessee.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/21121397/kentucky-interviews-fsu-defensive-coordinator-mark-stoops

Catfan73
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Colonel, would it be possible for you to at least wait until Mitch makes his hire before condemning him for it?

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Colonel, would it be possible for you to at least wait until Mitch makes his hire before condemning him for it?

Im not condemning him for the hire, Im condemning him because he is a PR nightmare that has constantly been insulting the fans all year

VirginiaCat
11-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Im not condemning him for the hire, Im condemning him because he is a PR nightmare that has constantly been insulting the fans all year

How? I have not felt insulted one time since the firing of Eliott Uzelac...

ColonelSteve
11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
How? I have not felt insulted one time since the firing of Eliott Uzelac...

Then you havent heard Barnhart call UK fans that hate Joker "Microwave fans" with a "personal agenda" (aka racist) or today he said that he was gonna hire a coach of character...which means Leach, Tuberville, and Petrino...aka proven winners...are out

Badinage
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
His comment today was about the fans? And a coach with character is a bad thing how? Fans with thicker skin would be nice. Oops! Did I type that? :lmao:

Dogsoldier202
11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I like the idea of Mark Stoops

ram
11-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Why not? I hear the whining and crying from fans, but I think Mitch has been a very good AD. I like national champion caliber men's basketball, the best women basketball program we have had, Brooks and his bowl games, baseball, the potential seen in both men's and women's soccer, tennis, women's gymnastics, the basketball practice facility and new lodge, upgrades to baseball stadium and other sports facilities ... He is good at most aspects of his job.

To be fair, he has done those things. In fact, he's probably been the most successful ad, in general, Ky has ever had. Personally, he could have done none of those things you mentioned but if he'd given us a top notch Football program, I'd say he was great. Perhaps it's that Football only lens through which I view Ky athletics.

suncat05
11-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Mark Stoops as our head football coach might be interesting, but.........IF the powers-that-be DO NOT give him the resources to get the job done correctly, then Stoops will suffer the same fate as Joker Phillips has, and just about every coach since Paul "Bear" Bryant has since the 1950's.
But Mark Stoops is kind of an interesting idea, and I like it. :idea:

Badinage
11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Ram, he took a probation riddled perennial bottom feeder and found a coach that gave us repeated bowl trips and wins. I would say do not look just through the lens of the Joker hire. We had a set back, but it can be better. I think Mitch is not ignorant as some present.

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM
NC State has fired Tom O'Brien and a report says the top candidate is James Franklin...if that happens, Kentucky will be going against 4 other SEC teams for a new HC...also there are reports that Auburn has called an emergency team meeting...that usually means the coach is GONE...I expect to see a report that Chizik has officially been fired any minute now

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/obrien-out-at-nc-state

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Didnt even take 20 minutes

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

Auburn calls team meeting where it is expected players will be told Gene Chizik will NOT return, a source says (via @schadjoe)

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Welp...search got even harder

SaintLouisJournal ‏@StLouisJournal

Reports out of Columbia that pinkel is going to resign Monday. Nothing confirmed.

ram
11-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Bad,
He made a good decision with RBrooks. He made a rational decision with the coach in waiting thing. I thought jp might be a good hire. Had he carried on with the same approach to Football as RB, he might have been successful. RB was authoritative. The other coaches and players knew not to cross him. JP's flaw was that he was his own man. He didn't coach as Brooks had modeled. The same problem Tubby had...everyone thought he'd carry on the Patino model...he didn't and it failed.

I liked the hciw model. In fact, if it won't be Petrino (and it won't), I'd be for hiring a former/retired head coach (Fulmer/Belotti) to get us back on solid ground...a safe move. 4-5 years from now, we'll be able to attract much more attractive candidates than we are now. Get a coach that knows how to run a program...and is a proven winner. Like him or not, Fulmer knows how to coach...so would Belotti. Both have proven as much.

I didn't look at football through fire jp lenses. I wanted him to succeed but it was apparent no later than mid year 2 he wouldn't get it done.

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Report from a San Diego radio station says that Kentucky has offered San Jose State coach Mike MacIntyre...seriously Mitch? Seriously? He's 16-21 all time...1 good year does not make him an SEC CALIBER COACH

Badinage
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I am not sure what Joker did that Brooks did not, or vice versa. I know Joker's tenure failed and although I believe his staff would have had an improvement next year, I doubt it would have sufficed to justify a return. So, I think Mitch made the logical decision. The CIW model was one I supported, because I trusted Brooks and knew that Joker loved UK. The combination made it an easy sell to me.

