PDA

View Full Version : what are they teaching in school today

jazyd
10-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Had one of our employees, high school senior at a very good school...supposedly....who came to get me with a question. Customer came in to pick up a cheer uniform and she owed a balance. So employee tells me customer owes a balance and should she give her the balance of $100. Well, the uniform was only $56.44 so I looked at her like where is the $100 coming from. So I go out and the balance is $25.44 which is marked on the sheet...balance $25.44. Customer had a $100 bill and my employee didn't know how to figure the difference that she owed the customer. She couldn't subtract $25.44 from $100 on a calculator.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2015, 07:07 PM
I guess that's why they're going to Common Core math. Maybe with common core they learn how to add and subtract in the elementary school years.

jazyd
10-06-2015, 11:30 PM
I guess that's why they're going to Common Core math. Maybe with common core they learn how to add and subtract in the elementary school years.

No they will learn how to group, look at squares and cicles

CitizenBBN
10-06-2015, 11:50 PM
The only hope I have left for the nation, esp. educationally, is that I just wont' live long enough to see its complete demise.

What they are doing to education now can't be explained by sheer stupidity or insanity. I have to assume it's either a foreign Manchurian Candidate plot or mind control by aliens who see us as a threat. If you rounded up the dumbest person in each state and put them all on a committee they wouldn't come up with something as bad as the federal standards that have been coming out the last 15-20 years for education.

B/c this isn't hard. Read, write, do math. Teach them English, teach them math, read books. make them read literature, history, geography, then start into chemistry, biology. No touchy feely "there are no right answers" new age crap, b/c boys and girls when it comes to grammar and math and chemistry there absolutely is a single right answer 99% of the time. Only when you get into quantum mechanics do we start to stretch the question of which answer is correct, and that won't get covered in high school.

suncat05
10-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I think I've told you guys tbefore, but some of our new Deputies coming out of the Academy now just cannot write a report for squat. They don't understand "who, what, when, where, why, and how", even though that is how it is taught.
I read some of these reports before First Appearance Hearings, and I am just stunned at how poorly they are written, and many times cannot understand what even happened.
They're not dumb, by any stretch of the imagination, but things like sentence structure, spelling, telling the chronological history of the event from start to finish, getting good witness statements.........I'm amazed the Judge finds probable cause for some of these arrests.

Darrell KSR
10-07-2015, 10:39 AM
B/c this isn't hard. Read, write, do math.

I think I've told you guys tbefore, but some of our new Deputies coming out of the Academy now just cannot write a report for squat. They don't understand "who, what, when, where, why, and how", even though that is how it is taught.

In all seriousness (and Jazy knew I was poking at him with "Common Core," a pet peeve of his) -- what is the issue?

The young lady Jazy referenced was taught the same way we were taught math. Why doesn't she know it?

CitizenBBN says it's not hard. I agree. So why?

Suncat says deputies today are taught the way to write, but don't do it. Why not?

It's not the teaching (we'll save common core criticisms for another day, obviously). Jazy referenced the young lady coming from a good school in a good school district. The deputies that Suncat mentioned are obviously reasonably intelligent (and some moreso than that). All are capable. Why aren't they learning?

They are taught. Why aren't they learning?

suncat05
10-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Well, with our guys, and probably most other occupations too, after awhile, and even after countless repetitive actions, some of these guys still have a hard time grasping the paperwork necessary for doing this job.
A lot of them actually come to me for help, either in person or by phone. I feel like I need to be receiving instructor's pay sometimes.
I just don't get what is so difficult about it. Once you know all the little 'ins -n-outs' of this job it really is pretty simple. Report writing is so easy, but then again I have been doing this for 35+ years too.
But I am full agreement with Darrell, how come they just can't figure this out?

KeithKSR
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
In all seriousness (and Jazy knew I was poking at him with "Common Core," a pet peeve of his) -- what is the issue?

The young lady Jazy referenced was taught the same way we were taught math. Why doesn't she know it?

The problem is she hasn't been taught the same way. Since the advent of No Child Left Behind the pressure has been on teachers to teach vast numbers of outcomes. The curriculum is a mile wide and an inch deep. Back when most of us were in school the teachers had the luxury of spending more time on the basics, and if students had trouble even more time was spent on it.

jazyd
10-08-2015, 05:50 PM
The problem is she hasn't been taught the same way. Since the advent of No Child Left Behind the pressure has been on teachers to teach vast numbers of outcomes. The curriculum is a mile wide and an inch deep. Back when most of us were in school the teachers had the luxury of spending more time on the basics, and if students had trouble even more time was spent on it.

ding ding.

Had a teacher tell me she loves common core because the learn so many ways to do math, I told her they are taught different ways but they do not learn how to actually do it.
Like citizen said, reading, riting, rithmetic worked pretty good. Helped my generation put a man on the moon, a man in space, new heart in a chest, polio vaccine, computers, the guy who came up with the I phone was my age, etc, etc, etc. Pretty basic education, except we learned it.

badrose
10-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Can we talk about work ethics or is that another thread?

kingcat
10-10-2015, 11:11 PM
The problem is likely mental clutter and concentration. We live in a time where there are two worlds to manage for most everyone.
And there is usually a program or software to solve any problem in either..

Maybe she just needed a voice command calculator. Besides, who pushes buttons anymore?

And what's a hundred dollar bill anyway?
http://balasrini.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/credit-card-fraud-india.jpg