PDA

View Full Version : got busted at airport by TSA

Doc
10-07-2015, 07:24 PM
For having explosives in my luggage! Headed on vacation and it was recommended we treat our clothes with bug spray prior to our trip so 2 days ago we sprayed as directed and packed. However, apparently DEET is chemically similar to certain explosives. TSA wanted to strip search my wife since she was wearing treated clothes. For those who have met shawn, you know how that went! Great way to start a vacation

PedroDaGr8
10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
It isn't even CLOSE structurally to any major explosives. If they are flagging on that, their system is complete ****. It is NOT a peroxide, it is NOT a poly-nitro, hell about the only thing it has is a phenyl group and a nitrogen. Honestly, it is much more likely that DEET flagged as an amphetamine derivative as structurally, that is the closest thing it resembles.

MickintheHam
10-07-2015, 08:26 PM
We need the Feds to investigate TSA.

bigsky
10-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I Had travelled with a .32 colt through montana while a regent. My wife used my carry-on to fly to florida through DFW and left secured area to smoke a cigarette. When she came back through security , they sniffed some Hoppes or gunpowder residue and went nuts. She barely made her flight two hours later.

suncat05
10-08-2015, 09:17 AM
We need the Feds to investigate TSA.

People in Hell need ice water, too!

Doc
10-08-2015, 10:19 AM
It isn't even CLOSE structurally to any major explosives. If they are flagging on that, their system is complete ****. It is NOT a peroxide, it is NOT a poly-nitro, hell about the only thing it has is a phenyl group and a nitrogen. Honestly, it is much more likely that DEET flagged as an amphetamine derivative as structurally, that is the closest thing it resembles.

It was that or the permethrin. Initially pulled us for the aerosolcans that was an honest mistake, in the wrong suitcase. Then the swabbed all our clothes and it came out positive

suncat05
10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
How is it that this stuff always seems to happen with you & Darrell? Do you guys travel around with Jeff Foxworthy stickers on your luggage that says "you might be a terrorist if............"

Darrell KSR
10-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I haven't had anything recently. Had a Seinfeld episode a few weeks ago where Hertz took my reservation, but failed to reserve a car. It really didn't matter that much to me, I was hit or miss on renting one for the weekend anyway. So I did my best Jerry Seinfeld impersonation, and used his episode where he had the same thing happen. I had a blast as the poor clerk played along.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jazyd
10-08-2015, 05:44 PM
For having explosives in my luggage! Headed on vacation and it was recommended we treat our clothes with bug spray prior to our trip so 2 days ago we sprayed as directed and packed. However, apparently DEET is chemically similar to certain explosives. TSA wanted to strip search my wife since she was wearing treated clothes. For those who have met shawn, you know how that went! Great way to start a vacation

Doc, had the same thing happen to us coming back from Canada a few years ago. Pulled us aside and put us in that machine. Never told us what set it off but now with what you had on your clothes that was it because we had sprayed some of ours also. Somehow it also got on my laptop and the guy made me open it carefully. I thought if it was a damn bomb it would blow us all up right there. total idiot.

Doc
10-08-2015, 05:48 PM
How is it that this stuff always seems to happen with you & Darrell? Do you guys travel around with Jeff Foxworthy stickers on your luggage that says "you might be a terrorist if............"

When you travel a lot, sh!t happen. When you travel a lot to odd locations, odd sh!t happens

CitizenBBN
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I think a big part of it is that Doc and Darrell both take these things in life and weaves them into a fabric. When I encounter them I lose my mind and spin off into a new plane of mental self-torture. That doesn't make for fun reading so I don't post them.

Well at least not fun reading for me, you guys may be entertained. I just try to keep from getting arrested or drunk. :)

Doc, I once flew after spending a day cleaning a bunch of guns. I scrubbed like mad, was afraid I'd still set off the detectors. Nothing happened, but I think that's a testament to the issues in our security system more than anything. You get flagged for bug spray, I was recently up to my armpits in gunpowder and firearms solvents and nada.

dan_bgblue
10-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Jazy did you know that you can kill chiggers and ringworm using permethrin found in headlice shampoo?

Did not know about ringworm, but permethrin is a great product to put put on socks, and other outer wear when stomping around the great outdoors. Makes the chiggers and ticks run away or die before they get to your skin. I buy it at a big box store and dilute it to a 2% active permethrin 98% water solution and put it in a spray bottle. I spray the articles of clothing and let it dry before putting them on.

Doc
10-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Ringworm is a fungus and not killed by an insecticide. Miconazole, ketoconazole, fluconazole, etc will kill it but not permethrins or pyrethrins.