I do not agree that the next coach must get us to a bowl. We won 2 games this year. Had Maxwell not gone down, I think we would have won three-four games. If we stay healthy next year, especially if Clemmons and Sweat return, we may be able to put up some points in a smart offense. But, a bowl trip is not a requirement.

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Sources are now saying Mike MacIntyre will be introduced Monday or Tuesday...I cant say on this site how I really feel but I think this is one F'd up hire

Badinage
11-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Report from a San Diego radio station says that Kentucky has offered San Jose State coach Mike MacIntyre...seriously Mitch? Seriously? He's 16-21 all time...1 good year does not make him an SEC CALIBER COACH

His record does not preclude that his is SEC caliber.

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 06:03 PM
His record does not preclude that his is SEC caliber.

The problem with UK FB is money...how in the hell can you convince boosters to FINALLY put money into this program when you make such an uninspiring hire like this...even if he IS a good fit, the perception automatically makes it so much harder for him to succeed...Mitch needed a HR hire...this is a HUGE whiff for strike 3

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 06:09 PM
He is a Vandy alum...Vandy didnt even consider him...to me that speaks volumes

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
SJSU is 10-2 and has only played 4 teams with a winning record...two of THOSE teams beat SJSU...you have GOT to look deeper than what is right directly in front of you...I am so disheartened right now

Badinage
11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
A radio station announced this and you have fallen into depression? Man, this is going to be difficult on you.

Badinage
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
MacIntyre looks good to me. He has really done good things at San Jose for a program that has no tradition. His recruiting to a WAC school has been solid. He lost to a good Utah State team, but just fell shy of upsetting one the best teams on the west coast in Stanford. I bet people like Parcells is suggesting this guy to Mitch. Looks like a rising star.

Terry Blue
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Reportedly Aaron Cordero has tweeted that a source tells him that we will announce a coach tomorrow or Tuesday and he's GUESSING Macintyre. Aaron is not foolproof but gives out usually reliable info. I wouldn't dismiss Mac at all, took over a pathetic program and has gone from 1-12 to 10-2 in three years! Parcells reportedly recommending his highly to Mitch, coached with him in Dallas. Guy has had 5 years of NFL experience and has a lot of contacts in the South

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Reportedly Aaron Cordero has tweeted that a source tells him that we will announce a coach tomorrow or Tuesday and he's GUESSING Macintyre. Aaron is not foolproof but gives out usually reliable info. I wouldn't dismiss Mac at all, took over a pathetic program and has gone from 1-12 to 10-2 in three years! Parcells reportedly recommending his highly to Mitch, coached with him in Dallas. Guy has had 5 years of NFL experience and has a lot of contacts in the South

I'll give him a chance, as should everyone, but I swear to god if were still losing by 20 to Louisville, 40 to Alabama, Florida and USC then the heat needs to be turned to full blast on the coach AND Barnhart

ColonelSteve
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Text from source tonight: "If you attend a press conference this week: Anderson, Dykes or MacIntyre."

Darrell KSR
11-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I think MacIntyre would do a good job. I'm not head over heels in love with any coaching candidate that I'm hearing tied to Kentucky, but he has some qualities that I think would work very well.

When he took over at San Jose State, he had 65 (I think) scholarships. He went 1-11 or 2-10. NCAA removed scholarships restrictions in 2011, and he is in his 2nd year of the full 85 scholarships, and he went 10-2. What would he do there in his 3rd, 4th and 5th year of 85 scholarships (he was # 1 in the WAC in recruiting last year, just for reference).

He has great bloodlines with his Dad a coach; he has great ties to the NFL (something some believe is significant in recruiting and in formulating your staff.) He is actually known as a defensive coach, but with the scholarship restrictions, his defensive side of the football was down. From people that know him, that is set to get much, much better.

He's one of a handful of candidates I hold cautious optimism for. Anybody is a bit of a crapshoot that we will get. There are signs that this one may be a good play (to me).

Badinage
11-26-2012, 05:42 AM
MacIntyre and Anderson were the least known in this process, but both have me excited. Mac being a successful DC who has a solid offensive philosophy, demonstrating an ability to build a perennial bottom dweller, probably is my new preference. I suspect Mitch really probed Sttops about his offensive preferences. Hopefully, we know soon.

