PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Follow Twitter?

Bakert
10-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Started to post this on the other board but thought it fit better here. Once upon a time I used Tweetdeck (I think that was it) but seem to remember it doesn't work anymore. Just curious for those of you who follow Twitter a lot (Darrell! :)) how you manage it without it being overwhelming.

KSRBEvans
10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just use the Twitter app on my phone or go to twitter.com on my computer.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Tweetdeck still works. I use that from my desktop.

I like TweetCaster Pro (believe it's just a couple of bucks, IIRC, and gets rid of ads) for phone.

It overwhelms me though. I just dip into it a few times a day and then exit out.

The key - which I have not managed to do that well - is judiciously deciding who to follow. Too many people and it's terrible.

TweetCaster works well if you have multiple twitter accounts. I have a personal one, one for my kids school publicity, etc. The six accounts can be switched with a tap.

TweetCaster also allows you to "zip" people so their posts don't show up, which you can turn on and off. It shows up as a zipper when they post, so if you change your mind, you can unzip it.
But make no mistake. It freaking overwhelms everybody.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
10-06-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just use the Twitter app on my phone or go to twitter.com on my computer.

I think either works fine, especially for reading.

Tweetdeck is amazingly good for sifting and doing different things. I have a column set up for "Kentucky writers," which has a dozen or so that I like to follow who post 95% UK-related stuff. There's the normal timeline that covers everything. There's a column for what I post. You can "schedule" tweets and put a column for that so you can see what you're going to post (I do that for stories that Larry, Lonny and gang do from time to time). You can set up columns in a heartbeat (do a search for Louisville sex scandal, and set that up, or "Rick Pitino," or whatever) and it will just show those as they appear, etc.

Really nice for a desktop. I was slow to adopt it and was at SEC Media Days a few years ago and saw somebody using it and talked to them about it. Watching them for five minutes and you see just how easy it is to do "stuff." On the rare occasion I'm at a UK game "covering" it, it's great because I have a dozen or more set of eyes watching the same thing if I miss something.

EDIT: Tweetcaster Pro also has the same features, but I don't use them as much. I played around with it a little before making this edit, and really cool that I'm not even using some of the features I cherish so much on Tweetdeck lol.

Bakert
10-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Darrell! I will have to download Tweetdeck. Not sure why I thought it was no longer operational. But I had columns for "Sports," "UK Sports," "News," etc. As you suggest, I would jump in a few times each day just to browse the latest stuff.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Darrell! I will have to download Tweetdeck. Not sure why I thought it was no longer operational. But I had columns for "Sports," "UK Sports," "News," etc. As you suggest, I would jump in a few times each day just to browse the latest stuff.

I don't think you have to download it, just go to www.tweetdeck.com.

I think twitter bought it? But it still works.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

StuBleedsBlue2
10-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm a huge fan of Flipboard. I have all my Social Media accounts linked at it reads like a magazine. It's super easy to categorize your favorite sources too. Plus, you can create custom "magazines" by topics that you define and when you see a tweet, or an article, you just "flip" it into a magazine.

I do it a lot with music, but now that I think about it, I have no idea why I didn't creat a UK basketball 2014-15 season magazine to hold every article that came across my Twitter feed last season. That would make an excellent "scrapbook". I'm going to start one now for this year.

Highly recommend it.