Catonahottinroof
11-26-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm good with MacIntyre. He has good bloodlines, has proven himself well at SJSU. West coast recruiting is easier as he doesn't have to leave his locality to get players. That is the challenge at UK. UK has adequate pieces in place to win 5-7 games. That should be the bar for next season.

Badinage
11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I agree that 5-7 wins should be the objective for next season, barring crucial injuries. We need to replace Warford and Smith. Not an easy task. I think the Juco route from the West Coast may be a good place to look to give us depth on the OLine. I will be excited for Jones, Stoops, Anderson or Mac. I think Stoops and Jones will land, however, at the other SEC schools.

SalsaKat
11-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Erik Ainge ‏@ErikAinge3

Heads up, watch out for Butch Jones to Kentucky...coming soon

Consider the source and all, but now we have two different radio station personalities giving us two different stories, the only commonality between them being that the announcement should come early this week. So I guess that much is at least a blessing.

Catonahottinroof
11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Ewe Tee has an interest in Jones too. Erik may know their specifics, but I doubt he knows UK's specifics.....

SalsaKat
11-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Ewe Tee has an interest in Jones too. Erik may know their specifics, but I doubt he knows UK's specifics.....

What I'm reading, and apparently this is something that he said on the radio so I have no way to verify this without listening to entire podcasts of a Vawl radio show which I have no intention of doing, is that he found out that Jones was off the list for Tennessee and after probing further he found it was because an agreement had been reached with Kentucky.

Badinage
11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
That sounds good. If so, I hope it is official soon.

ColonelSteve
11-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Per a source inside UK athletics, Butch Jones, Sonny Dykes and Mark Stoops have all said "no thanks" to Kentucky.

Mike MacIntyre and one other unnamed coach still on UK's radar, per source.

Source on UK football search: "All the agents are telling their coaches it's a dead-end job and if they're an up-and-comer, don't touch it."

ColonelSteve
11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
SAN JOSE -- San Jose State coach Mike MacIntyre said Monday that rumors of him being offered the job at Kentucky are false.

"There's no truth to that," MacIntyre said. "Even my daughter's calling me from Texas, saying 'Hey what's this?' It's just all Internet stuff.

"Those things are always going to fly. To me, that's good for the program. I know people think that distracts, but there's all kinds of stuff all over the Internet all the time. Honestly, I'm just trying to focus on the bowl game and recruiting and we'll go from there."

But MacIntyre said he has yet to be contacted by Kentucky, or any other schools with openings, including Cal.

"Nope, not as of right now," MacIntyre said. "We're just going along with what we're doing. I'm honestly just focused on that bowl game."

San Jose State wrapped up a 10-2 regular season -- its first 10-win season since 1987 -- with Saturday's 52-43 win over Louisiana Tech. The Spartans are ranked No. 25 in the BCS standings and are awaiting a bowl invitation.

Several reports in the weeks since Kentucky fired coach Joker Phillips have tied MacIntyre to the Wildcats' opening. Kentucky associate athletic director John Cropp was an assistant at Vanderbilt under George MacIntyre, Mike's father. Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart is also reportedly close to Bill Parcells, whom MacIntyre worked under with the Dallas Cowboys.

MacIntyre was asked whether he owed it to himself to listen if one of those schools -- which likely would deliver a major pay raise -- contacted him.

"I don't know about that," he said. "I love it here. I've got a son that's a junior in high school. I know he definitely wants to see his senior year. There's a lot of issues that go into everything."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sjsu-spartans/ci_22069226/san-jose-states-mike-macintyre-no-contact-from?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

ColonelSteve
11-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Mark Story ‏@markcstory

Jimbo Fischer says UK has not interviewed Mark Stoops. Mike MacIntyre says he has not been contacted by UK. Hmmmmm

Badinage
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I like the choices that have been presented. More people are now saying Stoops. That would make me happy. I would love to see him put together a staff and get to recruiting. And, I think our relatively young defense would rejoice, not to mention a couple of good recruits we still have on the board. I think Mac is going to succeed someplace. And, I think Butch Jones would be fun. I feel good about the process and the prospects.

Badinage
11-27-2012, 01:10 PM
We have quite a few Florida commits. Stoops should excite them!!!